PDA

View Full Version : Mendenhall returns and rushing game gets back on track

BlitzburghRockCity
10-07-2012, 04:10 PM
I've been personally critical of Mendenhall in the past, I fully admit it. His dancing around before hitting the hole used to drive me nuts. Maybe we're seeing a new Mendy now.

So he comes back today and all of the sudden the ground attack is a viable part of the offense. They average 4.4 ypc on the ground combined. Mendenhall 14/81 yds, 1 TD. Redman 13/41 and Big Ben 3/14.

So was it Mendenhall coming back that gave them the edge, or was it the offensive line blocking? It's a combination of all the factors but from what I saw from Mendy, he's hitting the hole with authority, 1 move and he's north and south.

jpele
10-07-2012, 04:12 PM
Welcome back Mendy

steelersbabex25
10-07-2012, 04:13 PM
I submit to all the Mendy lovers. He did pretty well. To be fair though, the offensive line did open a few gaping holes here and there.

LarryNJ
10-07-2012, 04:14 PM
It looked like Mendy was hitting holes with authority. The O line played good today in the run and pass I don't think Ben got sacked. Also very good play calling. Penalty's and drop passes killed us.

connecticutsteel
10-07-2012, 04:18 PM
Everyone except Willie Colon he's worst than Kemo with the holding good lord all the old guys are getting hurtbut the defense looked good today except ryan Mundy is a liability

Mike Wallace didn't feel like jumping for a jump ball in the end zone **** poor effort

LatrobePA
10-07-2012, 04:22 PM
Mendy looks fresh and is running strong.

LevonKirkland99
10-07-2012, 04:57 PM
I LOVE it that Mendy is back. Eat your hearts out all you Mendy haters!!

Black@Gold Forever32
10-07-2012, 05:01 PM
No doubt Rashard Mendenhall is the most talented RB on the roster....Anxious to see how Haley uses Rashard going forward.....He can be such a weapon as well in the passing game......Mendy ran hard today and had a good game....Really the offensive star of the game......

Big T
10-07-2012, 05:01 PM
Everyone except Willie Colon he's worst than Kemo with the holding good lord all the old guys are getting hurtbut the defense looked good today except ryan Mundy is a liability

Mike Wallace didn't feel like jumping for a jump ball in the end zone **** poor effort

**** poor effort? Did you not see Asomugha shoulder check him before the ball got there? I don't know how it wasnt called. Along with other 2 blatant holdings on Wallace that weren't called. Refs were horrible with that **** today.

Big T
10-07-2012, 05:07 PM
And I never want to hear anyone say how much better Redman is than Mendenhall, ever again. Good to see people realizing how they've under appreciated him. Glad to have him back, looking as good as ever.

BlitzburghRockCity
10-07-2012, 05:14 PM
I am more than happy to eat crow with Mendy. I will say in my defense he had a habit of dancing an awful lot and it cost him yards. This year, at least for the one game so far, he looks like a new man ready to take over his rightful position as the starter.

FWIW, the line did their job in run blocking today and Redman is a better back when Mendy is in the game.

HUNT4SEVEN
10-07-2012, 05:25 PM
[QUOTE=BlitzburghRockCity;512492]I've been personally critical of Mendenhall in the past, I fully admit it. His dancing around before hitting the hole used to drive me nuts.

WE ALL ARE GUILTY OF THIS...

Zachintosh66
10-07-2012, 05:32 PM
night and day differnece with Mendy vs the field...

i used to think they wouldn't resign him after this year, but after this years events we'd be stupid not to

LatrobePA
10-07-2012, 05:46 PM
I never said anything bad on Mendy! He looks like a #1 draft
Pick!

tburg68
10-07-2012, 08:01 PM
And I never want to hear anyone say how much better Redman is than Mendenhall, ever again. Good to see people realizing how they've under appreciated him. Glad to have him back, looking as good as ever.

This^^^^

FWIW, the line did their job in run blocking today and Redman is a better back when Mendy is in the game.

Of course, he only has to carry a few times, and the D has had to stop Mendy all game.

Real Deal Steel
10-07-2012, 08:05 PM
What I saw is that the O-line decided to execute when their was a runningback they had faith in. It's all mental. They don't feel they can run the ball without Mendy.

Blitzburgh_Mike
10-07-2012, 08:46 PM
Loved seeing Mendenhall back in the backfield. Like everyone has basically stated, there's no question to me that he's the best overall back we have. As the weeks move on I hope he gets more involved with Haley's offense (in the passing attack as well). I also liked how they used Redman as a good change-of-pace back. Liked how Redman performed today. He performed like the player I always expected him to be....a bruiser who picks up the tough yards. Things are looking up for Pittsburgh's running game. Onto Tennessee!

