PDA

View Full Version : What exactly does Tomlin bring to the team?

NYCsteelersfan
09-23-2012, 11:12 PM
I see everyone wanting to lynch LeBeau, but wasn't Tomlin supposed to be a defensive head coach?

Roethlisberger was great before Tomlin and still is. The offensive line was sucking before Tomlin and still does. The running game was deteriorating before Tomlin and still is. The secondary sucked before Tomlin and still does. The defense overall was very good before Tomlin and now they suck. Special teams sucked before Tomlin and still does. The team overall played fairly organized before Tomlin and now they look sloppy and out of place a lot of the time and commit a large number of penalties.

What exactly has actually improved under Tomlin?

SteelerCountry58
09-23-2012, 11:17 PM
Mostly b.s. quotes like "Unleash hell" or his standard presser statement,"It is what it is".
Things have stayed stagnant under Tomlin,while Cowher's team has grown old and was
never improved upon in key areas.

Troyisabeast_43
09-23-2012, 11:18 PM
Not really that much at this point. I know that Tomlin has been to two Super Bowls and won 1 of them, but he has also missed the playoffs once and has had two early first round exits in the playoffs as well. Time will tell if Mike Tomlin is truly going to be able to lead this team to another Super Bowl victory down the road because the way things stand right now it doesnt look all that great...

Clevelandsux
09-23-2012, 11:29 PM
I don't know, but I would not want cowher back. Got really tired of billy ball. Took him 14 years to win a sb.

LevonKirkland99
09-23-2012, 11:29 PM
The sunglasses

NYCsteelersfan
09-23-2012, 11:38 PM
I don't know, but I would not want cowher back. Got really tired of billy ball. Took him 14 years to win a sb.

Took him 13 years to get a good quarterback on the team. I guess he can be faulted for that. Although he was too busy filling out other positions as a result of working for a front office that allowed players to leave as if there was a tree that grew great players planted in the back of Three Rivers Stadium.

LatrobePA
09-23-2012, 11:48 PM
It was a bad loss yes.. I personally think we played too soft on defense. Tomlin should of seen this being the HC and made changes. I personally think he's a shitass HC.

steelersbabex25
09-24-2012, 12:14 AM
:banging: Tomlin brought this team to 2 superbowls in his first 4 years. Teams can have bad days or even bad seasons under good head coaches. Not everything is his fault.

NYCsteelersfan
09-24-2012, 12:18 AM
:banging: Tomlin brought this team to 2 superbowls in his first 4 years. Teams can have bad days or even bad seasons under good head coaches. Not everything is his fault.

That was Cowher's team. A giraffe could've coached that team. He was only able to put up 13 offensive points on the team that was 28th in the league in points allowed. If it wasn't for a heroic last-minute drive by the star quarterback he inherited and an amazing catch by a receiver he inherited, then he would have two Superbowl appearances and two losses with one of the best quarterbacks in the league.

Big T
09-24-2012, 12:18 AM

Nope. We loss to a team we should've beat. That one game obviously trumps the last 5 years of, mostly, success. Tomlin could coach this team for another 20 years and after a bad loss fans would still say its Cowher's team.

steelerzion
09-24-2012, 12:20 AM
He acknowledges and accepts the loss!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NYCsteelersfan
09-24-2012, 12:29 AM
Nope. We loss to a team we should've beat. That one game obviously trumps the last 5 years of, mostly, success. Tomlin could coach this team for another 20 years and after a bad loss fans would still say its Cowher's team.

Those first round losses to Jacksonville and Tebow were very successful. So was that year we didn't make the playoffs. And this team will definitely belong to Tomlin in only five years or so when Roethlisberger and the rest of Cowher's draft picks are long gone. I would really enjoy watching Tomlin coach this team without Roethlisberger. We would have a top 5 pick for at least five straight years.

steelersbabex25
09-24-2012, 12:34 AM
Those first round losses to Jacksonville and Tebow were very successful. So was that year we didn't make the playoffs. And this team will definitely belong to Tomlin in only five years or so when Roethlisberger and the rest of Cowher's draft picks are long gone. I would really enjoy watching Tomlin coach this team without Roethlisberger. We would have a top 5 pick for at least five straight years.

Hahahahaha you're silly. I can't even respond it's too silly.

steelersbabex25
09-24-2012, 12:35 AM
Ok, now that I've gotten all the laughs out. I do recall a 3 year period when Bill Cowher didn't coach a playoff team. Were you saying that Cowher didn't bring anything to the team then? Cause you're saying it about Tomlin after one game. Seems a little hasty to me.

