PDA

View Full Version : Steelers' DeCastro struggling physically

jpele
08-07-2012, 11:05 AM
http://m.espn.go.com/general/blogs/blogpost?blogname=afcnorth&id=51983

DeCastro failed to beat Foster for the starting RG spot. This should turn into an interesting battle and a good situation for the Steelers

FlatsSteeler
08-07-2012, 11:11 AM
If Ramon Foster is beating out D. DeCastro for RG then the optimistic view I have for the O-line is gone.....I am hoping this is printed to light a fire under DeCastro's butt.......Plug in R Foster and I read where Adams isn't ready to start you have the same old O-Line that Sucked big time in the past.......

K Train
08-07-2012, 11:11 AM
its somewhat surprising but not really alarming. Hes a 6-5 guard that could overpower people in college, now hes gotta learn leveraging better being he is so tall. I think some real time game action will do him wonders

K Train
08-07-2012, 11:12 AM
If Ramon Foster is beating out D. DeCastro for RG then the optimistic view I have for the O-line is gone.....I am hoping this is printed to light a fire under DeCastro's butt.......Plug in R Foster and I read where Adams isn't ready to start you have the same old O-Line that Sucked big time in the past.......

adams has been very impressive at LT and is slated to start. Max starks has been very helpful to adams

FlatsSteeler
08-07-2012, 11:17 AM
I hope on hope that is true KTrain.....LT is critical for Us this season......Adams could be the stud we have been looking for.....All I meant was some friends at Latrobe told me Adams was struggling....

Big T
08-07-2012, 11:21 AM
DeCastro will be starting week 1. No worries here...

FlatsSteeler
08-07-2012, 12:25 PM
DeCastro will be starting week 1. No worries here...

I tend to agree.......

Black@Gold Forever32
08-07-2012, 12:51 PM
DeCastro had some struggles early on but then I read he was stoning people the other day.........If I remember correctly Faneca didn't start until week 4 or 5 of his rookie year......

KemoTherapy
08-07-2012, 02:03 PM
DeCastro is what, 22 years old?, and coming from a school where he was a true student athlete who wasn`t taking basket weaving courses. He has plenty of space on his frame to add muscle and I`m sure in the long run he`ll be okay. His current strong suit is in his movement skills, the power will come.

scudmissile29
08-07-2012, 02:10 PM
I wouldn't be suprised if DeCastro, Luck and the others from Stanford turn out to be busts. It's only fitting.

Luck's going to be a big bust. way too many expectations.

I'm hoping DeCastro won't, he's a rookie big deal, he's getting use to the league.

I do wonder why he fell though.

SuperSteelers
08-07-2012, 02:36 PM
DeCastro is what, 22 years old?, and coming from a school where he was a true student athlete who wasn`t taking basket weaving courses. He has plenty of space on his frame to add muscle and I`m sure in the long run he`ll be okay. His current strong suit is in his movement skills, the power will come.

DeCastro better hurry up and get some gear in him if he wants to hang with the big boys. I hope he doesn't think he can compete in this league being clean.

K Train
08-07-2012, 03:16 PM
I wouldn't be suprised if DeCastro, Luck and the others from Stanford turn out to be busts. It's only fitting.

Luck's going to be a big bust. way too many expectations.

I'm hoping DeCastro won't, he's a rookie big deal, he's getting use to the league.

I do wonder why he fell though.
jonathan martin is the only stanford player that sucks and was overdrafted. Decastro and luck will be top 5 at their respective positions. you are just trying to stir things up, they are two of the soundest prospects ive ever seen.

DeCastro better hurry up and get some gear in him if he wants to hang with the big boys. I hope he doesn't think he can compete in this league being clean.
lol people are never happy.

decastro did 34 reps, its not a strength issue. he was overpowering people with his arms in college, hes gotta refine his game a bit....easing him into a dominant player is fine, the man is going to be an incredible player

connecticutsteel
08-07-2012, 03:37 PM
This thred is rediculous .Pouncey didn't lock in until the third pre season game Mr Personality as his teammate call him will be fine

Goodfrom55
08-07-2012, 04:34 PM
Big transition, DeCastrate will be fine.

