PDA

View Full Version : The Steelers A Dynasty ?

SteelerNation
01-29-2007, 01:43 PM
You know it came to me the other nite well new england is a dynasty how far are we from being a dynasty? I think we only need to win to more superbowls to take control.

And 1 more question what really is a dynasty is it someone who leds the NFL with the most super bowls won?

BlitzburghRockCity
01-29-2007, 01:49 PM
When most people refer to Dynasties this is how it usually is considered.

1970's - Steelers
1980's - 49ers
1990's - Cowboys
2k - Pats

Obviously the 2K era is not over yet so it's not like the Pats are THE dynasty from 2000-2010 or anything, but since they won 3 SB's in this modern era many call them a dynasty. You'll get alot of argument from the Steeler Nation along with most other teams because they hate the Pats, and it's not like Patriots dominated the league to the point of nobody having a chance like it was back in the day with the Steelers, 49ers, etc. The pats won 2 of their SB's on last minute FG's and barely squeaked by in the playoffs here and there but none the less they did win 3 of them.

You can check this link http://www.superbowl.com/history for all the info you wanted to know; which incidentally is also available on the SA homepage :greengrin:

SteelerNation
01-29-2007, 01:53 PM
OK thanks so what your saying is to be conciderd a Dynastie you have the lead the NFL for a good 10 years and to the point where no one can beat you...!!!

Black@Gold Forever32
01-29-2007, 01:54 PM
I would put Lombardi's Packers of the 60's in there as well.

BlitzburghRockCity
01-29-2007, 01:57 PM
Absolutely, the Pack of the 60's with Lombardi at the reigns was something special; good point !

2007 - most time atleast in my experience you get a new dynasty every decade so at the end this current decade we're in we'll be able to effectively say who the dynasty was.

Steelerlyn
01-29-2007, 01:59 PM
How long does a dynasty last? The Steelers were a dynasty in the 70's but I don't think they are even close now. Or is that title something that stays with you forever, for example the Packers are also a dynasty, today? Is the word were in there at all?

BlitzburghRockCity
01-29-2007, 02:01 PM
Each decade has it's own dynasty and that title however "unofficial" it may be stays with you forever; so to say the Steelers, Cowboy, 49ers, or Packers are dynasties now in the current sense probably isn't appropriate but to refer to the franchise as a whole, and call them a Dynasty Team, is appropriate depending on how you're talking about them.

Black@Gold Forever32
01-29-2007, 02:01 PM
When looking at NFL history by decades you can point at teams being the dynasty for that decade.

In the 1950's it was the Cleveland Browns.

In the 60's it was the Pack

In the 70's the Steel Curtain

In the 80's the 49ers

In the 90's the Cowboys

In the 2000's the Pats

BlitzburghRockCity
01-29-2007, 02:06 PM
The Pats will probably retain that title even if they don't win any more in this decade I would think. Now if we were to win a couple more in this decade yet then we could be mentioned in that same dynasty argument for the 2K era. :bigthumb:

Steelerlyn
01-29-2007, 02:11 PM
When looking at NFL history by decades you can point at teams being the dynasty for that decade.

In the 1950's it was the Cleveland Browns.

In the 60's it was the Pack

In the 70's the Steel Curtain

In the 80's the 49ers

In the 90's the Cowboys

In the 2000's the Pats

Even Detriot won the championship in the 50's but that was before the NFL had a superbowl, so it is not listed on the superbowl page. :bigthumb:

Black@Gold Forever32
01-29-2007, 02:12 PM
The Pats will probably retain that title even if they don't win any more in this decade I would think. Now if we were to win a couple more in this decade yet then we could be mentioned in that same dynasty argument for the 2K era. :bigthumb:

There is still some time for the Steelers to match the Pats three Super Bowl wins. But its going to be tough. Hell if the Steelers would have just beat the Pats in the 2001 and 2004 AFC title games. Then the Steelers would be the dynasty of this decade. I know the Steelers would have beat the Rams and Eagles also in those Super Bowls.

Bettis would have ran all over the Rams and I'm sure the defense would have handled the Rams offense.

The Eagles we beat the snot out of them in the regular season that year so the same would have happened in the Super Bowl.

58Lambert
01-29-2007, 02:13 PM
Heck, all we need to SIMPLY do is to win the next 4 SBs in this decade and we'll knock those Pats off that pedestal... piece o' cake, no sweat, right?!?!

:steelersrocksign:

Black@Gold Forever32
01-29-2007, 02:15 PM
Even Detriot won the championship in the 50's but that was before the NFL had a superbowl, so it is not listed on the superbowl page. :bigthumb:

Both the Lions and Browns won 3 NFL title games in the 1950's. But the Browns played in at least 7 title games in the 1950's.

