PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts on Mike Adams?

steelchamp204
10-22-2012, 01:28 PM
Watching Mike Adams lastnight and was very happy with his performance. Yes, he did have Miller and Paulsen helping him at times. What stood out at me was the Rainey touchdown. Adams kicked out his guy easily then went on and took out the middle linebacker I believe which opened the hole for Rainey to explode though. There were some plays where Mike got blown of the ball to where it looked like he was going to get pancacked. Pass protection was pretty decent, but in time I think he will get quicker feet.

Also, prop to Legursky at Center. He was making good signal calls lastnight and did good in run/pass blocking as well.

Question: Is Adams going to be Max's replacement? Or they going to move Gilbert over in the future? Thanks.

Zachintosh66
10-22-2012, 01:33 PM
he can run block...

BlitzburghRockCity
10-22-2012, 01:35 PM
Like I said in another thread, the only way this kid is going to get any good is with experience. I don't mind if Miller and Paulson help him out, both still got involved in the passing game, and the run game was much improved with the extra blockers. At least with Adams in there we aren't having Gilbert falling down and taking out the knees of our own players...

LatrobePA
10-22-2012, 01:40 PM
He allowed one bad sack but for the most part I felt he was taking care of his man.. He looked very athletic in doing so, I think he'll be a special player with time.

steelchamp204
10-22-2012, 01:53 PM
You guys think if Adams plays this well the next couple weeks, or depending on how long Gilbert is out. He will remain the starter? I still think they put Gilbert back in to start when he gets healthy. Would it be the right move though if Adams is improving? I dont know. Time will tell I guees. It was nice to see the old pittsburgh days lastnight running the ball when the defense knew when we were running.

JoeSteelerFan
10-22-2012, 02:03 PM
This guy will be twice the lineman he is now at this time next year. Couple that with the return of DeCastro.

Good things for the offense, good things.

LatrobePA
10-22-2012, 02:09 PM
I think he can unseat Gilbert in the next couple weeks.

steelersbabex25
10-22-2012, 02:12 PM
Kind of hard for me to tell anything about Mike Adams judging by yesterday because he did have so much help. We'll see in the next few weeks if they'll start giving him a little more responsibility.

steelchamp204
10-22-2012, 02:15 PM
I think he can unseat Gilbert in the next couple weeks.

Think Gilbert will be moved over to Max's spot next year? Or just be a backup? Gilbert still has alot of potential. I dont want to give up on him already, its going to be a tough decision. I think Tomlin puts Gilbert back in when healthy due to the fact that he has experience.

LatrobePA
10-22-2012, 02:17 PM
Think Gilbert will be moved over to Max's spot next year? Or just be a backup? Gilbert still has alot of potential. Im dont want to give up on him already, its going to be a tough decision. I think Tomlin puts Gilbert back in when healthy due to the fact that he has experience.

Possible but Max has been very solid so far this year but I'd say that in time that will be how it should shake out.

K Train
10-22-2012, 02:30 PM
Kind of hard for me to tell anything about Mike Adams judging by yesterday because he did have so much help. We'll see in the next few weeks if they'll start giving him a little more responsibility.

better than having too much to say about him because he receives no help. Hes so athletic, the pass blocking will come in time hes improved every week, i think he will turn into a dominant player, right now using him in a way hes most effective (with TE help and making him get to the second level as a run blocker) is very smart, better than what arians would do and put him one on one with the other teams best pass rusher and watching him get smoked

Goodfrom55
10-22-2012, 02:33 PM
Like I said in another thread, the only way this kid is going to get any good is with experience. I don't mind if Miller and Paulson help him out, both still got involved in the passing game, and the run game was much improved with the extra blockers. At least with Adams in there we aren't having Gilbert falling down and taking out the knees of our own players...

Having Miller and Paulson stay in and help out Adams actually helped those guys get open because when they stayed in to help out and then sneak out into space, The Bengals didn't account for them in coverage.

steelchamp204
10-22-2012, 03:14 PM
Having Miller and Paulson stay in and help out Adams actually helped those guys get open because when they stayed in to help out and then sneak out into space, The Bengals didn't account for them in coverage.

The exciting thing is. The offense was not hindered by having the extra TE at times to help Adams block.

Stone
10-22-2012, 03:26 PM
Thoughts on Mike Adams?

Strong as a bull....but not quite as smart!

Nolrog
10-22-2012, 09:59 PM
I thought he played pretty well. Could run block pretty good and with help, he was OK in the pass as well. I'm really happy with his game.

