PDA

View Full Version : Cut downs start on Monday, who's getting the ax?

BlitzburghRockCity
08-24-2012, 10:30 PM
Teams have their first round of cuts due on Monday. Saturdays game is the last chance for 15 guys to make a name for themselves.

Teams have to cut down from 90 to 75.

Who's among the first to go?

- From BRC's Bionic of Awesomeness

BlacknGold Bleeder
08-24-2012, 11:24 PM
Wallace,Hampton, Mendenhall,Harrison, lets get rid of all that extra salary these guys are taking up:thinking::yikes1::lol:

BlitzburghRockCity
08-24-2012, 11:45 PM
A few who are in trouble unless they have a stellar game on Saturday..

Corbin Bryant, DE
Terrence Frederick, CB
Brandon Hicks, LB
Igbinosun Ikponmwosa, DL
Jake Stoller, DE
Kade Weston, DL
Josh Victorian, DB
Ryan Baker, LB

There's got to be at least one surprise though because you have to cut down 15, so some of the WR's on the bubble are in serious trouble.

Big T
08-24-2012, 11:55 PM
A few who are in trouble unless they have a stellar game on Saturday..

Corbin Bryant, DE
Terrence Frederick, CB
Brandon Hicks, LB
Igbinosun Ikponmwosa, DL
Jake Stoller, DE
Kade Weston, DL
Josh Victorian, DB
Ryan Baker, LB

There's got to be at least one surprise though because you have to cut down 15, so some of the WR's on the bubble are in serious trouble.

Not sure I agree with Corbin Bryant. The man had a very nice training camp and has looked solid. I say they give him at least another look in the final preseason game.

86WARD
08-25-2012, 07:11 AM
Toney Clemmons could be in trouble. He's pretty much been non-existent...

ChucktownSteeler
08-25-2012, 08:03 AM
Beachum

strummerfan
08-25-2012, 08:31 AM
Myron Rolle

He's a great story, but his NFL career is coming to an end.

KemoTherapy
08-25-2012, 12:26 PM
I'd totally forgotten about Rolle and the "huge" impact he's had. I second the thought that Clemons has been invisible.If it was up to me I'd axe Hampton, there's just no tread left on his tires and McClendon has been a revelation.

steelspikes
08-25-2012, 01:03 PM
Wallace,Hampton, Mendenhall,Harrison, lets get rid of all that extra salary these guys are taking up:thinking::yikes1::lol: Very funny.

steelspikes
08-25-2012, 01:12 PM
I'd totally forgotten about Rolle and the "huge" impact he's had. I second the thought that Clemons has been invisible.If it was up to me I'd axe Hampton, there's just no tread left on his tires and McClendon has been a revelation.
C'mon man, don't you think"Big Snack" deserves a little more respect? He been an anchor on the D-line for a long time. If he's really done (and I doubt he is) the Steeler Way would be to nudge him into retirement, not to cut him.

Zachintosh66
08-25-2012, 01:17 PM
funny how fast steeler nation will turn on a guy... what was it 2 years ago we were begging for Pitt to resign him

connecticutsteel
08-25-2012, 02:20 PM
I think igbinosun may make the PS

Big T
08-25-2012, 02:44 PM
C'mon man, don't you think"Big Snack" deserves a little more respect? He been an anchor on the D-line for a long time. If he's really done (and I doubt he is) the Steeler Way would be to nudge him into retirement, not to cut him.

Just like Aaron Smith right? I'm really getting tired of the whole "Steeler Way" BS the fans spew.

greennick
08-25-2012, 02:52 PM
Just like Aaron Smith right? I'm really getting tired of the whole "Steeler Way" BS the fans spew.

We held on to him for a lot longer than many other teams would have. But after the amount of games we got over the last 20 mil, you would be foolish to keep him. It isn't like other teams were clamoring for him...

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Big T
08-25-2012, 03:03 PM
We held on to him for a lot longer than many other teams would have. But after the amount of games we got over the last 20 mil, you would be foolish to keep him. It isn't like other teams were clamoring for him...

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

That has nothing to do with what my point was. steelspikes seemed to suggest that the Steelers dont just cut long-term veteran defensive lineman that have anchored the defense for a decade, they "nudge" them into retirement. My point was that Aaron Smith anchored this D Line longer and had just as much of an impact as Hamp through his career, and they just cut him. In fact, the fact that no one else was "clamoring" for him shouldve made "nudging him into retirement" pretty easy if that was "The Steeler Way". My point had nothin to do with keeping him longer than they should've or his overall health. It was to put down this illusion that a lot of Steelers fans seem to have, that the team won't cut your *** if you've been here a while and aren't worth the money anymore. Aaron Smith was a perfect example.

