PDA

View Full Version : Why the Steelers colors are black and gold

BlitzburghRockCity
09-29-2012, 10:36 AM
Saw this one come across our timeline recently recently and figured it might be interesting for those that don't know why the Steelers use black and gold as their colors, and what those colors really stand for.

Video link (2 minutes long) (http://www.nfl.com/videos/team-colors/0ap2000000065679/Evolution-of-the-Steelers-colors)

ChucktownSteeler
09-29-2012, 12:35 PM
Nice, thanks for posting!

SnakeEyes43
09-29-2012, 07:14 PM
It has always bothered me that our colors are referred to as "black and gold" since they are clearly black and yellow. The Saints and Purdue Boilermakers are black and gold, we're not at all. I guess it's just tradition; even in my signature I wanted to put "Bleeding Black and Yellow since 86'" but it just doesn't sound right.

EDIT: I couldn't get the video to play, so if this issue was explained, my bad.

steelspikes
09-30-2012, 12:28 PM
It has always bothered me that our colors are referred to as "black and gold" since they are clearly black and yellow. The Saints and Purdue Boilermakers are black and gold, we're not at all. I guess it's just tradition; even in my signature I wanted to put "Bleeding Black and Yellow since 86'" but it just doesn't sound right.

EDIT: I couldn't get the video to play, so if this issue was explained, my bad.

I guess there are different shades of gold, aren't there? Yellow is sometimes associated with "cowardice," which is why I suspect no NFL team would want that association.

SnakeEyes43
09-30-2012, 09:16 PM
I guess there are different shades of gold, aren't there? Yellow is sometimes associated with "cowardice," which is why I suspect no NFL team would want that association.

Very true.

jpele
09-30-2012, 09:35 PM
Just saying:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Shades_of_yellow

muncher
10-01-2012, 11:42 AM

it would be kinda fitting for us this year tho'

Steelers/PSU Fan
10-02-2012, 04:55 PM
Interesting video, nice post.

Goodfrom55
10-02-2012, 06:19 PM
Steelers "Gold" is most similar to the shade of gold known as Goldenrod. Still think it would be cool if they went all black once in a while.

SnakeEyes43
10-02-2012, 07:50 PM
Steelers "Gold" is most similar to the shade of gold known as Goldenrod. Still think it would be cool if they went all black once in a while.

Black pants with the bumblebee throwbacks would have been pretty frickin sweet! The tan pants are what ruin that outfit for me.

Goodfrom55
10-02-2012, 07:55 PM
Yeah, they kinda look like the lolipop gild from the wizard of oz.