PDA

View Full Version : Raiders have serious secondary problems; opportunity for Ben to have a big day

BlitzburghRockCity
09-19-2012, 10:11 AM
The Raiders have had injury issues in their secondary and now after that ugly Miami loss last weekend they are bringing in a bunch of new DB's this week to try and field some form of a secondary.

Advantage Steelers in the passing game, now let's see if Haley goes after them.

ALAMEDA -- The Raiders had four cornerbacks in for workouts Tuesday, in addition to defensive end Andre Carter and offensive tackle Patrick Brown, in the wake of their Week 2 loss in Miami.

Having lost starting cornerback Ron Bartell in the opener and likely losing Shawntae Spencer in Week 2 to a foot injury, cornerbacks Darius Butler, Cletis Gordon, Antwaun Molden and Kevin Thomas were evaluated by the personnel staff.

Carter, the former Cal star and onetime 49er, got a look during training camp also as the club monitors how he has progressed from a torn quadriceps which ended his season with the New England Patriots in 2011.

Butler, originally was a second-round draft pick by the New England Patriots in 2009.

Gordon has played for six different teams after starting with San Diego in 2006, while Molden and Thomas were last with New England and Indianapolis, respectively.

With Khalif Barnes sideline for an indefinite period with a groin injury, Brown was brought in for evaluation. He most recently was with the Minnesota Vikings but also spent time with Carolina and the New York Jets.

Oakland has an open spot on the 53-man roster after waiving Nick Guess, the long-snapper signed last week as an emergency snapper in case Jon Condo couldn't face Miami. - insidebayarea.com (http://www.insidebayarea.com/timesstar/ci_21575983/oakland-raiders-bring-four-cornerbacks-workouts-wake-ugly)

Raleigh Steel
09-19-2012, 10:14 AM
i think the entire offense can get rolling in this game. if we stay balanced i think the run game can improve much over the last 2 games, and #7 should be able to have an easy time slinging it around. i really feel a blowout coming....

SnakeEyes43
09-19-2012, 10:25 AM
This game will be a good indicator to see if Haley is willing to adjust his gameplan based around the opponent, something BA seemed to refuse to do. Ben and our WR corps, on paper, should have a heck of a day!

harpo
09-19-2012, 10:53 AM
This could be a "break out" game for Emanuel Sanders (6 catches 131 yds 2 TDs???). Or, am I asking for too much? :yellowthumb:

Real Deal Steel
09-19-2012, 10:57 AM
i think the entire offense can get rolling in this game. if we stay balanced i think the run game can improve much over the last 2 games, and #7 should be able to have an easy time slinging it around. i really feel a blowout coming....

This is what I see provided we go out and take care of buisness in the red zone. Get TD's, not field goals.

Goodfrom55
09-19-2012, 01:00 PM
This could be a "break out" game for Emanuel Sanders (6 catches 131 yds 2 TDs???). Or, am I asking for too much? :yellowthumb:

Sounds like someone has Sanders in a fantasy league. . .

cbrunn
09-19-2012, 01:18 PM
lol easy now guys ... Now i do hope ben for a good game and a blowout win ...

but lets not get to crazy I'm playing against Ben in my fantasy game this week ... lol so just a good game but how about LETS GET THIS RUN GAME GOING!!!!! lol

steelersbabex25
09-19-2012, 01:21 PM
For the sake of one of my fantasy teams, I hope Ben has a big day. For the sake of the actual game, doesn't really matter. Just play smart and don't do anything dumb and the Steelers should be able to walk away with the win.

K Train
09-19-2012, 01:25 PM
they really should be able to bully the raiders

harpo
09-19-2012, 01:29 PM
Sounds like someone has Sanders in a fantasy league. . .

Actually, I decided to take a break from ff this year. I just want him to do well this Sunday. :yellowthumb:

But based on my comment I can see how it might appear that I have him as a fantasy player. :tt02:

lol easy now guys ... Now i do hope ben for a good game and a blowout win ...

but lets not get to crazy I'm playing against Ben in my fantasy game this week ... lol so just a good game but how about LETS GET THIS RUN GAME GOING!!!!! lol

LOL....good one. :lol:

Steelers/PSU Fan
09-19-2012, 03:34 PM
Hope we get up by 2 TDs at least in the 1st half, I don't want it to be another Colts/Chiefs/Browns game like last year where my finger nails are bitten off by the end of the game. Steelers didn't blow out 1 team last year on the road.

harpo
09-19-2012, 03:43 PM
Hope we get up by 2 TDs at least in the 1st half, I don't want it to be another Colts/Chiefs/Browns game like last year where my finger nails are bitten off by the end of the game. Steelers didn't blow out 1 team last year on the road.

Hopefully Haley can start a 'blowout' streak on the road with this offense.....:yellowthumb:

Goodfrom55
09-19-2012, 04:51 PM
No matter what shape the secondary is in, it all starts up front with the horses. If they give Ben time to execute the offense, could be a long day for the Raiders.

scudmissile29
09-19-2012, 06:34 PM
LOL this should be a blow out.

