PDA

View Full Version : Chris Rainey, the next goal line back?

BlitzburghRockCity
08-13-2012, 11:01 AM
Let's not get ahead of ourselves here, but he was taking snaps in camp in the goal line drills over the weekend and also played some against the Eagles. He's not a guy that you want pounding it up the middle like Redman or Dwyer but there's nobody that's getting to the outside quicker than this guy that's for sure.

Speedster running back Chris Rainey has shown the Steelers just about everything through 2 1/2 impressive weeks of his first NFL training camp.

But Rainey as a goal-line back? That was new.

The 5-9, 180-pound (and that's generous) rookie from Florida was getting the ball during the popular goal-line drills Sunday at practice.

To be fair, his participation in the drill was more out of necessity and a last-man-standing quality than anything else. Nagging injuries to Isaac Redman and Jonathan Dwyer kept them out of practice, and fellow back John Clay left the workout with a hip/groin injury.

That left Baron Batch and Rainey, who used his blazing speed to score a touchdown during the Steelers preseason loss at Philadelphia Thursday. But that, like most of his touchdowns at the University of Florida, was in the open field. Lining up at the 1 1/2-yard line behind a two-tight end set was different.

"Obviously, he doesn't fit the cookie-cutter of a man who runs in that situation, but he did a nice job today," coach Mike Tomlin said.

"We don't have him in the box, we really don't. He's done just about everything we've asked him to do and we'll continue to find ways and see if he's capable of doing things."

CBS Sports (http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/rapid-reports/post/19785623)

coldrolled
08-13-2012, 11:11 AM
He's not a guy that you want pounding it up the middle

Batch Either.

LatrobePA
08-13-2012, 11:12 AM
I like this kid..

K Train
08-13-2012, 11:25 AM
he might be a guy you want pounding it up the middle. Hes going to need good blocking but sneaky little guys can be good goal line backs with decent blockers in front. He has the ability to squeez in a tight spot or go over the top. Not gonna truck over LBs but theres been some successful backs around the goal line that arent exactly bruisers

BlitzburghRockCity
08-13-2012, 11:49 AM
I can see him flying over the line but can't see him pounding the ball anywhere..LOL

If they get good blocking and give him a toss on either side he can take off and outrun the pursuit.

Number99
08-13-2012, 12:33 PM
I think they need to bring in another camp body rb. Where's Chad Spann when you need him?

LatrobePA
08-13-2012, 12:36 PM
Change Legs to a FB! He's got the name, just change his #!

steelcitysfinestXL
08-13-2012, 12:59 PM
he might be a guy you want pounding it up the middle. Hes going to need good blocking but sneaky little guys can be good goal line backs with decent blockers in front. He has the ability to squeez in a tight spot or go over the top. Not gonna truck over LBs but theres been some successful backs around the goal line that arent exactly bruisers

I kinda see your point, a young LT comes to mind. Some guys just have a nose for the goaline. Either way, i'd love to see 1st and goal come out in 4 wide with Rainey as the lone back, lol!(Some Steelers fans would lose thier minds!!!) It will almost force a time out by the defense. If not, your gonna have GL personel for the defense trying to line up with a 4 wide set, run the draw or quick pass to the biggest mismatch! I digress... i see your point though: i really think the GL back duties will be an evolving process all year long.

K Train
08-13-2012, 01:02 PM
LT, bush, sproles, Westbrook, even Steve slaton during his short career were good around the goal line without being a bruiser

Hoosier
08-13-2012, 01:43 PM
LOL Good stuff. Baron and Chris are getting reps on the goal line because they are HEALTHY.

Real Deal Steel
08-13-2012, 02:40 PM
Rainey isn't going to be our goal line RB. Gzzzzz

strummerfan
08-13-2012, 03:48 PM
Batch Either.

Batch is 5'10 210-215 he'll be just fine up the middle.

LatrobePA
08-13-2012, 03:55 PM
Without key blocking no one is...

K Train
08-13-2012, 04:09 PM
batch is a nobody

coldrolled
08-13-2012, 04:32 PM
Ryan Lee up the middle LOL

ChucktownSteeler
08-13-2012, 04:35 PM
I'd have a better chance being the goal line back than Rainey. He weighs in at about 178 lbs. Maybe he takes a toss and races everyone to the pylon, but that's about it.

Thin at RB again, may need to bring some bodies in. Clay hurt now.

C-town

Big T
08-13-2012, 05:10 PM
Batch is 5'10 210-215 he'll be just fine up the middle.

The man couldn't punch it in against the eagles camp bodies. No thanks.

strummerfan
08-13-2012, 05:23 PM
The man couldn't punch it in against the eagles camp bodies. No thanks.

Did you actually pay attention to the blocking in front of him?

Wait, I already know the answer.

K Train
08-13-2012, 05:29 PM
I'd have a better chance being the goal line back than Rainey. He weighs in at about 178 lbs. Maybe he takes a toss and races everyone to the pylon, but that's about it.

Thin at RB again, may need to bring some bodies in. Clay hurt now.

C-town
goal line backs dont need to be 250 pounds, they need to find the endzone. If rainey can do that then theres no problems. If you have to account for the toss SO much with a guy like rainey, he may just be able to squeeze in up the middle just as easy.

