PDA

View Full Version : Who's your 5th WR for the Steelers?

BlitzburghRockCity
08-02-2012, 10:28 AM
Let's assume for the sake of argument that eventually Mike Wallace shows up. Antonio Brown, Emmanuel Sanders, Jerricho Cotchery, make up the first 4 but who is the 5th? So far in camp, although only a week old, nobody is taking charge of that position very much says Ed Bouchette (https://plus.sites.post-gazette.com/index.php/pro-sports/steelers):

--- A fifth (including Mike Wallace) wide receiver has not yet emerged. None of the players behind Wallace, Antonio Brown, Emmanuel Sanders and Jerricho Cotchery have done enough to separate themselves. There is at least one opening and itís there for anyone to grab. At the moment, rookie Toney Clemons might have the slightest of edges.

--- The longer Wallace stays away, the more the Steelers will contemplate signing a veteran receiver, maybe someone such as Kevin Curtis, who is 34 and has been out of football for a year. Plaxico Burress, I was told, wants too much money.

Are you happy if Toney Clemons makes that final roster spot or do you want a veteran instead, regardless of when Wallace eventually shows?

K Train
08-02-2012, 10:32 AM
i would have liked moss, TO, or Plax for the vet min but i would be ok with clemons as #5...hes got more potential than lets say a tyler grisham, dallas baker, or sean morey

JensK
08-02-2012, 10:49 AM
I'm all for Tony Clemons getting a chance. I believe the guy has a chance to be a legitimate contributer to the team.

fogdoctor
08-02-2012, 10:57 AM
Clemons needs to be on the roster unless he is so bad that he gets cut. If he shows any potential he has to be on the roster. I dont want to see a player like Arnaz Battle taking up a developmental roster spot just because he has experience.

LatrobePA
08-02-2012, 11:01 AM
Clemons... Or Plax, I think he could fit this new system very well...

Black@Gold Forever32
08-02-2012, 12:08 PM
i would have liked moss, TO, or Plax for the vet min but i would be ok with clemons as #5...hes got more potential than lets say a tyler grisham, dallas baker, or sean morey

This pretty much sums up my thoughts as well.........I'm rooting for Clemons and hope he does make the team but it would be awesome to have Plax back....I always liked Burress.........I do think he has something left.......

Real Deal Steel
08-02-2012, 12:22 PM
I'm all for Tony Clemons getting a chance. I believe the guy has a chance to be a legitimate contributer to the team.

I hope like hell it's Clemons. His height/speed ratio is something we don't have on this team.

connecticutsteel
08-02-2012, 12:59 PM
Clemons isn't that tall only 6'1" we need someone 6'3" or better only my opinion maybe Cox lol

K Train
08-02-2012, 01:04 PM
Clemons isn't that tall only 6'1" we need someone 6'3" or better only my opinion maybe Cox lol

why?

most 6-3+ WRs are terrible

steelcitysfinestXL
08-02-2012, 01:43 PM
Call me crazy but I'd rather have 5 rbs, 4 wrs and 3 tes, here me out: I'd carry Mende, Dwyer, Redman, Batch and Rainey. Mendenhall will be coming off of injury so we may be down to 4 for the first 6 weeks if they put him on the PUP list. IMO you have 2 legitimate 5th WR options in Heath and Rainey and maybe a third when Saunders returns. I would not leave a roster spot for a 5th WR like Clemons if it cost me losing batch or Rainey! Plus I don't think your in any danger of losing Clemons by putting him on the PS. Rainey or Batch would leave on waivers before they even hit our PS. So my answer is Chris Rainey

BlitzburghRockCity
08-02-2012, 01:47 PM
Call me crazy but I'd rather have 5 rbs, 4 wrs and 3 tes, here me out: I'd carry Mende, Dwyer, Redman, Batch and Rainey. Mendenhall will be coming off of injury so we may be down to 4 for the first 6 weeks if they put him on the PUP list. IMO you have 2 legitimate 5th WR options in Heath and Rainey and maybe a third when Saunders returns. I would leave a roster spot for a 5th WR like Clemons if it cost me losing batch or Rainey! Plus I don't think your in any danger of losing Clemons by putting him on the PS. Rainey or Batch would leave on waivers before they even hit our PS. So my answer is Chris Rainey

I'm with ya on the 3 TE's, and I'm cool with the 5 RB's. You can put Clay on the PS too if you want any more insurance. 4 WR's though, the only thing about that is how much they actually will use the TE's. If it's like a 5th WR and they get more than just a couple looks here and there per game then it's not a bad idea. If you say with the traditional use of them then 5 WR's is better. It's not that far fetched of an idea at all. You'd certainly keep a couple guys on the PS too in case of injury.

