PDA

View Full Version : Is anyone actually surprised by this?

steelersbabex25
09-23-2012, 08:23 PM
Okay, it was the Raiders. It was an ugly, embarrassing, ridiculous loss to a terrible team. But this is (unfortunately) what the Steelers do best. Play down to terrible teams. They've done it for as long as I can remember, which, granted, isn't a very long time in the grand scheme of things, but you get the picture. This trend for the Steelers probably won't be very good for us this season as we play a lot of ****** teams. But really, was anyone surprised that we played terribly today?

SuperSteelers
09-23-2012, 08:25 PM
Not suprised at all. Check back on some of my post.

Ibleedblk&gld
09-23-2012, 08:26 PM
considering Ben had a monster game, yes, I'm surprised...our Defense, stupid penalties, and turnovers is what hurt us most today...Our offense was damn near flawless with the exception of the Dwyer fumble and stupid penalties

SnakeEyes43
09-23-2012, 08:28 PM
Look back, some of us have been calling this all week. We all knew it was a trap game, we were just secretly hoping the Steelers would quit this ridiculous "playing the competitions level" BS. Guess what, they haven't.

Black@Gold Forever32
09-23-2012, 08:34 PM
The Steelers were up by 10 in this game at one point....Its all on that old man and his sorry defense....sorry but it is....time for Dick to retire.....

Real Deal Steel
09-23-2012, 08:36 PM
No..here's the truth

They had no running game to help them sustain drives in the second half. We had the lead for most of the second half. If we had a running game of some kind, any kind, we could have picked up a couple of those first downs we needed. We you have a lead, you lean on your running game to help you keep the ball. That's what the Texans do all the time.

And Dick Lebeau needs to think about giving it up. Seriously. This was an awful, awful loss.

Speeed
09-23-2012, 08:37 PM
Let's all chill. Our D is way too soft, we all know that. It could be an execution problem, not a scheme problem. However, I agree, there does need to be some adjustment. I am convinced that Raiders performance was an anomaly. Minus the fumble, we win. That was a fluke.

The Steelers were up by 10 in this game at one point....Its all on that old man and his sorry defense....sorry but it is....time for Dick to retire.....

Real Deal Steel
09-23-2012, 08:37 PM

All of a sudden, Carson Palmer is a freaking superstar in he second half? Where was the pass rush in the second half??

Jakey
09-23-2012, 08:38 PM
Not surprised at all. Not only is the defence lacking abit more talent than it usually has, it seems to be lacking some cohesion...the offence works as a unit, every player doing their part (bar the RB's), but the D' just looks like 11 dudes running around independently, there is no gel, no focus. I dont know if this is a talent problem or just a scheme problem? Considering i think most of the D are very good players, it seems to me like a scheme problem. I've never been one to bash LeBeau before, but it seems to me like he isnt getting the best out of the talent he has...Wood, McLendon, Heyward, Timmons, Cortez and a few more are primed to succeed, they just arent being used in the correct way...its ****ing frustrating!

Black@Gold Forever32
09-23-2012, 08:44 PM
All of a sudden, Carson Palmer is a freaking superstar in he second half? Where was the pass rush in the second half??

I'm so glad Timmons received that contract extension...Last year the excuse for him was well he was being moved from OLB to ILB but this year he is in his normal ILB position and Timmons hasn't done anything besides ring Dirty Sanchez's bell......Timmons is really average at best........I love Woodley but really he isn't earning his pay check right now either but at least he does have a couple sacks.....The DL is average at best.....Unless James Harrison can stay healthy and find the fountain of youth this defense won't have any consistent pass rush all season......

Troyisabeast_43
09-23-2012, 08:46 PM
Mike Tomlin continually says the samething time after time when the Steelers lose pretty much just like he did tonight. Tomlin is the head man of this football team and he has to take responsibility for the penalties and the lack of discipline and everything that comes along with that. Tomlin will be tested this season early on in the year to right this ship and get things corrected in a hurry. Two out of the last three seasons there have been no playoffs and a first round exit in the playoffs. Tomlin has to make sure right now that neither of those things is on it's way to happening this season. This early bye week as much as I hate it and a lot of other people hate it might be coming at the right time after this loss and the defensive problems and the injuries to Harrison and Troy. The Steelers need them back on Defense desperately...

Zachintosh66
09-23-2012, 08:47 PM

Once again... Steelers didnt make gametime adjustments. I thought we got over that when BA left. But were doing it on defense more often now too.

SuperSteelers
09-23-2012, 08:48 PM
Let's all chill. Our D is way too soft, we all know that. It could be an execution problem, not a scheme problem. However, I agree, there does need to be some adjustment. I am convinced that Raiders performance was an anomaly. Minus the fumble, we win. That was a fluke.

