PDA

View Full Version : Theme for the rest of the Steelers season: "Play with desperation"

BlitzburghRockCity
10-12-2012, 01:54 PM
I'll be writing a blog article about this for Saturday but I figure I'd put a few thoughts out here now and see what you guys think.

Let's face it, 2-3 just sucks but is it a complete death wish from a mathematical standpoint for the post season? No. However many, many things have to change as we know. I was listening to Tunch and Wolf on ESPN970 over lunch and Will Allen was talking with them and he talked about, along with Wolf, playing as a desperate team. Now Allen didn't characterize it as desperate just yet but he did talk about a sense of urgency on every play.

Two of the losses so far have been come against teams that are or were in the bottom 5 of the league. These were teams that were playing desperate. The Steelers were in that desperate mode, whether they admit it or not, against the Eagles and look what happened. The Titans were desperate, as pointed out by Tunch who talked to several players and coaches before the game.

It all comes down to, if you want to win more than a game here and there you have to play with a sense of urgency that equals desperation. Every snap in practice, you finish. Every time you get a chance to catch a pass, make an interception, make a kick, whatever, you finish it off in a manner that carries over from play to the next.

There is no more of this, "well we're the Steelers we'll get it turned around". You are a 2-3 team that hasn't won on the road yet and lost to bottom feeders.

LatrobePA
10-12-2012, 02:01 PM
How many years have the Chargers started slow then made a push? The G-men last year, it can happen but dammit it's gonna be tough!

Black@Gold Forever32
10-12-2012, 02:02 PM
I guess this team misses the leadership from Ward and Farrior more then we thought they would........Was hoping some new leaders would emerge.......So far I'm not really seeing it........

LatrobePA
10-12-2012, 02:38 PM
I guess this team misses the leadership from Ward and Farrior more then we thought they would........Was hoping some new leaders would emerge.......So far I'm not really seeing it........

Missing something this passive pussy coach can't supply!

steelspikes
10-12-2012, 05:08 PM
The talent differential from team to team in the NFL is not that huge; subtract a few key players and upsets become not so surprising: see Indy beating G.B. and last night's debacle. Still hopeful Steelers can rebound and have a winning season. Hey, 9-7 is not beyond the pale...and that may equal a wild Card slot!

Goodfrom55
10-12-2012, 05:26 PM
How many years have the Chargers started slow then made a push? The G-men last year, it can happen but dammit it's gonna be tough!

I emphasize right now, they are not a very good football team. I haven't given up hope and stil think they can muster an 11-5 or 10-6 record, but when you lose 3 games by a combined 18 points in the last seconds of each game, it is disheartening. For the 1st time, I will concede that the Steelers are old on defense. And the youth on defense is doing nothing. I see a loss to the giants and a split to the ravens, and maybe one more loss....

BlitzburghRockCity
10-12-2012, 05:27 PM
A rebound is more than possible, it's very attainable even with this monster hole. The division may be unlikely too but no matter what they have to play like there is no tomorrow on every snap, every week without fail.

I'm not convinced they can do it by any stretch yet but I do expect them to at least be in games, steal a win here and there and maybe get on a roll.

- From BRC's Bionic of Awesomeness

Goodfrom55
10-12-2012, 05:34 PM
Not overly concerned about the division, but remember, it s not like the Ravens are playing lights out either so anything's possible. I just want to get to the playoffs and go from there.

WindyCityShaker
10-12-2012, 05:54 PM
I'm glad you guys have the hope I cannot muster right now. I don't see in any way, shape, or form how we can string wins together with our lack of pressure and sub-par secondary.

Teams are wiser, NO ONE is going to play "our game" anymore. It used to be that teams would try and run the ball to keep our defense honest. Or the Ratbirds would jump in the phone booth with us just to see who was tougher. HA! If the way to a man's heart is through his stomach, the way to a win against the Steelers is through the air.

Troyisabeast_43
10-12-2012, 05:59 PM
The Steelers sitting at 1-3 in the conference now with horrific losses to teams like Oakland and Tennessee are going to now have an extremely tough time making the playoffs assuming they finish still at 10-6. The next 4 games the Steelers play before the meet the Ravens are at Cincy,home to the Redskins,at the Giants and home to Kansas City. To say going 3-1 in this stretch and at least pushing your record to 5-4 and back to 3-3 in the conference is pretty much an absolute MUST at this point. If they can do that they still will have a shot at the playoffs. I see a loss to the Giants coming in that stretch or maybe even next weekend in Cincy. The bottom line is you better go 3-1 and lose to the Giants if anybody seeing that it wont count as a conference loss...

Nolrog
10-12-2012, 06:48 PM

Giants got healthy at the right time. If that happens to us, we could do some damage in the playoffs (but I think injuries will be a problem all year.)

ChucktownSteeler
10-12-2012, 06:59 PM
I think we have to go 6-0 in the division and take the north. I am not seeing a wildcard in our future.

LatrobePA
10-12-2012, 07:44 PM
Giants got healthy at the right time. If that happens to us, we could do some damage in the playoffs (but I think injuries will be a problem all year.)

Right, this is an ok team that is banged up, start winning some games and get healthy anything can happen.

Steeldriven
10-14-2012, 12:22 PM
I think we have to go 6-0 in the division and take the north. I am not seeing a wildcard in our future.

That's kinda what i was thinking too but after really examining the rest of the schedule it would take a small miracle to do that. Also got to win a couple on the road outside the division or they would just be like the 2010 raiders and miss the playoffs despite a division sweep.

Farrior Fan
10-14-2012, 06:08 PM

no worries, they just switched captains today - Ta'amu for the D and Saunders for the O. We can still easily go 13-3

BLACKandGOLD
10-14-2012, 09:02 PM
This team definitely needs to play the rest of the season with desperation. This is not the point to give up on the season. It is still way to early for that and we all know that anything can happen in this league. We are not used to being in this situation so someone is going to have to step up and be a leader on this team.

elephantman
10-15-2012, 09:39 AM
we just arent good this yr....it's not about math. Tenn and Oak have ONE win in games against other teams..Bens numbers look good but he is 1 out of 3 in last drives, Troy is for all intents and purposes DONE...woodley and Harrison lucky to play 2 games together this yr...we beat the 2 WORSE QB's in the league in sanchez and Vick at Home

jnes1216
10-15-2012, 02:39 PM
You would think after the loss to oakland, the team would snap out of whatever funk they seem to be in and tell themselves we have to play for 60 minutes. I'm on the fence with placing blame for the loss of some key vets, because imo we came out flat against green bay in the superbowl and again last year vs denver when those vets were still here. A lot of our key playmakers - Troy, Harrison, H Miller, Timmons, Wallace are more prone to letting their play do the talking. Hard to tell who the vocal leaders are not being around the team daily. But someone needs to step up and light a fire under their asses. It certainly does not seem like the coaches are coming forward and Ben (who says their is no discord with him and Haley) has shown little to no acceptance to the change in OC. His arm around Tomlin at the end of the philly game seemed like show to me. I'm sure the whole team is thinking the same thing=we need it get it in gear, but it is going to take someone to voice it loud and clear to get the ball rolling