PDA

View Full Version : STOP PANICKING: IN WEAK AFC, 9-7 MAKES PLAYOFFS

steelspikes
10-16-2012, 12:35 PM
Only two AFC teams (Houston, Balt.) currently have over .500 records, so there's no need for Steeler fans to panic---yet. This Sun. is still very much a must win game. No team wants 4 losses in their first 6 games. If nobody gets hot, 8-8 could be good enough for a Wild Card birth; there is that much parity. Moreover, the two 5-1 AFC mentioned above, are both showing cracks with significant defensive injuries. If the Steelers can get to 3-3, we'll be fine.

Goodfrom55
10-16-2012, 01:20 PM
Steelers have lost 2 of their 3 games on last second FG's and are not finishing games. Until they they play 60 minutes, and take care of some internal bleeding, 9-7 could be a reach for this team. They are very talented, but defensively, they can't go out there and play the status quo and expect different results.

Raleigh Steel
10-16-2012, 02:10 PM
so we are striving for mediocrity now? we can make the playoffs at 9-7 and we should feel good about that? weren't we 12-4 last season and crapped the bed in the playoffs? and not much has changed since?

i'd rather see us finish 6-10 this season and get some higher picks than squeak into the playoffs and get drilled. the last time we finished 6-10 the draft gave us big ben.

i'd be okay with taking a season off to have a more successful future!

steelchamp204
10-16-2012, 02:18 PM
I still say they go 10-6. I know Im optimistic, but o well.

Goodfrom55
10-16-2012, 02:20 PM
I still say they go 10-6. I know Im optimistic, but o well.

I agree with you; I feel the same way. With the way the league is right now, Steelers "COULD" even go 11-5. but think 10-6 is more realistic. I would never mail in a season or hope they have a losing record just to get higher draft picks.

scudmissile29
10-16-2012, 02:50 PM
it also means ratbird home field advantage.

and when we go to the playoffs, we probably stink it up anyways

Black@Gold Forever32
10-16-2012, 03:02 PM
I'm not panicking but just being honest.....This team hasn't shown anything to suggest they will win 8-9 games and until they do I will continue to say they look like a 6-10 football team......

TEEMONT
10-16-2012, 03:17 PM
I dont think there is any reason to panic, until Ben gets hurt....then we can all panic

Goodfrom55
10-16-2012, 03:23 PM
Teh other thing is, regarding higher draft picks, yes, that draft did give us Ben, but this year, or the 2013 draft, Steelers definitely don't need a "Ben", but sure could use a safety, and an outside LB (IMO). OLB is a deep draft class, but I'm not sure about the safety.

Real Deal Steel
10-16-2012, 04:45 PM
Who's interested in just "making the playoffs" ???? I'm interested in SB championships.

I'd rather be 7-9 and out the playoffs, then to be 9-7 and then eliminated in the wildcard round of the playoffs. We need the high draft picks because looking at the secondary of this defense, our GM needs the highest picks he can get. gzzzzzzzzzzz

Goodfrom55
10-16-2012, 05:00 PM
The thing to remember is the last 2 SB champs were wildcard teams who qualified for the playoffs on the last day of the season. How many times have the Steelers been the #1 seed in the AFC and completely crapped the sheets? 1st round bye is nice, but the name of the game is getting to the playoffs and going from there. Steelers have had plenty of one and dones from the #1 or #2 seed, etc.

steelspikes
10-16-2012, 07:13 PM
The thing to remember is the last 2 SB champs were wildcard teams who qualified for the playoffs on the last day of the season. How many times have the Steelers been the #1 seed in the AFC and completely crapped the sheets? 1st round bye is nice, but the name of the game is getting to the playoffs and going from there. Steelers have had plenty of one and dones from the #1 or #2 seed, etc. Agreed. Anybody remember 2011 NY Giants? They were 9-7. It's all about who's healthiest and playing the best come the post-season. Really don't see any dominant teams out there right now.

BLACKandGOLD
10-16-2012, 07:30 PM
This is definitely not the time to panic. I have been frustrated like every other fan to this point but the window of opportunity is still open. The AFC is weak this year and the injuries to Raw Lewis and Webb will definitely help us out. We need to come out Sunday night and put on a good performance and hopefully that gets the ball rolling as we finish out the rest of the year. This team just needs some confidence, a win on the road on prime time will do just that.

scudmissile29
10-16-2012, 09:10 PM
Who's interested in just "making the playoffs" ???? I'm interested in SB championships.

