PDA

View Full Version : Wanted: A secondary that doesn't choke

BlitzburghRockCity
10-12-2012, 12:54 AM
Is there one in Pittsburgh? Somebody please just try and tell me we have a good secondary because I have some ocean front property to sell you in Iowa!!!

Ike Taylor - Torched
Keenan Lewis - Ok but dropped an easy interception late
Will Allen - hurt and torched
Ryan Mundy - torched
Ryan Clark - only decent one out there worth anything so far this year.

Zachintosh66
10-12-2012, 01:01 AM
increasing my list of WTF are these players doing on our roster:

Doug L
Hampton
Butler
Mundy
W. Johnson
M. Pope
W. Allen
Worilds
Hood
Ike
Troy (wait is he still on the roster?)

connecticutsteel
10-12-2012, 01:05 AM
NOTHING WRONG WITH Butler.I,m not a fan of Doug L would you prefer M. Adams.Hey at least we will get a high draft slot

SnakeEyes43
10-12-2012, 01:07 AM
This secondary is just a hot mess. I'm so disappointed right now with this team.

NeilPatrickBanana
10-12-2012, 01:08 AM
Wanted : a Defensive Coordinator from this generation

steelerzion
10-12-2012, 01:09 AM
Ike must be cut tomorrow!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SteelCurtain68
10-12-2012, 01:11 AM
Ike Taylor has become William Gay

LatrobePA
10-12-2012, 01:12 AM
WANTED: A COACH THAT DOESN'T CHOKE!

SnakeEyes43
10-12-2012, 01:14 AM

Perfect. I'd laugh if I wasn't so utterly pissed right now.

JakeTN1
10-12-2012, 01:17 AM
Is Ike hurt? He was one of the fastest ever clocked, and now he holds on even the rookie receivers! He needs set down for a rookie!

SnakeEyes43
10-12-2012, 01:20 AM
Is Ike hurt? He was one of the fastest ever clocked, and now he holds on even the rookie receivers! He needs set down for a rookie!

I think it's more age. He's clearly lost a step and is waaayyyy overpaid.

Real Deal Steel
10-12-2012, 02:02 AM
This secondary is just a hot mess. I'm so disappointed right now with this team.

But that's Le Beau and Kolbert's doing. Both those idiots think you can just put anybody back there and that Le beau's schemes will make it al right. :rolleyes:

NYCsteelersfan
10-12-2012, 02:30 AM

Ike has always been William Gay. Gay just sucked so much more that he provided some cover to Ike.

Moondog
10-12-2012, 02:40 AM
They could not get off the field. The Titans converted 9 of 16 third downs. A hard rain is going to fall this season. I love how Ike times his penalties for the perfect moment.

Ocnative
10-12-2012, 02:56 AM
I remember a few yrs ago, media talking about Toast Taylor like he was an elite lockdown corner. He is absolutely horrible. If a receiver tries to run deep past him, he rapes em, if the receiver make a cut (in or out) he is trailing him by 10 yards. The only thing that has ever made him look decent was William Gay, and he is pathetic somewhere else now. Time to butter that toast, Ike is done.

picktownfan
10-12-2012, 05:55 AM
our secondary play in a prevent defense all game long......nobody slows up or knocks the opposing teams receivers off their route. It would also help if we had a pass rush.....if i see one more fire x attempt im gonna puke

scudmissile29
10-12-2012, 07:10 AM
Wanted : a Defensive Coordinator from this generation

I want a corner or safety in first round next year.

Nolrog
10-12-2012, 07:35 AM
Is there one in Pittsburgh? Somebody please just try and tell me we have a good secondary because I have some ocean front property to sell you in Iowa!!!

In fairness to the secondary, the front guys put almost no pressure on the QB. It's hard for the secondary to cover when the QB has all day to throw. Eventually he's going to find someone open. This aspect of the game was a huge problem last year and is still a huge problem this year. There's been no improvement.

Nolrog
10-12-2012, 07:36 AM
Wanted .. (edited)

I find that offensive. You need to stop with this kind of thing.

SnakeEyes43
10-12-2012, 08:33 AM
In fairness to the secondary, the front guys put almost no pressure on the QB. It's hard for the secondary to cover when the QB has all day to throw. Eventually he's going to find someone open. This aspect of the game was a huge problem last year and is still a huge problem this year. There's been no improvement.

No excuse for the dumb penalties. And a few of the PA calls there was pressure, no excuse.

BlitzburghRockCity
10-12-2012, 09:37 AM
I'm not giving them a free pass for anything anymore. I don't care if the pass rush gets there or not. Ike Taylor is terrible, Lewis is inconsistent. Cortez Allen was the only one who played decent last night on a somewhat consistent level.

Mundy is terrible, Allen, who the hell knows he got hurt on the first damn series.

