PDA

View Full Version : Will HARTINGS RETIRE

BlitzburghNation
01-27-2007, 08:31 PM
If so how do you guy's like his replacement ?
What do you think TOMLIN will do with our O-LINE ?
We all know Faneca is a shoe in ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, But what about !!!!!
Smith,simmons,starks & Hartings if he retire's ???????? :dunno:

K Train
01-27-2007, 08:40 PM
Smith, faneca, phillips, ?, Colon

right guard all depends on the draft

BlitzburghNation
01-27-2007, 08:43 PM
Smith, faneca, phillips, ?, Colon

right guard all depends on the draft

So you think Simmons is odd man out :dunno:

K Train
01-27-2007, 08:46 PM
damn the more i think about it the less sure i am, we have Chris K, Simmons, Essex, Phillips, Colon, Starks, Faneca, Smith....i like to think essex wasnt a comlete waste of a second round pick, colon is a beast, i dont know if starks will be back, the left side is locked up pretty good, phillips is a nasty mother****er, chris k has a mean streak, colon picks fights with everyone....if those 3 guys start next year we will have the meanest right side of an offensive line in the nfl

not to mention okobi.....damn we have a lot of lineman, and hartings might not call it quits

BlitzburghRockCity
01-27-2007, 08:47 PM
Smith
Faneca
Okobi
Kemoeatu
Starks or Colon

I'd almost be willing to bet money that will be our guys this year. Starks will have a fight on his hands because Colon is mean and hungry so that should be a good battle.

I really think Jeff should hang it up, the guy is a scrapper and tough as nails but he's got no knees left and Okobi is ready to step in. Simmons hasn't played well since his knee injury really so he's gotta be the odd man out at this point IMO.

BB2W
01-27-2007, 08:48 PM
I think Jeff will retire... and I'm not convinced Chucky Okobi or Marvin Philip is the answer. I wouldn't mind seeing them select one of the top centers in the draft.

K Train
01-27-2007, 08:51 PM
phillips looked good in preseason....idk theres no great centers this year like mangold, kalil, but he seems like a denver or atlanta type guy with the zone blocking, smaller oline

BlackGold4vr
01-27-2007, 08:58 PM
Faneca and Marvel Smith have been pretty good on the left side and that seemed to be the dominant side the Steelers liked to run behind. The right side of the line was more problematic. The play where Bart Scott nearly knocked Ben into next week he came from the right side untouched! Max Starks has played very inconsistently. He is a restricted free agent and I believe if someone offers him a big payday the Steelers will not match it. Willie Colon played well I thought considering he was a rookie and could replace Starks. Kendall Simmons I believe could still be good if he played between a new center and Willie Colon. I like Colon's feistiness! He comes from the Bronx and plays with an attitude. We have 2 other centers on the roster in Chucki Okobi and Marvin Philip but I have no idea if these guys are good enough to anchor a run oriented offensive line. I believe that we will draft an O-lineman in the first or second round. Ryan Kalil is the best center available and is projected to be a second rounder. Maybe the Steelers get a D-lineman in the first and a center in the second.

:cope:

BlitzburghRockCity
01-27-2007, 09:04 PM
I think we'll take an OL on day 1, although Im not sure it's a center. Chukki hasn't gotten enough playing time with the starters to really be able to judge how good he will be. Cowher was always hell bent on keeping his guys in until the last possible second and continued poor play, and he was a pro bowler I don't think Chukki could have unseated him no matter how well he played. I'd like to see him get in there, he's built similar to Mike Webster in his style of play and build so he could be something special for us; not that Im comparing him the great Mike Webster mind you.

Black@Gold Forever32
01-27-2007, 09:06 PM
Don't be suprised if Simmons is moved to center. Remember Jeff Hartings was a guard with the Lions but when he signed with the Steelers he was moved to center. So Simmons might end up at center. I'm sure we might see Simmons working at center at the start of camp.

As for Starks I don't know if somebody will sign him. They would have to give up a draft to do since he is a restricted free agent. As for Willie Colon if Starks is back (which I think he will be) then Colon might end up at RG. Some say he is a better fit at guard anyway.

The two wild cards in this is Chris Kemoeatu and Marvin Philip.