I'd rather be 7-9 and out the playoffs, then to be 9-7 and then eliminated in the wildcard round of the playoffs. We need the high draft picks because looking at the secondary of this defense, our GM needs the highest picks he can get. gzzzzzzzzzzz

AGREEED

Steeldriven
10-16-2012, 09:41 PM
Steelers have lost 2 of their 3 games on last second FG's and are not finishing games. Until they they play 60 minutes, and take care of some internal bleeding, 9-7 could be a reach for this team. They are very talented, but defensively, they can't go out there and play the status quo and expect different results.

Well stated

SuperSteelers
10-16-2012, 10:57 PM
Only two AFC teams (Houston, Balt.) currently have over .500 records, so there's no need for Steeler fans to panic---yet. This Sun. is still very much a must win game. No team wants 4 losses in their first 6 games. If nobody gets hot, 8-8 could be good enough for a Wild Card birth; there is that much parity. Moreover, the two 5-1 AFC mentioned above, are both showing cracks with significant defensive injuries. If the Steelers can get to 3-3, we'll be fine.

IMHO Steelers will not win 9 games so it doesn't really matter.

cmerrifield
10-16-2012, 11:49 PM
I was a Braves fan in the 90's. I don't care if we make the playoffs, I want a Super Bowl contender and right now, we are not and I am not sure this team with this coaching staff can be.

sent from my Galaxy SIII using tapatalk 2

elephantman
10-17-2012, 12:07 AM
i'd rather see us finish 6-10 this season and get some higher picks than squeak into the playoffs and get drilled.

^Not Me, rather take the 9-7 over 6-10

elephantman
10-17-2012, 12:11 AM
9-7 is actually 7-4 for us in last 11 games, which is decent , so we wont (necessarily) be a bad team if we get their

BlitzburghRockCity
10-17-2012, 09:58 AM
Make no mistake, there are going to be some teams that start to separate themselves heading into late November and December. It happens every year. Although the AFC is definitely mediocre at best right now, and hanging around .500 isn't a death with by any stretch, you better be able to turn it on late in the year when it counts.

With so many teams all fighting for 2 wildcard spots it's going to get ugly.

Stone
10-17-2012, 10:02 AM
My disappointment doesn't come from how we are stacking up against the other teams, it comes from that fact that we no longer play Steeler football.

steelspikes
10-17-2012, 10:08 AM
My disappointment doesn't come from how we are stacking up against the other teams, it comes from that fact that we no longer play Steeler football.
I think rule changes have something to do with that. The days of Steeler D-backs launching and "blowing up" receivers are gone.

Stone
10-17-2012, 10:24 AM
I think rule changes have something to do with that. The days of Steeler D-backs launching and "blowing up" receivers are gone.

I don't mean the launching and blowing up...I mean simply dominating.

coldrolled
10-17-2012, 10:32 AM
weren't we 12-4 last season and crapped the bed in the playoffs? and not much has changed since?

We get pounded in December and lose a pile of players, ben is limping around we lose in the playoffs.

When the off season comes. Troy, Harrison, Woodley need to get repaired in the offseason not wait to see what happens in September.. They make millions.. They need to get fixed after the playoffs.

Now were back to Jan 1. again with the same injuries. So yes it looks like last year.

Black@Gold Forever32
10-17-2012, 11:18 AM
Until this team can show it can win a game on the road then I might think they could be a play-off team.....To me this team looks still like a 6-10 team.......The Steelers have to start showing me something......

TEEMONT
10-17-2012, 12:37 PM
Dominating? The Steelers havent dominated since the 70's. You'd think you would be used to it by now.

Even the last 2 SB winning Steeler teams weren't dominating. No team is going to dominate this league anymore, it just wont happen, the talent is too deep. "Steeler Football" is anitquated, it's time to move on from that.

Black@Gold Forever32
10-17-2012, 01:13 PM
Dominating? The Steelers havent dominated since the 70's. You'd think you would be used to it by now.

Even the last 2 SB winning Steeler teams weren't dominating. No team is going to dominate this league anymore, it just wont happen, the talent is too deep. "Steeler Football" is anitquated, it's time to move on from that.

well said........

Big T
10-17-2012, 01:14 PM
That 2008 defense was dominant. It was one of the best ever. Sure they almost let that Super Bowl slip away, but up til then they were phenomenal on defense.

