PDA

View Full Version : Switching to the 4-3 defense?

Steel In The South
10-17-2012, 12:01 AM
Due to the current state of the defense, I feel like it would be a good idea to make the switch away from the 3-4. Although it would be a hard pill to swallow after the years of success from the current D, it's something that need to be done with the decline of the defense, With the personal we have now, the defense would be better fit with four lineman. We have done a pretty **** poor job of drafting on the defensive side of the ball in the past 5 years. Players such as Sean Spence, Cris Carter, Jason Worilds, Curtis Brown, Ryan Mundy, Ziggy Hood, Ta'amu, Thaddeus Gibson and Bruce Davis just to name a few. All of those players were drafted with the hope that they would develop into players to eventually take over as full time starters. We have no backups or young players who will make an impact in the years to come. Switch to a 4-3, start from scratch. Put Hood, McClendon, Heyward and Woodley as your four down lineman. Timmons, Foote, and either James Harrison or Jason Worlids as the backers. I think this move would be a good one for the future of the Steelers. What ya think?

terrible.towel43
10-17-2012, 12:30 AM
How can you call Spence Worilds and Hood busts? Spence is a rookie, and the other two are also still young. Mundy was a 6th round pick, carter a 5th round. Late round picks don't have a great chance of being game changing players. You could go to any team and name players that didn't work out in the late rounds.

Steel In The South
10-17-2012, 12:59 AM
Well Hood and Worlids have been in the league long enough and havent done enough with their opportunities in my opinion. And those are the two main players that people tend to think could make an impact. Other than those two, I dont anyone to step in for the older players like Harrison, Polamalu, Clark or Keislel. Even the two corners they drafted recently have been anything spectatcular. I just think the drafting strategy over the past few years has been questionable and not one player has turned out to be very much. LeBeau will be gone soon enough and Tomlin ran a 4-3 defense on every other team he has coached. It would be a tough transition at first, but our personnel actaully fits that scheme pretty well.

steelchamp204
10-17-2012, 01:52 AM
How and the hell is Spence a bust??? He hasnt even played a snap yet in his career. You do know he is injured right?? The other guys you mentioned havent had the reps or on the field (Tamu).

Goodfrom55
10-17-2012, 09:27 AM
Key to any defense, regardless of the front, is penetration. If the defense isn'y getting penetration, then you can forget stopping the run or pressuring the QB. A 4-3 might help with the pass rush, but the Steelers are not equipped for a 40. Sure, they have McClendon and perhaps Tamu on the inside, Heyward is a stretch at DE, but Hood certainly is not a 40 DE. Plus we would need LB's that can run. Outside of Timmons, Spence, and possibly Woody, no one fits the mold.

However, I do beieve to some extent, change is coming; to what degree or when, I'm not sure.

Steel In The South
10-17-2012, 11:03 AM
I think Hood could put on some weight and him and either Ta'amu or McClendon could start at the tackle positions. Put Heyward as one of the ends and maybe Woodley as the other pass rusher, just because i think he would be a liability in pass coverage, so just use his greatest strength which is rushing the passer. You would probably have to draft or sign a couple linebackers to fit this scheme though because Harrison is about done in my opinion, Spence is too small, Foote has MAYBE 2 years left and Worlids might take the next step, but who knows.

scudmissile29
10-17-2012, 12:17 PM
you call spence a bust?

idiot.

connecticutsteel
10-17-2012, 12:54 PM
We can't get any pressure with 3 down linemen so adding woodley who play up on the line in the majority of the plays anyway is gonna solve the problems i don't think so the only player you mentioned that might be considered abust to some is Ziggy Hood on ly because he was drafted in the first rd

Big T
10-17-2012, 12:54 PM
you call spence a bust?

idiot.

Says the guy who labeled DeCastro a bust immediately after his injury...

SnakeEyes43
10-17-2012, 12:58 PM
Says the guy who labeled DeCastro a bust immediately after his injury...

Zing!

Steel In The South
10-17-2012, 02:54 PM
I dont think spence is a bust, but his size to me, just doesnt make him a fit in our D.....maybe a good special teams player

And realistically, is there any young players currently on the defense who you think will be an impact player, besides Cam Heyward....keep in mind seven of our starters are on the decline and need to be replaced within possibly two years.

Nolrog
10-17-2012, 07:05 PM
How can you call Spence Worilds and Hood busts?

Agree about Spence. He's yet to play one down of NFL football. Jury will be out on him for 2-3 more years.

Worilds, on the other hand, has been around a while now. 2nd round pick in 2010. This is his 3rd full year. He still has the same problems that he had when drafted (speed guy, cannot blow people away and cannot power rush.) He's a bust for a 2nd round pick, which I've been saying for a while now.

Ziggy, on the other hand is an OK player. This is his 4th year and while we don't ask our DEs to make tons of plays, he's underwhelmed. Coupled with the fact that he was a first round pick, and we could say we didn't get first round value out of this pick.

LatrobePA
10-17-2012, 07:18 PM
I say ditch the old man, find a younger more aggressive DC, dummy down the defense so a rookie or 2nd year guy can actually understand wtf they're doing.. This is football right? The same fundamentals apply I assume, stop the opposing team, ok let's do that, all the fancy zone blitzing **** is overrated. Just attack the ball!!

Steel In The South
10-17-2012, 07:33 PM
well either way, something has to be done. The defense is a mess with no clear help on the way. I think Tomlin has the ability to change the D to a 4-3 due to his days in Minnesota and Tampa(both 4-3 defenses). And whoever is making the draft decisions on the defensive side of the ball needs to be stripped of that duty.

SteelDad
10-18-2012, 12:25 PM
We are not switching to a 4-3 anytime soon. Period. End of Report.