SteelerCountry58
10-07-2012, 09:00 PM
Mendy stepped the F up today and boy did we need him to. He was one of the few
who weren't bumbling around like they just got back from vacation.

teeceemadison
10-07-2012, 09:13 PM
**** poor effort? Did you not see Asomugha shoulder check him before the ball got there? I don't know how it wasnt called. Along with other 2 blatant holdings on Wallace that weren't called. Refs were horrible with that **** today.

saw that too...clearly hit him with the ball in the air......as usual, not called.......

K Train
10-08-2012, 12:17 AM
redman earned his shot/carries? dwyer is the best back the steelers have?

naaaaaaahhhhhhh, mendenhall looks better than ever and ran pissed off today. the reports of him dazzling in practice 3-4 weeks ago must be true he looks great. im excited to see him in haleys offense moving forward

NorCalSteel
10-08-2012, 12:50 AM
Mendy was a beast!! he took the yards the holes gave him. I re-watched the oakland game and our backs missed allot of yards by missing the holes. The refs were TERRIBLE..Ike got screwed again and Wallace should of had at least 3 flags go his way..lol thats why I couldn't give a crap who the refs are, its not like they do us any favors. I am not a Redman backer or ever will be..

JensK
10-08-2012, 05:28 AM
Mendenhall is a couple of lightyears faster than both Dwyer and Redman getting to the LoS. It was a thing of beauty.

Blazedby92
10-08-2012, 05:35 PM
Im probably the biggest Mendy critic here and would like to say Mendy had one hell of a game but until he does it every game I will still be critical, he should got the game ball cause if they would of gave it our wr's they might of dropped it

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

Steelersfan
10-08-2012, 07:13 PM
Mendy had a good game for his first. Pretty sad when he should get the game ball on 80 yds rushing. Guess that is the expectation these days.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Big T
10-08-2012, 07:18 PM
Mendy had a good game for his first. Pretty sad when he should get the game ball on 80 yds rushing. Guess that is the expectation these days.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Seriously? Did you watch the game? Because it sounds like you just looked at the stats and saw 80 yards rushing. 80 yards on only 14 carries, almost 6 yards a carry, is impressive enough without it being his first game after tearing his ACL just 8 months ago.

BubbyBlister
10-08-2012, 07:54 PM
Mendy started to look good the second half of last season and quit his dancing and just hit the holes. I think a light bulb went off in his head then or he started reading these forums. Anyhow glad to have him back and glad he is being used in the passing game.

BlitzburghRockCity
10-09-2012, 08:36 AM
I remember being so excited when he starting running with power and authority instead of dancing around like Hines Ward on DTWS. If the light bulb did go off, better late than never because that old style would get him killed this year with a line still trying to find itself.

terrible.towel43
10-09-2012, 09:58 AM
Seriously? Did you watch the game? Because it sounds like you just looked at the stats and saw 80 yards rushing. 80 yards on only 14 carries, almost 6 yards a carry, is impressive enough without it being his first game after tearing his ACL just 8 months ago.

not to mention he had a 20 yard run taken away in the first on an illegal formation penalty on wallace. Could have been 100 yards on 15 carries.

JensK
10-09-2012, 10:37 AM

I think what he meant was that its sad when 80y rushing gives you the gameball, as in: It is sad that we're that excited about an 80y performance which, lets face it, is not amazing. Don't get me wrong, Mendenhall did an amazing job, only we should have ran the ball more.

K Train
10-09-2012, 06:19 PM
i would not be surprised if mendenhall gets 5-6 receptions per game coming up, hes going to surprise a lot of people in the passing game

Goodfrom55
10-09-2012, 07:21 PM
I just hope he stays healthy. Steelers won't force feed him, but they will definitely run to set up the pass.

OK, let's say Mendy has a good year, do the Steelers resign him or do they go after Steven Jackson who is going to be a free agent after the season?

LatrobePA
10-09-2012, 07:39 PM
i would not be surprised if mendenhall gets 5-6 receptions per game coming up, hes going to surprise a lot of people in the passing game

I couldn't wait for him to come back into this offense!

BlitzburghRockCity
10-10-2012, 10:10 AM
If Haley's offense holds true to what we saw in preseason and so far this year then I'm all for getting Mendy more touches in the passing game. If Dwyer is activated at all the rest of the season I think he's a big time target as well; quick enough to be elusive but strong enough to run through tackles.