Who knows

Black@Gold Forever32
09-19-2012, 07:06 PM
Its up to Todd Haley for Ben to have a big day vs the Raiders...Haley has to realize soon that he doesn't have Jim Brown in his backfield and the Steelers are a passing team.....Lets get the running game going just cracks me up....Mendenhall still recovering and now Dwyer has turf toe.......The Steelers don't have enough healthy RB's to just pound the football.....

LatrobePA
09-19-2012, 08:38 PM
I used to think the same but years of BA ruined my excitement, I hope Haley can bring it back by attacking a teams weakness!

connecticutsteel
09-19-2012, 10:04 PM
Gilbert and Adams were out of practice today this could be a disaster brewing for the steelers .if those guys go down in the game we are screwed.

Get7With7
09-20-2012, 09:46 AM
Its up to Todd Haley for Ben to have a big day vs the Raiders...Haley has to realize soon that he doesn't have Jim Brown in his backfield and the Steelers are a passing team.....Lets get the running game going just cracks me up....Mendenhall still recovering and now Dwyer has turf toe.......The Steelers don't have enough healthy RB's to just pound the football.....

I wonder what Art Rooney II thought after the Patriots game last year?

"Wow, I have a really good QB who's exposing a poor secondary for what it is! Perhaps I should remember this going forward."

Or.....

"Oh no! We didn't resemble the 70's team! Nooooo! Granddaddy, please don't bring doom upon the city of Pittsburgh with your angered spirit! I promise I'll put the game in the hands of the RB from Bowie State instead of a two-time SB winning QB next year!"

coach
09-20-2012, 01:02 PM
Having lost starting cornerback Ron Bartell in the opener and likely losing Shawntae Spencer in Week 2 to a foot injury, cornerbacks Darius Butler, Cletis Gordon, Antwaun Molden and Kevin Thomas were evaluated by the personnel staff.

I can see the offense passing a lot to open the game until they have a lead, ala the NE game last year.

Get7With7
09-20-2012, 04:06 PM
This game will tell us a lot about the Steelers. Will they take advantage of a team with a bad secondary? Or will Coach Art demand running plays on first and second downs?

Goodfrom55
09-20-2012, 04:29 PM
As "unimpressive" as the Steelers running stats are, you still have to run the ball; have to force the defense to defend the run so it will open up the play action passing game. Draw the secondary up to defend the run, that's when you call a play action pass to Wallace or something down the seam to AB or Heath.

Get7With7
09-20-2012, 05:03 PM
As "unimpressive" as the Steelers running stats are, you still have to run the ball; have to force the defense to defend the run so it will open up the play action passing game. Draw the secondary up to defend the run, that's when you call a play action pass to Wallace or something down the seam to AB or Heath.

No they don't. Because with a bad running game you just waste early downs and put you're QB in 3rd & long situations. They didn't waste time establishing a running game against the Patriots last year. Oakland's secondary is shredded right now, they need to come out throwing and take advantage of that weakness like they did against New England. They need to establish Ben and the receivers, not the RB from Bowie State.

Time to leave 1972 behind and enter 2012.

Goodfrom55
09-20-2012, 06:09 PM
I disagree. Once a team becomes one dimensional, they become easier to defend. I'm not saying run it 30+ times unless you're averaging 4+ YPC, but you have to present the threat of a run in order to open up the passing game. Doing so also slows down the blitz because the LB's have to respect the play fake. Running game wouldn't be half bad right now if we had a guy who ran faster than a 5.0 40 yard dash.

Get7With7
09-20-2012, 09:11 PM
I disagree. Once a team becomes one dimensional, they become easier to defend. I'm not saying run it 30+ times unless you're averaging 4+ YPC, but you have to present the threat of a run in order to open up the passing game. Doing so also slows down the blitz because the LB's have to respect the play fake. Running game wouldn't be half bad right now if we had a guy who ran faster than a 5.0 40 yard dash.

I'm not saying become one-dimensional. But this offense does not need to be heavily dependent on the run, nor is it built to be. In fact, today's NFL is more about passing to set up the run.

Look at what the Broncos did to the Steelers. Did they stubbornly run on first and second downs? No. They unleashed Manning and ran the ball to keep the defense off-balance.

When you have guys like Ben, Wallace, Sanders, Brown, and Miller you don't wait for the RB from Bowie State to get going before you use them.

Steelersfan
09-20-2012, 10:35 PM
It is the age old question of running to open the pass or pass to open the run. You have to be good at one to help the other. Steelers need to pass to open the run these days.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Black@Gold Forever32
09-20-2012, 11:01 PM
It is the age old question of running to open the pass or pass to open the run. You have to be good at one to help the other. Steelers need to pass to open the run these days.

100% agree sir..........

coldrolled
09-21-2012, 07:59 AM

Brady, Rivers, Manning, Brees, Rodgers really dont care about run first... Their Elite... Ben be elite...

Big T
09-21-2012, 08:19 AM
Brady, Rivers, Manning, Brees, Rodgers really dont care about run first... Their Elite... Ben be elite...