BlitzburghRockCity
08-25-2012, 11:45 PM
Corbin Bryant had 3 tackles total tonight and looked pretty darn good. Derrick Williams had himself an important game. He's safe for this first round for sure.

Ta'amu actually had a better game tonight. He was able to get a decent push on several occasions.

steelspikes
08-26-2012, 05:56 AM
That has nothing to do with what my point was. steelspikes seemed to suggest that the Steelers dont just cut long-term veteran defensive lineman that have anchored the defense for a decade, they "nudge" them into retirement. My point was that Aaron Smith anchored this D Line longer and had just as much of an impact as Hamp through his career, and they just cut him. In fact, the fact that no one else was "clamoring" for him shouldve made "nudging him into retirement" pretty easy if that was "The Steeler Way". My point had nothin to do with keeping him longer than they should've or his overall health. It was to put down this illusion that a lot of Steelers fans seem to have, that the team won't cut your *** if you've been here a while and aren't worth the money anymore. Aaron Smith was a perfect example.
You could be right. Like Sonny said: "It's not personal, it's business." Then again, one would like to think that the spirit of Art Rooney Sr. lives on: a man famous for his personal way of doing business. Be that as it may, with Hampton just having had arm surgery, I just don't see the Steelers cutting him at this point. If he can't perform at the standard required, then team may have no choice.

connecticutsteel
08-26-2012, 09:33 AM
Weston Katula Peele
Blanc Freeman McFadden
Stoller Stewart Victorian
Cox Young McCoy
Beachum Hicks Ford

Zachintosh66
08-26-2012, 10:20 AM
Here is my guess at the 15 cuts:

1. DB Josh Victorian
2. LB Brandon Hicks
3. LB Ryan Baker
4. LS Matt Katula
5. RB Jason FOrd
6. S Myron Rolle
7. TE Jaime McCoy
8. WR Paul Cox
9. WR Jimmy Young
10. WR Ju Stewart
11. DE Jake Stoller
12. CB Andre Freeman
13. Mike Blanc
14. DE I????? I???? :lol:
15. OL Kyle Jolly

Black@Gold Forever32
08-26-2012, 10:26 AM
Well I'm still sick of DeCastro going down I hope he did just tear his MCL......But with one player going down it does open up the door of a young player like Ryan Lee making the team.......Some were high on him and I do think Lee will make the team now....Maybe he is a hidden gem.......Just trying to look for some kind of positive if there is any on the DeCastro injury....

LatrobePA
08-26-2012, 10:42 AM
I can't see them keeping C Batch.. Think he could be now or later?

coldrolled
08-26-2012, 10:54 AM
Hopefully it is a bad knee sprain... no tears.. Ryan Lee had a door open for sure.

BlitzburghRockCity
08-26-2012, 04:09 PM
It's never been a question of if Lefty or Batch can run the offense, but rather who are you most confident in to stay healthy for the entire season? I wouldn't say either one of them at this point. Going with 2 QB's though would scare me to death, just like it always does. No more Hines Ward as the emergency QB either.

Zachintosh66
08-26-2012, 04:39 PM
I havent been able to "watch" any preseason games (listened to them)... Is this Ryan Lee decent enough to knock off Legs?

Big T
08-26-2012, 04:44 PM
I havent been able to "watch" any preseason games (listened to them)... Is this Ryan Lee decent enough to knock off Legs?

He's definitely outplayed Legs. And I'll be the first to admit that I didn't see much in Lee. He's played very well, albeit against scrubs.

Black@Gold Forever32
08-26-2012, 04:59 PM
He's definitely outplayed Legs. And I'll be the first to admit that I didn't see much in Lee. He's played very well, albeit against scrubs.

exactly but with the DeCastro injury it does give Lee a nice shot to make the team.....I'm still very sick that DeCastro is out for the year.....was such a fan of his...hope he comes back strong and beasts next year.....

Big T
08-26-2012, 05:08 PM
exactly but with the DeCastro injury it does give Lee a nice shot to make the team.....I'm still very sick that DeCastro is out for the year.....was such a fan of his...hope he comes back strong and beasts next year.....

I know :(