PDA

View Full Version : We simply can't afford to play Ike Taylor

Stone
10-14-2012, 01:38 PM
I know Ike has been talked about in other threads but he is hurting the team so bad this year I wanted to put this out there in a slightly different way.

Ike has handed the opposing team 6-9 points in multiple games this year, that is impossible to overcome! I'd like to see one of you stat guys find out a few things:
1. How many yards Ike has been penalized this year?
2. How many PI penalties in the red zone?
3. How many points off of his penalties?

My son and I talked about this Thursday night and he said "who else do we have to play for him"? I said "I don't care, he is single handedly spotting the opposing team 6-9 points per game. Every team is figuring out that all you have to do in the red zone is throw at him and you are pretty sure to get 1st and goal on the one yard line.

steelersbabex25
10-14-2012, 01:40 PM
Pshhh. I'm so sure..

Ike will bounce back. I'm pretty confident in that.

Stone
10-14-2012, 01:41 PM
I don't know, the only reason for a guy to hold on every play is because he knows he can't compete otherwise.

Clevelandsux
10-14-2012, 01:43 PM
The only problem is we have nobody else. Maybe a healthy Troy would help matters. As bad as Ike is, he is still our best corner.

steelersbabex25
10-14-2012, 01:43 PM
I don't know, the only reason for a guy to hold on every play is because he knows he can't compete otherwise.

Players don't just drop off like this. He went from being one of the best corners in the league to playing terribly, which leads me to believe that he's just having a bad couple of games.

Stone
10-14-2012, 01:45 PM
Players don't just drop off like this. He went from being one of the best corners in the league to playing terribly, which leads me to believe that he's just having a bad couple of games.

I hope you're right. I remember last year talking to the guys I watch with and saying how Ike is getting away with holding on every play.....maybe he just isn't getting the calls any more?

LatrobePA
10-14-2012, 01:56 PM
Ike is a turd... Time to try another option!

Nolrog
10-14-2012, 01:59 PM
The secondary would be a heck of a lot better if the front guys could actually pressure the QB. When you give every QB all day to throw, he finds open receivers.

Stone
10-14-2012, 02:06 PM
The secondary would be a heck of a lot better if the front guys could actually pressure the QB. When you give every QB all day to throw, he finds open receivers.

Nothing to do with open receivers. It's the fact that Ike is holding on virtually every play and is being called for it giving the opposing team great field position 2-3 times per game.

BlitzburghRockCity
10-14-2012, 02:13 PM

I'll play Devils advocate ; was he really that good or did teams just never throw to him as much until now. Why bother when you had Gay over there to pick on all day.

Tebow exposed him, everyone else is just following suit now.

- From BRC's Bionic of Awesomeness

steelersbabex25
10-14-2012, 02:16 PM
I'll play Devils advocate ; was he really that good or did teams just never throw to him as much until now. Why bother when you had Gay over there to pick on all day.

Tebow exposed him, everyone else is just following suit now.

- From BRC's Bionic of Awesomeness

I don't think that's it. He covered the #1 receiver every game. Teams are gonna at least try to go to their #1 receiver a decent amount and he shut them down.

LevonKirkland99
10-14-2012, 02:46 PM
We should play Ike, he gets cheered by Tomlin

LatrobePA
10-14-2012, 02:48 PM

And high fives after PI penalties..

steelchamp204
10-14-2012, 03:28 PM

:lol:

teeceemadison
10-14-2012, 03:32 PM
this is exactly right....accept for a couple of, frankly, abberations, we continue to get limited push up the middle as harrison and woodley (when he isnt hurt) playing loop de loop, around the world in 80 days, rush outside while the qb steps up in to a cozy pocket.....hell, itz not even like itz a buncha quick three step drops.....hasselback was surveying the field forever, cause there is NO PUSH UP THE MIDDLE CONSISTENTLY.....and with the ten yard cushions our corners give.....itz pitch and catch...

this crap about the NT is supposed to hold up blockers so the LB's can make the plays...ISNT WORKING....the only bright spot i saw was the press coverage against NE last year....pressed and kept the receivers from marsha's dink and dunk extravaganza.....but, since then, we rarely press at all...

NorCalSteel
10-14-2012, 03:40 PM
Ike has got to clean up his game . he has been the victom of some really bad PI calls this year..real bad. he also has been guilty of a few also. It is no different then what I see other corners doing to our guys and getting away with it? I often wonder how that is? Sanders gets hit early all the time over the middle..lol he must have pissed the refs off.

Black@Gold Forever32
10-14-2012, 03:58 PM

Players do drop off due to age....Ike is getting older and father time could be catching up to him......You can never predict when a players play will drop off due age.......Ike might be better suited as a number 2 corner in the future but for the Steelers he is clearly number 1.......

scudmissile29
10-14-2012, 04:29 PM
Pshhh. I'm so sure..

