PDA

View Full Version : What a difference a year makes.

Ambridge
01-29-2007, 09:50 AM
As we all get ready for Superbowl Week and the actual the actual game itself Superbowl XLI between the Colts and the Bears it's hard not to contrast the difference between last year and this year as a Steeler fan.

Last year at this time Steeler fans were going nuts getting ready for Superbowl XL and the eventual victory that brought the 5th Lombardi Trophy back to Pittsburgh.

Since then.........

-The Big Ben Accident and Appendectomy Drama.

-The grumblings of Bill Cowher's possible retirement at the beginning of training camp.

-A winningless pre-season

-The Steeler open the NFL season on a Thursday Night and Unfurl a Fifth
Superbowl Banner along with a win over the Miami Dolphins.

-A long and dismal stretch of poor football played marked by stupid penalties
and bad fundamentals.

-Bill Cowher is repeatedly questioned about his lack of desire and whether he
will step down at the end of the season.

-The Steelers finish up the season at 8-8 and a great season finale win over
the Bengals. (Which ends up being Bill Cowher's final game as the Steeler
head coach.)

-Bill Cowher resigns as head coach.

-Ken Whisenhunt and Russ Grimm the apparent favorites to succeed Bill
Cowher head to Arizona.

-A dark horse candidate in Mike Tomlin is named the new head coach thus
ringing in a new era of Steeler Football.

All I can say as a fan is that last year seems like a distant dream and it's almost unreal for all of that to have happened in such a short period of time.

BlitzburghRockCity
01-29-2007, 10:04 AM
What a difference a year makes is right ! We were so spoiled last year. We went on a history making run in the playoffs last year with so much that we accomplished. I think I blocked out of my mind how boring this time of the year is when we aren'y in the playoffs because it's been quite awhile; and now that it's hear, it sux :nonod:

Steelerlyn
01-29-2007, 10:09 AM
Agreed! It seems as though that was all over a long period of time when in reality, it all happened in a few months. We watched the new video 1 month to the day of the superbowl victory. In the month of Feb'06, we had been to Detriot to see the NFL experience and Ford Field, we also had our own superbowl party at home, jumped intop the car the day a couple days after and went to the Parade in da burgh. All this happened so quickly, it was like a fog! I can't imagine how the guys feel that go to a Superbowl and have 2 weeks of media attention and constantly going here and doing this and that. :bigthumb: :banana: :lol: :hilarious:

OneSteelSoldier
01-29-2007, 02:48 PM
"Bill Cowher is repeatedly questioned about his lack of desire and whether he
will step down at the end of the season".

Ambridge, this is exactly why I think it was more about money, than family. Evidently Bill told a reporter "it didn't have to end this way". I must admit, that Iam a little bitter about how he coached this past season.