PDA

View Full Version : Roethlisberger on pace for his best passing season ever

BlitzburghRockCity
09-26-2012, 09:23 AM
So far on the season through 3 games, Big Ben has 904 yds. That puts him on pace to beat his former mark of 4,328 in 2009 and certainly last season of 4,077 yds. His next closest to either of those was 2006 with 3,513 yds.

Touchdowns: His best ever was 32 back in 2007, since then the closest he's come to that was 26 in 2009. He's on pace to crush that with as many as 40 or more this year.

I know it's only week 4 coming up in the NFL, but if you're a fan of passing then you're probably loving this offense. I'm sure there will still be games when he's at 200 yds, 1 TD, and 1 Int but the days of that being the norm are long gone.

Get7With7
09-26-2012, 11:45 AM
Yup........ good ole' fashioned Stiller football. Just like Art Rooney II wants!

BlitzburghRockCity
09-26-2012, 11:56 AM
Maybe we can't run worth a crap but damnit we can throw :lol: Guess that tweaking your game thing is working out so pretty well so far, except for the 9 sacks through 3 games.

cmerrifield
09-26-2012, 12:07 PM
Maybe we can't run worth a crap but damnit we can throw :lol: Guess that tweaking your game thing is working out so pretty well so far, except for the 9 sacks through 3 games.

At least it's not been 8 in one half.

sent from my Galaxy SIII using tapatalk 2

Phenomenal TJ
09-26-2012, 12:41 PM
Yup........ good ole' fashioned Stiller football. Just like Art Rooney II wants!

I see nothing wrong with the Steelers getting with the times in the NFL. The rules are centered around protecting quarterbacks and wide receivers, no one cares about the running backs, making them all but phased out of the game.

As far as the sacks go, look at the breakdown, they've steadily decreased through the first three games of the year, with the Denver game being the only really bad one of the bunch, and part of that can be chalked up to losing half of the offensive line.

Big T
09-26-2012, 01:20 PM
I see nothing wrong with the Steelers getting with the times in the NFL. The rules are centered around protecting quarterbacks and wide receivers, no one cares about the running backs, making them all but phased out of the game.

As far as the sacks go, look at the breakdown, they've steadily decreased through the first three games of the year, with the Denver game being the only really bad one of the bunch, and part of that can be chalked up to losing half of the offensive line.

He was being sarcastic. Since he's been here I'd say 95% of his posts were about utilizing the weapons we have in the passing game. Definitely agree.

Big T
09-26-2012, 01:22 PM
Oh and one more thing... Ben Roethlisbeger:

http://sundayisforlovers.files.wordpress.com/2009/05/red-heart.png

BlitzburghRockCity
09-26-2012, 02:46 PM
They didn't bring in Todd Haley to get back to ground and pound. Haley has bee known to have a good running game, but this team is built for the pass there is no question. Haley's ability to adapt to the strength of the offense is a big reason that he's here.

You don't draft Wallace, Brown, and Sanders and use Miller as much as you have been if you're going to be a run team.

steelchamp204
09-26-2012, 03:17 PM
Im glad to see Ben doing this and the offense on fire. I just hope we have a good defensive year to go along with that. I dont want to be the Saints/Pats kinda team where we have to put up about 27 a game to win.

LatrobePA
09-26-2012, 03:19 PM
Ben's on pace for a great season while the team is on pace for a losing season... I'm happy for Ben but this is a team sport!

steelchamp204
09-26-2012, 03:43 PM
I know Ben had a great game at Oakland not taking anything away from him. I dont want Ben to have to win the game for us every week. I liked it when Ben was a "manager" type QB. Just covert the 3rd downs and throw for about 25 times a game. Man how the past has moved on so quickly. I know I know, we cant run the ball. :(

LarryNJ
09-26-2012, 04:17 PM
Ben's on pace for a great season while the team is on pace for a losing season... I'm happy for Ben but this is a team sport!

yes we don't need a Dan Fouts.

Let's see how we do against the Eagles, Giants, Cowboys who can all rush the passer.

Phenomenal TJ
09-26-2012, 05:55 PM

Let's see how we do against the Eagles, Giants, Cowboys who can all rush the passer.

Those teams have 7, 6 and 7 sacks, respectively. By comparison, the Browns and Bengals both have more sacks than those teams, and they're a little more intent on beating the Steelers than the other trio. Besides, the Broncos can rush the passer with the best of them, and like I said, part of the reason they got to Roethlisberger so many times had to do with offensive linemen going down like flies.

