PDA

View Full Version : Are Steelers Fans...

Zachintosh66
10-15-2012, 12:22 PM
Are Steelers fans never happy or used to excellence?

Big T
10-15-2012, 12:24 PM
That's a tough one. I'd say both lol.

LatrobePA
10-15-2012, 12:29 PM

Happy! The problem is we hold this team much higher than maybe play at times. Truth is injuries and poor drafts are finally catching up! Now we as fans are having a hard time accepting this!

steelchamp204
10-15-2012, 12:33 PM
I hold this team to a High Standard year after year. Kind of like Yankee fans do with there baseball team. Well, I should say I expect them to play hard/passionate and solid football every year.

K Train
10-15-2012, 12:38 PM
spoiled no doubt but never happy....and theres no reason to be happy right now, but its a young season with an awful lot of teams in the same situation

StlersGuy
10-15-2012, 01:00 PM
We Steeler fans EXPECT nothing but the best from this team after we are Champions and Champions should know how to WIN all the time no matter what or why or how

Sent using iOS 6 by way of the iPhone

Black@Gold Forever32
10-15-2012, 01:04 PM
Happy! The problem is we hold this team much higher than maybe play at times. Truth is injuries and poor drafts are finally catching up! Now we as fans are having a hard time accepting this!

This.....No doubt the Steelers success has spoiled us but at the same time its the right of the fan to complain if he or she chooses when the team stinks up the joint.....

Black@Gold Forever32
10-15-2012, 01:04 PM
spoiled no doubt but never happy....and theres no reason to be happy right now, but its a young season with an awful lot of teams in the same situation

In the AFC especially....Never have seen a season like this....Its going to be crazy the rest of the way......

Raleigh Steel
10-15-2012, 03:17 PM
if we are talking in generalities i would say that most steelers fans are always expecting excellence, while a smaller contingent is never happy.

for me, i'm a realist when it comes to the steelers. i can look at them without homer glasses and say i'm happy with this or not happy with that. this year, i don't expect excellence because i know how talent-poor we are on defense. that is mainly the front office's fault. but i also see that they could take a chance and try some of the other players like heyward and mcclendon more, and that is the coach's fault.

i touched on this in another thread, but i think that our conditioning program is way below average. 5 of the last 6 games we have given up a fourth quarter lead. that goes beyond X's and O's...our players are older, fatter, slower, and more prone to injury. now the injury thing is not all on conditioning, but it does play a big part.

so, when you see a team, that could be good enough to be an upper-echelon team, loose to teams like the raiders and titans, while having leads in the fourth quarter... i can say that i am not happy with their play.

Steveo
10-15-2012, 04:24 PM
I definately feel we as fans are spoiled, and we are passionate about our team.

LarryNJ
10-15-2012, 05:11 PM
No doubt the Steelers success has spoiled us but at the same time its the right of the fan to complain if he or she chooses when the team stinks up the joint.....

Everyone has a right to complain and criticize the team. Unfortunately there are some who go way over board with their comments. Luckily we have an ignore button that works very well so you don't have to read the nonsense! Except when someone quotes them.

connecticutsteel
10-15-2012, 05:48 PM
Everyone has a right to complain and criticize the team. Unfortunately there are some who go way over board with their comments. Luckily we have an ignore button that works very well so you don't have to read the nonsense! Except when someone quotes them.

AMEN TO THAT LARRY

Sojourner
10-15-2012, 06:20 PM
Overall I am very happy to be a Steeler fan. The history of the team, the championships, the fact that no matter what city I'm in at the time I can always find a Steeler bar I can catch the game at and meet up with a bunch of fellow traveling or former yinzers.

I'm not happy with the way the team is preforming so far this year no. They aren't executing very well at all and the lost games prove it so sure some of us fans are complaining.
If complaining meant that someone lost their membership in Steeler nation then only those who drink black and gold Kool Aid
and blame every loss on everything and anybody except our team would be members.

Stone
10-15-2012, 10:22 PM

Not quite! I am always happy as a Steeler fan and I always expect excellence.............until this year:(

CowherPower
10-17-2012, 10:05 AM
Definitely need a both option on this one. I think the two go hand in hand. We are always expecting excellence and when we don't get it we aren't happy. This year and last year especially we are most definitely not happy.