But, Foster is not that bad of a lineman; I like him at RG. If DeCastro is better, he should play. If he is not, he shouldn't. I'm glad Foster is pushing him

Black@Gold Forever32
08-07-2012, 05:01 PM
The Great Alan Faneca didn't start until week 4 or 5 of his rookie season.....

K Train
08-07-2012, 05:11 PM
andy levitre and carl nicks (both top 5 guards) were awful their rookie year. Id expect him to be better than awful, but b@g32 is right faneca saw very limited playing time as a rookie early on and only got on the field because of injuries

Black@Gold Forever32
08-07-2012, 05:44 PM
andy levitre and carl nicks (both top 5 guards) were awful their rookie year. Id expect him to be better than awful, but b@g32 is right faneca saw very limited playing time as a rookie early on and only got on the field because of injuries

I think DeCastro is going to be better then Alan Faneca......Faneca was a great run blocker and perfect fit for Cowher's power running offense...Faneca wasn't the most elite pass protector..........

K Train
08-07-2012, 05:54 PM
Heres a great write up on him as a scouting report. Theres no doubt in my mind he will be a better player than faneca. It might take some time but whenever you watch him play at any level you just see a man that plays with everything he has

Strengths:
• Possesses prototypical size and bulk
• Terrific strength and plays with power
• Aggressive and plays w/ nasty demeanor
• Gets an excellent push in the run game
• Stout at the point to anchor in pass pro
• Mobile enough to pull and work in space
• Is polished and utilizes sound technique
• Smart with nice instincts and awareness
• Extremely tough and was very durable
• Competitive w/ great work ethic and drive
• Lots of experience versus top competition

Weaknesses:
• Average athleticism, agility, quickness
• Does not physically dominate opponents
• Tends to reach and lose balance at times
• Does not have ideal arm length (32ĺ)
• Overall upside may be relatively limited

Injury History:
• None of Consequence

Notes:
A three-year starter for the Cardinal --- Named 1st Team All-Pac-10/12 in 2010 and 2011 --- A consensus All-American in 2011 --- Started 39 consecutive games at right guard --- Also won a state champion in the shot put in high school --- A well-rounded, blue-collar blocker with an ideal blend of physical tools and intangibles who profiles as an immediate starter and perennial Pro Bowler at the next level --- One of the best offensive guard prospects to come along in recent years and has drawn favorable comparisons to everyone from Alan Faneca to Steve Hutchinson --- Projects as a legitimate Top 15-20 overall pick.

NFL Player Comparison: Steve Hutchinson

http://www.draftcountdown.com/ScoutingReports/OG/David-DeCastro.php

Real Deal Steel
08-07-2012, 05:58 PM
Decastro is getting it taken to him because he's a first round pick. As he should. He will earn everything he gets. As it should be. He'll be more then fine when he starts. Right now, he's getting forged in STEEL!!!!!!!!!!

GO STEELERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!

Black@Gold Forever32
08-07-2012, 06:09 PM
DeCastro was my favorite player in this past draft from a Steelers need perspective.........So I was more then thrilled when he fell on draft day.....Mike Adams falling to the 2nd was just as awesome.....

BlitzburghRockCity
08-07-2012, 06:27 PM
None of us should be concerned with this. As he stated to Ben the other day, he's got the mental part but the physical part is what he's learning. That shows he's intelligent enough to grasp what's needed but learning how to deal with guys much bigger and stronger takes time.

steelcitysfinestXL
08-07-2012, 06:51 PM
FWIW, Jim Wexell Tweeted today he blocked McClendon on every play in head up matches in the two minute drill. I don't read too much into these tweet updates but I guess it's a good sign because all the tweets so far have said how dominant McClendon has been.

LatrobePA
08-07-2012, 06:56 PM
FWIW, Jim Wexell Tweeted today he blocked McClendon on every play in head up matches in the two minute drill. I don't read too much into these tweet updates but I guess it's a good sign because all the tweets so far have said how dominant McClendon has been.