The Lions did beat the Browns in all of their title wins. But when you play in 7 title games in 10 years and win three then I think that makes you a dynasty.

58Lambert
01-29-2007, 02:18 PM
I'm still pissed about SBXXX against the Cowboys... damn O'Donnell!!!! :cursin:

I still wonder what could've been if we had drafted Dan Marino back in '84...

SteelerFan87
01-29-2007, 02:20 PM
Right now, with a SB win followed by a non-playoff season, we're right on pace with the Pats dynasty. So if we continue with that and win next year and the year after that, then the Pats can have their dynasty, because we'll have had 2!

Black@Gold Forever32
01-29-2007, 02:23 PM

Dude you can't use the N-word.:bluelol: Nword=Neil O'Donnell for Steelers fans.

I'll never forgive that tool for throwing away the Super Bowl.

Yea if the Steelers wouldn't have passed on Marino then I'm sure Cowher wouldn't have to wait so long to get that Super Bowl win. Here is another draft note. In the 1985 draft the Steelers wanted to take a WR by the name of Jerry Rice only the 49ers traded up in front of the Steelers to draft Rice.

SteelerFan87
01-29-2007, 02:25 PM

Wow. I'd say we'd have had another Dynasty and Marino would be the undisputed best QB of all time, since he'd have the stats AND the rings. Hell, we could have been the 1st team to win 4 in a row (94,95,96, and 97) (and those would have been some amazing SBs. Steelers/49ers, Steelers/Cowboys, Steelers/Packers twice)

EDIT: Holy crap, if we had drafted Jerry Rice too??? Our 90s defense+Marino+Rice? It would be pretty hard for that NOT to become a dynasty.

Friday133
01-29-2007, 02:26 PM
Frankly I think its a little premature to be talking about a Steelers dynasty.

BlitzburghRockCity
01-29-2007, 02:28 PM
Right now, with a SB win followed by a non-playoff season, we're right on pace with the Pats dynasty. So if we continue with that and win next year and the year after that, then the Pats can have their dynasty, because we'll have had 2!

Hell yeah, wouldn't that be awesome, to steal the thunder of all the Pats fans with out own 2nd Dynasty, and between 2 different coaches no less.

That Super Bowl XXX was enough to make you wanna :banging: :banging: , after we barely stayed in the game for most of the first half then we went on a roll and had all the momentum and Poof ! gone in an instant from another interception !! :cursin: :cursin:

58Lambert
01-29-2007, 02:31 PM
... In the 1985 draft the Steelers wanted to take a WR by the name of Jerry Rice only the 49ers traded up in front of the Steelers to draft Rice.

Who's Jerry Rice?? :nahnah:

All joking aside... but, I seriously do wonder what would happen (in the public's eye-media and general public) if both the Pats and Steelers won 3 SB in this decade (2000-2010)? Since, "dynasty" is not an official designation, how would the sporting world classify which would be the dynasty team of this decade? All the previous decades were very clear-cut.

Black@Gold Forever32
01-29-2007, 02:32 PM
Who's Jerry Rice?? :nahnah:

All joking aside... but, I seriously do wonder what would happen (in the public's eye-media and general public) if both the Pats and Steelers won 3 SB in this decade (2000-2010)? Since, "dynasty" is not an official designation, how would the sporting world classify which would be the dynasty team of this decade? All the previous decades were very clear-cut.

But the Pats did beat us in two AFC title games so if the Steelers did match their total of Super Bowl wins the media would mention the fact the Pats beat the Steelers in the 2001 and 2004 AFC title games.

BlitzburghRockCity
01-29-2007, 02:33 PM
The Steelers have a more powerful, dedicated, world wide following than the Pats could ever hope to have so public opinion would give the Steelers alot of support but by rights you'd probably have to call it a "co-dynasty" :dunno:

58Lambert
01-29-2007, 02:36 PM
I say we steal Doc Brown's Delorean time machine and go back to 1984 and redo the '84 draft :tt02: C'mon, who's with me?!?! :bigthumb:

Black@Gold Forever32
01-29-2007, 02:37 PM
I say we steal Doc Brown's Delorean time machine and go back to 1984 and redo the '84 draft :tt02: C'mon, who's with me?!?! :bigthumb:

lol Hey there is alot of things we can come up with to change. Just think the Steelers cut Johnny Unitas. That was a great move.:banging:

Friday133
01-29-2007, 02:43 PM
Don't the Steelers need to win a few more super bowls before you can mention them in the same sentence as the Pats?