TAMPA — This Steelers defense is not yet the legend that other Steelers defenses have become.

But if the defense leads Pittsburgh to a second Super Bowl in four years Sunday, the world will have no choice but to consider the 2008 Pittsburgh defense one of the greatest ever.

Unlike the Bears of 1985, this defense has achieved its status with little bravado and fanfare. Like star player Troy Polamalu, the Steelers speak softly but make the big stick.

Even in Pittsburgh, this defense is not revered like the Steel Curtain of the late '70s was. Gil Brandt, the former Cowboysexecutive who has been associated with the NFL since 1960, has an interesting perspective.

"This defense here is a better defense now than the Steel Curtain was," said Brandt, who currently works for NFL.com and Sirius radio. "What they have accomplished is unbelievable."

That's because Brandt believes it never has been more difficult to play great defense.

This season, scoring was the highest it has been since 1965, yet the Steelers held opponents to 13.9 points per game, including points given up on special teams and offense. So arguably, their points-allowed average was more impressive than the 9.8 average the 1976 Steelers defense allowed.

Brandt pointed out that back in the days of the Steel Curtain, offenses used only two formations rather than the seemingly countless sets that spread the field like never before.

In those days, the rules allowed defensive backs to jam receivers all the way down the field. And offensive linemen were not permitted to extend their arms or use their hands to grasp.

But the current Steelers defense stacks up very well against defenses from any era. It led the league in points allowed, yards allowed and passing yards allowed. It was second in rushing yards allowed. No team has led the league in all four categories since the NFL merger in 1970.

And it wasn't as if they were playing against 10-man offenses. The Steelers had a tough schedule, and they opposed five of the NFL's top 11 offenses.

Of course, they will have perhaps their greatest challenge yet and the best opportunity to cement their legacy in the Super Bowl when they square off against the Cardinals, who had the league's fourth-ranked offense.

It is easier to compare the 2008 Steelers with the 2001 Ravens and the 1985 Bears than to the 1976 Steelers because for the most part the more modern defenses have been playing by the same rules.

The 2001 Ravens were the best if the sole measuring stick is defensive points allowed. They gave up 152, compared to 189 for the '85 Bears and 205 for the 2008 Steelers.

But the Ravens didn't get after the quarterback the way the Bears did. The Bears had 64 sacks. The Steelers had 51 and the Ravens only 35. What's more, the Bears held opposing quarterbacks to a 47.4 passer rating, compared to 62.5 against the 2001 Ravens and 63.4 against the current Steelers.

The 2008 Steelers were the best of all three defenses when it comes to yards allowed per game (237.2) and yards allowed per play (3.9).

So you can see the 2008 Steelers, at the least, belong in the team picture for the greatest defenses.

Perhaps respect has been slow to come to this defense because it doesn't have as many dominating players as some of the other great defenses have had.

The Steel Curtain produced four Hall of Famers -- defensive tackle Joe Greene, linebackers Jack Lambert and Jack Ham and cornerback Mel Blount. Another player, L.C. Greenwood, has been a finalist for the Hall and could be inducted someday. The '85 Bears already have seen Dan Hampton and Mike Singletary inducted, and Richard Dent could join them Saturday. From the 2001 Ravens, Ray Lewis and Rod Woodson are likely Hall of Famers.

The only apparent candidate on the 2008 Steelers is Polamalu. It's too early to consider defensive player of the year James Harrison after only two excellent seasons.

The 2008 Steelers defense has only three Pro Bowlers, compared with eight for the 1976 Steelers defense and five for the 1985 Bears defense.

The current Steelers defense is more scheme-driven than personnel-driven, courtesy of the brilliance of Dick LeBeau. The defensive coordinator is respected as one of the premier game-planners and play-callers in the league. Like Bill Belichick, Rex Ryan and Jim Johnson, he creates confusion and dictates to offenses.

He has been able to make stars out of players like Harrison, who was undrafted and cut by the Ravens once and the Steelers twice.

But how they achieved what they have should not diminish the fact that collective efforts of the Steelers defense have been among the most impressive in recent NFL history.

- - -

Top defenses of the Super Bowl era

Ranked by Dan Pompei

1. 1985 Bears

No defense ever had a better combination of cutting-edgescheme and players who won the one-on-one matchups.

2. Steel Curtain (1970s Steelers)

Four Hall of Famers and four Super Bowl rings tells you all you need to know.

