PDA

View Full Version : so we go on 4th down, then a few plays later, we punt on 4th???

teeceemadison
09-23-2012, 09:48 PM
so we take a gutsy gamble on 4th, it pays off with a first down deep in our own territory...and with ben passing all over the raiders all day, on the next 4th and 9, we punt????

why not go again??? we knew the defense was crap regardless..

if we turn it over there, if they score, there is still time on the clock when we get the ball back.....

BlitzburghRockCity
09-23-2012, 09:50 PM
If there was ever a play that said, "Mike Tomlin has no faith in his defense", it was that 4th down gamble. You never go for it in that instance but he knew the defense would fail and they ultimately did.

4th and 9, I'd be hard pressed to say go for it there..4th and 1 is one thing, 4th and 9 is different but I see your point.

SteelerCountry58
09-23-2012, 09:53 PM
Yeah,I might have gambled on that too. Giving the ball back to them with not much time left
and Janikowski usually money from around 50 or so,I knew we were in deep **** right there.

Farrior Fan
09-23-2012, 09:57 PM
I still think the 4th and 1 call was stupid. We couldn't run over a curb while driving a Hummer. Somehow we actually gained a few yards. You HAVE to have punt and show faith in the D. I know it is hard when they are playing like crap, but eventually we have to stop someone. Otherwise what are we going to do? Drop the punter from the roster?

teeceemadison
09-23-2012, 10:03 PM
I still think the 4th and 1 call was stupid. We couldn't run over a curb while driving a Hummer. Somehow we actually gained a few yards. You HAVE to have punt and show faith in the D. I know it is hard when they are playing like crap, but eventually we have to stop someone. Otherwise what are we going to do? Drop the punter from the roster?

ben had his way thru the air with the raiders...could have tossed for nine yards or better, if you are going to take risk deeper in your territory and run for a first...then you can put the ball in the hand of your best offensive player who is playing lights out in the game....and live or die on that.......

BubbyBlister
09-23-2012, 10:25 PM
Lot easier getting a yard out of proven Redman when it comes to it then trying to get 9 yards. Agree with both calls and glad of the balls to go for it in 4-1 in our own territory but way to know your limitations on 4-9. Redman isn't the bomb but he is almost a given in short yardage when you need a first and there lies your answer. That was a Bill Belichick call and at least shows we have some confidence in our offense.

Clevelandsux
09-23-2012, 10:49 PM
steelers could not ice this game because of little ground game.

Black@Gold Forever32
09-23-2012, 10:51 PM
steelers could not ice this game because of little ground game.

or the defense blowing a 10 point lead and not coming up with a crucial stop all game.......

BubbyBlister
09-23-2012, 10:56 PM
steelers could not ice this game because of little ground game. Like Hailey's passing offense so far and think it will be very good but the draws are killing the running game. They need to make there mind up if they really want a running game then this won't work. As for me who cares about the run as long as your putting up points and to me that's what it's all about.

Clevelandsux
09-23-2012, 10:56 PM
We all agree the defense sucked, but had we been able to run we would have kept them off the field.

steelersbabex25
09-23-2012, 11:10 PM
Yeah..one was a fourth and one and one was a fourth and nine. Completely different scenarios.

Black@Gold Forever32
09-23-2012, 11:29 PM
But to be honest with that trash defense I wouldn't mind see the offense going for it on 4th and 9.....I knew when the Steelers punted the D wasn't going to stop the Raiders offense......

Stairwayto7
09-24-2012, 10:45 AM
Amen to that

Stairwayto7
09-24-2012, 10:46 AM
If there was ever a play that said, "Mike Tomlin has no faith in his defense", it was that 4th down gamble. You never go for it in that instance but he knew the defense would fail and they ultimately did.

4th and 9, I'd be hard pressed to say go for it there..4th and 1 is one thing, 4th and 9 is different but I see your point.
Amen to that!