K Train
08-02-2012, 01:49 PM
i actually would like to keep rainey over clemons if it came down to that for sure. im still meh on batch though

connecticutsteel
08-02-2012, 02:03 PM
Rainey will make the roster as a running back. As much as i would have liked to see dwyer play i think they like Batch better so IMO it will be Batch,Redman,Rainey,Mendenhall Clay on PS . Dwyer would have been cut last year but Batch's injury prevented it

greg1964
08-02-2012, 06:04 PM
Unless he (whoever) plays special teams, he (whoever) will not see the field. Brown, Sanders, J.C., Wallace, anlong with a TE (Miller) if they need 5 receivers at one time. If Wallace signs before final cuts, Maze could make the 53 man roster. If Wallace hold outs Clemons could make it.

steelcitysfinestXL
08-02-2012, 06:13 PM
I highly doubt they are going to cut Dwyer... besides Redman he has the most NFL experience in our backfield (which aint much). I really think they carry 4 plus mendenhall on the pup to start the season. Rainey will make the team as a RB but i think he or Heath are better options in a 5 WR set than anyone else we have.

Black@Gold Forever32
08-02-2012, 06:55 PM
Rainey will make the team but I could see him being used more as a WR then a RB......Its going to be interesting to see how Haley uses Rainey.....

Cricker24
08-02-2012, 07:48 PM
I'm going with Clemons as #5, but I wouldn't be shocked if someone like Maze or Williams sneaks in. I highly doubt the Steelers will consider Plax because word is he wants too much $$. Dwyer will make the team and the final RB spot will come down to Batch or Clay. My prediction is Batch makes it because they were super high on him last year before he tore his ACL. Regardless, this is going to be an exciting training camp/preseason.

Chris :tt02:

Zachintosh66
08-02-2012, 09:06 PM
Clemons vs D. Williams

Unless they keep both Batch n Rainey...

ChucktownSteeler
08-02-2012, 09:21 PM
Clemons may be on PS. I wouldn't mind picking up Plax if the price was right.

86WARD
08-02-2012, 09:34 PM
Clemons.

connecticutsteel
08-03-2012, 02:22 AM
Keep in mind Batch and Clay are under contract Dwyer is an free agent next year and is replacable

Real Deal Steel
08-03-2012, 09:12 AM
You really talk like batch is better then Dwyer. And he isn't. Batch is a change of pace back on third downs. That's what Batch is at best. And Rainey may take that position anyway. Batch is the one in danger. Not Dwyer. Dwyer has an overall better skill set then Mendenhall. And he will put that on full display this coming season.

K Train
08-03-2012, 10:18 AM
You really talk like batch is better then Dwyer. And he isn't. Batch is a change of pace back on third downs. That's what Batch is at best. And Rainey may take that position anyway. Batch is the one in danger. Not Dwyer. Dwyer has an overall better skill set then Mendenhall. And he will put that on full display this coming season.

batch has excellent measurable and determination but i agree with you, he fits a 3rd down back profile to a T. Good hands and great explosion could make him an asset

that being said dwyer does not have better skills than mendenhall, he played in a gimmicky triple option as a FB and comes in overweight all the time by a lot (hes still faster than redman with 30 pounds extra on him though) I have high hopes for dwyer, i had him as a solid second round back but we got him in 6 so he is very talented but hes got a lot to prove this year..

i also think rainey makes the teams because hes an KR/PR/RB/WR and is just an all around weapon. Id feel very comfortable with him as a #5 WR, get him the ball in space and its all over

LatrobePA
08-03-2012, 10:28 AM
i also think rainey makes the teams because hes an KR/PR/RB/WR and is just an all around weapon. Id feel very comfortable with him as a #5 WR, get him the ball in space and its all over

This:

Real Deal Steel
08-03-2012, 10:32 AM
Your wrong K-Train

Just because you haven't seen enough of Dwyer to know. Dwyer didn't have the work ethic aspect down. But his overall skill set is better then Mendenhall's. Mendenhall STILL struggles with patience and then exploding through holes, making those spin moves when there is no need to, and making people miss. Dwyer is better in all three of those aspects then Mendenhall. And now that Dwyer is finally in shape, you'll have a chance to see it on full display because he's going to ultimately beat Redman out for the starting job. Book it.

Rainey does too much NOT to be on the team. I forsee a serious third down time share between Rainey and Batch. May the best man win.

