PDA

View Full Version : IS STEELER "D" STARTING TO FEEL LIKE THAT OLD CAR?

steelspikes
09-27-2012, 08:17 PM
You know the one. It was never the prettiest ride on the block, but it always got the job done. And even when it started falling apart you didn't want to admit it. So you tried to fix it or took it in for more repairs than it was worth, hoping against hope that it would be the sweet ride once again that never failed you. But you really knew deep down that over the years too many essential parts had been either worn down or discarded, and that its glory days were over. And you got that sick feeling that you were soon going to have to part with "old faithful" and find another way...
It's kind of the way I'm starting to think of the Steeler "D." For over a decade it has "firing on all cylinders," tuned to near perfection by that trusty ol' mechanic--Dick LeBeau. But now you lose some essential parts: Aaron Smith, some crucial spares: Chris Hoke, and other parts: Harrison, Polamalu, Hampton, have been maybe just a little too beat up....to the point that they may never be what they once were. And try as he may, the mechanic can only work with what's under the hood(Ziggy?).
I hope I am wrong and the Steeler "D" has a stellar year. Last minute heroics aside, this is the "D" that has given us two SB Championships this century. It wasn't the Bruce Arians 22 ppg. offense.
But today's offense has the potential to score at a much higher average. Under Haley I expect the Steelers to be in the top third of the NFL in terms of points-per-game scored (not the bottom third as we were last year).
The historically stingy Steeler "D," however, is another question. I don't see our defensive line being capable of shutting down opponents' run game, as we have in past years. And if giving up 34 points to a Carson Palmer-led offense is any indication of our ability to limit scoring, it may be a season where Steeler fans need to become accustomed to shoot-outs. That will be a major departure from past years.

Nolrog
09-27-2012, 09:37 PM
I'd argue that they smell like a backed up septic system.

JoeSteelerFan
09-27-2012, 09:48 PM
The nucleus of every great Steeler defense starts and ends with a rock solid LB'in corp.

We just don't have that right now. With Harrison out and looking more and more like his days are numbered, and an average MLB in Foote (at best), this corp is very limited in what they're able to do.

LatrobePA
09-27-2012, 09:53 PM
I'd argue that they smell like a backed up septic system.

Lmao!

Black@Gold Forever32
09-27-2012, 10:00 PM
The DL is average and the LB's while being paid like elite players are not performing like elite players....Yes the poor play of the DL effects the LBs but Woodley and Timmons play better start matching their pay checks.......Especially Timmons.......

Farrior Fan
09-27-2012, 10:14 PM
My 2004 Saturn with 143,000 miles runs like new. When I need to fix something I google how to fix it then go to NAPA to get the part. I hope we have the parts some where on the roster, then maybe the coaches can google some Steeler forums for ideas on how to fix this wreck.

SteelerCountry58
09-27-2012, 10:16 PM
Timmons is coasting and Woodley looks lost by not having a specific role. Screw dropping
back in coverage. Rush the ends and hurry up the oppossing QB! Everytime we "drop" back
it just gives the QB more time to pick his spots,especially happens with the TE's who don't
get covered by our LB's anyhow on most plays. I'm really disappointed in Hood and Heyward
also. They haven't showed my squat when they get in. If you wanna stay in,show something!!

SteelCityVoice
09-27-2012, 10:36 PM
The DL has to suck up blocks better for the linebackers, and then the LB's have to make plays. Larry Foote is not an elite talent. With Harrison out, that means half of the key part of a 3-4 is not good enough. That's a major reason why Wodley and Timmons have been shadows of their former selves. No respect for the other linebackers.

It also seems like our DB's are not as adept at stopping the run anymore (See Ryan Mundy on the McFadden TD run)

Hopefully getting Troy and Harrison back into the lineup with change things but it starts up front. Hood and Heyward HAVE to get better.

LatrobePA
09-27-2012, 11:46 PM
Starting to stink???

Goodfrom55
09-28-2012, 08:36 AM
Personnel issues mostly, but with some subtle changes, Steelers can be defensively strong again.

Hampton to the bench, replace with McClendon
Woddy from the Strong Side to the weak side (Harrison's side). Move Worilds / Carter to Woody's side.
Corners play more physical coverage, more press and less zone. Use their size to their advantage. Beat up the WR's, and disrupt the timing of the offense.
Foote to this point has been playing pretty well while Timmons has been irrelevant. Why? He looks bigger and slower but he also seems out of position; like he is learning this LB position for the 1st time.
Ryan Mundy is USELESS. . .no business in the NFL.

LatrobePA
09-28-2012, 08:41 AM
And Tomlin keeps waxing and polishing it, I read today he gave the team some days off.. IMO maybe those days off should of been spent running through a few new looks?? But no they'll come out against Vick with the same ole ****!

LarryNJ
09-28-2012, 09:17 AM
And Tomlin keeps waxing and polishing it, I read today he gave the team some days off.. IMO maybe those days off should of been spent running through a few new looks?? But no they'll come out against Vick with the same ole ****!

