PDA

View Full Version : Big Ben calling plays not even in the playbook

CowherPower
09-24-2012, 12:10 PM
Ben was commenting last night after the game that during some situations against Oakland that he was calling plays that weren't even in the playbook. Assuming they were Arian's holdovers, how will that go over in the meetings this week? He, Ben, says they worked because guys knew what was going on but I wonder if TH is happy with Ben improvising that much?

After the 34-31 loss to the Oakland Raiders, Ben Roethlisberger commented on how he felt the offense played, saying "I felt like offensively we kind of did the things we wanted to do; no huddle the whole second half. It felt like we moved the ball down the field; there were plays out there that I called that weren’t in our playbook. I know it sounds crazy; things that we’ve had from years past that guys were on the same page and it worked. I take my hat off to the line, receivers, tight ends, because they made plays."

Ken Laird (http://sulia.com/channel/pittsburgh-steelers/f/3831f6c6-cd1d-4bfb-aeb3-6315daf11aa5/?source=twitter)

steelchamp204
09-24-2012, 12:14 PM
Lets not make a big deal of this please.

LatrobePA
09-24-2012, 12:17 PM
I wish Ben would keep quiet, it's almost a dig at Haley.

FlatsSteeler
09-24-2012, 12:22 PM
Ya why even say that......you lost shut the $^*#*^ up.......You have one of your best passing games ever and you throw a dig at your new OC......

Big T
09-24-2012, 12:23 PM
Ya lets not make this out to be a big deal and try to create a rift between Ben and Haley that isn't there lol.

LarryNJ
09-24-2012, 01:15 PM
It didn't work on your last drive Ben.

Steveo
09-24-2012, 01:26 PM
Agreed Bens a great QB, but he runs his mouth in the media to much
Sent from my Lumia 710 using Board Express

Big T
09-24-2012, 02:12 PM
If you watch the clip, it really doesn't seem like it was meant to be a dig. Pretty sure he meant it in terms of how well the offense was gelling and how everyone was on the same page to where they could run plays not even in the playbook.

Real Deal Steel
09-24-2012, 02:22 PM
Ben needs to shut up. Period. Talking to much about things that need to be kept between the players and the OC.

BlitzburghRockCity
09-24-2012, 05:46 PM
I agree, I can't see it as Ben taking a shot at Haley either. He simply mentioned that he was improvising. Perhaps it's better left unsaid, I'll give you that.

Black@Gold Forever32
09-24-2012, 06:59 PM
It didn't work on your last drive Ben.

Really another shot at Ben?......give me a break...I guess Ben has to go out there and play defense now to?..........31 points should have been plenty to be a very bad Raiders team yesterday.......

LarryNJ
09-24-2012, 07:45 PM
Really another shot at Ben?......give me a break...I guess Ben has to go out there and play defense now to?..........31 points should have been plenty to be a very bad Raiders team yesterday.......

Of course 31 points should be enough to beat the Raiders. Hell it should be enough to beat any team. But the fact remains that no matter how good of a game he had he didn't do enough to win. If he didn't open his mouth there would be far less shots taken at him. There's been plenty of games that the defense has covered his *** over the years by holding teams to 17 points or so and losing.

Big T
09-24-2012, 08:08 PM
People saying he should've kept his mouth shut haven't actually watched the video. He didn't say it as a slight to Haley... Jesus. Let's blow everything completely out of proportion after a bad loss.

LarryNJ
09-24-2012, 08:42 PM
Do you have a link to it?

Big T
09-24-2012, 08:48 PM
Do you have a link to it?

http://www.steelers.com/video-and-audio/videos/Ben-Roethlisberger---Post-game---at-Raiders/6b496768-5755-4f54-a4c2-2cfdf33d00e8

LarryNJ
09-24-2012, 08:58 PM
People saying he should've kept his mouth shut haven't actually watched the video. He didn't say it as a slight to Haley... .

You are right thanks for pointing that out to me. He said all the right things. I should know better than to take one quote from an article.

Big T
09-24-2012, 09:04 PM
You are right thanks for pointing that out to me. He said all the right things. I should know better than to take one quote from an article.

I've been guilty of it too lol. But that's a trend after a loss. People tend to take every little thing done and said and find every possible angle and blow things out of proportion.

