PDA

View Full Version : WILL PORTER MOVE ON ?

BlitzburghNation
01-27-2007, 10:12 PM
You guys think porter will stay ? :dunno:
I know he's a RFA but we could trade him and get some comp for him !
Me personally i think he's gonna stay for less money,,,,,,simple because he said he wants to finish his career a STEELER and just maybe he'll love what the new coaches are bringing to the table :tt02: :helmet: :tt02:

Blitzburgh55
01-27-2007, 10:14 PM
No Porter will stay he aint going anywhere

House of Steel
01-27-2007, 10:15 PM
Staying for sure, but he is going to accept less money.

Koopa
01-27-2007, 10:16 PM
well actually, he's still under contract for next year........but him aging and wanting to get paid like a young person it's tough to see him back after next year..........

BlitzburghRockCity
01-27-2007, 10:18 PM
Yes he is still under contract but he's let it be known he wants an extension and wants to finish his career with us. If Lebeau wasn't coming back I'd be more apt to think Joey would ask for a trade, but with most of his coaches returning I think he stays. We need leadership now more than ever, and his intensity is unmatched.

Koopa
01-27-2007, 10:22 PM
Yes he is still under contract but he's let it be known he wants an extension and wants to finish his career with us. If Lebeau wasn't coming back I'd be more apt to think Joey would ask for a trade, but with most of his coaches returning I think he stays. We need leadership now more than ever, and his intensity is unmatched.

that's him just being politically correct........he'll stay if we pay him what he wants, and that's a lot, the rooney's are pretty damn cheap so unless he realizes he's old and not gonna be worth big bucks to keep here then i can see him staying, and i hope he does, i love porter....but he isn't worth putting our future cap wise in doubt, we still got to pay ben and troy.......

BlackGold4vr
01-27-2007, 10:27 PM
I think Bill Cowher talked him into not holding out last year! Hard to imagine him not making any contract demands this year. As much as Porter might love playing in the black&gold he has watched many teamates leave for greener pastures. Like Randle El in Washington! Granted Dan Snyder is an idiot and overpays all his players but he Randle El never gets 6 mil a year from the Rooneys! I believe Peezy wants a big payday! He's a west coast guy to begin with and I don't believe his loyalties lie with the Rooneys, they lied with Bill Cowher. We'll see soon enough!

:tt02:

BlitzburghRockCity
01-27-2007, 10:29 PM
We've let players go before who wanted too much money, in particular LB's like Gildon, Lloyd, Brown, Green , those were some big names so I don't expect the Rooney's to break the bank on Porter yet either. They'll offer him a raise but I doubt it will be for the money he wants. Im hoping he'll take their offer and stay cuz I love having him on the team.

DIESELMAN
01-27-2007, 10:36 PM
Let him play his contract out and the we can can let him go FA in 2008. We can sign Haggans cheaper and he'll be playing for a new contract either with us or someone else. Harrison needs to be in the lineup and if Porter holds out for an extension, we better do good in the draft (aka Jackson bit us)

BlitzburghNation
01-27-2007, 10:42 PM
Let him play his contract out and the we can can let him go FA in 2008. We can sign Haggans cheaper and he'll be playing for a new contract either with us or someone else. Harrison needs to be in the lineup and if Porter holds out for an extension, we better do good in the draft (aka Jackson bit us)

:ditto:
DRAFT PICK,,,,,,,,, Would be nice to get a draft pick for a change instead of losing our players and getting nothing in return :banging:

Black@Gold Forever32
01-27-2007, 10:55 PM
I think Joey stays for this year and next year he will leave. For those who think he will hold out. I don't think he will since he really needs to have a really good year if he wants to have a huge pay day next year.

K Train
01-27-2007, 11:14 PM
he'll be back and he'll like it, hes gonna have to relize that his best chance for success is with us. If by chance he did leave....harrison is a beast and would fill his spot easily, it would just leave us with depth issues.

i think he loves us to much to leave...besides, hes our ********, hes the guy to talk **** and for every other fan to hate because he talks to much....we need one of those

BlitzburghNation
01-27-2007, 11:20 PM
he'll be back and he'll like it, hes gonna have to relize that his best chance for success is with us. If by chance he did leave....harrison is a beast and would fill his spot easily, it would just leave us with depth issues.

i think he loves us to much to leave...besides, hes our ********, hes the guy to talk **** and for every other fan to hate because he talks to much....we need one of those

Good one,,,,,,,,,:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :greengrin: :clap:

SteelerDan43
01-27-2007, 11:26 PM
He took a step back this year, he is getting old. As soon as his contract is up he will get the boot and it will be good riddance. He definitely is at the top of the list when it comes to players that are unsportsmanlike. A prime example of how to not go about your business in a professional manner.