LarryNJ
09-26-2012, 05:59 PM
Those teams have 7, 6 and 7 sacks, respectively. By comparison, the Browns and Bengals both have more sacks than those teams, and they're a little more intent on beating the Steelers than the other trio. Besides, the Broncos can rush the passer with the best of them, and like I said, part of the reason they got to Roethlisberger so many times had to do with offensive linemen going down like flies.

This is true, but I think we'll give up more sacks in the games against the NFC east than we will in the 4 against the Ohio teams. We'll see.

Real Deal Steel
09-26-2012, 06:19 PM
Yeah...keep putting down the running game. And we'll be home for the holidays with all of you talking about just how good the passing game is. While at home eating Turkey and watching the Texans (running team) heading to the Super Bowl.

Black@Gold Forever32
09-26-2012, 08:44 PM

Ben should never be compared to Dan Fouts........Philip Rivers is a much better comparison to Fouts............Are you kidding me...........You wonder why I mentioned that you would prefer Drew Brees and Aaron Rodgers in another thread.....lol I swear WTF is it with you and Ben?......Ben has helped this team win two Super Bowls and a ton of football games.....Plus plays hurt all the time but yet all you can do is take shots at him and not give him any credit......

Black@Gold Forever32
09-26-2012, 08:46 PM
Yeah...keep putting down the running game. And we'll be home for the holidays with all of you talking about just how good the passing game is. While at home eating Turkey and watching the Texans (running team) heading to the Super Bowl.

You wanna make a bet the Texans don't make the Super Bowl?....The 49ers have a running game and play great defense but their lack of an explosive passing game will hinder them from reaching the Super Bowl....

The Texans do have the weapons in a passing game but I don't they will make the Super Bowl and the biggest reason will be Matt Schaub.....book it..........Schaub is a fraud.......

SnakeEyes43
09-26-2012, 09:15 PM
Ben should never be compared to Dan Fouts........Philip Rivers is a much better comparison to Fouts............Are you kidding me...........You wonder why I mentioned that you would prefer Drew Brees and Aaron Rodgers in another thread.....lol I swear WTF is it with you and Ben?......Ben has helped this team win two Super Bowls and a ton of football games.....Plus plays hurt all the time but yet all you can do is take shots at him and not give him any credit......

Now I get why you mentioned the "Ben taking shots" thing in the other thread. I knew pretty much knew what you meant, but now....gotcha. In 7-10 years people will look back and realize how spoiled we are by Ben. People don't stop yapping and realize how good he really is, they take him for granted.

Phenomenal TJ
09-26-2012, 09:17 PM

The running game is what it is at this point. There's not a doubt in my mind that with Rashard Mendenhall *A healthy Rashard Mendenhall* that the running game will help the team out, but right now, it's basically wasted plays. Unless Isaac Redman and Jonathan Dwyer can somehow figured out to explode onto the NFL scene and start making plays, the passing game is the best chance this team has.

As far as the Texans getting to the Super Bowl, I doubt it, but stranger things have happened.

LarryNJ
09-26-2012, 10:49 PM

I never compared him to Dan Fouts. You are like an over protective mother who is too emotional. You did what I did with Bens comment. Took one line that someone quoted from his interview and over reacted. After I listened to the entire interview I said I was wrong.

The Dan Fouts reference was in response to Latrobes comment. It was in no way derogatory towards Ben. Go back and re read it and I think you'll see what I meant.

LatrobePA
09-26-2012, 11:01 PM
Come on guys loosen up the thongs and chill out. It's all in good times lets not get into a pissing match over it..

Phenomenal TJ
09-26-2012, 11:15 PM
Come on guys loosen up the thongs and chill out. It's all in good times lets not get into a pissing match over it..

Or at least remember to unzip BEFORE you start the pissing.

LatrobePA
09-26-2012, 11:43 PM
Or at least remember to unzip BEFORE you start the pissing.

Exactly.. Or zip the bag in the zipper on the way up.

DBR96A
09-27-2012, 04:49 AM
Remember six months ago when some people said that Roethlisberger is too stupid to learn a new system of offense? Methinks those persons do protest too much.