We've been spoiled for so long with competitive teams, save the occasional bad year, that when things go south for a prolonged period of time we raise the roof in disgust.

Passionate probably sums up the two options in the poll equally.

RIVERS OF STEEL
10-19-2012, 11:26 AM
Knowing how a Brown's fan feels all the time. It sucks.

Deviouz1
10-20-2012, 07:08 PM
Expecting excellence.

our bad years are some teams highest expectations. to be honest i wouldnt mind seeing a 3-13 year. get some good draft picks for once.

Clevelandsux
10-21-2012, 01:49 PM
Never would i wish the steelers such a terrible record. doubt we'll see it. Dont like the losers mentality, "we need draftpicks". We aren't Browns fans. Worst record we've had was 5-11 in 1988, the bubby brister era since the 1-13 season of 1969.

The Steelers are much like the Yankees in baseball. We have expectations.show me a good loser and ill show you a loser.

Deviouz1
10-21-2012, 03:50 PM
dont make the mistake of confusing "wouldnt mind seeing" with "wishing for". but, since you want to bring up that '69 season, try this on for size. in '68 the team went 2-11-1 which gave the Steelers the ability to draft DT Mean Joe Green, LT Jon Kolb, and DE LC Greenwood, all of which were integral parts of the Steelers team that sets the standard we hold so dear now. that 2-11-1 season also brought about a coaching change which gave us Chuck Knoll. the following season going 1-13 gave us Terry Bradshaw and Mel Blount. after that it was 5-9 for Jack Ham, followed in 72 by franco harris which is the first time they even had a winning record during that time period.

people like you would be whimpering and crying about how "this is unacceptable" and telling people like me, who aren't as "fair weather" as you are, that we arent "real" fans. it seems to me that if people like you had your way youd be happier going 5-11 forever rather than have a couple bad years and come back as the greatest dynasty ever to hit the nfl.

you rage and point fingers and shake your fists with your nose stuck in the air when things are going badly, i shrug and say "maybe next year". and i like it that way. would i prefer that they win? of course. am i going to lose my **** if they lose? hell no. im black and gold till the day i die whether theyre 16-0 or 0-16. there is NO shame in my game, seems to me you cant say the same.

Clevelandsux
10-21-2012, 04:09 PM
whatever dude. drafting order hasn't been the issue. Just bad draft picks. So far the guys that we've drafted in recent years have not pawned out. Steelers have gotten many good draft picks under Cowher, even when they werent drafting #1 or even in the top ten. The Steelers suffered badly in the 1980's because of there success in the 70's. But this was before free agency. Steelers almost never use free agency anymore. Remember they got Bettis for almost nothing. They've gotten other players, will wolford, James Farrior from f/A. The draft and drafting order are not the only means for upgrade your team anymore.

The stars and vets are getting older and under Tomlin they have not done a great job at replacing them. So finishing 1-15 or 3-13 isn't necessarilty gonna solve our issues. In pittsburgh, 8-8 is a bad season.

Deviouz1
10-21-2012, 04:44 PM
i never said it would solve our issues. i never even implied it. nor did i ever imply that we should WANT to go 3-13. i just said that if we did it wouldn't chap my *** because of the success we've had with the draft when we HAVE had high picks. a losing season is a losing season, 1-15? 7-9? i couldn't care less which. at least with the 1-15 we're pretty much assured to have the pick of the litter whereas with 7-9 you get mediocre ones with far more question marks. can you imagine what position we'd be in right now if we had gotten Orakpo or Clay Matthews instead of Ziggy? Chris Long or Jake Long instead of Mendenhall? Von Miller or Patrick Peterson instead of Cam Heyward? Adrian Peterson or Patrick Willis instead of Timmons? Suh instead of Pouncey?? not that i have anything against any of those guys, and i absolutely love the Pouncey pick, but if the picks had been higher and we had gotten some of those guys instead we would be in a much better position.

i just dont see the point of getting all worked up about whether we go 1-15 or 9-7 and miss the playoffs. either way we lose, might as well get something out of it.