PDA

View Full Version : New article for the Pittsburgh Sporting News, aka The Yinzer

SteelCityVoice
09-10-2012, 07:55 PM
http://www.pittsburghsportingnews.com/pittsburgh-steelers-face-an-identity-crisis/

I'll be writing some articles for the Pittsburgh Sporting News, aka "The Yinzer" now. Steelers and Power mostly, plus a few other articles.

Here's the first one.

Who exactly are the Pittsburgh Steelers anymore?

It always seemed like the one constant for the Steelers was a tough as nails defense that made it tough on opponents to score. Hard hits, Brutal physicality, intimidation, well I think you get the point.

This isn’t the Pittsburgh Steelers we’re accustomed to. What’s happened to the “Big Nasty D” or “Blitzburgh” defenses of the past? More importantly, whatever happened to the Steelers ability to prevent the big play?

LatrobePA
09-10-2012, 07:58 PM
Ask Warren Sapp! lol

Seriously, Foote, Hampton, Ike and Troy no longer scare people.

Big T
09-10-2012, 08:46 PM
Ask Warren Sapp! lol

Larry Foote actually played a decent game last night. Ike is still a very solid corner. And yes, Troy still scares people. Ask Peyton lol. Peyton isn't going to re-set that many times before ultimately calling a TO when just anyone creeps up to the line. Troy may not scare anyone in pass coverage, but he's still a great in-the-box safety, who you have to account for.

Can't wait until we beat the Jets next week and everyone is talking about how great we are and that there's no way we don't win the Super Bowl.

jpele
09-10-2012, 08:51 PM
We had the #1 defense in the league, including #1 in points allowed, what more do you want?

SteelCityVoice
09-10-2012, 09:03 PM
More turnovers and splash plays might help....

LatrobePA
09-10-2012, 09:21 PM
Larry Foote actually played a decent game last night. Ike is still a very solid corner. And yes, Troy still scares people. Ask Peyton lol. Peyton isn't going to re-set that many times before ultimately calling a TO when just anyone creeps up to the line. Troy may not scare anyone in pass coverage, but he's still a great in-the-box safety, who you have to account for.

Can't wait until we beat the Jets next week and everyone is talking about how great we are and that there's no way we don't win the Super Bowl.

I get what you're saying, Foote was the best defender last night but he doesn't scare anyone. I know Troy had Manning thinking but that didn't stop him from making a play that way.

I just feel this team doesn't worry teams like it once did.

Zachintosh66
09-11-2012, 05:49 AM
We had the #1 defense in the league, including #1 in points allowed, what more do you want?

Aside from Foote... i wasnt impressed with anyone.
Woodly got some pressure but could close the deal. Timmons looked okay as well.
Was hoping Allen or Lewis stepped up, but that didnt happen and made me yearn for Gay (which makes me wanna barf).
I thoguht Hampton played too much and McClendon didnt play enough, just my opinion.
Troy casued a timeout - oooh. Thats about all. More diving whiffs in the backfield.
Sometimes we bitch about Clark being slow and hitting people instead of tackling them, but Clark is by far better than Mundy.
Carter and Worilds we almost non-exsistant (Jason had one good play) but pressure wasnt there.

Zachintosh66
09-11-2012, 05:52 AM

Aside from Foote... i wasnt impressed with anyone.
Woodly got some pressure but could close the deal. Timmons looked okay as well.
Was hoping Allen or Lewis stepped up, but that didnt happen and made me yearn for Gay (which makes me wanna barf).
I thoguht Hampton played too much and McClendon didnt play enough, just my opinion.
Troy casued a timeout - oooh. Thats about all. More diving whiffs in the backfield.
Sometimes we bitch about Clark being slow and hitting people instead of tackling them, but Clark is by far better than Mundy.
Carter and Worilds we almost non-exsistant (Jason had one good play) but pressure wasnt there.

Root4Stlrs
09-11-2012, 07:44 AM
I get what you're saying, Foote was the best defender last night but he doesn't scare anyone. I know Troy had Manning thinking but that didn't stop him from making a play that way.

I just feel this team doesn't worry teams like it once did.

Very sad to say I have to agree with you.