Real Deal Steel
09-27-2012, 10:36 AM
You wanna make a bet the Texans don't make the Super Bowl?....The 49ers have a running game and play great defense but their lack of an explosive passing game will hinder them from reaching the Super Bowl....

The Texans do have the weapons in a passing game but I don't they will make the Super Bowl and the biggest reason will be Matt Schaub.....book it..........Schaub is a fraud.......

You clearly don't know what your talking about. Schaub is not a fraud.

The 49ers are a fraud because Alex Smith can't do anything if Frank Gore isn't keeping the defense distracted.

Schaub can throw for 300 yards a game if he has too. That can't be said for Alex Smith.

Real Deal Steel
09-27-2012, 10:37 AM
Go see last weeks game against the Broncos. When the Broncos were putting everyone and their grandmother in the box to stop Foster.

Schaub bombed them out the stadium and then came back to Foster who sealed the deal. Anyone who thinks that Schaub is a fraud hasn't been watching him his entire career. Schaub is as good as any QB when healthy.

steelchamp204
09-27-2012, 01:51 PM
I remember the Steelers making the SB's on a solid running game and Ben "managing" the game. He didnt have to throw 35 times a game. Running game and a solid defense is going to be back soon. This pass happy league thing will be gone in a couple years. All you need is about 5 run teams with solid defenses to eat clock.

SnakeEyes43
09-27-2012, 08:26 PM
Running game and a solid defense is going to be back soon. This pass happy league thing will be gone in a couple years. All you need is about 5 run teams with solid defenses to eat clock.

I wish I could agree with you, I really do. Like, a lot.

But the pass happy NFL is here to stay, in my humble opinion. In fact, I think it's only going to get worse.
What do most average-joe fans want? Lots of points and lots of action. A pounding run game and stingy defense makes for a boring game, according to these people. The NFL wants as many viewers as possible, and will do whatever it takes to get as many people to watch the games. For them, it's all about maximizing the audience. The NFL will keep making rule changes to protect the QB and WR, while weakening and taking away that "intimidation factor" from tough defenses like the Steelers. The run game will always be a factor of course, but the pass happy National Flag Football League isn't going anywhere.

Also, you can eat up plenty of clock with a solid pass attack, look at us this year.

Black@Gold Forever32
09-27-2012, 10:11 PM
You clearly don't know what your talking about. Schaub is not a fraud.

The 49ers are a fraud because Alex Smith can't do anything if Frank Gore isn't keeping the defense distracted.

Schaub can throw for 300 yards a game if he has too. That can't be said for Alex Smith.

Oh I clearly don't know what I'm talking about cause you say so....lol Who the **** are you Vince Lombardi?.....lol I'm entitled to my opinion just like you so check your ****ing ego and quit acting you know all about the ****ing NFL....What has Schaub ever ****ing won?....Yea I know he was hurt when the Texans made the play-offs last year....But until he proves himself in the post season I will have doubts about him being an elite QB....Plus look how many times the Texans were picked to over take the Colts but didn't do so until Manning was injured....Schaub takes some of the blame...

By the way its clearly you can't ****ing read since I said the 49ers wouldn't reach the Super Bowl due to their lack of an explosive passing game.....

Black@Gold Forever32
09-27-2012, 10:14 PM
Go see last weeks game against the Broncos. When the Broncos were putting everyone and their grandmother in the box to stop Foster.

Schaub bombed them out the stadium and then came back to Foster who sealed the deal. Anyone who thinks that Schaub is a fraud hasn't been watching him his entire career. Schaub is as good as any QB when healthy.

Yea its real ****ing easy for a QB to do well with that type of running game and defense.....TJ Yates even won a play-off game with that running game and defense.....Yates has more play-off wins then your boy Matt Schaub....lol By the way I know all about Matt Schaub going back to his college days........Sorry just not fan since he can never seem to stay healthy and like I said until he wins something then talk to me......

For the record I'm not saying TJ Yates is better then Matt Schaub but just saying life is made easy for a QB in Houston............Yates winning a play-off game last year proves that.......

Black@Gold Forever32
09-27-2012, 10:30 PM
Plus the Texans have one of the best OLs in the NFL.........Hell I would love to see what Ben could do with the Texans...........lol

Real Deal Steel
09-28-2012, 12:25 AM
My whole point is that if we get a lead, a running game can eat up the clock and secure a win. With no running game, well....we saw how the Raiders came back last week.