SteelerFan87
01-29-2007, 02:59 PM
Don't the Steelers need to win a few more super bowls before you can mention them in the same sentence as the Pats?

Don't the Pats have to win another Super Bowl before you can mention them in the same sentence as the 70s Steelers?

58Lambert
01-29-2007, 03:04 PM
Ok, the reason why I harp on Marino is because the second he came into the league, he lit everybody up. Sure, he has no SB titles to show for it, but I would still take him over any QB from the '80s to current, no question. Yes, I would take him over Montana, Aikman, Favre, Brady, and Manning. He was awesome to watch, a pure passer, quick release, a cannon, cool under fire, and read blitzes like they were Dr Seuce Books.

Friday133
01-29-2007, 03:05 PM
Don't the Pats have to win another Super Bowl before you can mention them in the same sentence as the 70s Steelers?

I never mentioned them in the same breathe of the 70's Steelers. Plus I don't think that's a fair comparison. Two different eras in the NFL.

Steelerlyn
01-29-2007, 03:06 PM
Both the Lions and Browns won 3 NFL title games in the 1950's. But the Browns played in at least 7 title games in the 1950's.

The Lions did beat the Browns in all of their title wins. But when you play in 7 title games in 10 years and win three then I think that makes you a dynasty.

oh yeah I agree :)

58Lambert
01-29-2007, 03:10 PM

I don't think Friday was trying to compare the Pats with the '70s Steelers. He was referring to who would be considered more as this decade's team in 2K... and not comparing which dynasty was better than the others.

Black@Gold Forever32
01-29-2007, 03:14 PM
Ok, the reason why I harp on Marino is because the second he came into the league, he lit everybody up. Sure, he has no SB titles to show for it, but I would still take him over any QB from the '80s to current, no question. Yes, I would take him over Montana, Aikman, Favre, Brady, and Manning. He was awesome to watch, a pure passer, quick release, a cannon, cool under fire, and read blitzes like they were Dr Seuce Books.

I think Marino is the 2nd best QB ever. So I'm with you on the taking Marino over all the QB's since the 80's. The only guy I think was better is Johnny Unitas.

I just have a ton of respect for the older players like Unitas that made the NFL what is today.

BlacknGold Bleeder
01-29-2007, 03:15 PM
But the Pats did beat us in two AFC title games so if the Steelers did match their total of Super Bowl wins the media would mention the fact the Pats beat the Steelers in the 2001 and 2004 AFC title games.

IF we were to win a few more SB this decade I believe at some point along the way we will also have to beat the Pasties. That will make 2001 and 2004 games side notes. Then the debate can rage!!! :tt02: :tt02:

58Lambert
01-29-2007, 03:29 PM
I think Marino is the 2nd best QB ever. So I'm with you on the taking Marino over all the QB's since the 80's. The only guy I think was better is Johnny Unitas.
I just have a ton of respect for the older players like Unitas that made the NFL what is today.

It's hard for me to judge Unitas cuz I've only watched him on highlight films and not in full game action... so, I personally couldn't compare the two accurately. Oh, and I would take Marino over Elway too... don't get me started on Elway, sheesh...

Black@Gold Forever32
01-29-2007, 03:34 PM
It's hard for me to judge Unitas cuz I've only watched him on highlight films and not in full game action... so, I personally couldn't compare the two accurately. Oh, and I would take Marino over Elway too... don't get me started on Elway, sheesh...

Well thats good points and that what makes comparing the eras so hard. Put I do it just for fun. I know my Steelers history and I know NFL history. I always read what I can about the NFL. So thats why I have so much respect for those great players from the past.

58Lambert
01-29-2007, 03:47 PM
Well thats good points and that what makes comparing the eras so hard. Put I do it just for fun. I know my Steelers history and I know NFL history. I always read what I can about the NFL. So thats why I have so much respect for those great players from the past.

That's cool :bigthumb: ... maybe you can take Mel Kiper's place on the NFL Draft show... don't get me started on Kiper, sheesh...

Black@Gold Forever32
01-29-2007, 04:05 PM
That's cool :bigthumb: ... maybe you can take Mel Kiper's place on the NFL Draft show... don't get me started on Kiper, sheesh...

Well that would be my dream job. I would love to scout players. Its one of my big interests and I always watch the entire NFL draft. People always think I'm sick in the head for watching the entire draft. But its just my thing.

TEEMONT
01-29-2007, 04:08 PM
how in God's name can you watch the entire draft....I can't take more than 5 mion of Kiper.

BlacknGold Bleeder
01-29-2007, 04:08 PM
People always think I'm sick in the head for watching the entire draft.