There is no excuse to be that bad, if the pass rush isn't getting there then get someone else.

Nolrog
10-12-2012, 09:40 AM
No excuse for the dumb penalties. And a few of the PA calls there was pressure, no excuse.

I agree. No excuse for dumb penalties. That's a sign of a poorly coached team.

threeriversguy
10-12-2012, 10:13 AM
Hampton in the middle... is just there....standing. Do we even have defensive ends this year? Ike is a joke and the only guys that are worth their salt this year seem to be forever injured. We have now lost to the two worst teams in the league...time for an overhaul cause this ain't Pittsburgh Football!
Enjoyed your posts. I am new here and a lifetime Steeler fan...always committed and sometimes disappointed

steelersbabex25
10-12-2012, 10:20 AM
I feel almost bad for Ike Taylor. Last season he could have been considered an elite corner. He hasn't bounced back from the Denver game yet. It's sad.

LatrobePA
10-12-2012, 10:23 AM
Ike has always been William Gay. Gay just sucked so much more that he provided some cover to Ike.

This! Ike had a decent year last year until he got torched in the playoff game exposing him for the **** poor player he is! F Ike!

steelersbabex25
10-12-2012, 10:25 AM
Alright anyone that says that Ike has always been "**** poor" needs to check some games of recent years. He shut down #1 receivers every single game. He was awesome. He's had a bad few games but I'm not ready to throw him in the fire just yet.

Real Deal Steel
10-12-2012, 10:28 AM
Secondary needs a total overhaul too.

Kolbert is as responsible for this as Le Beau and Tomlin.

LatrobePA
10-12-2012, 10:34 AM
Alright anyone that says that Ike has always been "**** poor" needs to check some games of recent years. He shut down #1 receivers every single game. He was awesome. He's had a bad few games but I'm not ready to throw him in the fire just yet.

He had one good year and that was last year. If he's so awesome why hasn't he been voted to the pro bowl?? Simple, he sucks!! Tomlin out there high fiving him after some of the worst coverage/ penalties a DB can have is a total joke too!

steelersbabex25
10-12-2012, 10:37 AM
He had one good year and that was last year. If he's so awesome why hasn't he been voted to the pro bowl?? Simple, he sucks!! Tomlin out there high fiving him after some of the worst coverage/ penalties a DB can have is a total joke too!

You're basing the talent of a player by if they were voted to the pro bowl or not? Hm....

Real Deal Steel
10-12-2012, 10:38 AM
Plus the defensive philosophies of Le Beau (giving WR 10 cushions all the time) is as responsible for this as anything. But....why haven't we used a high pick on a real cornerback who can cover man on man? That falls on Kolbert.

steelersbabex25
10-12-2012, 10:39 AM
Plus the defensive philosophies of Le Beau (giving WR 10 cushions all the time) is as responsible for this as anything. But....why haven't we used a high pick on a real cornerback who can cover man on man? That falls on Kolbert.

Colbert..

LatrobePA
10-12-2012, 10:39 AM
You're basing the talent of a player by if they were voted to the pro bowl or not? Hm....

Nope, by his play on the field and he had one solid year the rest he's been ok at best. He benefitted from great pass rush, now that we have no pass rush he can't cover w out grabbing and holding and even then can't cover, he sucks!

steelersbabex25
10-12-2012, 10:42 AM
Nope, by his play on the field and he had one solid year the rest he's been ok at best. He benefitted from great pass rush, now that we have no pass rush he can't cover w out grabbing and holding and even then can't cover, he sucks!

One solid year? He had quite a few solid years. Go look up his stats from the last few seasons. Dare you.

LatrobePA
10-12-2012, 10:44 AM
One solid year? He had quite a few solid years. Go look up his stats from the last few seasons. Dare you.

Not interested, I'm convinced he sucks, thanks though!

jpele
10-12-2012, 10:59 AM
I mentioned this in another thread:

In breaking down video from the 1-2 start, one similarity can be found in the teams two losses, the amount of zone coverage in play while the defense was being torched. Ironically, the percentage of zone against the New York Jets tilted in the opposite direction.

Could this schematic difference truly make that much of an impact on their defense? The answer could be a resounding yes. One look at the numbers shows the trend perfectly; Broncos passing 253 yards and two touchdowns (73.1 percent completion percentage) and the Raiders passing attack, 209 yards and three touchdowns (70.6 percent completion percentage).

Now, onto the Jets passing game against predominately press coverage, 138 yards and one touchdown (37.3 percent completion percentage). Sure, Mark Sanchez is not Peyton Manning or Palmer, but all three teams have receiving corps that are virtually interchangeable.