K Train
01-27-2007, 11:31 PM
hes still one of the best olbs in the league

BlitzburghRockCity
01-27-2007, 11:42 PM
Joey is carrying on the traditional of mean,nasty, trash talking, tough, intimidating linebackers. Lambert, Lloyd, Little, Porter, etc. Each generation of Steeler teams has a nasty and downright mean LB. Porter is that guy for us; I hope he sticks around.

SteelerDan43
01-28-2007, 12:00 AM
But he isnt even in the same sentence with the rest of those guys when it comes to play on the field. And he is a jagoff, Lambert put you in the ground he didnt need pull up his jersey to try to show that he is jacked then bark at the other team and proceed to have like 3 tackles in the game. His trash talking is just ridiculous, one of the most inconsistent guys we have, one week he has multiple QB pressures and a sack or two and the next you dont hear his name called all game

K Train
01-28-2007, 12:03 AM
so is chad johnsons, whats wrong with us having a trash talker? hes a good player who motivates the defense, and makes big plays at big times. He didnt have a great year cause he was double and tripled teams but he just seems to be a playmaker

Koopa
01-28-2007, 12:04 AM
damn, so much hate for porter, i love the dude, he's exciting to watch.......every team needs a player like him

SteelerDan43
01-28-2007, 12:10 AM
Because trash talking is straight up stupid, why do you need to tell them your all big and bad? Just show them. He is just to inconsistant, look at last years playoffs... vs the Colts he was great, in the SB he was no where to be found

House of Steel
01-28-2007, 12:11 AM
Are you ****ing kidding me, SteelerDan43? Porter is a powerhouse for our defense. So what, he trash talks. We have worse Trash Talkers in the NFL, ask Warren Fattie Sapp, Terrell Donkey Lips Owens, and the list is long as hell.
As long as Porter can motivate the defense, hell we don't need to even think he doesn't. He is a force and I wouldn't trade him for anything else. I would be honored to meet Joey Porter in person and say, Your damn man that puts fire into our defense!

SteelerDan43
01-28-2007, 12:13 AM
I just really really hate trash talking, it takes away from the team and just makes you look dumb. There is a proper way to go about winning and that includes good sportsmanship and trash talking is not apart of it

Koopa
01-28-2007, 12:16 AM
either was ben, and willie aside from one play, and a lot of everyone else...so what....porter is great for this team, he's a emotional leader and ppl follow............ you sound like my grandpa the way you are talking down on him

House of Steel
01-28-2007, 12:24 AM
Dan, just tell me something here. How long has trash talking been going on in all sports? VERY LONG TIME!!! It is a part of the game, it is a motivator, it is a momentum thing too, and on and on and on. Trash talking can be very entertaining to watch. Look what happened between Porter and William Green the one pre game warm up. LMAO. Chad and Joey are comedical. It is all in the game.

K Train
01-28-2007, 12:25 AM
he waqs being blocked by walter jones.....do you know how good walter jones is? he was even better with hutchinson next to him. When the tried to put stevens on porter he made stevens his lady...jones was the only way

SteelerDan43
01-28-2007, 12:35 AM
Ok, so over the past 5 years here are Porter's stats...

2002 - 9 sacks 89 tackles, 18th in the NFL
2003 - 5 sacks 66 tackles in 14 games, even if you extrapolate that out to 16 games that is only 5.7 sacks
2004 - 4 sacks 33 tackles in 8 games, that makes only 8 for the year
2005 - 11 sacks 57 tackles, 11th in the NFL
2006 - 7 sacks 55 tackles in 14 games, that would make 8 in 16 games which would tie him for 26th in the NFL with such names as Dansby of the Cardinals and Redding of Detroit.

So over the last 5 seasons he averaged 8.3 sacks and only played in 85% of the games that to me says inconsistent, not dominate, injury prone, and old

Koopa
01-28-2007, 12:38 AM
but last year he lead all linebackers with sacks.............

K Train
01-28-2007, 12:40 AM
stats are blinding, they dont tell what he does for our defense, or when hes making those sacks, when manning drops back on 3rd and long and is sacked on the goal line, who wrecked his ***? looking at stats is a terrible way to judge someone unless you are staright up comparing stats. Not to mention hes a very good cover linebacker and wont get it thrown his way very often....point is hes very versitile and is a difference make, whether you agree with his trah talking or not, whether you like him or not, you have to like what he brings to the table and what he does for the team.

SteelerDan43
01-28-2007, 12:51 AM
I dont like what he brings to the team at all, year to year its a crap shoot with him, one year he is one of the best LB's in the league the next he is mediocre at best. Im glad he didnt get his money, he hasnt proved to be a year to year constant top LB guy like the money he wants. He is going to be 30 and already has had injury issues so I think to give him money next year would be stupid and put to much pressure on the cap. Hell if you want to compare this year if he plays all 16 games (which he didnt) his stats say he gets 8 sacks, 3 Ravens LBs and a Browns LB had more

SteelerDan43
01-28-2007, 01:02 AM
Dan, just tell me something here. How long has trash talking been going on in all sports? VERY LONG TIME!!! It is a part of the game, it is a motivator, it is a momentum thing too, and on and on and on. Trash talking can be very entertaining to watch. Look what happened between Porter and William Green the one pre game warm up. LMAO. Chad and Joey are comedical. It is all in the game.

