PDA

View Full Version : What the heck happened to Lawrence Timmons?

steelchamp204
09-24-2012, 12:37 AM
The guy has been a no show except for that huge hit he put on Sanchez last week, but anything else. it seems we are only playing with 3 linebackers. Sorry for the rant.

BlitzburghRockCity
09-24-2012, 07:35 AM
We were all ranting last night. Probably still will be today. Timmons is just like the rest of this defense right now. They aren't as good as they used to be mainly in that they can't close out games.

Both he and Foote had problems getting off blocks all day in Oakland.

- From BRC's Bionic of Awesomeness

Goodfrom55
09-24-2012, 08:52 AM
Timmons looks slow. Defense in general stinks so far, and it's not just because Harrison and Troy are out.

FlatsSteeler
09-24-2012, 08:56 AM
POOR Defense Scheme......DLB must go.....Steelers need to go to a Base 4-3 - 4-2-5 with the talent we now have and the way the new NFL is played.....

LatrobePA
09-24-2012, 08:56 AM
What happened to Woodley? Timmons IMO has been bad but wood just doesn't offer anything at times.

FlatsSteeler
09-24-2012, 08:58 AM
What happened to Woodley? Timmons IMO has been bad but wood just doesn't offer anything at times.
I agree Woodley has been as non-existent as anybody this Season but I blame it on the Coaching and the Scheme DLB uses....

Big T
09-24-2012, 09:08 AM
I don't understand the hate on Woodley at all... When the man was allowed to rush he was getting some serious pressure. Not to mention he had a couple very nice tackles for loss in the run game. Just because he doesnt get 3 sacks doesn't mean be isnt playing well... Seriously, watch that game again... There were probably 5-6 instances where Woodley was half a step from sacking Palmer.

LatrobePA
09-24-2012, 09:14 AM
I don't understand the hate on Woodley at all... When the man was allowed to rush he was getting some serious pressure. Not to mention he had a couple very nice tackles for loss in the run game. Just because he doesnt get 3 sacks doesn't mean be isnt playing well... Seriously, watch that game again... There were probably 5-6 instances where Woodley was half a step from sacking Palmer.

I'm not hating on wood personally but what the hell are they doing with him? We had NO pass rush at all and played 10-12 yards off just begging to be picked apart! Honestly as a fan it gets old, I was screaming at the tv to press!

FlatsSteeler
09-24-2012, 09:14 AM

Ya and I was 3 numbers off from winning the Lottery Saturday night.....I watched the game again and still saw the same things......The Defense Stunk......I am not blaming Woodley but he has basically been non-existent all season as well as Timmons......I paid close attention to Timmons and Foote yesterday the way they were Schemed they were both lost in limbo the entire 2nd half.....FACT Raiders adjusted at halftime......Steelers(DLB) same old stuff.....D gets beat again in the 4th QTR.......this has been a recuring theme the past 3 seasons......

Real Deal Steel
09-24-2012, 09:20 AM
Dick must go. There's no two ways about it. He's a dinosaur.

LatrobePA
09-24-2012, 09:22 AM
Foote is the best player on defense right now and that is sad!

Real Deal Steel
09-24-2012, 09:34 AM
Old and slow. With no pass rush.

SnakeEyes43
09-24-2012, 10:21 AM
The schemes on D are old, ineffective, and predictable. If DL can't adapt, then he shouldn't be in the league. I love the guy, but maybe his time is up.

And I don't know what is up with Timmons, but we put a lot of money into the guy...

connecticutsteel
09-24-2012, 10:27 AM
POOR Defense Scheme......DLB must go.....Steelers need to go to a Base 4-3 - 4-2-5 with the talent we now have and the way the new NFL is played.....
base 4-3 that's why all the top defenses are 3-4

Stairwayto7
09-24-2012, 10:52 AM

I agree, and I never thought I would say that! His defense is never the right one.

Stairwayto7
09-24-2012, 10:54 AM
We need Foote out! He has had some descent plays but lacks speed and everyone is throwing crossing routes across the middle. if slyvester was ever healthy he would bring more speed.

FlatsSteeler
09-24-2012, 11:01 AM
base 4-3 that's why all the top defenses are 3-4

The way DLB schemes the 3-4 it is to stop the Run(we can't even do that now) the top defenses using the 3-4 play press coverage and rush4 or 5 guys.....Wow we have done that once or twice recently with great success.....then revert right back to the old 3-4 zone coverage thus teams adjust and pick us apart.....

steelchamp204
09-24-2012, 11:27 AM
We need Foote out! He has had some descent plays but lacks speed and everyone is throwing crossing routes across the middle. if slyvester was ever healthy he would bring more speed.

Foote has been our most consistant LB, what are you talking about?!?!?!?!?!