For the record, Chuck Noll had some pretty terrible seasons too.

NYCsteelersfan
09-24-2012, 01:14 AM
Ok, now that I've gotten all the laughs out. I do recall a 3 year period when Bill Cowher didn't coach a playoff team. Were you saying that Cowher didn't bring anything to the team then? Cause you're saying it about Tomlin after one game. Seems a little hasty to me.

For the record, Chuck Noll had some pretty terrible seasons too.

Oh yeah, I recall those years. Do you happen to recall who his quarterbacks were and what their career QB ratings were?

For the record, I've thought Tomlin has been a disaster since day one, not just because of this loss. My post history would attest to that fact.

steelchamp204
09-24-2012, 01:35 AM
Whtat we are seeing now is

Tomlins draft picks not panning out
1. Ziggy Hood
2. Lawrence I got my big contract Timmons
3. Sylvester
4. Worilds

We needed these guys to step up but it seems like it is not possible, atleast up until this point.

The other issue, not giving the rookie's reps. Now how can Taamu be any worse than hampton is right now? Im not saying he will tear all the opposing offenses lines apart, but give him about 5-7 snaps a game. Lets face it, Troy and Harrison are not getting any younger at all, they are aging quickly, well atleast troy seems to be.

The deer in the headlights look on the sideline. I saw today Tomlin looking at Charlie Batch's wristband with the plays on it. Really Tomlin? You shouldnt need to look at that for help.

I will say Tomlin has done a decent job trying to atleast make the front 5 better for Ben, as of now we havent had much luck keeping the guys healthy. My question is, how comes our line has not made any sort of improvement over the past 5 years? Why isnt some of the blame being put on Butler? He was suppose to be a guru of linemen, but it seems that he is not doing the job here.

It seems Tomlin can draft guys for the offense, not so much defense.

mcfly06
09-24-2012, 01:48 AM

Your right! Relax people were 1-2 the season is still young, if harrison and troy was in i think we win the game

mcfly06
09-24-2012, 01:56 AM

1. Ziggy Hood
3. Sylvester
4. Worilds

We needed these guys to step up but it seems like it is not possible, atleast up until this point.

The other issue, not giving the rookie's reps. Now how can Taamu be any worse than hampton is right now? Im not saying he will tear all the opposing offenses lines apart, but give him about 5-7 snaps a game. Lets face it, Troy and Harrison are not getting any younger at all, they are aging quickly, well atleast troy seems to be.

The deer in the headlights look on the sideline. I saw today Tomlin looking at Charlie Batch's wristband with the plays on it. Really Tomlin? You shouldnt need to look at that for help.

I will say Tomlin has done a decent job trying to atleast make the front 5 better for Ben, as of now we havent had much luck keeping the guys healthy. My question is, how comes our line has not made any sort of improvement over the past 5 years? Why isnt some of the blame being put on Butler? He was suppose to be a guru of linemen, but it seems that he is not doing the job here.

It seems Tomlin can draft guys for the offense, not so much defense.

Last time I checked Tomlin wasn't the only guy drafting, all the other coaches have a say and so does Kevin Colbert. As for him looking at Batch's wristband who knows what he was doing, im sure he wasnt looking at it to call a play. Plus dosent Haley call the plays for the O. The way some of ya are acting, is like were only gonna win 1 game. Relax it's the steelers, yes im mad, pissed off i was like yelling like all of you and it sucks right now. Thinking of stuff in our head like if we would of done this or that, or who to blame. But come on WERE NOT CLEVELAND FANS!!, no need to trash the team or say tomlin is no good. Don't need to start acting like Browns fans, i get were not use to losing like this and it sucks when we do, But we got this and yinz know we do!!

DBR96A
09-24-2012, 02:09 AM
Your right! Relax people were 1-2 the season is still young, if harrison and troy was in i think we win the game

But we shouldn't have to depend on James Harrison and/or Troy Polamalu to be healthy in order for the defense to look any good.

steelchamp204
09-24-2012, 02:40 AM
Last time I checked Tomlin wasn't the only guy drafting, all the other coaches have a say and so does Kevin Colbert. As for him looking at Batch's wristband who knows what he was doing, im sure he wasnt looking at it to call a play. Plus dosent Haley call the plays for the O. The way some of ya are acting, is like were only gonna win 1 game. Relax it's the steelers, yes im mad, pissed off i was like yelling like all of you and it sucks right now. Thinking of stuff in our head like if we would of done this or that, or who to blame. But come on WERE NOT CLEVELAND FANS!!, no need to trash the team or say tomlin is no good. Don't need to start acting like Browns fans, i get were not use to losing like this and it sucks when we do, But we got this and yinz know we do!!