Calling rivers elite is hilarious

Real Deal Steel
09-21-2012, 09:44 AM
No they don't. Because with a bad running game you just waste early downs and put you're QB in 3rd & long situations. They didn't waste time establishing a running game against the Patriots last year. Oakland's secondary is shredded right now, they need to come out throwing and take advantage of that weakness like they did against New England. They need to establish Ben and the receivers, not the RB from Bowie State.

Time to leave 1972 behind and enter 2012.

Your flat out wrong. Go ask the Packers what happened to them against the Giants in the playoffs last year. When the passing game is all you have, and it gets defensed, your screwed.

Look at the Giants in the playoffs....they were 31st in the league in rushing...regular season! When the playoffs kicked in, they ran the ball and established balance. Your too enamored with the espn highlights and not the nuances of the game. Passing looks all nice and everything, but running the ball, keeping the defenses honest is always the best way to go.

Real Deal Steel
09-21-2012, 09:47 AM

What has Brady won since they had Corey Dillion??????????
What has Brees won since the year they were 4th in rushing and won the title??????????
When the Packers abandon the run last year, what happened to them against the Giants?????????
And Rivers is all that the Chargers have..they don't even have a real running game.

Real Deal Steel
09-21-2012, 09:48 AM

How many Super Bowls have been won by a team with a 60/40 passing ratio?

Get7With7
09-21-2012, 09:52 AM
How many Super Bowls have been won by a team with a 60/40 passing ratio?

When did he say anything about pass/run ratio? Sounds to me like he's just implying the Steelers shouldn't play a run, run, pass offense.

Real Deal Steel
09-21-2012, 09:54 AM
When did he say anything about pass/run ratio? Sounds to me like he's just implying the Steelers shouldn't play a run, run, pass offense.

Agreed. But the overall offensive balance is important. If not just for this game, but to establish it so the team is practicing what it needs to do against future opponents.

Get7With7
09-21-2012, 03:48 PM
Agreed. But the overall offensive balance is important. If not just for this game, but to establish it so the team is practicing what it needs to do against future opponents.

I'd rather they establish after they win the game in the first half picking apart a crap secondary. Although it certainly has a place in all offenses, running is complementary to passing these days. The Steelers offense certainly needs to get more out of their running game, but they don't need to lean heavily on it. They need to run to keep the other team's defense off-balance, not to please a deceased person in a casket several feet underground.

coldrolled
09-21-2012, 05:04 PM
What has Brady won since they had Corey Dillion??????????
What has Brees won since the year they were 4th in rushing and won the title??????????
When the Packers abandon the run last year, what happened to them against the Giants?????????
And Rivers is all that the Chargers have..they don't even have a real running game.

Thats my point... The NFL talking heads consider the passing QB's elite....

We won and ran alot in two super bowls also.

Get7With7
09-21-2012, 06:54 PM
Thats my point... The NFL talking heads consider the passing QB's elite....

We won and ran alot in two super bowls also.

No. The Steelers got a lead, tried to sit on it, watched the Cardinals take the lead, then had Ben go get it back.

Mean Linebacker
09-22-2012, 01:10 AM
There is no reason in my mind that Ben shouldn't have a 300 yd day through the air. The Raiders run defense isn't all that bad; Reggie Bush is a pretty good runner but their pass defense stinks. Light em up early and often.

Real Deal Steel
09-22-2012, 02:40 AM
No. The Steelers got a lead, tried to sit on it, watched the Cardinals take the lead, then had Ben go get it back.

Not the point. We got the lead initially by running the ball decently. Not great, but decently.

Big T
09-22-2012, 08:16 AM
The main thing is trying to force the run, when it clearly isn't working, with a team that is built to pass the ball, is idiotic. Bottom line. Yes, you have to run the ball to keep the defense honest. But trying to be that "smashmouth" "rah rah Steeler Football" team, when the team isn't built that way, really is stupid. You can pass to set up the run. It works both ways. I don't know about anyone else, but I'd rather the ball be in Ben's hands than Isaac Redman. This offense has way too much potential through the air to be stubborn and try to force something that just isn't there...

Real Deal Steel
09-22-2012, 10:59 AM
You did hear the order from Colbert and Rooney in the off-season right? They want more balance. And I don't blame them. Ben is going to get hurt if the run isn't established. Defenses are just running straight to him with no regard or respect for the running game. Offensive balance is ALWAYS the best way to go and should be what you strive to achieve.

Get7With7
09-22-2012, 11:33 AM
You did hear the order from Colbert and Rooney in the off-season right? They want more balance. And I don't blame them. Ben is going to get hurt if the run isn't established. Defenses are just running straight to him with no regard or respect for the running game. Offensive balance is ALWAYS the best way to go and should be what you strive to achieve.

And stubbornly running when it's not working helps Ben how? Putting him in 3rd & long situations helps how? Perhaps they should let Ben do more on first downs, then there's less he has to do on second and third downs.

I also find it very inappropriate for an owner to talk about how often an offense should run or pass.