Real Deal Steel
08-03-2012, 10:42 AM
Reminds me of the Texans:

" We need to go draft Ben Tate because I don't think that Foster kid will be any good because he got hurt the first year he was here. " Hahahahahahahahahahaha.

K Train
08-03-2012, 10:49 AM
Your wrong K-Train

Just because you haven't seen enough of Dwyer to know. Dwyer didn't have the work ethic aspect down. But his overall skill set is better then Mendenhall's. Mendenhall STILL struggles with patience and then exploding through holes, making those spin moves when there is no need to, and making people miss. Dwyer is better in all three of those aspects then Mendenhall. And now that Dwyer is finally in shape, you'll have a chance to see it on full display because he's going to ultimately beat Redman out for the starting job. Book it.

Rainey does too much NOT to be on the team. I for see a serious third down time share between Rainey and Batch. May the best man win.

im not wrong lol, ive watched dwyer for years, ive seen plenty....hes good, hes a big back with a little wiggle to him and some great speed for a big guy. Najeh Davenport comes to mind when you watch dwyer, you dont usually see a big man with those kind of feet but hes not exactly a bruiser for his size either.

I had him mocked to us in the 3rd round that year, trust me im a dwyer supporter and very much pro dwyer over redman but his "skill set" is not as good as you are making it sound. He has had a handful of carries and yes one was like 70 yards but theres no way hes better than mendenhall. Mendenhall is by far the best back on the roster, his struggle with patience might have been something to do with running behind the likes of sean mahan, justin hartwig, trai essex, doug legursky, and darnell stapleton as members of his interior oline for the majority of his career. Ive never seen a player get steam rolled like harwig, he hasnt played in 2 years and hes still #1 in sacks given up for centers over the last 5...mendenhalls patience was never in question when he was running to the right side behind either colon or flozell, where he was spectacular. People hate mendhall because he isnt bettis, but hes the best runner, blocker, receiver (even though they never throw him the ball he was a GREAT receiving back at illinois) i really hope he gets to show his stuff behind this oline, he deserves that at least.

but in the mean time im 100% in support of dwyer taking as many carries away from redman as humanly possible

K Train
08-03-2012, 10:52 AM
Reminds me of the Texans:

" We need to go draft Ben Tate because I don't think that Foster kid will be any good because he got hurt the first year he was here. " Hahahahahahahahahahaha.

whats so funny about that? they run an extremely run friendly system with there ZBS and arian foster was an UDFA that no one knew about, tate is supremely talented especially for that kind of scheme....they could both put up 1000 yard seasons kinda like mike anderson and tatum bell that year in denver

fogdoctor
08-03-2012, 02:28 PM
Rainey is a dead lock to make the team. If they keep Clemons as a WR then he will take a RB spot.

Rainey is getting a tons of snaps at RB and is getting reps at slot so he will be on the team.

Ibleedblk&gld
08-03-2012, 02:38 PM
I'm absolutely ecstatic to see rainey and clemons on thursday..

steelcitysfinestXL
08-03-2012, 02:41 PM
im not wrong lol...

I had him mocked to us in the 3rd round that year, trust me im a dwyer supporter and very much pro dwyer over redman but his "skill set" is not as good as you are making it sound. He has had a handful of carries and yes one was like 70 yards but theres no way hes better than mendenhall. Mendenhall is by far the best back on the roster, his struggle with patience might have been something to do with running behind the likes of sean mahan, justin hartwig, trai essex, doug legursky, and darnell stapleton as members of his interior oline for the majority of his career. Ive never seen a player get steam rolled like harwig, he hasnt played in 2 years and hes still #1 in sacks given up for centers over the last 5...mendenhalls patience was never in question when he was running to the right side behind either colon or flozell, where he was spectacular. People hate mendhall because he isnt bettis, but hes the best runner, blocker, receiver (even though they never throw him the ball he was a GREAT receiving back at illinois) i really hope he gets to show his stuff behind this oline, he deserves that at least.

but in the mean time im 100% in support of dwyer taking as many carries away from redman as humanly possible

I agree 100%. It burns my *** how under appreciated Rashard Mendenhall is in this fan base. Todd Haley is going to have a field day dreaming up plays for Mende!!!

Big T
08-03-2012, 03:11 PM
I agree 100%. It burns my *** how under appreciated Rashard Mendenhall is in this fan base. Todd Haley is going to have a field day dreaming up plays for Mende!!!

Agreed...

Nolrog
08-03-2012, 03:59 PM
5th receiver? Who cares. He's not going to see much playing time anyway.

