PDA

View Full Version : Does Mendenhall get his job back when he returns?

BlitzburghRockCity
09-28-2012, 01:05 PM
The popular belief for many fans is that when Rashard Mendenhall returns that he is going to be the fix for the Steelers ground game. Hell even Isaac Redman said the other day that he's looking for Mendy to come back and be the main guy.

Has Redman lost his confidence, Dwyer? Have the coaches lost confidence in either or both? Dwyer, after that fumble last week was barely seen from again in that game if I remember right.

So Mendenhall comes back, but I'm not convinced at all that he's the end all be all fix. The offensive line still has problem run blocking, and pass blocking (Ben has been sacked 9 times so far this year). Although the pass blocking is better and the passing game is doing great we still gotta find a way to run the ball.

I hope Mendy is a huge boost but based on past years with an inconsistent ground attack and a poor OL, I won't believe it till I see it.

Real Deal Steel
09-28-2012, 01:13 PM
Dwyer's turf toe has slowed him down. So to me, Mendy gets his job back by default. But again, the O-line is just super crappy when it comes to run blocking.

Big T
09-28-2012, 01:17 PM
Of course Mendenhall isn't going to come in and completely fix the run game by himself. He needs a little help from the line, but he'll definitely help. No question the job should be his.

Steveo
09-28-2012, 01:22 PM
The job is Mendenhalls to loose, but as stated here already the o-line has to do its part.
Sent from my Lumia 710 using Board Express

Phenomenal TJ
09-28-2012, 01:39 PM
He's going to boost the running game, but he's not going to make it the best in the league.

BlitzburghRockCity
09-28-2012, 02:32 PM
Being tied for last in the league in rushing, I'd settle for middle of the pack status when Mendy gets back, lol.
Anything is going to be an improvement.

I don't pin this worst start in 62 years on either Redman or Dwyer soley. I'm still a huge fan of both but man I would do almost anything to have a good offensive line.

LatrobePA
09-28-2012, 02:37 PM
I pin this stat solely on Tomlin. He knew going into the season we had RB issues, now I can give him a pass for trying to sturdy up the line via the draft but this RB thing is a mess w/ out Mendy and there were a lot better options out there than the group we have now.

Big T
09-28-2012, 02:46 PM
I pin this stat solely on Tomlin. He knew going into the season we had RB issues, now I can give him a pass for trying to sturdy up the line via the draft but this RB thing is a mess w/ out Mendy and there were a lot better options out there than the group we have now.

But Redman is the savior... He runs so hard. He's so much better than Mendenhall.

LatrobePA
09-28-2012, 03:05 PM
But Redman is the savior... He runs so hard. He's so much better than Mendenhall.

I just puked. lol

Real Deal Steel
09-28-2012, 03:55 PM
I blame the front office for not using free agency to add just ONE legit veteran O-lineman to add to the guys we drafted. It's time to join the 20th century Mr. Colbert.

Nolrog
09-28-2012, 04:10 PM
Mendy is the best back on the team. They may need to ease him back in, but without question, he's the starter.

SnakeEyes43
09-28-2012, 04:14 PM
Mendy should be eased back into the starting role, but I still want to see plenty of a healthy Dwyer.
Redman needs to go back to being a situational back only.

steelspikes
09-29-2012, 12:10 AM
Mendy is the best back on the team. They may need to ease him back in, but without question, he's the starter.

Agree 100%. Would add one note: even though run stats in terms of yards-per-rush is pretty horrible so far, both Redman & Dwyer have been effective in spots, particularly in short yardage situations and inside the red zone. Haley know it's a passing/scoring league. Sometimes effective situational running is all that is needed (see N.E. Patriots) in offenses that consistently put up points.

ChucktownSteeler
09-29-2012, 12:37 PM
If healthy. Mendy is the man.

Black@Gold Forever32
09-29-2012, 12:48 PM
Mendenhall doesn't lose his job due to injury........The OL is terrible at run blocking so who knows how much Rashard will improve the running game........

Get7With7
09-29-2012, 06:16 PM
People shouldn't expect an RB coming back from an ACL injury to play at a high-level right away.

Real Deal Steel
09-30-2012, 01:18 PM
Mendenhall doesn't lose his job due to injury........The OL is terrible at run blocking so who knows how much Rashard will improve the running game........

Thank you.