PDA

View Full Version : Too much value placed on Ike Taylor?

BlitzburghRockCity
09-25-2012, 09:48 AM
This has nothing to do with any fans jumping off bridges at the 1-2 start, but rather just an interesting point I heard the other night on a post game talk show. For so long Ike Taylor has been the best cornerback on the Steelers roster and as of now he still is. For what it's worth Cortez Allen is having a rough year so far but still has huge potential; Keenan Lewis has been inconsistent.

Up until that playoff loss last year, teams rarely threw towards Taylor because they had no need too. There were a ton of options everywhere else to attack. Last year Ike had the best year of his career but that Denver game was a disaster.

Now this season teams are attacking him left and right and having success. So I ask you, how much of that is just Taylor struggling with the rest of the secondary vs maybe Taylor losing a step or being over rated from the past?

LatrobePA
09-25-2012, 09:56 AM
I've been saying it for years.

FlatsSteeler
09-25-2012, 10:07 AM
I have never considered Ike Taylor a good CB.....He is serviceable at best........

teeceemadison
09-25-2012, 10:17 AM
your corners are only as good as your pass rush allows them to be.....

Zachintosh66
09-25-2012, 10:29 AM
teecee has a point...

it seems like Ike has always been on the cusp of being great, not just good. I personally have always liked him and pushed for him but this year his teammates wont help his cause.

steelersbabex25
09-25-2012, 10:38 AM
Oh my god have any of you ever watched Ike Taylor play? He's one of the most valuable players on our defense right now. One of the best corners in the league IMO. Continually shuts down wide receivers. You're crazy if you think we could do without him.

SnakeEyes43
09-25-2012, 11:10 AM
Oh my god have any of you ever watched Ike Taylor play? He's one of the most valuable players on our defense right now. One of the best corners in the league IMO. Continually shuts down wide receivers. You're crazy if you think we could do without him.

Ike isn't tops in the league, but he is a very hard working player. He might be a little overpayed on his new contract, but he does a great job for us 98% of the time. I'm happy with him.

BlitzburghRockCity
09-25-2012, 11:15 AM
He is clearly the best corner on the roster right now, I think we can all agree on that. He had his best year of his career last year not because of the interceptions but with passes defensed and things of that nature. He can effectively shut down most receivers in the game.

Maybe it is just him being exposed this year more because the secondary is struggling in general?

Remember, last year there was very little pass rush either.

SnakeEyes43
09-25-2012, 11:17 AM
Maybe it is just him being exposed this year more because the secondary is struggling in general?

I think the secondary looks better than it has in a few years, and thats without Troy. The LB and D-line are what have me pulling my hair out.

Big T
09-25-2012, 12:01 PM
All starts with the D line. They aren't holding their blocks, that isn't allowing the linebackers to get pressure, and in turn the secondary is forced to stay with the receivers longer and they get exposed. Start Heyward over Hood and McClendon over Snack and there will be improvements.

MySteelerNation
09-25-2012, 12:05 PM
Ike is a good corner. But the scheme is showing his weaknesses. He's definitely lost a step which is why LeBeau had him 10 yards off the receivers constantly.

Secondary is better without Troy which leads to other questions. Move to 43 and Troy as an OLB? Seriously. Not a bad idea. It's basically what he does now anyway. Atleast moving him to that spot would allow us to have another safety rather than forcing Clark to cover the entire field.

steelchamp204
09-25-2012, 12:18 PM
Im not saying Ike is top 5 in the league. But he is damn solid, has been for years with us. The thing is you can not expect ANY corner to stay with a receiver for more than 6 seconds or so. The Revis's, Bailey's of the world wouldnt be able to stick with there man for that long. If the front line is not getting pressure and making the QB throw the ball when he should or earlier, it will be a long day for the corners. Thats like Ben for example, when he keeps plays alive after the play is busted, thats how he almost always finds receivers, it is just to hard on the corners. The defense as a whole riht now just is not playing well.

MySteelerNation
09-25-2012, 12:23 PM
I agree, it is hard on the corners... but they aren't good as it is either. Can't get around that fact

SnakeEyes43
09-25-2012, 12:26 PM
Secondary is better without Troy which leads to other questions. Move to 43 and Troy as an OLB? Seriously. Not a bad idea. It's basically what he does now anyway. Atleast moving him to that spot would allow us to have another safety rather than forcing Clark to cover the entire field.