3. 2000 Ravens

Set the record for fewest points allowed in a season and won a Super Bowl with little help from the offense.

4. Purple People Eaters (1970s Vikings)

In 1971, they held opposing quarterbacks to a 40.4 passer rating.

5. 2008 Steelers: In an era of high-flying offenses, this defense bucked all the trends.

http://articles.chicagotribune.com/2009-01-29/sports/0901281162_1_steelers-steel-curtain-defense

Stone
10-17-2012, 01:20 PM

That's just silly! Steeler football will never be antiquated, or anitquated (whatever that is) because it means being elite, it means being at the top, it means being one of the most physical, it means being tough as nails. Now I'm sure you kids want Steeler football to look more like your video games but that is a watered down version of football and to say that the Steelers weren't dominant when they won the ultimate prize is D U M B dumb!

Black@Gold Forever32
10-17-2012, 01:30 PM
No doubt the 2008 defense was a dominating defense but its harder and harder for defenses to be consistently dominating like that due to the rules favoring the passing game so much.....Plus there is so much parity around the league in the NFL today......I think that is what Teemont was talking about.....

The Steelers were the 6th seed when they won Super Bowl XL....I would say that wasn't a dominating team......That team just got hot at the right time and went on an impressive roll.....Which is the norm lately....Look at the Giants in their last two Super Bowl titles.......

Stone
10-17-2012, 01:39 PM
No doubt the 2008 defense was a dominating defense but its harder and harder for defenses to be consistently dominating like that due to the rules favoring the passing game so much.....Plus there is so much parity around the league in the NFL today......I think that is what Teemont was talking about.....

The Steelers were the 6th seed when they won Super Bowl XL....I would say that wasn't a dominating team......That team just got hot at the right time and went on an impressive roll.....Which is the norm lately....Look at the Giants in their last two Super Bowl titles.......

We were the 2nd seed in 2008 and there's a misconception about the 2005 season when we actually were the 6th seed, This is a misconception that even Steeler fans labor under. It's true that they were the sixth seed but if you remember, or look it up, they were the 2nd or 3rd ranked team in most powers rankings until week 10 when we lost Ben and a "host" of key players in a game against the Browns. We went on a three game losing streak without those players and then ran the table when they came back.

Black@Gold Forever32
10-17-2012, 01:50 PM
We were the 2nd seed in 2008 and there's a misconception about the 2005 season when we actually were the 6th seed, This is a misconception that even Steeler fans labor under. It's true that they were the sixth seed but if you remember, or look it up, they were the 2nd or 3rd ranked team in most powers rankings until week 10 when we lost Ben and a "host" of key players in a game against the Browns. We went on a serious losing streak without those players and then ran the table when they came back.

I remember just fine...Fact remains the Steelers were a 6th seed and not a dominating team....Its not a knock on them at all......Just saying when we look at the alltime dominating teams in NFL history the 2005 Steelers would not be one of them.....Please don't use power rankings for an argument.......Power rankings are so pointless......

Stone
10-17-2012, 02:01 PM
I remember just fine...Fact remains the Steelers were a 6th seed and not a dominating team....Its not a knock on them at all......Just saying when we look at the alltime dominating teams in NFL history the 2005 Steelers would not be one of them.....Please don't use power rankings for an argument.......Power rankings are so pointless......

I agree that power rankings are pointless but the point you are missing is that the Steelers "were" dominant for the 2005 season right up through the Superbowl win, with the exception of that 3 game streak. With the exception of that 3 game streak they were 15-2 and outscored their opponents by 445-240. That's dominant, you are just trying to hold on to a fallacy.

MikeC
10-17-2012, 02:10 PM
9-7 is actually 7-4 for us in last 11 games, which is decent , so we wont (necessarily) be a bad team if we get their

Well said. If we make the playoffs, we're good enough to win the super bowl. Look at the two recent Giants steams that won the SB. Neither were dominant during all of the regular season, but they had a hot second half and that was good enough to win.

Losing at the last minute in the early regular season generally means the other team got lucky more so than our team being bad. Look at the Packers. After they bulldozed the Texans, I dont' think anyone is second guessing their chance at winning the SB even though they've had the slowest of all slow starts.

SteelCityKid5
10-17-2012, 02:49 PM
This team hasn't been healthy all year. We have yet to play as a whole unit. Im talking every player who's suppose to be a starter starting. That worries me. I hear "once we get healthy" but will we? We havent been the whole season. Also, it makes absolutely no sense to root for 9-7 make the playoffs and lose early. I dont care if you do not see it but in the long run a losing season makes for higher draft picks which makes for a better team later on. This team has holes and I for one would like them to be addressed pick 1-10 not 18-32.