We are acting like this because we know this team is not playing to the capability as it should. The Steelers are held to 10x's the standard than of the Browns. Last time I checked also, Tomlin gets all the credit, he should get all the **** to. Just my 2 cents. Like I said, he can draft good offensive players, but his defensive draft picks have not been impressive lately. I have never really been a Tomlin fan but I do support him being that he is the coach of the Steelers, I have seen to much of Cowher and just wish we could have a firey guy on the sideline. I know it wont happen but still. His time management is horrid in the last two minutes of the game, not saying the Oakland game but from years past. DL and him got outcoached by a first year HC in Oakland and his staff, this is a game we should have won. Yes you can say, well any given team can win on any sunday, but this should have been a win. With baltimore looking good and Cinci making strides with imporvement, this is not a division where we can go 10-6 and win it. I am worried, not saying this is it for the season. We have to improve drastically. Also if the NFL had a stat for defense, the steelers would lead in this category.

After the offense scores, the opposing teams next drive goes right down the field and get points. Happens everytime with us, 2 out of 3 games so far. Not a good thing. The defense should be fired up after the offense scores to maybe force a punt the next opponet drive, not give up 3 or 7 points. Its called taking the monetum. For some reason it seems that we get laxed, that falls on the players and the coaching staff, DL Tomlin included.

NeilPatrickBanana
09-24-2012, 02:59 AM
my only complaint is that he doesn't have the balls to fire a hall of famer

papabaier
09-24-2012, 08:45 AM

If we are relying on these two to save our defense, we are in trouble! Shows our utter lack of depth and **** poor drafts. Our secondary can"t cover a twin bed with a king sheet, no pass rush, no adjustments, bas game plans. I never have liked Tomlin, but I did like the go for the 4th and 1 late in the game. Nobody fears Steelers dee anymore. They can't bring it.

papabaier
09-24-2012, 08:49 AM
Really disturbing trend also over the past couple years how our dee, even with Troy and Harrison in, that Steelers keep giving up 4th qrtr leads...

steelersbabex25
09-24-2012, 09:22 AM

Would you want to walk up to Dick LeBeau and tell him you're firing him? I wouldn't..

cmerrifield
09-24-2012, 09:32 AM
Would you want to walk up to Dick LeBeau and tell him you're firing him? I wouldn't..

Yep. No problem. I would be like, "you are an amazing football mind, you brought so many things to the game, and gave us so many good seasons. Unfortunately, you no longer able to keep competitive, so we have to let you go."

sent from my Galaxy SIII using tapatalk 2

FlatsSteeler
09-24-2012, 09:53 AM
This was the Raiders we are talking about.....We held them to almost nothing the 1st half.....Raiders adjust(like most good Coaches)at half time....Steelers don't....COACHING......Again I will say Tomlin is a horrible Game Day Coach and DLBs ego is bigger than his ability......Sure the talent isn't as great as it once was but you can also blame DLB for that as he continued to play his tired, old, fat vets the past few seasons instead of bringing in his young players early and often, he has had Hood for 3 seasons and Heywood for 2 and yet they are just now getting playing time if they are that bad a good coach would have known it by now.....Our LB's are a real problem now they seem to be regressing, I paid close attention to Timmons and Foote yesterday both seemed in limbo most plays especially Foote......The players on this team are now much more suited to be playing a 4-3 base D but the DLB ego won't let that happen and Tomlin is not strong enough to demand the change, I believe they still have the talent but some injuries and egos don't let them use it.......... As somebody else said when the Raiders got the ball at the end I had exactly ZERO confidence in the "D" stopping them Again I will say "This is now a Tomlin Team" the results speak for them self.....

Big T
09-24-2012, 10:26 AM

1. Ziggy Hood
3. Sylvester
4. Worilds

Really? Ok let's point out a FIFTH round pick who has ONLY been a special teams demon and Timmons who had one subpar season since he asked to switch from the middle to outside and back more times than Ben has been sacked in his career. Pointing out those two out as misses baffles me. And while you are right about Hood and Worilds, anyone who knew anything about these two when they were drafted told you all this would happen. I absolutely hated both picks. I still consider Hood an experiment that failed, since he's playing out of position and scheme and Worilds was drafted on potential alone. Worilds has shown the ability to do exactly what he did in college... Great first step, has no idea how to get to the QB.

My biggest beef is how Colbert gets praised for being a draft genius when we hit on a pick, but if he turns out to be a bust, Tomlin can't draft...