While this may be a trend that is more perception than reality, it is also a problem that might be fixed by a subtle change in philosophy or game planning. The idea behind an attacking 3-4 scheme can be in place, even with more man coverage, and that may be exactly what the Steelers need to do at this point.

http://www.steelers101.com/2012/09/30/pittsburgh-steelers-pass-defense-could-be-suffering-through-a-schematic-breakdown/

The fact is D.L's scheme doesn't fool anyone, it's old and wornout but Dick refuses to make changes. Our players aren't as bad as it appears it's the defense scheme they're playing.

BLACKandGOLD
10-12-2012, 11:10 AM
It just mind boggles me how bad this defense has gotten. We go from one of the top defenses in football to a team that can't stop the godawful Titans and Raiders. Ike Taylor needs to get his act together. 3 penalties last night by him just killed us and he got torched all night long. The only person that has done a decent job is Ryan Clark. Lewis has been okay too but he dropped the pick that would have sealed the game for us last night. These guys need to step up and make some plays or this season is gonna be a very long one.

SnakeEyes43
10-12-2012, 11:15 AM
On Taylor: Tomlin out there high fiving him after some of the worst coverage/ penalties a DB can have is a total joke too!

That pissed me off. Cowher would have been in his face, telling him to get his act together or hit the bench. Tomlin struts out and slaps him five. WTF, really Tomlin?

LatrobePA
10-12-2012, 11:17 AM
That pissed me off. Cowher would have been in his face, telling him to get his act together or hit the bench. Tomlin struts out and slaps him five. WTF, really Tomlin?

That really bothered me! Are you trying to be friends or a coach?

scudmissile29
10-12-2012, 02:58 PM
http://www.football.draft-hub.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/07/David-Amerson.jpg

David Amerson*, CB, North Carolina State
Height: 6-3. Weight: 194.
Projected 40 Time: 4.46.
Projected Round (2013): Top-20 Pick.
9/15/12: Amerson had a rough first week of the season as he was beaten for a 41-yard touchdown and a 72-yard touchdown by Tennessee's dangerous passing attack. Amerson recovered from those two early mistakes and played better for the rest of the game. Amerson bounced back further against Connecticut with a tackle, pass broken up and interception. He will have the opportunity to shut down some elite receivers when N.C. State takes on Clemson in mid-November.

9/1/12: Amerson has a special skill set with size, speed and ball skills. He was simply phenomenal in 2011. Amerson totaled 13 interceptions to lead the nation. That set both school and ACC records since it was the second highest total in FBS history. He also had 59 tackles with five passes broken up. The All-American started nine games as a true freshman in 2010 and had zero interceptions with 57 tackles and a forced fumble.

When the ball is in the air, Amerson is extremely aggressive. He looks like a natural wide receiver with his hands and body control. Meanwhile, his innate ball skills are extremely rare.

Amerson played some safety in high school and should be able to play the position in the NFL if a team wants to move him there. That may be considered if he fills out his frame and gets bigger as he ages.

Teams will avoid throwing in Amerson's direction this season, so it will be hard for him to lead the nation in interceptions again. If he plays well in his best matchups against talented receivers (Tennessee and Clemson) that should help offset the drop in interceptions.

KemoTherapy
10-12-2012, 03:13 PM
The message out in the league is clearly this, "if you're a mediocre journeyman QB on the downside of your career don't give up hope,just wait for the Steelers to come to town".Somebody gotta give Ike a 50 gallon barrell of skin cream cause he's getting burned every week since getting Tebowed.

RIVERS OF STEEL
10-12-2012, 04:06 PM
Try puttin it up on Craig's List. LOL

Zachintosh66
10-12-2012, 04:42 PM
Face it guys...

we have 15 guys over 30

10 of which are starters...

While technically were not "out of it" our window is rapidly closing...

IMO we GOTTA have 3 wins by the end of Oct
@ Cinci
VS Wash

Nov is: (We would need to go 2-2)
NYG
KC
Balt
Cle

December has 5 games: (We would need 3 of 5)
Balt
SD
Dal
Cin
Clev

Which would give us 8-8 record. While this defense is the worst defense in recent memory. This could be a great offense. I think the "potential" is there (on both sides of the ball) and we havent played close to that yet. I think the Washington game is going to be HUGE. Lets say worse case we lose to Cinci... RG3 comes in when we are 2-4, if we loose that one (AT HOME!) all hell is gonna break loose. 2-3 is bad, 2-4 is unbelievable... but 2-5 could be unbearable.

WindyCityShaker
10-12-2012, 05:42 PM
I know this thread is about our sorry secondary, and it is sorry, but let's spread the love around to the whole D. On the last play, wasn't that James Harrison flat footed in the middle of the field, staring into the backfield while Cook crossed right in front of him as though he were invisible?

Clark really is the only guy playing close to "the standard" right now.

What's the over/under on hom many games Woodley is going to start this year?