PDA

View Full Version : New Wide Receiver Coach Hired

BlackGold4vr
01-29-2007, 02:01 PM
Randy Fichtner, 43, is Pittsburgh Steelers Coach Mike Tomlin's choice to become the team's next wide receivers coach. He'll replace Bruce Arians, who was promoted to offensive coordinator.
The team averaged 16.1 points per game in 2000 but jumped to 26.7 ppg. under Fichtner's direction.

Sounds like a good hire! A 10.6 point per game jump over the course of a season is significant! Mike Holmgren started coaching at the high school level and quickly ascended to the Pro's! Of course he was a coordinator under Bill Walsh before he ever got his own gig in Green Bay. A coach is a coach. Football is not rocket science!

:tt02:

BlackGold4vr
01-29-2007, 02:05 PM
Randy Fichtner, 43, is Pittsburgh Steelers Coach Mike Tomlin's choice to become the team's next wide receivers coach. He'll replace Bruce Arians, who was promoted to offensive coordinator.
Fichtner will take his first NFL job after spending the last six seasons as the offensive coordinator/quarterbacks coach at Memphis.

A Cleveland native, Fichtner is a 1985 Purdue graduate. He was a volunteer assistant coach at USC and Purdue before becoming the Memphis WR and QB coach under Chuck Stobart in 1990. Fichtner moved on to coach wide receivers at Purdue in 1994 and then became the Arkansas State offensive coordinator in 1997. At Arkansas State, Fichtner he coached on the same staff with Tomlin.

Fichtner remained at Arkansas State until 2000 and is credited with the development of QB Cleo Lemon, who played this past season for the Miami Dolphins.

In 2001, Fichtner was hired by Tommy West to become the Memphis OC and QB coach, and the Memphis offense took off. The team averaged 16.1 points per game in 2000 but jumped to 26.7 ppg. under Fichtner's direction.

The Memphis ppg. average improved every year until 2005, when Memphis' top two QBs were injured by the third week of the season. With RB DeAngelo Williams carrying the load, Memphis recorded its third consecutive winning season, even though a true freshman and a converted WR shared the QB duties.

Memphis slipped to 4-6 this past season and averaged 23.4 ppg, but Fichtner leaves a legacy of having developed the school's all-time passing

Sounds like a winner to me!

Steelerlyn
01-29-2007, 02:10 PM
Now we need a 6'8" target for Ben!~

Black@Gold Forever32
01-29-2007, 02:20 PM
Now we need a 6'8" target for Ben!~

I don't know of many WR's that tall.lol A guy in the 6'4 range with some speed would be nice though.

Steelerlyn
01-29-2007, 02:29 PM
I don't know of many WR's that tall.lol A guy in the 6'4 range with some speed would be nice though.

Plax was 6'5" Burress was considered to have been a good balance to the Steelers' other starting wide receiver, Hines Ward, who was more of a "possession receiver." Burress also quickly became one of Ben's favorite targets. He had some off the field problems, I guess. The Steelers or BC did not want him here. I would like to see him come back since he and Ben became close, I guess they even roomed together during training camps.

:tt02: :tt02: :tt02: :tt02: :tt02: :tt02:

Black@Gold Forever32
01-29-2007, 02:33 PM
Yea I know Plax is 6'5 but I don't know of to many in the 6'8 range. The Chiefs a few years ago had a guy around 6'7.

SteelerNation
01-29-2007, 02:39 PM
Sounds like a good hire! A 10.6 point per game jump over the course of a season is significant! Mike Holmgren started coaching at the high school level and quickly ascended to the Pro's! Of course he was a coordinator under Bill Walsh before he ever got his own gig in Green Bay. A coach is a coach. Football is not rocket science!

Sounds Like We Picked A Winner

BlackGold4vr
01-29-2007, 02:48 PM
I believe there were a variety of reasons the Steelers let Plaxico take his skills elsewhere. One being he wanted a lot more money than the Rooney's were willing to part with for his skills set. Two being he was the type of player who whined constantly about the number of touches he got. And his whining wasn't limited to the locker room, he whined publicly. Rooney's don't like those types of players and I would agree with them on that. I would rather have more players like Hines Ward who is a complete player than 5 Plaxicos! Did you see the play this year where Plaxicos defender stepped in front of him and intercepted a pass and ran it back for a touchdown? Plaxico didn't even attempt a tackle and didn't even chase the guy. Michael Strahan called him out publicly for giving up on that play and making no attempt to tackle or chase the guy! Good riddance in my opinion!