Real Deal Steel
08-03-2012, 05:44 PM

Under appreciated??? The guy isn't patient waiting for the holes or running behind his blockers, he does that spin move all the time, just to be doing it, and he leaves the ball on the ground at very inopportune times.

I too think that Haley can do wonders with Mendenhall but Mendenhall's value to the fan base is accurate and well deserved. You have to call a spade, a spade sometimes.

K Train
08-04-2012, 12:09 PM
he fumbles sooooo much less than the league average, ill never get that knock on him

Shaner83
08-04-2012, 12:14 PM
Clemons would be the guy if he makes the team and has potential to grow. This is how we developed Antonio. You never want to get rid of young talent that is not costing you that much to have a team like the Ratbirds pick him up and throw him in our face years down the road.

Big T
08-04-2012, 12:43 PM
he fumbles sooooo much less than the league average, ill never get that knock on him

That's like the knock on Wallace about all his drops... He was ranked 13th in the NFL last year in terms of drop percentage, yet he has Limas disease.

ChucktownSteeler
08-04-2012, 01:15 PM

I agree, Mendenhall fumbles very rarely. Last year he had one (1) in the first game when the ball and Nagoti arrived at the same time (I think the exchange from Ben was a bit high as well). I think Mendy gets a bum rap on being a fumbler. Redman fumbled twice in the same quarter of the Cleveland game (I think it was Cleveland). Mendy don't fumble much.

C-town

LatrobePA
08-04-2012, 01:55 PM
"Limas disease" classic!!

RobZagnut
08-04-2012, 02:49 PM
Clemons - which means he's got over his case of the 'dropsies'.

They must start the season with 5 receivers, not 4, because if one gets hurt they can't run 4 receiver sets. I like Mendenhall. Can't wait to see him run behind a nasty line with a run first mindset, and a lead FB. Dwyer has skill, but he's no Mendy.

Real Deal Steel
08-04-2012, 05:55 PM
I said he fumbles at inopportune times. I didn't say he fumbles a whole lot.

Real Deal Steel
08-04-2012, 05:59 PM
Amazing how some of you put words in other people's post just so you can try and mock them. But I guess it's understandable when the mockers have egg on there face after they were so adament two months ago that Wallace would be in camp at this time. ;)

K Train
08-05-2012, 04:19 PM
lol please describe an "opportune" fumble

wallace still is holding out of nothing, he doesnt have a contract

JensK
08-05-2012, 04:40 PM
Eh, him not having a contract is only true semantically. With the current rules, practically, he does have a contract. He has just decided to not sign it. Is the rule stupid? Extremely! Does it change the fact that he legally is bound to the Steelers? Nope.

tburg68
08-05-2012, 05:03 PM
Mendenhall will apparently take the rap for a Super Bowl fumble that wasn't his fault, for the rest of his Steeler career. He is the most talented RB on this roster, and it really isn't close for 2nd place.

If Mendenhall gets a chance to run behind this line at some point, all arguments will be over.

Real Deal Steel
08-05-2012, 05:08 PM
Can't wait until you see Dwyer. Then you'll stop this, " Mendenhall is the most talented and it isn't even close for 2nd" talk.

We have two talented runningbacks in Mendy and Dwyer. You've seen more of one because the younger one is finally taking it seriously and applying himself. That's the only difference.

Real Deal Steel
08-05-2012, 05:08 PM
Eh, him not having a contract is only true semantically. With the current rules, practically, he does have a contract. He has just decided to not sign it. Is the rule stupid? Extremely! Does it change the fact that he legally is bound to the Steelers? Nope.

Thank you.

ChucktownSteeler
08-05-2012, 06:31 PM
Mendenhall will apparently take the rap for a Super Bowl fumble that wasn't his fault, for the rest of his Steeler career. He is the most talented RB on this roster, and it really isn't close for 2nd place.

If Mendenhall gets a chance to run behind this line at some point, all arguments will be over.

True, you can't pin the Super Bowl fumble on Mendy. Johnson and Legs completely whiffed on their blocks. Mendy had the ball high and tight, but Matthews had a clear unabated shot at Mendy. Even then with the ball on the ground, Johnson stood their with his thumb up his arse.

We still had a chance to win, even with the T.O. If Holmes is still on the roster, I think we would have went home with #7 Lombardi.

C-town

ChucktownSteeler
08-05-2012, 06:33 PM
lol please describe an "opportune" fumble

wallace still is holding out of nothing, he doesnt have a contract

Wallace is holding out from signing his tender, which is in the guidelines of the new C.B.A. He signs the tender and the Steeler's probably have a long term deal waiting. The Steelers are not going to move forward until he signs his tender. Never have, never will.