Real Deal Steel
09-24-2012, 10:27 AM
Mike Tomlin must prove he really is the coach of this team. By firing Lebeau and bringing some 20th century football to this organization by using a little free agency, cleaning out these old, slow relics on defense.

That was the worse loss we've had in a long time IMO. It was embarrassing and pathetic.

I see a coach and a defensive coordinator who both don't know how to make adjustments during a game. They have no plan B when plan A isn't working. Just pathetic.

They place no premium on adding real talent at the cornerback position, thinking a old dinosaur's (Lebeau) schemes are always going to cover for the lack of talent in the secondary.

LatrobePA
09-24-2012, 11:42 AM
At some point someone needs to question Tomlin as to why or how year after year his players are hurt. Is this a training issue or a lack of practice participation for the vets giving by Tomlin?

The Lakelander
09-24-2012, 12:24 PM

Well ... eh hum ... BA is gone ... :blush:

steelchamp204
09-24-2012, 12:24 PM
Really? Ok let's point out a FIFTH round pick who has ONLY been a special teams demon and Timmons who had one subpar season since he asked to switch from the middle to outside and back more times than Ben has been sacked in his career. Pointing out those two out as misses baffles me. And while you are right about Hood and Worilds, anyone who knew anything about these two when they were drafted told you all this would happen. I absolutely hated both picks. I still consider Hood an experiment that failed, since he's playing out of position and scheme and Worilds was drafted on potential alone. Worilds has shown the ability to do exactly what he did in college... Great first step, has no idea how to get to the QB.

My biggest beef is how Colbert gets praised for being a draft genius when we hit on a pick, but if he turns out to be a bust, Tomlin can't draft...

We all looked at Sly being the replacement for Farrior when he went out the door, from the way it looked this season if Spence could have stayed healthy is that he probably would have gotten more playing time than Sly. Just because Timmons has had 2 good seasons in 09-10 doesnt mean that he doesnt deserve to get some ****. You can blame him switching to OLB last season but alot of us dont care. He looks slow for still being "young".

Also, I have NEVER praised Colbert for picking a gem in the draft. I gave Tomlin credit in the post I put above for getting the offensive guys that we have gotten. I just think Tomlin and Colbert have been struggling getting defensive guys. I really dont want the Steelers to be the NO Saints of years past with all offense and lack of defense where we need to score 30+ a game is all. Guys need to start stepping up.

steelersbabex25
09-24-2012, 12:30 PM
At some point someone needs to question Tomlin as to why or how year after year his players are hurt. Is this a training issue or a lack of practice participation for the vets giving by Tomlin?

Really? We're blaming Tomlin for players getting hurt now? How about it's football and injuries happen.

Seems like everyone is just looking for someone to blame, here...

The Lakelander
09-24-2012, 12:38 PM
I don't lose reality on the fact that the Steelers just made their second trip to the west coast (Rockies) in three weeks ... We almost never play good out there (verify it if you must!) ...

LeBeau's defense needs one clear change ... Casey Hampton to the bench ... McClendon outplayed Hamp (in camp due to Hamp's injury) up to Hamp being named the starter ... McClendon may not be an elite NT, but he's got far greater intensity and motor than Hamp has ...

LatrobePA
09-24-2012, 12:38 PM
Really? We're blaming Tomlin for players getting hurt now? How about it's football and injuries happen.

Why not?? Troy along with others get veteran type days off then goes out and gets hurt, how can this not be his fault? If he can't hang in practice why in the hell is live action going to be different?

steelchamp204
09-24-2012, 12:44 PM

No, he probably emphansizing that if the Vet guys practice all week they can stay loose and in gameshape. Maybe having that 2 or 1 day off probably doesnt keep them as loose as they should be contributing to pulled muscles etc. He does have a point on that, but it's not Tomlins fault that these guys get hurt. It can contribute to them getting hurt "maybe" but I dont think thats the issue.

LatrobePA
09-24-2012, 12:48 PM
No, he probably emphansizing that if the Vet guys practice all week they can stay loose and in gameshape. Maybe having that 2 or 1 day off probably doesnt keep them as loose as they should be contributing to pulled muscles etc. He does have a point on that, but it's not Tomlins fault that these guys get hurt. It can contribute to them getting hurt "maybe" but I dont think thats the issue.

Thank you, I never blamed Tomlin for them getting hurt just simply made a suggestion.