BlitzburghRockCity
09-11-2012, 08:36 AM
We talked about this on the podcast last night too, this defense is in somewhat of an identity crisis. They try to be Blitzburgh but they can't keep it going all game long, they aren't Big Nasty D any more either.

It's not just the one game last weekend either, this goes back a couple years now. All the injuries and new NFL rules has hampered what the Steelers try to do. These guys are used to playing a certain way and right up until even 2 years ago they were still doing what they've always done. Now with all the fines, new rules, and injured players they are clearly still trying to find their way, at least I think so.

Raleigh Steel
09-11-2012, 09:09 AM
We talked about this on the podcast last night too, this defense is in somewhat of an identity crisis. They try to be Blitzburgh but they can't keep it going all game long, they aren't Big Nasty D any more either.

It's not just the one game last weekend either, this goes back a couple years now. All the injuries and new NFL rules has hampered what the Steelers try to do. These guys are used to playing a certain way and right up until even 2 years ago they were still doing what they've always done. Now with all the fines, new rules, and injured players they are clearly still trying to find their way, at least I think so.

BRC, i agree with thi, but there is something else that is missing...the league is literally passing dlb by. i never wanted to admit it but i cant help but think it now. he figured out how to slow it down and finally stop that pats last seaons...why don't we continue that? last year vs denver we loaded up to stop tebow and the runand he torched us with the pass all game long...even into overtime. the other night we tried again to keep everything in front of us and peyton out smarted dlb on almost every play. while i love dlb, and what he has brought to this team and everything he's done for this organization, i believe it's time for his nfl career to come to an end and hand the defense over to someone new.

maybe he proves me wrong and i would love him too....

LatrobePA
09-11-2012, 09:38 AM
When was the last time we had our guys jumping around screaming getting fired up?? Doesn't happen, they've taken on Tomlin's low key attitude... This D just doesn't played inspired football anymore!

Brett said after the Bronco's game "once they got into the no huddle we couldn't stop them" got news for ya, you better soon find a way!!

BlitzburghRockCity
09-11-2012, 04:27 PM
Harrison the vocal leader of that defense now, he is the Joey Porter of this team. Without him in there the defense doesn't show that swagger as much. I would hope when he gets back we can get back to that.

The NFL is doing all it can to take the old time defensive coaches out of the game. Their style of football is not what they want and over the last couple of years they have been continuously taking them out of their game. Goodell can preach about keeping the integrity of the game all he wants but the fact is he doesn't want a big hit, doesn't want the defense to do anything physical. You've seen the refs, they call every hit as a personal foul. If anything the replacements are calling less of those, at least early on unless its blatantly obvious.

I think Lebeau is stubborn in his way of thinking now with his cornerbacks, keeping everything in front of you is just asking for the Mannings and Brady's to pick you apart. His logic of forcing them into a mistake on a long play drive is fine, but the elite QB's can score in an instant...see Manning.

Real Deal Steel
09-11-2012, 07:19 PM
Blitz,

That's the best analogy I've heard of what's going on with the defense overall. I think it's time for them to change. With the way that teams pass now, you've got to have corners that can cover man on man. This zone stuff gets carved up by the elite passers.

Lebeau has to either change or get fired. Sorry to say it but he has to adapt to the way football is played today. This isn't 2002 anymore. When you don't have a pass rush, you can't sit and play zone 75% of the time.

strummerfan
09-11-2012, 08:16 PM
Ask Warren Sapp! lol

I don't know what game you were watching, but Foote was solid.

LatrobePA
09-11-2012, 08:33 PM
I don't know what game you were watching, but Foote was solid.

Foote doesn't scare anyone! Do you hear yourself? Larry fn Foote was the only standout on this defense the other night, lol that's fn sad!!

I all ready said he was solid but not even close to scary!

connecticutsteel
09-11-2012, 08:36 PM
I will never yearn for will Gay lewis and allen will do better when clark is in back of them instead of ****** mundy.bring on clark and Golden

Nolrog
09-11-2012, 08:59 PM
We desperately need another play maker on D. Either an OLB to replace Harrison or a safety. Both Troy and Harrison won't be around too much longer, so we need their successors on the roster like now!