PDA

View Full Version : Which Woodley shows up this week?

CowherPower
10-03-2012, 02:05 PM
I was reading through some Steeler articles in my daily blog travels and one of my normal stops besides SA, is over at BTSC (http://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/2012/10/3/3447972/steelers-eagles-nfl-week-5-lamarr-woodley-pass-rush-sacks). They did a story today about this week coming up being a normal time when Lamarr Woodley starts to really come, especially in the sack category.

The good news is Woodley is used to busting out of early season sack slumps in a big way right around the Steelers' fifth game each season. Since 2010, LaMarr Woodley has five sacks in Week 5 games - never failing to notch less than 1.5 - sometimes with impressive performances in Weeks 1-4, sometimes not so much.

The bad news is Week 5 has always been Woodley's fifth game of the season. In 2012, it's his fourth. In that same stretch of time, Woodley has zero sacks in his fourth game of the year.

So which Woodley do we see this week? The break out game changer? I sure hope so because something has to give sooner or later with this defense.

jpele
10-03-2012, 04:14 PM
If his "twitter and facebook " post are down this week , it means he's concentrating on the game plan, otherwise we get invisible LaMarr. Just a thought.

LatrobePA
10-03-2012, 04:21 PM
Woodley the DB dropping in coverage or Woodley that is allowed to rush the passer?? It's all in the gameplan!

jpele
10-03-2012, 04:35 PM
Woodley the DB dropping in coverage or Woodley that is allowed to rush the passer?? It's all in the gameplan!

Like our cb's . They sit 5to 7 yds off the LOS in zone and get picked apart or ( rarely) play aggressive man coverage and shut down the passing game. Only Dick knows for sure.

Zachintosh66
10-03-2012, 04:45 PM
What games have yall been watching? Woodley has been arguably the most consistent player on defense so far this year. Granted he doesnt have sack numbers, but he also hasnt rushed the passer nearly enuff (as we, the public expect either). I wouldn't be surprised to see that he has actually not rusher the passer as much or more than he has actually rushed the passer.

This isnt Woodley fault... this is a coaching fault. You have to put your players in a spot to make plays.

Goodfrom55
10-03-2012, 06:02 PM
Without Harrison, Woody always gets double teamed and the protections are almost always slid to Woody's side. Or he is in coverage, and except for Woody, there is no one else on the front 7 that strikes fear into opposing QB's - except for Harrison. It will significantly change the game planning for Wally Walrus if Harrison plays.

BlitzburghRockCity
10-03-2012, 07:17 PM
It's funny this year, well not really, but when our DB's played more man coverage we won. When they don't we haven't won. The pass rush against the Jets was hardly epic by any stretch and the secondary still had a good game.

Wood having a two sack game would be nice, it is about that time anyway. My point is, unleash Lamarr and see what the secondary can do. It can't be any worse.

- From BRC's Bionic of Awesomeness

Big T
10-03-2012, 07:40 PM
What games have yall been watching? Woodley has been arguably the most consistent player on defense so far this year. Granted he doesnt have sack numbers, but he also hasnt rushed the passer nearly enuff (as we, the public expect either). I wouldn't be surprised to see that he has actually not rusher the passer as much or more than he has actually rushed the passer.

This isnt Woodley fault... this is a coaching fault. You have to put your players in a spot to make plays.

Exactly. Beautiful post sir.

Real Deal Steel
10-04-2012, 12:48 AM
Are you referring to Dick Le Beau?

BlitzburghRockCity
10-04-2012, 01:07 AM
While I agree he's been the most consistent, that's not saying much considering how bad most others have been. Part of it is scheme yes but overall he doesn't come on like gangbusters until early October.

- From BRC's Bionic of Awesomeness

SnakeEyes43
10-04-2012, 08:11 AM
Getting Harrison back this week will help (if he is healthy and strong). A 75% Harrison is still better than Carter and Worilds combined.

I see Woodley getting some pressure, but Vick is so elusive that I think he will escape situations where other QBs would have had sure sacks.

Goodfrom55
10-04-2012, 05:44 PM
Are you referring to Dick Le Beau?

If you're asking me, Wally Walrus is Andy Reid. If you're not, Wally Walrus is still Andy Reid.

LatrobePA
10-04-2012, 05:53 PM
If you're asking me, Wally Walrus is Andy Reid. If you're not, Wally Walrus is still Andy Reid.

Does he offer free stash rides??

Goodfrom55
10-04-2012, 06:38 PM
I don't know, but would wager that anything that gets too close to his mouth gets consumed.

LatrobePA
10-04-2012, 07:05 PM
I don't know, but would wager that anything that gets too close to his mouth gets consumed.

Lmao!

BlitzburghRockCity
10-05-2012, 03:08 PM
Looks like they want to help Woodley stay fresh late in the game for some potential big plays, along with Harrison.

James Harrison, who has practiced all week without any difficulty, will return for the first time this year and start against the Eagles.

However, the Steelers have already told Harrison he will be spelled in the first half by Chris Carter, who has been starting at right outside linebacker since minicamp. The coaches want to be sure Harrison is fresh for the fourth quarter.

Harrison hasnít played a game since the wild-card playoff loss in Denver.

The Steelers have a similar plan for their outside linebacker on the other side, LaMarr Woodley, who has three of the teamís five sacks.
They will spell him early with Jason Worilds because they want to make sure Woodley is fresh enough to chase Michael Vick in the fourth quarter. But the Steelers will not have Harrison and Woodley out of the game at the same time.

Maybe the Steelers don't want their top players gassed for the fourth quarter, especially against Vick. - Gerry Dulac, PG

CowherPower
10-06-2012, 06:07 PM
We better see the Woodley that comes up with 5 Tackles and 2 Sacks. Now that Harrison is back, even if he is spelled by Carter, teams won't be able to double both. No excuse for a lack of pass rush from now on.

Big T
10-06-2012, 07:59 PM
We better see the Woodley that comes up with 5 Tackles and 2 Sacks. Now that Harrison is back, even if he is spelled by Carter, teams won't be able to double both. No excuse for a lack of pass rush from now on.

Except for the fact that LeBeau has dropped Woodley into coverage more than he's rushed...