PDA

View Full Version : Should everybody fight for their job ?

BlitzburghRockCity
01-28-2007, 12:11 PM
Obviously we know players like Ben, Hines, Troy, Casey, and any one of several possible others going into 2007 probably won't lose their starting spot ;) but going into this camp I would hope that everybody takes the idea to heart that it's time to fight for your job in camp, strap up the helmets and see who wants it more ! Competition breeds excellence and may the best man win, whoever he is !

SteelerDan43
01-28-2007, 12:25 PM
I think thats definably a benefit of bringing in an outsider, he has no real allegiances to long time players

House of Steel
01-28-2007, 12:26 PM
I agree with Dan, everything is up for grabs.

BlackGold4vr
01-28-2007, 12:37 PM
Players like Duce Staley who were coaches pets and took a long free ride without contributing should be served notice! New sheriff in town and the free rides are over. Players talents, attitudes, and potentials will be closely evaluated and players who are not carrying their weight won't be around for long! As it should be! Loyalty should be a one-way street from the players to the coach and not vice versa. A coaches loyalties should be to the fans and the owners........not the players! Its a performance oriented business and those who can no longer play at a competitive level should move on! Change is the operative word. Players just like teams are either on the rise or on the decline......nothing stays the same. Coaches must always guard against allowing personal relationships with their players cloud the professional decisions that must be made to keep the team moving up the mountain! Bill had lost that edge. Tomlin will bring it back!

:clap:

Iron City South
01-28-2007, 12:46 PM
Just the selection of an outsider like Tomlin sends a very huge message to the team, "NO FREE LUNCH" .... :nono:

Yep, the veteran Free Lunch program has ended and everyone must come in prepared to earn their spot on payroll next year. :tt02:

BlackGold4vr
01-28-2007, 12:48 PM
It really irked me that Chidi who is one of our best special teams players was cut and Duce Staley who really hadn't contributed since his first year we brought him here was kept! I thought that Chidi Iwuoma made an immediate impact on special teams as soon as he was brought back!

:scratch:

BB2W
01-28-2007, 12:56 PM
I've thought about this as well... should be a pretty intense camp with each player wanting to stand out. I'm sure their will be some players feeling insecure about their spot on the depth chart. When a new coach comes in he has no history with you and feels no loyalty towards any one player over another. I would think first impression means a lot.

BlitzburghRockCity
01-28-2007, 01:05 PM
It really irked me that Chidi who is one of our best special teams players was cut and Duce Staley who really hadn't contributed since his first year we brought him here was kept! I thought that Chidi Iwuoma made an immediate impact on special teams as soon as he was brought back!

:scratch:

Dude that was just one of the moves that our team made that made me :scratch: :scratch: ! Cutting Chidi was a terrible move, keeping Duce so long was a terrible move. Then early on we cut Kuhn, brought in Cobb from the Pats, dropped him a few days later I think it was, then brought in Davenport and didn't use him till half way through the season :cursin: I swear 2006 was about one of the weirdest years I can remember.

House of Steel
01-28-2007, 01:15 PM
You can say that again, Matt. :iagree:

Steelerlyn
01-28-2007, 01:21 PM
I wish but am beginning to wonder if that is something teams do anymore or if it is just lip service.

BlitzburghRockCity
01-28-2007, 02:36 PM
If Cowher were back I think it would be just lip service again, but with a new coach in town it should serve us well to see a renewed sense of urgency; especially after a dismal season last year.

Black@Gold Forever32
01-28-2007, 03:27 PM
Agree people should fight for their job that only makes the players better. I even say Ben at this point. Going into camp Tomlin should tell both Ben and Charlie they're fighting for the starting QB. That would give Ben the extra motivation to work hard and really become the QB we know he can be.

K Train
01-28-2007, 03:51 PM
the starters that are locks are ben, troy, hines, faneca, and hampton. Everyone is going out there with something to prove to this new coach, because we all know cowher babyed players and kept them around till the last second where they could fake an injury to go on IR without making it look like cowher made a mistake.....jmo lol.

But seriously, think back...Kordell is a good example, the most recent one is colclough, even ben, he babied the hell out of ben and thats why we lost against oakland....because cowher let him walk ove him...our guys are gonna be ready to play, the new coach is just new motivation for a championship caliber team.

BlitzburghNation
01-28-2007, 04:13 PM
Obviously we know players like Ben, Hines, Troy, Casey, and any one of several possible others going into 2007 probably won't lose their starting spot ;) but going into this camp I would hope that everybody takes the idea to heart that it's time to fight for your job in camp, strap up the helmets and see who wants it more ! Competition breeds excellence and may the best man win, whoever he is !

:iagree:

Iron City South
01-28-2007, 07:41 PM
Sorry team, no more "movie day" at camp .... time to get back to the fundamentals of football. You're there to work, not watch flicks ....

BB2W
01-28-2007, 07:53 PM
Sorry team, no more "movie day" at camp .... time to get back to the fundamentals of football. You're there to work, not watch flicks ....
:bluelol:

I forgot about that... I guess they won't do the sprints Cowher used to do either.

DIESELMAN
01-28-2007, 09:48 PM
Yup its time to put up or shut up, we got new blood in the coaching staff. Time for new blood in the starting lineup.....