We knew you were sick inthe head before you mentioned the draft thing...:lol:

58Lambert
01-29-2007, 04:09 PM
Well that would be my dream job. I would love to scout players. Its one of my big interests and I always watch the entire NFL draft. People always think I'm sick in the head for watching the entire draft. But its just my thing.

Well, I'm sure you'd do a much better job than that idiot, good-for-nothin' Kiper... that guy doesn't know jack!!!!

Black@Gold Forever32
01-29-2007, 04:12 PM
how in God's name can you watch the entire draft....I can't take more than 5 mion of Kiper.

Alot of beer helps when it comes to Kiper.:bluelol:

58Lambert
01-29-2007, 04:16 PM
To me whenever Kiper talks, it sounds like he's got one of those "jawbreaker" candies stuck under his tongue...

Stairwayto7
01-29-2007, 04:54 PM
I love our Steelers! But ant talk of a Dynasty after this past season, is way to premature! Even if we were still in it this season, something about chickens before they hatch comes to mind. We had every chance to challenge for the Dynasty of the 2k, and we blew it a couple times.

House of Steel
01-29-2007, 06:13 PM
Don't put the Cleveland Browns of the 50s on the dynasty list, HELL NO!! Those aren't real championships, they won before the Super Bowl was created.

TEEMONT
01-29-2007, 06:21 PM
Don't put the Cleveland Browns of the 50s on the dynasty list, HELL NO!! Those aren't real championships, they won before the Super Bowl was created.

ummm it's all they had though, they were still NFL champs.

House of Steel
01-29-2007, 06:23 PM
Yeah I know, but it pissed the fans off when you tell them that isn't a dynasty :lol: In reality, it is a dynasty back then, but the last time they won in 1954 and it is now 53 years to the day. That is one hell of a drought.

Black@Gold Forever32
01-29-2007, 06:24 PM

Dude this post makes no sense at all. I guess the history of the NFL before the Super Bowl doesn't matter? :bluelol:

TEEMONT
01-29-2007, 06:25 PM
Dude this post makes no sense at all. I guess the history of the NFL before the Super Bowl doesn't matter? :bluelol:

Does that mean all of the years the Steelers sucked wont count?

House of Steel
01-29-2007, 06:26 PM
OK THAT WAS STUPID THEN!!! You know something, it pisses the fans of the Browns so much when you tell them the NFL Championship is nothing compared to the Super Bowl Champion. Some even believe it. Some will tell me, it isn't the same. It will be ages before the Browns ever win the big one. I give them another 50 years to figure it out.

Black@Gold Forever32
01-29-2007, 06:29 PM
Does that mean all of the years the Steelers sucked wont count?

? What do you mean?

I'm the one that stated the Browns were a dynasty and I respect the history of the NFL. Sorry you lost me.

Of course the Steelers sorry years still count its part of NFL history.

TEEMONT
01-29-2007, 06:31 PM
? What do you mean?

I'm the one that stated the Browns were a dynasty and I respect the history of the NFL. Sorry you lost me.

Of course the Steelers sorry years still count its part of NFL history.

I was kinda building off of your post, continuing the sarcasm, I agree with you;)

Black@Gold Forever32
01-29-2007, 06:31 PM
OK THAT WAS STUPID THEN!!! You know something, it pisses the fans of the Browns so much when you tell them the NFL Championship is nothing compared to the Super Bowl Champion. Some even believe it. Some will tell me, it isn't the same. It will be ages before the Browns ever win the big one. I give them another 50 years to figure it out.'

You're entitled to your opinion but I'm just saying its not those teams fault there wasn't any Super Bowl. They played the NFL championship since thats all they had and they played in 7 title games in the 50's and won 3. Thats really good. I give the those great Browns teams credit. Plus Paul Brown the great Browns coach did alot of great things for the NFL.

Black@Gold Forever32
01-29-2007, 06:33 PM
I was kinda building off of your post, continuing the sarcasm, I agree with you;)

Sorry I should pickup on the sarcasm its just hard sometimes to pick it up from a computer screen. Plus I'm I have some clueless days. Today is one of them days. To much magic herb back in the day.lol

House of Steel
01-29-2007, 06:35 PM
That is true, but it did sound stupid. Cleveland did once have some great football teams in the 50s. 7 NFL Title games visit, but three wins is damn good.

Black@Gold Forever32
01-29-2007, 06:39 PM
That is true, but it did sound stupid. Cleveland did once have some great football teams in the 50s. 7 NFL Title games visit, but three wins is damn good.

Trust me its hard to give Cleveland credit for anything and thats probally why at first you responded like you did. You saw Cleveland dynasty and you wanted to puke. Hell I puked typing it. But I can't anything away from them.