You can't execute the scheme if you don't have the right athletic players in the right positions. I can go down the list of players on the defense that are close to being over the hill, over the hill, or shouldn't even be on the first string playing but I just don't have the energy.

Zachintosh66
09-23-2012, 08:51 PM
I'm so glad Timmons received that contract extension...Last year the excuse for him was well he was being moved from OLB to ILB but this year he is in his normal ILB position and Timmons hasn't done anything besides ring Dirty Sanchez's bell......Timmons is really average at best........I love Woodley but really he isn't earning his pay check right now either but at least he does have a couple sacks.....The DL is average at best.....Unless James Harrison can stay healthy and find the fountain of youth this defense won't have any consistent pass rush all season......

i respectfully disagree... Its hard for Timmons to do what he does best when the DL isnt taking up space/blockers. Timmons would be more effective if Ziggy and Hampton werent laying on their backs every other play...

RIVERS OF STEEL
09-23-2012, 08:52 PM
Hey the ravens gettin it handed to them.

Black@Gold Forever32
09-23-2012, 08:54 PM
i respectfully disagree... Its hard for Timmons to do what he does best when the DL isnt taking up space/blockers. Timmons would be more effective if Ziggy and Hampton werent laying on their backs every other play...

Has Timmons done anything in coverage? I have seen whiff on some sacks this year.........Just saying for a player being paid the money he is getting paid he better make some plays from time to time....He hasn't so yea I agree the Steelers DL is a joke and this current DL is the worst Steelers DL probably going back to Noll's last years........But still some of the blame is warranted on players like Timmons or Woodley.......

Farrior Fan
09-23-2012, 08:55 PM
Yes, I am shocked. We played pretty well in the first half but let them hang around. In the 2nd half the TO by AB seemed to let all the air out of Steeler Nation. We never got it back and the Raiders played like the better team. I expect a MUCH better performance vs the Eagles coming out of a bye week. If we lose then I'm afraid we are in for a loooooong season. :(

NeilPatrickBanana
09-23-2012, 08:58 PM
Okay, it was the Raiders. It was an ugly, embarrassing, ridiculous loss to a terrible team. But this is (unfortunately) what the Steelers do best. Play down to terrible teams. They've done it for as long as I can remember, which, granted, isn't a very long time in the grand scheme of things, but you get the picture. This trend for the Steelers probably won't be very good for us this season as we play a lot of ****** teams. But really, was anyone surprised that we played terribly today?

not surprised

despite the turnovers and mistakes... Dick Lebeau has proven beyond the shadow of a doubt, that he knows how to lose a football game on late drives in the 4th quarter/overtime

the minute the raiders fielded the late 4th quarter punt cleanly, the game was effectively over.

any honest fan, knew it

elephantman
09-23-2012, 09:29 PM
a little like a 2009 feel to this one..Ben airing it out with D giving up to Bad QB's

SteelerCountry58
09-23-2012, 09:41 PM
Too many penalties,real bad fumble by Brown,D playing like a AARP squad with no
pressure and cover abilties,O looked pretty solid overall passing wise,running laughable.
Ruined a great day by Big Ben. Should have won this,these games are tough to swallow.
I could go on and on but.... it's over,rest up,get healthier and kick some *** after the bye.:crossfingers::banging:

Phenomenal TJ
09-23-2012, 09:48 PM
I'm surprised we gave up a 10 point lead in the fourth quarter.

CowherPower
09-24-2012, 11:53 AM

I think, or hope, that I can see your sarcasm in that one. This team lives to collapse in the 4th quarter. Last year I had to keep some antacid on hand every week, this year I'll keep bottles of it around.

papabaier
09-24-2012, 11:58 AM

How are you surprised?? This has been the norm for the last two years with blown 4th qrtr leads - already the second one this year. Steeler secondary just plain sucks - can't cover a twin bed with a king sheet.

FlatsSteeler
09-24-2012, 12:19 PM
How are you surprised?? This has been the norm for the last two years with blown 4th qrtr leads - already the second one this year. Steeler secondary just plain sucks - can't cover a twin bed with a king sheet.

It isn't the players....You can't sin in Zone Coverage without a Rush......even a team like the Raiders and Palmer will pick you apart......DLBsDefensive scheming is just old and outdated he won't change due to his ego....his scheme was built to stop the run.....Steelers can't do that anymore.....

ChucktownSteeler
09-24-2012, 12:42 PM
It once was the exception, sadly it is becoming the rule. This must be how it feels to be a Browns fan.

Seriously, we have a down year every decade or so and this might be it. Last time it yielded Ben in the draft. We need to cut Hampton, Kiesel, Silverback, Foote, and perhaps Troy at season's end and draft high and well and dabble in F.A. If keeping any of the aforementioned hinders us from inking Wallace long term we deserve whatever we get.

C-town