PDA

View Full Version : Harrison: I've had "double-digit" concussions

BlacknGold Bleeder
10-16-2012, 05:06 PM
By WILL GRAVES, AP

PITTSBURGH (AP) Pittsburgh Steelers linebacker James Harrison didn't want to wait for the NFL to do something about protecting his head, so the four-time Pro Bowler decided to do it himself.

After enduring what he estimated as ``double digit'' bouts with concussion-like symptoms throughout his decade-long career, Harrison began using a special layer of padding inside his helmet last fall and is pleased with the results.

``I haven't seen any spots or had any blackouts,'' Harrison said Tuesday.

Harrison was the first NFL player to use the CRT padding developed by Unequal Technologies inside his helmet. Philadelphia Eagles quarterback Michael Vick began using a flak jacket lined with military-grade Kevlar during the 2010 season, but Harrison was the first player to put the quarter-inch padding in his helmet.

He's been joined around 100 players over the last 12 months and feels the extra weight (about 3-4 ounces) is worth the feeling of safety it provides.

``To protect my head I'd take a pound more,'' Harrison said.

The outspoken 2009 NFL Defensive Player of the Year believes the movement could catch on. One of the NFL's fiercest hitters, Harrison says he played through concussion-like symptoms in the past but as he's aged has become more wary of the long-lasting impact repeated head shots can have on a player's future health.

``If something works, I'm going to use it,'' he said.

The green padding uses material developed to protect combat military personnel. The padding square packs that can be cut into different shapes then stuck inside helmets from various sports, including hockey and baseball.

Harrison became aware of the product while looking for a little extra protection after fracturing his right orbital bone last season. Pittsburgh backup quarterback Charlie Batch, a member of the NFL Players Association's executive council, introduced CRT to player representatives from around the league, which quickly helped expand usage.

Unequal Technologies president Robert Vito said the product doesn't claim to prevent concussions but that anecdotal evidence from players from all levels seem to indicate the material can help minimize the recurrence of concussions.

Harrison noted the NFL has gone to great lengths to address concussions and hand out ``crazy fines'' to players who make illegal hits but haven't taken aggressive action in trying to update the equipment.

``The league is mandating next year that we wear thigh and knee pads,'' Harrison said. ``I don't know how many people's career has been ended on a thigh or knee bruise. We have guys now that are 30, 31 years old that are having to quit the game because they have severe headaches ... I think you should be focusing more on (the helmet) than knee or thigh pads.''

BlitzburghRockCity
10-16-2012, 07:17 PM
I think it's a no brainer; for the big guys on the interior lines and the linebackers I'd think they'd have no problem with the little extra weight. I could maybe see the DB's or WR's possibly not wanting it because their game is about speed and getting their head around to look for the ball.

BlacknGold Bleeder
10-16-2012, 08:51 PM
WR and DB need it as much as anybody on the field,how many are carted off after going over the middle? IF the NFL is serious about trying to keep players healthy the extra padding should be mandated asap. Like was stated in the article thigh pads and knee pads aren't going to make that much of a difference. On most knee injuries the knee is moved in directions it's not meant to be and a pad on the knee cap is not going to help...

Speeed
10-16-2012, 09:03 PM
My thought is "Sweet Mother Of God how hard does one have to hit to give Harrison a concussion ?"

Danger DANJ
10-17-2012, 12:56 AM
My thought is "Sweet Mother Of God how hard does one have to hit to give Harrison a concussion ?"

Harrison gives himself concussions.

Stone
10-17-2012, 08:57 AM
WR and DB need it as much as anybody on the field,how many are carted off after going over the middle? IF the NFL is serious about trying to keep players healthy the extra padding should be mandated asap. Like was stated in the article thigh pads and knee pads aren't going to make that much of a difference. On most knee injuries the knee is moved in directions it's not meant to be and a pad on the knee cap is not going to help...

It's all a smoke screen! IF the NFL were serious about player safety they would:
1. Migrate to a zero tolerance policy on steroids and performance enhancing drugs .....but then the freak show that brings in 10 Billion dollars wouldn't be quite so lucrative.
2. Stop methodically turning the game of football into a passing heavy game because our precious QB's are dropping back twice as much as they used to, and, more players get injured on passing plays more so than running plays.....but then the high flying show that brings in 10 Billion dollars wouldn't be quite so lucrative.

The NFL doesn't give a flying **** about player safety, they are simply putting up a smoke screen (concussion testing, and equipment dabbling) to stave off discussions about exactly what I have listed here.

Black@Gold Forever32
10-17-2012, 10:23 AM
It's all a smoke screen! IF the NFL were serious about player safety they would:
1. Migrate to a zero tolerance policy on steroids and performance enhancing drugs .....but then the freak show that brings in 10 Billion dollars wouldn't be quite so lucrative.
2. Stop methodically turning the game of football into a passing heavy game because our precious QB's are dropping back twice as much as they used to, and, more players get injured on passing plays more so than running plays.....but then the high flying show that brings in 10 Billion dollars wouldn't be quite so lucrative.

The NFL doesn't give a flying **** about player safety, they are simply putting up a smoke screen (concussion testing, and equipment dabbling) to stave off discussions about exactly what I have listed here.

One of the bests posts that I have read in a very long time....I agree 100% with everything you said.....Fuhrer Goodell and his player safety is such a farce.....

LatrobePA
10-17-2012, 01:48 PM
Harrison = Not bright!

Stone
10-18-2012, 04:18 PM
Harrison = Not bright!

How could you say that about such a cheerful, fun-loving, guy?:lol:

LatrobePA
10-18-2012, 04:21 PM
How could you say that about such a cheerful, fun-loving, guy?:lol:

Good thing for football or he'd be one pissed off burger flipper!