House of Steel
01-29-2007, 06:43 PM
LMAO. Yes, we are the same boat aren't we. Anything coming from Cleveland is a joke with the exception of me, of course. :lol:

Black@Gold Forever32
01-29-2007, 06:46 PM
LMAO. Yes, we are the same boat aren't we. Anything coming from Cleveland is a joke with the exception of me, of course. :lol:

Yep you and all the Steelers fans in the Browns area. We Steelers fans are the best fans in the world.

House of Steel
01-29-2007, 06:47 PM
:tt02: :tt02: Yes sir.

SteelerFan87
01-29-2007, 06:49 PM
The way I see it, the merger is like a dividing point for pro football history. It's like B.C. and A.D. Sure the stuff that happened pre-merger is important, but it isn't as relevant as the stuff that has happened post-merger. Since the merger, the NFL is a totally different league than the original pre-merger NFL. So, sure, you give the Browns credit for everything the accomplished pre-merger, but if you ask me, a post-merger dynasty is better than a pre-merger one. Pre-merger Champions are like Conference Champions now.

58Lambert
01-29-2007, 06:51 PM
... Anything coming from Cleveland is a joke with the exception of me, of course. :lol:

Ahhh, now you're talkin' just plain absolute CRAZY!!!! :nahnah:

DIESELMAN
01-29-2007, 06:55 PM
No matter how much we think the Brownies suck, they are part of the history of the NFL. We're talking dynasties here and I would love to see us win a few more but like someone said earlier its going to be tough. I can imagine in a few more decades that the NFL will be to the point where there just might be a different winner of the SB with no repeats in a decade.....what happens to the dynasty then? It'll be a part of history.

SteelerNation
01-29-2007, 07:01 PM
The bownies never have or never will be a champion team. The only way i would have respect for them is if they were the team they were back in the 80's and 90's but when the new browns came in and the old browns moved to a Rats. I lost all respect I ever had for them.....

And for the steelers iv gained alot of expercince over the years and iv come to know not only do the steelers play like a family but they are one . Same with the fans . I love you Guys :):beer4: :drunk:
:brownssuck:

58Lambert
01-29-2007, 07:06 PM
The bownies never have or never will be a champion team. The only way i would have respect for them is if they were the team they were back in the 80's and 90's but when the new browns came in and the old browns moved to a Rats. I lost all respect I ever had for them.....

Wait... so, you have no respect for the new Browns or the old Browns who moved out????

SteelerNation
01-30-2007, 10:20 PM
I have all respect for the old browns which are the ravens. but the new browns they just plain out suck... i mean they have lost hope of any superbowl ring but i think we need to make a smack talking form. where we can dis it out with other nfl team fans. that would be kinda kool

BlitzburghRockCity
01-30-2007, 10:35 PM
We already have a smack talking forum. :redcool:

58Lambert
01-31-2007, 01:23 AM
I have all respect for the old browns which are the ravens. but the new browns they just plain out suck... i mean they have lost hope of any superbowl ring but i think we need to make a smack talking form. where we can dis it out with other nfl team fans. that would be kinda kool

WHAT THE ?!?!?! So, you have respect for a team (the old Browns now Ravens) who bailed on their long-time city and deserted their devoted fans with no football team?!?! And, you have NO respect for the new Browns JUST because they're not doing well. I definitely cannot agree with your logic there, that makes absolutely no sense :eyecrazy:

Steelersfan
01-31-2007, 01:31 AM
WHAT THE ?!?!?! So, you have respect for a team (the old Browns now Ravens) who bailed on their long-time city and deserted their devoted fans with no football team?!?! And, you have NO respect for the new Browns JUST because they're not doing well. I definitely cannot agree with your logic there, that makes absolutely no sense :eyecrazy:

I agree with you 58Lambert. I have more respect for the current Browns then I will ever have for the ratbirds. For that matter I have more respect for both the Bengals and current Browns than that crap team!

58Lambert
01-31-2007, 01:47 AM
SteelerNation2007 really needs to say NO to drugs!! :bonk:

Steelersfan
01-31-2007, 01:56 AM
Young people these days!......lol

BlitzburghRockCity
01-31-2007, 06:37 AM
If there is anybody that actually has respect for the ratbirds; they need to have their black n gold card revoked and be taken out back for a beating !

2007, I think we need to have a talk because you're confusing all of us :lol:

DIESELMAN
01-31-2007, 07:57 AM
I'll be out back to give the beatings.....:cool:

TEEMONT
01-31-2007, 09:49 AM
Man...the more I read the initial post in this thread, the more I just wanna bitch slap someone.