Goodfrom55
09-24-2012, 01:17 PM
I agree Woodley has been as non-existent as anybody this Season but I blame it on the Coaching and the Scheme DLB uses....

Woody is out in coverage more than he is up the fiels on a pass rush. No issues with him at all. Back to Timmons, he is taking poor angles and was outrun by Payton Manning. to me, he looks out of shape and slow.

Goodfrom55
09-24-2012, 01:20 PM
The blitzes, IMO, are telegraphed way too early. Zone blitz schemes are good, but if the linemen zone block, they'll just pick up wohever comes to them. They are taught not to chase guys around on a loop; They have to overload blitz at some point, for example sending 4 defenders at linemen plus a back.

Again, trying not to over react, but what we've seen from the defense so far is not acceptable.

BlitzburghRockCity
09-25-2012, 08:54 AM
The blitzes are not only being telegraphed way too early but they are the same blitzes we've always run and teams are just basically figuring them out.

Factor in Troy who's cheating up to the line and QB's are aware and then change the play and it makes it even harder. Then on top of that you have Timmons who's already 7 yds or so off the line and then he's dropping back 20 yds in coverage. A guy with that type of talent always dropping back and outside linebackers who can't there. It's a waterfall of failure right now.

teeceemadison
09-25-2012, 09:19 AM

he wasnt a dino last year when he played press coverage against marsha brady, and they defense had a great game....

K Train
09-25-2012, 10:52 AM
we are only playing with 3 LBs....timmons, woodley, and foote. Worilds doesnt count

MySteelerNation
09-25-2012, 11:17 AM

AMEN brother! 43 or 425 defensive scheme would be great right now, and we could make it work with the personnel we have... it would mean that we have to "hurt" some of the guys feelings and bench their asses (im talking to you Hampton, Keisel, Foote)

MySteelerNation
09-25-2012, 11:20 AM
he wasnt a dino last year when he played press coverage against marsha brady, and they defense had a great game....

He's been a dinosaur for almost 5 years now. The defense will show up, have 1 or 2 outstanding games, play mediocre against the Brownies and Bengals and we get 1st overall defense statistically. Its PATHETIC. This defense is not anywhere near what it used to be. Harrison and Troy cannot help this defense. IMO Troy coming back may be worse because he plays such a freestyle position, its going to expose our defensive secondary even more. A 110% healthy Polamalu in his prime would get away with playing like he does, but now he's lost a step and cannot have the same impact.

MySteelerNation
09-25-2012, 11:21 AM
The blitzes are not only being telegraphed way too early but they are the same blitzes we've always run and teams are just basically figuring them out.

Factor in Troy who's cheating up to the line and QB's are aware and then change the play and it makes it even harder. Then on top of that you have Timmons who's already 7 yds or so off the line and then he's dropping back 20 yds in coverage. A guy with that type of talent always dropping back and outside linebackers who can't there. It's a waterfall of failure right now.

Troy's antics are old and will not work anymore. A guy like Ed Reed (a pure ballhawk) is what we need from our safties. Troy's play puts a lot of pressure on the POOR DL and the POOR DB's... and now that the linebackers arent playing like they should, its turning into a nightmare.

K Train
09-25-2012, 11:53 AM
its laughable some people think a 43 is jsut a way to solve the defensive problems.

i think they need harrison and troy more than we all thought, everyone should stop being so dramatic...its better to struggle now (even though ben is dazzling the world) and fix problems as the season progresses rather than start hot and fall off at the end like they did last year

Big T
09-25-2012, 01:05 PM
its laughable some people think a 43 is jsut a way to solve the defensive problems.

i think they need harrison and troy more than we all thought, everyone should stop being so dramatic...its better to struggle now (even though ben is dazzling the world) and fix problems as the season progresses rather than start hot and fall off at the end like they did last year

This...

Blazedby92
09-25-2012, 01:22 PM
What I said in another thread, I'll leave my thoughts after a week or two of getting everyone back, we haven't had atleast two main starters every game and I offense is starting to get better so if the D starts clicking watch out

Goodfrom55
09-25-2012, 02:44 PM
Not a matter of Dick must go, but Dick must start adjusting his schemes. Players around the league will freely say how we are doing the same things in defense today we did 7 years ago.

Black@Gold Forever32
09-25-2012, 07:16 PM

But can this team rely on Troy or James?..........Both have been so injury prone and just getting older that I have some doubts about them.......

LatrobePA
09-25-2012, 07:19 PM
We're all clinging to hope that those two will help but I'm a little less optimistic. Troy just looks out of shape...

cbrunn
09-25-2012, 07:33 PM
I didn't read through all the pages ... but I def don't think Harrison or Troy are the answers ...

and about Timmons i think he gained to much weight which slowed him down ...