SuperSteelers
10-17-2012, 03:06 PM

That is all relative on how you look football. Teams may not dominate a decade but they sure as hell can dominate the league for a season or two.

Black@Gold Forever32
10-17-2012, 03:15 PM
I agree that power rankings are pointless but the point you are missing is that the Steelers "were" dominant for the 2005 season right up through the Superbowl win, with the exception of that 3 game streak. With the exception of that 3 game streak they were 15-2 and outscored their opponents by 445-240. That's dominant, you are just trying to hold on to a fallacy.

I'm not trying to hold onto anything....lol Again I will say it when the alltime dominate teams in NFL history come into discussion the 2005 Steelers wouldn't be in that conversation.....Its not a knock on them but just saying they had to go on an impressive winning streak just to make the play-offs......

Look at the defense that year and yes they had 47 sacks as a unit but only one player was in double digits and that was Porter......They only had 15 INT's and Chris Hope led the team with 3........That defense played great team defense and came up with clutch plays to seal games.......The strip sack of Favre against the Packers that Troy took to the house......I still say the Bengals game in the postseason would have been more interesting if Palmer hadn't been injured.....I knew Kitna wasn't winning that game....I still think the Steelers would have beaten the Bengals but those Bengals games before Palmer was injured were a pain in the ***.....

When you look at the 2008 defense now that was a dominating defense....I was shocked when that unit gave up anything.....

Stone
10-17-2012, 03:27 PM
I'm not trying to hold onto anything....lol Again I will say it when the alltime dominate teams in NFL history come into discussion the 2005 Steelers wouldn't be in that conversation.....Its not a knock on them but just saying they had to go on an impressive winning streak just to make the play-offs......

Look at the defense that year and yes they had 47 sacks as a unit but only one player was in double digits and that was Porter......They only had 15 INT's and Chris Hope led the team with 3........That defense played great team defense and came up with clutch plays to seal games.......The strip sack of Favre against the Packers that Troy took to the house......I still say the Bengals game in the postseason would have been more interesting if Palmer hadn't been injured.....I knew Kitna wasn't winning that game....I still think the Steelers would have beaten the Bengals but those Bengals games before Palmer was injured were a pain in the ***.....

When you look at the 2008 defense now that was a dominating defense....I was shocked when that unit gave up anything.....

Fair enough. Maybe we went a little too far down the "2005 Steelers dominance" but it's a fact that there are still dominant teams in today's football....we just aint one of em. :(

TEEMONT
10-17-2012, 04:05 PM
Kids? I'm 30 dude. the problem with your tough as nails idea is, you don't just put on a Steeler uniform and "become tough as nails".

The Steelers weren't dominant when they won the 2005 SB, and they weren't dominant when they won the 2008 SB, they got hot at the right times to finish a season the way we all awanted to see.

All the "dominant" Steeler teams of recent have gotten dicked in the AFCCG.....at home no less. I'd rather my team be hot than "dominant."

Real Deal Steel
10-17-2012, 04:30 PM
The defense in 2008 was dominant. Check the season stats.

HUNT4SEVEN
10-17-2012, 10:03 PM
With the way we've been playing on defense,i rather us go 6-10,then we could get a high draft pick, get a new DC i don't know if i want Butler as our DC because we need to change the schemes up,as much as i don't want to have a losing season, i believe in the end it will benefit us, and make us a better team next year...

Stone
10-18-2012, 10:31 AM
The defense in 2008 was dominant. Check the season stats.

And not the ones on Madden Football:lol:

TEEMONT.....you're simply wrong, they were absolutely dominant in 2008 and I pointed out how they were dominant in 2005 with the exception of a injury riddled 3 game losing streak.

steelspikes
10-18-2012, 11:41 PM
I don't mean the launching and blowing up...I mean simply dominating.
Yea, You've got a good point. An oft-injured Polamalu has a lot to do with that, plus declining impact of Hampton, woodley's never-ending hamstring problems, and loss of that dominant run-stopper, Aaron Smith. It's just not the same defense we've become accustomed to...which is why the offense needs to score more.

Clevelandsux
10-21-2012, 05:58 PM
Agree, afc sucks this far. I'm not throwing in the towel yet.