Real Deal Steel
08-13-2012, 05:30 PM
goal line backs dont need to be 250 pounds, they need to find the endzone. If rainey can do that then theres no problems. If you have to account for the toss SO much with a guy like rainey, he may just be able to squeeze in up the middle just as easy.

K-Train...stop. Rainey isn't going to be our goal line RB. That's ridiculous.

ChucktownSteeler
08-13-2012, 05:32 PM

He may get in every now and then, but I hope we don't have to depend on him pounding the rock. All kidding aside, the kid is fast as lightning, but just don't have the girth to be an every down back running up the middle. His niche will be K/Os, punts, and coming out of the backfield. Maybe an occasional gimmick play.

He is very exciting to watch and I wish him well.

C-town

K Train
08-13-2012, 05:35 PM
im not saying he is, but the reps sure as hell dont hurt. Im just saying guys like rainey can be useful around the goal line. When you are on the 1 yard line and have brandon jacobs, or michael bush, or even redman the defense clearly knows what you are doing. (whether or not that should matter is irrelevant, it shouldnt but it seems to at very inoppotune times of not getting a good push by the oline). Reggie Bush is a phenom around the endzone, not because hes super huge and powerful but because hes versatile with a nose for the endzone whether it be up the middle or at the corner.

LatrobePA
08-13-2012, 05:36 PM
I could be a GL RB with the right blocking.

K Train
08-13-2012, 05:38 PM
thats pretty much what im saying. I remember westbrook was amazing around the goal line, he was 5-8 but always found the endzone because of the mammoths he had blocking for him

ChucktownSteeler
08-13-2012, 05:38 PM

I already claimed it. LOL

steelcitysfinestXL
08-13-2012, 05:48 PM
I still think our best bet for a goaline back is Mendenhall, when healthy. He's proven to be as effective as anyone else on our roster: he has the speed and vision to bounce outside. He has enough power to plunge through the line and he has the feet to sidestep and explode up field. I DID like Redman's 4 and 1 run last week. He showed ability to find a hole and get yardage by side stepping and getting upfield! Im saying i dont think we are going to see one dedicated "goal line back". I could make a case for Redman, Dwyer and Rainey getting chances in all different looks and formations at the goaline. Its really going to depend on how the line executes and that MUST improve!!!

ChucktownSteeler
08-13-2012, 06:25 PM
I have no problem with Mendenhall near the goal line. He has done a good job.

connecticutsteel
08-13-2012, 06:57 PM
Any back we have can be a goal line back clearly Clay has the size but it's not about the back it's about the execution

LatrobePA
08-13-2012, 08:15 PM
I already claimed it. LOL

Lol...

HUNT4SEVEN
08-13-2012, 09:04 PM
LOL Good stuff. Baron and Chris are getting reps on the goal line because they are HEALTHY.

And because the others guys are hurt, i'm all for Rainey/Batch being the goal line backs as long as they score:tt02:

Real Deal Steel
08-13-2012, 09:33 PM
I have no problem with Mendenhall near the goal line. He has done a good job.

Might be a good way to ease Mendy back in the flow of things too.

K Train
08-14-2012, 09:33 AM
i was watching rainey's touches and some other highlights of him again, the thing i love most about him is there is virtually no wasted movement when he runs. So decisive and smooth

steelcitysfinestXL
08-14-2012, 09:35 AM
i was watching rainey's touches and some other highlights of him again, the thing i love most about him is there is virtually no wasted movement when he runs. So decisive and smooth

Sounds like a good short yardage back to me!!! lol

K Train
08-14-2012, 09:40 AM
one thing to think about, since the interior line has been upgraded so much the steelers should be able to do a lot of different things. When i was talking about getting a guard (no way i thought it would be decastro) i cited how the saints offense works. They have barely average tackles and stud guards, still good with grubbs but amazing with nicks and evans. That allowed them to really use sproles in an amazing way, but it also allowed them to attack the seam more than any other team with graham and colston. Would not surprise me to see more of that with improved interior blocking

steelcitysfinestXL
08-14-2012, 09:53 AM
to camp onto that: Brees is all of 5'9'' and STILL has huge success passing down the seams!!! Thats because the interior pass pro makes rediculous passing lanes to reach the seams. With Ben showing a willingness to step up in the pocket (instead of breaking outside) in the first drive, i can see our offense having more success in the areas you mentioned!

ChucktownSteeler
08-14-2012, 12:15 PM
Drew Brees is listed at 6' 0".

Big T
08-14-2012, 12:54 PM
to camp onto that: Brees is all of 5'9'' and STILL has huge success passing down the seams!!! Thats because the interior pass pro makes rediculous passing lanes to reach the seams. With Ben showing a willingness to step up in the pocket (instead of breaking outside) in the first drive, i can see our offense having more success in the areas you mentioned!

Ya Drew Brees is just barely 6'0", but your point is still valid haha.

steelcitysfinestXL
08-14-2012, 01:38 PM
Lol listed at 6'0 means he's 5'10 on a good day lol!!! T gets my point, even if he is 6' that's pretty short for an NFL qb esp one who is soooo successful!!!

Steelerlyn
08-14-2012, 02:25 PM
I agree!~