So since something happens it makes it right? Part of sports is sportsmanship, defined as "Conduct and attitude considered as befitting participants in sports, especially fair play, courtesy, striving spirit, and grace in losing." There is nothing about trash talking that even remotely falls into that.

"I always tell kids, you have two eyes and one mouth. Keep two open and one closed. You never learn anything if you're the one talking."
-Gordie Howe

How is a pregame fight good for football? It shows that two men have so little restraint that they plain lose respect for the team they are apart of and the sport they play.

58Lambert
01-28-2007, 01:06 PM
:popcorn:

House of Steel
01-28-2007, 01:12 PM
Be happy, at least Porter does it a clean way and not put any physical confrontation into the game. Hey it motivates and fires up the team when he runs his mouth. I certain other Steelers Players have done it. Hines Ward rarely, but I've seen him running his mouth and getting into the corner's heads. Troy does it, Faneca does it, Hartings does it, Ben does it, and the list goes on. Trash talking is a part of sports, and normally most of time after the game, they make up and everything is fine and dandy. I am cool with the trash talking. I've done more than my fair share and dominated opponents when I do it. I don't say anything unless I know I can dominate the enemy. Wrestling is one sports I dominated at. Football on the most part. Basketball also.

SteelerSal
01-28-2007, 02:17 PM
Porter has been more bark than bite lately. I would rather see Harrison on the field.
I also don't care what Porter say's about being a Steeler for life, he is like most other players and he will go to the highest bidder.

BlitzburghRockCity
01-28-2007, 02:24 PM
Hey all, let's remember one thing, regardless of how much Cowher liked Porter; if Harrison was that much better, don't you think he'd have been on the field more lately? Harrison is more injury prone than Porter is.

I like James alot, I think he brings a nasty, tough minded attitude to our LB's similar to Joey, Greg Lloyd, Lambert, you know it. The Steelers always have and always will have some trash talkers on their team, every team has it. It's just his way to get fired up and try to intimidate his opponent or maybe a better word is psyche them out. If he can get you focusing on him all day long or get your mind off your own game, he's won and it's to our advantage. Personally I like some trash talking on the field. Ive always liked Porter and he's been one of my favorites for a long time.

SteelerSal
01-28-2007, 02:30 PM
Hey all, let's remember one thing, regardless of how much Cowher liked Porter; if Harrison was that much better, don't you think he'd have been on the field more lately? Harrison is more injury prone than Porter is.

It was about money and popularity that Porter was on the field and not Harrison. When givin the opportunity, Harrison produced on the field.
And the injuries were while playing on sp. teams.

BlitzburghRockCity
01-28-2007, 02:32 PM
Doesn't matter if the injuries happened on ST or not, they still happened, just like Porters did on the field on Defense. Harrison is good, I personally love him on the field, but he's not better than Porter yet or he'd have been on the field more in situational opportunities. Sure Cowher had his favorites he always did; but Harrison had his turns on the field and he was good but not great.

SteelerDan43
01-28-2007, 04:32 PM
Be happy, at least Porter does it a clean way and not put any physical confrontation into the game. Hey it motivates and fires up the team when he runs his mouth. I certain other Steelers Players have done it. Hines Ward rarely, but I've seen him running his mouth and getting into the corner's heads. Troy does it, Faneca does it, Hartings does it, Ben does it, and the list goes on. Trash talking is a part of sports, and normally most of time after the game, they make up and everything is fine and dandy. I am cool with the trash talking. I've done more than my fair share and dominated opponents when I do it. I don't say anything unless I know I can dominate the enemy. Wrestling is one sports I dominated at. Football on the most part. Basketball also.

Undoubtedly it is a part of sports but should it be? The amount of unsportsmanlike conduct in sports is a major issue IMO and it is on the rise...

"I would rather win than have good sportsmanship."
-Allen Iverson

That represents everything that is wrong with sports. What ever happened to treating you opponent with respect. So you tell him your big and bad when your beating him then shut your mouth when he is the one doing the whippin? That just shouldnt be part of it. Thats not apart of doing things the right way. You dont beat someone 100-50. You get up big you call off the dogs, hell in our meet against Utica we swam the entire 2nd half of the meet exhibition because beating a team into the ground isnt doing things the right way. Talking, taking extra shots just isnt right. That doesnt mean you should beat the living crap out of your opponent...

"I think sportsmanship means that you should be able to go 100 miles an hour and hit someone in the face, as many times as you want to and be able to get up and shake him in the hand and stare him in the face when you're done with it."
-Jeff Lageman

"Good coaches teach respect for the opposition, love of competition, the value of trying your best, and how to win and lose graciously."
-Brooks Clark

Ok enough tirade on sportsmanship, I'll stop the hijacking