It is basicially what he does now, but there are two other 240lb men in the middle as well to soak up blocks. When he blitzes the edge he relies on the DE or OLB to soak up the block there too as well.

I think Troy as an OLB in a 4-3 would be pretty ineffective, plus he would be hurt after one game.

LatrobePA
09-25-2012, 12:34 PM
Gang I've got bad news, Troy will never be what he used to, he's a china doll!! Lets move on a bit, we need a solid pass rush, see Seahawks defense! That used to be us, now after **** poor drafting and age we are stuck in a rut!

MySteelerNation
09-25-2012, 12:45 PM
Gang I've got bad news, Troy will never be what he used to, he's a china doll!! Lets move on a bit, we need a solid pass rush, see Seahawks defense! That used to be us, now after **** poor drafting and age we are stuck in a rut!

Agreed my friend. it is pretty pathetic how quickly age has caught up to these guys. They haven't drafted a STARTER on defense in 5/6 years(exception of Woodley and Timmons, and they were both in the same draft)... correct me if I'm wrong. Im not counting Hood or Heyward yet because they arent consistent starters.

Troy needs to call it quits. China doll he definitely is. No ball hawking skill at all. Need someone that QB's are afraid to even bother going deep on. Its very easy to phase Troy out of a game nowadays. Once he cheats up, he leaves Clark to defend the entire back quarter of the field.

LarryNJ
09-25-2012, 12:53 PM
Agreed my friend. it is pretty pathetic how quickly age has caught up to these guys.

Hmmmm..interesting that now the Steeler fans are agreeing with Warren Sapp. :)

MySteelerNation
09-25-2012, 12:58 PM

Not disagreeing with him at this point. But I find it shocking how QUICKLY the age caught up with them. They look slow, out of position, cant tackle... not sure what is going on in Pittsburgh

LatrobePA
09-25-2012, 01:04 PM

Lol sometimes the truth hurts. Look what the Giants did last year, they got healthy and made a run. We have plenty of time for that.

Zachintosh66
09-25-2012, 01:17 PM

except when in Denver...

ChucktownSteeler
09-25-2012, 01:24 PM

Agreed

Blazedby92
09-25-2012, 03:04 PM
All starts with the D line. They aren't holding their blocks, that isn't allowing the linebackers to get pressure, and in turn the secondary is forced to stay with the receivers longer and they get exposed. Start Heyward over Hood and McClendon over Snack and there will be improvements.

Kind of my thinking, at least put Heyward and McClendon in to sleek hood and snack to see how it works out and I bet it will be better

cbrunn
09-25-2012, 08:40 PM

This is what I have been saying Colbert isn't as much of a genius as he gets credit for ... don't get me wrong he's good just not this evil draft genius

steelspikes
09-25-2012, 09:37 PM
Absence of Harrison & Troy takes a huge bite out of Lebeau's schemes. Minus Harrison, teams can focus on blocking Woodley, thereby eliminating pressure. And without Troy, the defense loses the element of surprise which has been so key over the past several years. When these guys return, I expect they should elevate the play of the other 9 defenders, including #24.

Real Deal Steel
09-25-2012, 09:43 PM
Ike is the best corner on a team with a bunch of just below average cornerbacks. Taylor is overrated.

LatrobePA
09-25-2012, 09:59 PM
Ike is the best corner on a team with a bunch of just below average cornerbacks. Taylor is overrated.

Yeppers!

Nolrog
09-25-2012, 11:35 PM

Couldn't be more correct. When the opposing QB has all day to throw the ball, doesn't matter how good or bad the corners are. They're going to get beat.

Zachintosh66
09-25-2012, 11:45 PM
He's definitely lost a step which is why LeBeau had him 10 yards off the receivers constantly.

BS hes always been 10 yds off

Big T
09-26-2012, 12:57 AM
BS hes always been 10 yds off

Exactly. That's just LeBeau's scheme.

Danger DANJ
09-26-2012, 01:47 AM
Wow! Ike is still a really good corner and Troy (when healthy of course) is still an asset to the defense. You really think they are the problem? Without Ike we would be screwed. And how can you say we are better without Troy? Did you not watch the Raiders game? Even a blind man can see the problem is the D line and linebackers not getting any pressure. That will make the best CB in history look like a scrub. The other problem is Coach Dad. His schemes don't work with the players he has to work with. Time for some new schemes and a new DC.