BlitzburghNation
01-27-2007, 09:12 PM
I think jeff will retire,,,,,,,,,,,Not sure about chuck :dunno:
I just can't seem to get manny ramirez outta my head and how great he would look in the black & gold :tt02:

K Train
01-27-2007, 09:12 PM
we really dont have any gaping holes this year, last year was a mess in general and i blame that on bens lack of staying healthy, and cowhers lack of motivation, the more i think about it the more i think that oline and linebackers arent really THAT big of a deal and we have no idea how this new coach is gonna draft. I think our roster is pretty much together, i really have no idea on how tomlin is gonna approach the draft this year, i dont think we go oline in the first, we would take blalock or brown, but i dont think that is our biggest issue because although inconsistant, last year our oline was dominate at times, and i think that can be credited to gameplan issues from cowher just not being into it anymore....idk, im over analyzing im gonna go cry now

BB2W
01-27-2007, 09:15 PM
I'm sure they kept Okobi around for a reason... so I wouldn't be suprised if he was good, but I wouldn't put all my stock into a guy who had career saving neck surgery six months ago.

BlitzburghRockCity
01-27-2007, 09:17 PM
If we didn't draft an OL in 2007 we could have a pretty darn good one made up of guys on our team already, just shake up the line up some and we could be golden. Of course that implies that everybody steps up their game, but overall I think this team would be foolish not to atleast address some depth at OL and LB early on.

K Train
01-27-2007, 09:17 PM
and what about essex in all of this? are we just giving up on him? no one has brought him up

BlitzburghRockCity
01-27-2007, 09:22 PM
Not at all, we have some really good potential on this team now at OL with Essex, Kemoeatu, Okobi, Colon. I like Chris K's aggressive attitude and mean streak similar to what Colon has, I think those 2 could make a formidable right side of the line. Essex did show some potential like he, Kemoeatu, and Colon, we need to see them play more before we can make a judgement call.

House of Steel
01-27-2007, 09:35 PM
Excellent points, guys. I think Jeff Hartings may have one more season in him and may come back thinking this could be yet another Super Bowl Season. We do have a core of guys that are capable of putting good protection for Ben and company.

My Starters:

Smith
Faneca
Hartings (Okobi [ This guy had neck surgery, I am not sold on him or his neck being healed] or Simmons will battle if Hartings retires)
Kemoeatu (Essex could fit into the puzzle here also, there is going to be a battle for this spot)
Colon (Starks being the odd man out)

Simmons, you have to give him a little slack cause he is diabetic and that has a tendency to make your body go whack. I will give him a little benefit of the doubt. I like our chances. I agree we need to get a Guard or Center on day 1 of the draft. We also need to look into a couple picks for the defense and secondary. A backup Running Back that can power his way for a few yards to give Willie some rest would be highly beneficial also, I see this in Day 2. We'll see. Excellent thread going here. You guys are really hitting the nail.

DIESELMAN
01-27-2007, 10:03 PM
Also who is the OL coach going to be? I heard we brought the guy from Buffalo in for an interview.

BB2W
01-27-2007, 10:18 PM
Also who is the OL coach going to be? I heard we brought the guy from Buffalo in for an interview.
Yeah, Larry Zierlein... He has coached with both Arians and Tomlin in the past. Who knows?

DIESELMAN
01-27-2007, 11:15 PM
I hope Harting's retires...one cuz of his knees and two so we don't cut him. The reason for that is he already took a pay cut as did Staley (hes gone) so if we cut Hartings what kind of message is that to other players to take a pay cut? Philips? we or Cowher must have liked him to carry 3 centers on the roster.....we don't need 3 C's, Chukki might get cut also :dunno: Colon will be a beast for us at T. Starks hasn't lived up to his potential yet, he could be a beast BUT how long are we going to wait? offer him a minimum tender to at least get a 3rd rd pick if someone does pick him up, I think he'll be with us a little longer. Time to get a replacement to get ready to take over for Simmons, he ain't getting any younger. We could probably make do with what we got especially if theres a chance of us reaching for a OL that isn't there. We need an OLB first....IMHO.

K Train
01-27-2007, 11:28 PM
phillips wasnt on the roster last year

and i want AT LEAST a second rounder for an offensive lineman that huge and that strong, the potential is all there for a 1st round compensation if he wasnt such a teddy bear. I dont think oline is that big of a need anymore seeing how much talent we have there already,

LT- Smith, Essex
LG- Faneca, Phillips
C- Okobi, Phillips
RG- Simmons, Keomatu
RT- Starks, Colon

Most of these guys are interchangable between all the postitions and if hartings comes back, theres more depth.

we all know cowher holds on to player because he cant let go, the players knew this and now they have to work extra hard, especially on the line because the only spot that is absolutly cemented is gonna be faneca, a new coach means these guys have something to prove and i hope the motivation helps us out as a whole, but OL and DB are gonna be some good battles this training camp.

K Train
01-28-2007, 12:09 AM
who got arrested lat year? the one on the bike during training camp....was he an olineman?

BB2W
01-28-2007, 12:12 AM
who got arrested lat year? the one on the bike during training camp....was he an olineman?
I think it was Barrett Brooks...

House of Steel
01-28-2007, 12:26 AM
It was most definitely Brooks.