Black@Gold Forever32
09-24-2012, 09:28 PM
Of course 31 points should be enough to beat the Raiders. Hell it should be enough to beat any team. But the fact remains that no matter how good of a game he had he didn't do enough to win. If he didn't open his mouth there would be far less shots taken at him. There's been plenty of games that the defense has covered his *** over the years by holding teams to 17 points or so and losing.

Yea I know you rather have bitch boy Drew Brees who would last all of three games behind the Steelers **** poor OL or current NFL poster boy Aaron Rodgers........

As for Ben not doing enough to win yesterday....lol yea ok....What more did you want from him yesterday?.......lol Why don't you knock AB for really giving the game away yesterday with trying to do to much and coughing up the ball.....But yea Ben didn't do enough.......lol

Ben is playing his best football so far in three games......tied for first in TD passes, tied for 4th in passing yards, top 7 in completion percentage..........all of this still behind an OL still in flux due to injuries this year..........the defense is to blame for this 1-2 start and not the QB.......

BlitzburghRockCity
09-24-2012, 09:34 PM
I call plays every week that aren't in the playbook. LOL, maybe I need to have a talk with Haley.

- From BRC's Bionic of Awesomeness

Black@Gold Forever32
09-24-2012, 09:39 PM
I swear this fanbase doesn't deserve a QB like Ben....His play in three play-off games before Super Bowl XL were huge in the Steelers reaching the Super Bowl as the 6th seed.....In 2008 after the Texans messed Ben's shoulder up early in the year and really you could tell Ben didn't have much velocity on his throws that entire season but Ben plays week in and week out.....Finally Ben is close to 100% in the postseason that same year and Ben bails out the defense after they blew a 10 point lead in Super Bowl XLIII.....Ben has helped this team win a ton of games and was a factor in the Steelers two Super Bowl wins...Yea he was lousy in XL but his play in those three play-off games before the Super Bowl was huge in the Steelers reaching the Super Bowl in the first place........Still some fans knock him left and right......just ridiculous......

LarryNJ
09-24-2012, 09:42 PM
Yea I know you rather have bitch boy Drew Brees who would last all of three games behind the Steelers **** poor OL or current NFL poster boy Aaron Rodgers........

Not sure where the Brees or Rodgers comments came from..

I said I was wrong after BigT showed me the entire interview.

Big T
09-24-2012, 09:43 PM
I swear this fanbase doesn't deserve a QB like Ben....His play in three play-off games before Super Bowl XL were huge in the Steelers reaching the Super Bowl as the 6th seed.....In 2008 after the Texans messed Ben's shoulder up early in the year and really you could tell Ben didn't have much velocity on his throws that entire season but Ben plays week in and week out.....Finally Ben is close to 100% in the postseason that same year and Ben bails out the defense after they blew a 10 point lead in Super Bowl XLIII.....Ben has helped this team win a ton of games and was a factor in the Steelers two Super Bowl wins...Yea he was lousy in XL but his play in those three play-off games before the Super Bowl was huge in the Steelers reaching the Super Bowl in the first place........Still some fans knock him left and right......just ridiculous......

Completely agree...

LarryNJ
09-24-2012, 09:48 PM
It goes with being a QB in any city that's passionate about their team. I'm sure it has no effect on Ben.

connecticutsteel
09-24-2012, 09:53 PM
I think it's awesome that he called plays from the old play book you can't prepare for that .Ben is a lock Hall of Fame qb even without athird super bowl

Black@Gold Forever32
09-24-2012, 11:10 PM
Completely agree...

Thanks Big T....I'm in constant defense of Ben....Today on ESPN radio Chicago the idiots on air said they probably would take Ben over Jay Cutler....Probably?....WTF?...........Just crazy that Ben never get his just due......

Big T
09-24-2012, 11:27 PM
Thanks Big T....I'm in constant defense of Ben....Today on ESPN radio Chicago the idiots on air said they probably would take Ben over Jay Cutler....Probably?....WTF?...........Just crazy that Ben never get his just due......

Absolutely. I'm the same way. Never understood how Ben doesn't get the credit he deserves. Without Ben, we're still on the hunt for the one for the thumb.

Real Deal Steel
09-25-2012, 12:19 AM
I love Ben too. But he needs to shut up sometimes. That's all were saying. I understand that Ben didn't mean it in a disrespectful way. But down the line, that can be turned around and twisted into something negative. A lot of the time, less is more.

