PDA

View Full Version : Case of the Johnson's for the Steelers at FB

BlitzburghRockCity
08-03-2012, 11:05 AM
David Johnson or Will Johnson, both are fullbacks in Todd Haley's new offense in Pittsburgh. So far from what I've seen in camp, DJ has been getting tossed around like a rag doll from Woodley and other linebackers in pass rush drills, 11 on 11, etc. To his credit he has made some plays too and has experience on his side.

Will Johnson from WVU is making a strong case and I wouldn't be shocked to see him make the team. I can't see them carrying 2 at that position. DJ's roster spot is far some safe at this point, but it's still early in camp and preseason hasn't started yet so things could change either way.

BTW, sorry about that thread title, it just hit me when I was thinking about this thread so I ran with it :lol: :duh:

LatrobePA
08-03-2012, 11:31 AM
What about their brother Harry??

BlitzburghRockCity
08-03-2012, 01:01 PM
And their brother Daryl, and their other brother Daryl :lol:

I think DJ has to be careful this year, he hasn't had much competition for a roster spot until now. Between Pope, Saunders, McCoy and now Will Johnson at FB he's going to have to watch himself.

coldrolled
08-03-2012, 02:06 PM
85 will be in Indy by Mid August.. My prediction.

BlitzburghRockCity
08-03-2012, 05:39 PM
Kirby Wilson: "Fullback is defintely a big part of this offense. You got a lead blocker now." - JoeStarkey

- From BRC's Droid Bionic of Awesomeness

strummerfan
08-03-2012, 05:42 PM
And their brother Daryl, and their other brother Daryl :lol:

I think DJ has to be careful this year, he hasn't had much competition for a roster spot until now. Between Pope, Saunders, McCoy and now Will Johnson at FB he's going to have to watch himself.

From the reports I've read it doesn't seem that Pope is that much of a threat and more than likely not guaranteed a roster spot. Personally I would like to see WJ because of his speed and athleticism.

HUNT4SEVEN
08-03-2012, 07:57 PM
85 will be in Indy by Mid August.. My prediction.

:crossfingers: Hopefully

LatrobePA
08-03-2012, 08:00 PM
My question is: If this new offense is using a FB type lead blocker why in the f are we trying to use a slob worthless TE?? why not sign a true FB???

BlitzburghRockCity
08-04-2012, 01:05 AM
Will Johnson got more work tonight. If this keeps up, DJ's days are numbered.

- From BRC's Droid Bionic of Awesomeness

Big T
08-04-2012, 01:15 AM
David Johnson has actually been a good blocker for us. He's ****** at everything else but he can block. He's "stout" lol...

Backs-on-‘backers: Tomlin doesn't permit the goalline drill that was the calling card of these annual Friday night festivities under predecessor Bill Cowher, so the physical highlight of his camp night out is when RBs collide with LBs. TE turned FB David Johnson dominated. “A stout man. Stout,” Tomlin said. “D.J. was the star.” Interestingly, Johnson still wears No. 85, meaning he'll either be an H-back come the regular season, revert to TE or change numbers to become a full-time FB.

http://www.cbssports.com/general/blog/nfl-rapidreports/19722850/steelers-quick-hits-training-camp-day-8

BlitzburghRockCity
08-04-2012, 09:51 AM
It's interesting to hear the different takes you get from coaches vs what you get from media. Johnson has been a decent, not great, blocker before and he still is now. If he does make the team it will be because of that and his experience in pass routes too. I've just heard a lot of good things about Will Johnson, he's a sleeper but if the Steelers really want to shake things up then maybe WJ gets the nod over DJ.

Watching DJ last year try and block as a FB just never really gave me that much confidence; perhaps part of is was Arians though but still.

strummerfan
08-04-2012, 10:38 AM
My question is: If this new offense is using a FB type lead blocker why in the f are we trying to use a slob worthless TE?? why not sign a true FB???

Because the only people that a "true fullback" is important to are fans.

BlitzburghRockCity
08-06-2012, 03:54 PM
Bouchette was saying in his chat today that he thinks the FB job is still DJ's and that Will makes the PS. I'm really hoping Will gets the job though, just kinda pulling for this kid.

LatrobePA
08-06-2012, 04:21 PM
Because the only people that a "true fullback" is important to are fans.

And the RB but hey a converted TE will work f it...

Real Deal Steel
08-06-2012, 04:44 PM
Upgrade on the O-line and a FB leading, I'm getting a comforting sense for the prospects of our running game.

BlitzburghRockCity
08-08-2012, 03:56 PM
If you heard Tomlin's presser yesterday before practice, he was asked about how the fullback competition is going and DJ's move from tight end. He stated that the coaches haven't fully made up their mind yet on the move of David Johnson from TE to strictly FB. He mentions that they like his versatility being able to play both positions and that we'll see him play TE during preseason too.

If Johnson makes this team it will be because he can play both positions but so help me if they cut Will in favor of David on on just the fullback position then something is wrong. Why do people think DJ is this great lead blocker? It's not like he's decleating a linebacker or blowing open a hole like Danny Kreider or Timmy Lester used too.

If Will proves to be the better blocker then he should make the team, period. If you want to keep DJ around as a backup to both positions then so be it especially after Saunders gets back from his suspension.

strummerfan
08-08-2012, 04:47 PM
He didn't say anything like they haven't made up their mind yet. He said his position flexibility is an asset and that they were going to work him more at TE once they returned from Philly. THere are going to be some upset Steeler fans when they finally figure out we won't be pounding the ball out of the I over and over again.

coldrolled
08-08-2012, 06:49 PM
Stummer: I think most of just want to pound the rock for three yards when we need three yards and not sweat it to much.
More than just run more...

Running more is not an answer... Running with solid results is key here. Haley will not be running more just to run..

More Play Action, Shorter Routes and the no huddle will be the difference during the season this year on offense....

BlitzburghRockCity
08-09-2012, 02:37 PM
During that presser he was asked about DJ and he said they hadn't made a full decision on exclusively moving David to FB and not playing TE.

Pounding the rock is one thing, anybody can do that..we want to be a team that pounds it effectively and actually gains positive yards every time we run it. No more of this Minus 2 , Minus 1, Plus 5 merry go round running game.

strummerfan
08-09-2012, 06:13 PM
Pounding the rock is one thing, anybody can do that..we want to be a team that pounds it effectively and actually gains positive yards every time we run it. No more of this Minus 2 , Minus 1, Plus 5 merry go round running game.

Solid results from the running game has more to do with an Offensive line that can block consistently more than anything else.