CowherPower
09-24-2012, 12:52 PM
The fact that this team can't adjust shouldn't be a surprise. They've been a group that will make wholesale changes at halftime even if what they are doing is clearly not working. It's been that way since Cowher was here and nothing's changed. This "do what we do" mentality just irritates me to no end. The first half was working but you had to figure they were going to adjust so you put a plan in place just in case.

FlatsSteeler
09-24-2012, 01:28 PM
I do blame Tomlin for the injuries......his teams have had more injuries than any previous Steeler teams.....As Latrobe has said the Vets get way too much time off.....look at the players I have never...never seen so many FAT over the belt guts hanging out TP43 looks like he inhaled a innertube his head doesn't even fit in his helmet not that he is using it much anymore......The Head Coach is ultimately responsible for the conditioning of the team,,,,,,looks like a FAIL to Me.......

NYCsteelersfan
09-28-2012, 02:47 AM
Well ... eh hum ... BA is gone ... :blush:

Only because ownership stepped in, so not even that can be contributed to Tomlin.

NYCsteelersfan
09-28-2012, 02:48 AM

You still haven't named a single aspect of this football team that has improved under Tomlin. You just seem to blindly defend him.

jpele
09-28-2012, 10:58 AM
Do I smell fat Warren Sapp inthe house?

For the record like most fans I love when the Steelers win and rant about players and coaches when they lose.

So on that note Art II should fire them all except Todd he seems to be using the tools he has to the best of his ability.

LatrobePA
09-28-2012, 11:03 AM
Do I smell fat Warren Sapp inthe house?

Does it smell like 5 day old roadkill?

jpele
09-28-2012, 11:09 AM

I think thats what it smells like or it could be the road kill skunk outside

steelchamp204
09-28-2012, 01:15 PM

No that smells like bankrupcy. Think I spelled it wrong because Ive never been there lol

muncher
09-28-2012, 05:11 PM

he doesnt have that authority

muncher
09-28-2012, 05:17 PM
i dont really think you can blame tomlin. he was hired for one reason and was expected to do just a couple things: organize practices, stay out of the way and let the coordinators manage the game, and say the right things to the media. he has done that. the owner is getting exactly what he wanted.

BlitzburghRockCity
09-28-2012, 05:56 PM
Not really that much at this point. I know that Tomlin has been to two Super Bowls and won 1 of them, but he has also missed the playoffs once and has had two early first round exits in the playoffs as well. Time will tell if Mike Tomlin is truly going to be able to lead this team to another Super Bowl victory down the road because the way things stand right now it doesnt look all that great...

Interesting because many, myself included to a point, will look to that SB XLIII team and really say that was mainly Cowher's team. Much like Barry Switzer when he took over for Jimmy Johnson in Dallas.

Tomlin has been slowly building this team since he's been here and to his credit he's had many draft picks that have turned into super stars or at least high quality players; Woodley, Wallace, Brown, Pouncey, Timmons, Mendenhall, etc. Some that haven't turned out so well yet either because they just aren't as good as advertised or because they don't get the playing time to shine. Heyward and Hood are 2 examples of that; one because he doesn't get as much field time and another because he's just not the best player in our system.

Lebeau is an old school guy with an old school defensive philosophy that has been stellar throughout the years, but he doesn't have the talent right now to pull it off. Blame injuries, poor execution or both but the rise in stardom of the offense vs the defense right now is very clear.

BubbyBlister
09-28-2012, 06:15 PM
From the looks of Tomlin lately I bet he brings a lot of Krispy Kreme donuts to the table.

ice cream glove
05-04-2013, 10:39 PM
I see everyone wanting to lynch LeBeau, but wasn't Tomlin supposed to be a defensive head coach?

Roethlisberger was great before Tomlin and still is. The offensive line was sucking before Tomlin and still does. The running game was deteriorating before Tomlin and still is. The secondary sucked before Tomlin and still does. The defense overall was very good before Tomlin and now they suck. Special teams sucked before Tomlin and still does. The team overall played fairly organized before Tomlin and now they look sloppy and out of place a lot of the time and commit a large number of penalties.

More snappy one-liners?

Nolrog
05-04-2013, 11:10 PM
More snappy one-liners?

Holy Thread Bump Batman.

ice cream glove
05-05-2013, 06:07 PM
i dont really think you can blame tomlin. he was hired for one reason and was expected to do just a couple things: organize practices, stay out of the way and let the coordinators manage the game, and say the right things to the media. he has done that. the owner is getting exactly what he wanted.

AH, I think he is expected to do a little more than that, like offer leadership and keep discipline and attitudes in line. He kind of failed on that front last year: dumb penalties, dumb turn overs, lack of focus, lack of effort, etc.