But no one loves Ben more then me. But he says things sometimes.....

Big T
09-25-2012, 12:21 AM
I love Ben too. But he needs to shut up sometimes. That's all were saying.

But did you even watch the clip? This is not an instant where he needs to shut up lol...

Get7With7
09-25-2012, 02:00 PM
If Ben was taking a shot at someone with those comments, I wonder if they were aimed at Art Rooney II instead of Todd Haley.

LatrobePA
09-25-2012, 02:10 PM

Do you think had Ben not been accused of sexual assault he'd get more respect around the sports world? I often wonder this!

Ben and the whole team knows how the media twists things, all I said was I wish he'd keep stuff like that quiet.

BlitzburghRockCity
09-25-2012, 02:55 PM
Ben Roethlisberger clarifies he wasn't calling plays from the Bruce Arians' playbook, just using old hand signals in no-huddle situations - Will Graves - AP

LOL, I bet...Arians was there long enough that those old hand signals came from him somehow.

LatrobePA
09-25-2012, 03:08 PM
Ben Roethlisberger clarifies he wasn't calling plays from the Bruce Arians' playbook, just using old hand signals in no-huddle situations - Will Graves - AP

LOL, I bet...Arians was there long enough that those old hand signals came from him somehow.

Yea, a cupped hand in an up and down motion for 2-3 minutes while thinking of Ben.

Black@Gold Forever32
09-25-2012, 07:11 PM
Do you think had Ben not been accused of sexual assault he'd get more respect around the sports world? I often wonder this!

Ben and the whole team knows how the media twists things, all I said was I wish he'd keep stuff like that quiet.

Ben didn't get his just due before his off field troubles......

LatrobePA
09-25-2012, 07:17 PM
Ben didn't get his just due before his off field troubles......

His rookie year he cashed in on endorsements etc, it was the year after when things started..

LarryNJ
09-25-2012, 08:19 PM

Of course that effects things. I listen to local NYC & Philly sports talk and everyone of them have had him in the top 5 QB's for the last 5 years or so. Most national guys do also.

Do you remember the game against the Jags? I think it was a Monday night game the Jags were on about the 15 or so and the Steelers CB was playing 10 yards off the receiver. Mark Brunnell came up to the line, saw the coverage and just pointed to the receiver to run a slant. 10 seconds later they have a TD on a slant. I think it was a game winner. It was like grade school kids playing in the park.

DBR96A
09-25-2012, 08:30 PM
Of course that effects things. I listen to local NYC & Philly sports talk and everyone of them have had him in the top 5 QB's for the last 5 years or so. Most national guys do also.

Do you remember the game against the Jags? I think it was a Monday night game the Jags were on about the 15 or so and the Steelers CB was playing 10 yards off the receiver. Mark Brunnell came up to the line, saw the coverage and just pointed to the receiver to run a slant. 10 seconds later they have a TD on a slant. I think it was a game winner. It was like grade school kids playing in the park.

Well right now he's top-two at worst.

Big T
09-26-2012, 08:25 AM
Even though he was using Bruce Arians’ language in a no-huddle drive, Steelers quarterback Ben Roethlisberger said there’s no rift between him and new offensive coordinator Todd Haley.

Roethlisberger used signals to his receivers that were standard when Arians was offensive coordinator, and have since been added to Haley’s playbook. But he didn’t want to make it sound as if he preferred his old play-callers ways.

“I really didn’t think it would get blown up as much as it did, and I know some people are saying that I’ve been resistant to Todd,” Roethlisberger said, via Alan Robinson of the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review. “But it’s one of those things that we went to Todd, and it’s in the playbook now. It was simply a signal that I used with our receivers on two different occasions. One was on the fourth-and-1, we got the ball to Mike [Wallace]. The other one was later on third down to Emmanuel [Sanders]. We converted both plays. It worked out.”

Roethlisberger can downplay it, and it’s obviously early. But it’s obviously also worth watching.

The quarterback also had what he called “one little incident” with Haley in the opener against Denver, from which he walked away.

Arians, now the Colts’ offensive coordinator, still has a close relationship with his old quarterback. Roethlisberger said they “talk every week.”

Until he and Haley create results on the field, people in Pittsburgh are going to wonder if their relationship will ever reach that same level.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/09/26/1323845/

Real Deal Steel
09-26-2012, 12:01 PM
Well said.