Ike will bounce back. I'm pretty confident in that.

he's 33, he's going to start regressing and I think it's happening

Mike Tomlin
10-14-2012, 06:17 PM
Well I always felt like Ike Taylor was one of the best corners in the league before the ball was thrown, and one of the worst once the ball was in the air. He just has terrible ball skills that's why he holds and grabs because once the ball is in the air he completely loses it. Teams have figured out that even though he has the receiver shadowed just throw it near him and he'll either grab you or you'll make the catch.

SteelerCountry58
10-14-2012, 10:20 PM
I have no faith in anyone back there but Clark and Troy. And even thats fading.
A good QB salivates against our whole D these days. It's like shooting fish in a barrell.
Everytime there is a deep ball I cringe knowing it'll be completed or a penalty called a
high percentage of times.

ChucktownSteeler
10-15-2012, 08:38 AM
I 'm not sure Ike can pull out of this funk, but time will tell.

I honesty see no way we are going to compete in the upcoming seasons if we don't dabble in free agency. We have holes and needs everywhere.

coldrolled
10-15-2012, 11:37 AM
I 'm not sure Ike can pull out of this funk, but time will tell.

I honesty see no way we are going to compete in the upcoming seasons if we don't dabble in free agency. We have holes and needs everywhere.

Exactly.. We draft ok. But we dont fill the holes were they are obvious with FA. We need to drop the old vets and fill our holes with 1 or 2 FA's.

Ike needs to read the eyes and turn into the ball.... he rarely looks for the ball..

TarlsQtr
10-15-2012, 11:58 AM
Ike's not the problem (although he has not been at his best).

The secondary has always been mediocre overall but a great pass rush helped to cover their deficiencies. This year, the pass rush has been terrible. They get no pressure when they rush 4. They have to blitz 5-6, which leaves the secondary exposed. The best defenses get great pressure with 4 (look at the Giants). I know we have had some injuries but we just do not seem to have a couple of guys week in and week out that get consistent pressure without some kind of gimmick blitz.

LatrobePA
10-15-2012, 12:02 PM
Ike's not the problem (although he has not been at his best).

The secondary has always been mediocre overall but a great pass rush helped to cover their deficiencies. This year, the pass rush has been terrible. They get no pressure when they rush 4. They have to blitz 5-6, which leaves the secondary exposed. The best defenses get great pressure with 4 (look at the Giants). I know we have had some injuries but we just do not seem to have a couple of guys week in and week out that get consistent pressure without some kind of gimmick blitz.

How can you possibly say Ike isn't the problem? Have you watched this stiff play?? He's awful, holding, tugging on almost every play, he could have triple the flags thrown his way! He had one great year, that's it!! I don't get the love affair for him...

Zachintosh66
10-15-2012, 12:17 PM
Hes playing like crap... but theres no one behind him either. Wish there was a "defense" aisle at Walmart so we could pick up some new/worthy players.

elephantman
10-15-2012, 03:53 PM
our LB's :

injured (harrison/woodley)
old, (harrison/foote)
inconsistent (Timmons)
young and suck/avg (the rest)

Harrison woodley and Troy need to play together but unlikely to be many games

SuperSteelers
10-15-2012, 03:59 PM
In the past the Steelers could get pressure on the QBs in this league making below average CBs look average to good. Now their true abilities will get strung out this year because the D-line sucks at getting pressure.

Stone
10-15-2012, 10:19 PM
How can you possibly say Ike isn't the problem? Have you watched this stiff play?? He's awful, holding, tugging on almost every play, he could have triple the flags thrown his way! He had one great year, that's it!! I don't get the love affair for him...

And if the opposing QB has half a brain, he knows to throw the ball Ike's way because he will get a new set of downs. That's a huge liability!

BlacknGold Bleeder
10-16-2012, 09:40 AM
The front 7 need to get more pressure, so the QBs can't sit there all day . On any given pass play PI can probably be called, there is no reason for a QB not to throw it up for grabs. Most of the time there is some kind of PI going on, whether the receiver is pushing off, or the DB has his hands on the receiver.

steelerzion
10-16-2012, 10:05 AM
Cut him!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LatrobePA
10-16-2012, 10:32 AM
Trade him for a loaf of bread.. lol

Goodfrom55
10-16-2012, 05:11 PM
Ike needs to read the eyes and turn into the ball.... he rarely looks for the ball..

None of them do, and then they get called for face guarding because they never turn around and locate the ball. With the corners being 6 feet + , you know how many more INT's the Steelers CB's would have if they simply looked for the ball more often? At time, vs our secondary, it's literally pitch and catch between the QB and WR.