Big T
10-22-2012, 10:04 PM
It'll take some time, but he's going to be a good one. He's got great feet for a big man and has the potential to dominate in the run game, which he showed flashes of last night. He just needs to get the mental aspects down.

Black@Gold Forever32
10-22-2012, 10:13 PM
better than having too much to say about him because he receives no help. Hes so athletic, the pass blocking will come in time hes improved every week, i think he will turn into a dominant player, right now using him in a way hes most effective (with TE help and making him get to the second level as a run blocker) is very smart, better than what arians would do and put him one on one with the other teams best pass rusher and watching him get smoked

This....Agree Ktrain........I want Mike Adams to play so the best way for him to improve is by playing.....I like Gilbert as well but wish he would just learn to stay on his feet better and quit taking his own teammates out.....lol

LatrobePA
10-22-2012, 11:40 PM
To me Adams is mean and Gilbert is "nice"... I like a mean mad tackle..

FlatsSteeler
10-23-2012, 09:53 AM
The problem as I see it is we have two young promising Right Tackles, in time giving the edge to Adams(he should remain the starter)......Steelers need a solid Left Tackle, I am not sure either one of these guys can fit that bill, and we won't know until they get on the field in real Games.........Steelers may want to start using Adams at LT a few series when Gilbert is back and vice versa.......Oh and for all of the Legursky Haters.....The guy comes in and does what he is asked to do ...WITHOUT FAIL.....I don't see any drop off when he replaces the anointed "Glass Center"......

Real Deal Steel
10-23-2012, 10:55 AM
We need to use free agency to get a "for real" left tackle.

FlatsSteeler
10-23-2012, 12:10 PM

Can't argue that........

SnakeEyes43
10-23-2012, 12:38 PM
I'll take Adams over Gilbert. The fact that Gilbert has taken out two of our starting linemen doesn't sit well with me. Plus Adams needs the reps, give them to him! Gilbert is a nice back up to have though.

LatrobePA
10-23-2012, 12:39 PM
I'll take Adams over Gilbert. The fact that Gilbert has taken out two of our starting linemen doesn't sit well with me. Plus Adams needs the reps, give them to him! Gilbert is a nice back up to have though.

Pretty sure he rolled up Pouncey too. He's a teddy bear!

connecticutsteel
10-23-2012, 12:51 PM
Can't argue that........

I can. Who says he can't be a Left Tackle He was drafted as a Left Tackle and he will one for the Steelers probably as early as next year .He is playing Right Tackle because the alternitive is too scary Kelvin Beachum or John Malecki plus he needs to play to get used to the speed of the game. Players like Joe Thomas ,Matt Kalil and Jason Peters are rare . Max Starks was drafted as a Right Tackle. Mike Adams is on the rise he's doin fine .Rielly Reiff isn't starting for the lions he's not even on the field

cmerrifield
10-23-2012, 12:57 PM

Again, with only 35 players under contract we have no cap room. Where would we find money for a real LT? And don't say cut Hampton, Foote, Allen or anyone else who isn't under contract next year.

sent from my Galaxy SIII using tapatalk 2

FlatsSteeler
10-23-2012, 01:29 PM
I think Adams will be ok and may even prove to be a good LT, he needs time at the position to prove himself and learn......But who could argue that if a Good PROVEN LT showed up in the Free Agency we wouldn't be crazy not to go after him......or in Dan Dierdorfs case her......

Big T
10-23-2012, 02:01 PM
Both Adams and Gilbert are capable of taking over LT next year...

LatrobePA
10-23-2012, 02:06 PM
Adams back in this week.. Gilbert out!

K Train
10-23-2012, 02:19 PM
Again, with only 35 players under contract we have no cap room. Where would we find money for a real LT? And don't say cut Hampton, Foote, Allen or anyone else who isn't under contract next year.

cap is gonna go up significantly next year

cmerrifield
10-23-2012, 02:39 PM

Not next season, its the season after that where the new tv money will push the cap up.

Nolrog
10-23-2012, 08:46 PM

Left tackles aren't exactly cheap either. If they are going after a FA, something I strongly advocate by the way, the defense needs far more help. Get a Farrior or Ryan Clark kind of guy, or hell, even a back up safety better than Mundy. Far too much on D needed to spend that much on the line, as nice as it would be.

Nolrog
10-23-2012, 08:49 PM

No it's not. And it won't the year after either.