Agreed..

Goodfrom55
08-07-2012, 07:15 PM
Once he learns how to use leverage a little more and better legal use of his hands to influence a defender, he wil lbe fine. . .

And before Polamalu was a living legend, wasn't he "Bustamalu" to some? Only significant difference between 1st round picks and other round picks is money. There might be slight differences in ability, but you typically don't stay in the NFL if you suck.

ChucktownSteeler
08-07-2012, 07:33 PM
No worries, it will take a little time.

Black@Gold Forever32
08-07-2012, 07:54 PM

For every tweet/report I have read about DeCastro struggling I also read a tweet about him stoning somebody......So I'm not worried...He is going to have his moments when he is a beast and some were he gets beat this year period.....He is a rookie........I expect him in his third year to be the best OG in football.....

Number99
08-07-2012, 08:07 PM
Even a struggling DeCastro isn't as bad as a dopey looking Kemo.

K Train
08-07-2012, 08:22 PM
twitter makes people overreact. its drill by drill updates, but the overall body of work day to day hes improving

jpele
08-07-2012, 09:09 PM
As I said in the first post, this is a good thing. In no way is Foster a bum he will only make DeCastro that much better

The Lakelander
08-08-2012, 03:10 PM
According to the Beaver County Times, Steelers rookie RG David DeCastro "hasnít exactly been a camp sensation."
DeCastro has yet to unseat incumbent Ramon Foster, and admitted to quarterback Ben Roethlisberger he's struggling with the physical aspect of the NFL game. The Steelers didn't take the rare step of using a first-round pick on a guard to have him sit on the sideline, but it sounds like DeCastro is going to need every preseason rep he can get in preparation for Week 1.

It's early but this is expected ... the leap to the NFL is a hefty one ...

We all tend to project our hopes on the #1 picks far too early ...

My hunch is that DeCastro will ultimately be a reserve early on and find his way into the game-day lineup through the alternative course of action ... nicks, dings and injuries above him on the depth charts ...

LatrobePA
08-08-2012, 03:16 PM
http://www.steeleraddicts.com/forum/showthread.php?35946-Steelers-DeCastro-struggling-physically

Big T
08-08-2012, 09:00 PM
It's early but this is expected ... the leap to the NFL is a hefty one ...

We all tend to project our hopes on the #1 picks far too early ...

My hunch is that DeCastro will ultimately be a reserve early on and find his way into the game-day lineup through the alternative course of action ... nicks, dings and injuries above him on the depth charts ...

DeCastro will seize the starting job by the start of the regular season and he will never look back. Take that to the bank. The starting job wasn't given to Pouncey until the 3rd preseason game. I see a similar path for DeCastro.

connecticutsteel
08-09-2012, 12:49 AM
He will be ready to ball week 1

FlatsSteeler
08-09-2012, 04:55 AM
Baring injuries DD66 will start game 1 and never look back......

BlitzburghRockCity
08-10-2012, 05:19 PM
If last night was any indication of the future of DeCastro then I'm pretty content so far. He's struggling physically yeah, but watching him last night in his first action he had some good moments too.

I think we'll see him start to really take control at training camp now that he's gotten a taste of game situations at the pro level.

LatrobePA
08-10-2012, 05:25 PM
He made some nice run blocks, I'm OK with him..

ChucktownSteeler
08-10-2012, 06:28 PM
I think he starts week 1, no doubt.

86WARD
08-10-2012, 06:31 PM
Last night looked more
Mental than physical.

HUNT4SEVEN
08-11-2012, 11:08 PM
Decastro is getting it taken to him because he's a first round pick. As he should. He will earn everything he gets. As it should be. He'll be more then fine when he starts. Right now, he's getting forged in STEEL!!!!!!!!!!

GO STEELERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!

I agree that's a EXCELLENT break down of Decastro, He has to get a lil attitude adjustment ( Mr.Personality ) as he is called by team mates...