:2cents:

BlitzburghRockCity
01-29-2007, 02:55 PM
Plax was an underachieving, whining, complaining, gotta have it my way, ball dropping, punk ! Im glad he left because he wasn't worth half of what he wanted.

The Giants found out exactly what Plax is, a guy with all the natural ability in the world but who doesn't put in the work or fight for the ball. I'll take a midget version of Hines Ward any day over Plax. The Steelers have lived without a super tall WR like Plax for a long time before he got here and they'll survive a long time after. We've got a perfectly good big target in Heath Miller to utilize in situations in the red zone where Plax was usually effective.

Steelerlyn
01-29-2007, 03:07 PM
You are both right and in my heart I know that. I can still him playing at Michigan State, he was the total opposite, he was a nice guy, he worked hard and was a genuis on the college level football field. I have no idea what happened. In the college level he was phenominal, he fell apart when he got here. That first year (with the Steelers)he played with a broken hand because he didn't want anyone to know (which was the reason given for all the dropped passes). In the offseason he had the delicate hand surgery and the dropsy continued. He was just a completely different player than I watched at Michigan State.

TEEMONT
01-29-2007, 03:13 PM
You are both right and in my heart I know that. I can still him playing at Michigan State, he was the total opposite, he was a nice guy, he worked hard and was a genuis on the college level football field. I have no idea what happened. In the college level he was phenominal, he fell apart when he got here. That first year (with the Steelers)he played with a broken hand because he didn't want anyone to know (which was the reason given for all the dropped passes). In the offseason he had the delicate hand surgery and the dropsy continued. He was just a completely different player than I watched at Michigan State.

Just goes to show you that MSU players cannot be trusted!

BlitzburghRockCity
01-29-2007, 03:31 PM
I admit when we first drafted him, I was pretty excited about the potential he'd have with us. Everybody had us picking Pennington that year. Every time I think about Plax and what a waste of so much talent he is it just drives me nuts !

Black@Gold Forever32
01-29-2007, 03:35 PM
I admit when we first drafted him, I was pretty excited about the potential he'd have with us. Everybody had us picking Pennington that year. Every time I think about Plax and what a waste of so much talent he is it just drives me nuts !

Man it drives me nuts to and I was just as excited as you were when the Steelers drafted him. I was jumping up and down and I thought Plax was going to be great. If Plax had Hines Ward's heart then he would be the best WR in the NFL but he doesn't so he will always be a over-rated bum.

Just to think a certain LB that wears 54 for the Bears was drafted right after we took Plax.:banging:

BlackGold4vr
01-29-2007, 04:13 PM
Just to think a certain LB that wears 54 for the Bears was drafted right after we took Plax.:banging:

You could drive yourself nuts looking at all the Pro-bowl caliber players that go by your team every year for players who end up on practice squads! How many of last years players we drafted are on the team? Look at the Saints star wide receiver this year, he was almost awarded the least significant player award (goes to the player drafted dead last). Fast Willie wasn't even drafted! What separates the great teams from the pack is the ability to accurately assess talent and POTENTIAL to maximize the improvements draft picks will make to your team!

:crossfingers:

Steelerlyn
01-29-2007, 04:16 PM
Just goes to show you that MSU players cannot be trusted!

LOL they are generally not good, also :banana: :lol: :hilarious: :bigthumb:

BlacknGold Bleeder
01-29-2007, 04:25 PM
First off welcome to the new coach !!

Second off Plexiglass has all the potential in the world, but it don't mean a thing if you don't have heart!! The AFC champ. game, I believe 2004, on that fade pass in the end zone,all he had to do was jump more than the 2 inches off the ground that he did and we would have been playing in the SB that year. If he goes up and gets that ball he would still be a STEELER. How the hell can you be 6'5" and not master the fade pass in the NFL??? :2cents:

K Train
01-29-2007, 04:28 PM
plaxico should be the best reciever in the league, he should be near impossible to cover at 6-5 and that fast....its ridiculous, just a little effort and hed be great

TEEMONT
01-29-2007, 04:33 PM
plaxico should be the best reciever in the league, he should be near impossible to cover at 6-5 and that fast....its ridiculous, just a little effort and hed be great

Eh.....at 6'2" and 250 LBS, I should be planting WR's and RB's anytime they look at the middle of the field. You gotta have brains to go with size. Or in my case talent to go with brains and size.