Give the players off and the coaches work 18 hours a day coming up with something different. When the players get back they can learn it easily.

Goodfrom55
09-28-2012, 09:24 AM
They don't need to re-invent the wheel, but they just need to disguise some looks and implement a couple new blitzes.

LatrobePA
09-28-2012, 09:35 AM
Give the players off and the coaches work 18 hours a day coming up with something different. When the players get back they can learn it easily.

Sounds good to me, make it happen Larry! lol

steelspikes
09-28-2012, 10:11 AM
My 2004 Saturn with 143,000 miles runs like new. When I need to fix something I google how to fix it then go to NAPA to get the part. I hope we have the parts some where on the roster, then maybe the coaches can google some Steeler forums for ideas on how to fix this wreck.
Thanks. I'm looking at getting a '95 Saturn for a "beater"; allegedly gets good gas mileage too.

SnakeEyes43
09-28-2012, 10:42 AM
My grandma's 87' Buick runs better than this defense.

LatrobePA
09-28-2012, 11:10 AM
This defense smells like my bicycle seat!

BlitzburghRockCity
09-28-2012, 11:57 AM
That's probably the best analogy that I've ever heard man! It's a hard pill to swallow realizing that your defense isn't what it once was. Even that #1 rating from last year, as we all know, wasn't indicative of how they really played consistently. Sure there were sparks, like against the Bengals last year with a late game interception but by in large they struggled more than we'd like to admit.

Now the offense has taken over, because of good drafting at the skill positions and great play from guys like Ben and Heath. The front office dumped a ton of money into upgrading the offense but the defense hasn't panned out yet because of injuries and sub par play from the "next man up".

Like I've heard several times and really believe, a Dick Lebeau offense requires super stars pretty much across the board and he just doesn't have the horses right now.

DBR96A
09-28-2012, 02:26 PM
Regarding the defensive line, I'm beginning to believe that the chop-blocking rule was revised specifically to hurt 2-gap defenses, if not ours specifically.

Nolrog
09-28-2012, 03:19 PM
Like I've heard several times and really believe, a Dick Lebeau offense requires super stars pretty much across the board and he just doesn't have the horses right now.

I've just solved the problem of the Steelers circa 2012. LeBeau should be coaching the defense!!!

BubbyBlister
09-28-2012, 05:03 PM
Yes it is like trying to make love in the back of a Chevette. You can't score and have no protection. Wait a minute my bad that was the Steelers offense under Arians.

cbyzerman
09-29-2012, 12:50 PM
You kidding me, this dfense reminds of the car you see on someones front yard on blocks without tires. This defense is old. Troy is half as good as he use to be, who knows what were are gonna get with harrison. Woodley is lost with out him. Keisel is shot. Our cornerbacks stink. Did anyone see hampton run the other day? He use to actually get in the back field on every play. Now he cant even move. Remember when He took Eddy Georges head off 5 yds behind the line of scrimmage in the playoffs his rookie year? They dont even resemble the same person.

It will get better as the year goes and get troy and harrison back but will never be dominate again.............

chisteeler
10-02-2012, 12:42 PM
I liked the analogy of the defense and an old car. It made me think of some quotes from Christine that go along with being an avid Steelers fan.

Whoa, whoa. You better watch what you say about my car. She's real sensitive. (Our love of the "D")

I knew a guy had a car like that once. F**kin' bastard killed himself in it. Son of a bitch was so mean, you could've poured boiling water down his throat and he would've pissed ice cubes! (They can be a mean bunch)

Of course, the car came back three weeks later. (The "D" will return to form)

Real Deal Steel
10-02-2012, 01:39 PM
Old = Le Beau

RIVERS OF STEEL
10-02-2012, 03:00 PM
That was the call last year and now it is a year older with really balding tires. There is no more money for repairs.

connecticutsteel
10-04-2012, 07:46 PM
Why is everyone saying that LeBeau's scheme is the problem the Cardinals run almost the exact same defense and there defense is playing great .So like i have said all along it's not the scheme it's the talent we don't have the same talent level that we used to have one remedy would be to let Heyward start move ziggy to NT and rotate keisel and hampton and sprinkle some Woods in to

coldrolled
10-04-2012, 07:59 PM
Why is everyone saying that LeBeau's scheme is the problem the Cardinals run almost the exact same defense and there defense is playing great .So like i have said all along it's not the scheme it's the talent we don't have the same talent level that we used to have one remedy would be to let Heyward start move ziggy to NT and rotate keisel and hampton and sprinkle some Woods in to

Maybe we should have kept Horton? Maybe DL needs to step back... Let the young guy coach...

LatrobePA
10-04-2012, 08:24 PM
Early draft picks have helped the Cards get young and good!

connecticutsteel
10-04-2012, 10:59 PM
Again the problem isn't young guy vs old guy it's player vs player and it appeaers they have better players although there division is weak

Stone
10-05-2012, 09:04 AM
Regardless of LB play, DL play, Cornerback play etc. I am beginning to wish that LeBeau would get mean or get out.