Quote:
So, according to Kraft and Bloomberg, the NFL's revenue increase will not be a large jump from one year to the next, but a gradual increase, with the final annual rate being much larger than the current rates.
Endquote:

http://www.thephinsider.com/2012/3/26/2902472/will-the-2014-nfl-salary-cap-actually-increase-dramatically

LatrobePA
10-23-2012, 09:20 PM
I'm perfectly fine going into next season with the guys we have now.

Big T
10-24-2012, 10:34 AM
Mike Adams named to PFF's team of the week:

Tackles: D’Brickashaw Ferguson, NYJ (+4.1) and Mike Adams, PIT (+3.9)

Ferguson edged out Trent Williams with a superb display against rookie sensation Chandler Jones, giving up just one hurry. Meanwhile for the Steelers, Mike Adams had his best game to date, doing some excellent work in the running game.

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2012/10/23/team-of-the-week-week-7/

Big T
10-24-2012, 10:40 AM
Piece on Pittsburgh Post Gazette:

The Steelers discovered something besides a road victory Sunday night in Cincinnati: An offensive line that looks as if it can shake off the shaky reputation of its past and perform at a level not seen from them in several years.

The line might have had its best game against a good Cincinnati front, and it did so with two of the five positions filled by backups. One of those second-teamers, though, might soon become a regular starter.

Rookie Mike Adams made his first NFL start because of an injury to right tackle Marcus Gilbert and did well enough to have Mike Tomlin singing his praises again Tuesday.

"We're optimistic about his talent level and what he's capable of being. He didn't do anything to hurt that assessment. I think he's continuing to be a guy on the rise. I think his performance was a solid one. I thought he was good in the run game. I thought he was good on the second level, some combination blocks, and I thought he represented himself well in pass pro[tection]. It's a nice next step for him."

This comes from a coach who through the years would hold back praise for rookies and point out that they were, well, rookies, especially after one like Adams has taken so few snaps.

Adams has done well in the past seven quarters playing for the injured Gilbert, and that sets up a possible long-term competition between their past two second-round draft choices. Or does it?

After the Steelers drafted guard David DeCastro, they said they were moving Gilbert, who started 14 games at right tackle as a rookie in 2011, to left tackle. Then, they drafted Adams, a left tackle from Ohio State, in the second round. Then, they re-signed left tackle Max Starks.

The plan shifted. Starks would play left tackle until Adams was ready to move in, and Gilbert would remain at right tackle. But their thinking could again change, especially if Adams continues to perform well at right tackle.

Adams did not do so well as a left tackle in the preseason. One source from another team cited him as too slow-footed for the position. Quick feet are not as necessary at right tackle, a more run-blocking position and one that often has a tight end to his right and does not protect the quarterback's blind side or usually go against the opponent's top pass rusher.

On the other hand, Tomlin has said left tackle is Gilbert's more natural position, and Gilbert said he'd prefer the left side if given a choice.

It sounds as if the Steelers young tackles could be in for a switch in sides. Neither is ready to move Starks out on the left. Adams, though, could stay at right tackle this season if he continues to play well there.

Sunday, Adams will face Washington Redskins outside linebacker Ryan Kerrigan, a first-round draft choice in 2011 with 3 1/2 sacks and an interception this season.

"I'm sure he is excited about having the next opportunity to prove his skills against a solid pass rusher like Kerrigan," Tomlin said.

http://www.post-gazette.com/stories/sports/steelers/long-solid-line-forms-for-steelers-at-tackle-658881/

I am all for having Gilbert at LT next year with Adams at RT. hard not to be optimistic about this line in the future.

connecticutsteel
10-24-2012, 11:01 AM
Piece on Pittsburgh Post Gazette:

http://www.post-gazette.com/stories/sports/steelers/long-solid-line-forms-for-steelers-at-tackle-658881/

I am all for having Gilbert at LT next year with Adams at RT. hard not to be optimistic about this line in the future.

I must be watching a different guy there is no way Gilberts fat *** has quicker feet than Adams. Adams just needs to play so he can adjust to the speed of the game

Big T
10-24-2012, 01:43 PM
I must be watching a different guy there is no way Gilberts fat *** has quicker feet than Adams. Adams just needs to play so he can adjust to the speed of the game

Gilbert's strength is pass protection. Adams' strength is run blocking, though he'll be a good all around tackle. Both are capable of playing either side, but I think Adams can be a dominant RT in this league, and Gilbert can be a solid LT. ****, last season Gilbert was rated the 13th best tackle by PFF in terms of pass protection. That's out of RTs and LTs, and he was just a rookie. They drafted him as a LT, but moved to the right because Colon got hurt. The man can play LT. It really doesn't matter to me, they'll both be fine whichever side they're on.