Not quite sure how the entire Steeler nation recognizes this but Wallace and his agent don't.

C-town

LatrobePA
08-05-2012, 06:39 PM
Wallace is holding out from signing his tender, which is in the guidelines of the new C.B.A. He signs the tender and the Steeler's probably have a long term deal waiting. The Steelers are not going to move forward until he signs his tender. Never have, never will.

Not quite sure how the entire Steeler nation recognizes this but Wallace and his agent don't.

C-town

Well said brutha!!!

Real Deal Steel
08-05-2012, 08:12 PM

C-town

And thank you too.

Zachintosh66
08-05-2012, 09:02 PM
Maze is the sleeper...

K Train
08-06-2012, 10:17 AM
Can't wait until you see Dwyer. Then you'll stop this, " Mendenhall is the most talented and it isn't even close for 2nd" talk.

We have two talented runningbacks in Mendy and Dwyer. You've seen more of one because the younger one is finally taking it seriously and applying himself. That's the only difference.

coming from someone whos probably never seen dwyer aside from a handful of carries since hes been with the steelers. theres no doubt hes talented but you are probably the only person who thinks he unquestionably more talented than mendenhall, you sound ridiculous. still waiting on the definition of an opportune fumble btw

K Train
08-06-2012, 10:19 AM

C-town
i obviously know this, but given all the information we have we see a player who wants a long term deal and isnt budging til he gets one and a team that wants him to sign a tender and will MAYBE sign him after that but maybe not....looks like they are at a standstill, i get how business is done but you cant just say one side is right here

steelcitysfinestXL
08-06-2012, 11:28 AM

C-town

I'm willing to bet Wallace realizes he isn't going to be able to negotiate until he shows up to camp. I think it's about time fans realize he prob won't report until they leave Latrobe. When they get back to the south side facilities then I think we can expect The Wallace Watch to begin. I know people don't like to hear this but I'll say it again: IMHO The ONLY thing that could possibly be keeping Mike from being at camp is the risk of injury. You've all been saying "the steelers don't negotiate with camp holdouts". Well Mike said in the spring "If i dont get a deal I'm not reporting until I have to!" It appears to me both sides knew what they were getting into of a deal wasn't reached.

LatrobePA
08-06-2012, 11:33 AM
I'm willing to bet Wallace realizes he isn't going to be able to negotiate until he shows up to camp. I think it's about time fans realize he prob won't report until they leave Latrobe. When they get back to the south side facilities then I think we can expect The Wallace Watch to begin. I know people don't like to hear this but I'll say it again: IMHO The ONLY thing that could possibly be keeping Mike from being at camp is the risk of injury. You've all been saying "the steelers don't negotiate with camp holdouts". Well Mike said in the spring "If i dont get a deal I'm not reporting until I have to!" It appears to me both sides knew what they were getting into of a deal wasn't reached.

Should fans look at this as a plan for him to skip TC??

Real Deal Steel
08-06-2012, 12:00 PM
coming from someone whos probably never seen dwyer aside from a handful of carries since hes been with the steelers. theres no doubt hes talented but you are probably the only person who thinks he unquestionably more talented than mendenhall, you sound ridiculous. still waiting on the definition of an opportune fumble btw

Inopportune fumble is fumbling at the worse time. For example, game on the line, Steelers down by 4 points late in the game and he fumbles. And this from a guy who doesn't fumble that much. If he fumbled at the beginning of a game, then you have the whole game to recover. But when you fumble late it a tight game, it's back breaking and there is no recovery time.

Oh...and you sounded ridiculous two months ago when you too were talking about how Wallace would be in camp by now. And I told you then he wouldn't be in camp at the start and you said you couldn't see that either. You see...there seems to be a lot of things that "you can't see" so stop bashing people who do "see". Allow people to have opinions that are not yours.

Because you don't "see" a lot of things. :)

Also..I've watched Dwyer since his Georgia Tech days. I like Redman. Don't get me wrong. Redman is a hard nose, runs like a tank son of a gun. But Dwyer will beat him out. And by the time Mendenhall comes back, they won't want to tinker with a running game that's all ready working. Why would they? Because that's more healing time for Mendy.

Mendy has tools. But making 4 to 5 spin moves a game for no reason, not being patient following blocks until he can burst free, and inopportune fumbling negates Mendy's lateral quickness (which now might be gone because of the injury) and wiggle.

Let's check back in week # 9 and see where we are at in the running game. And then you can go and have amnesia about how I was right about Dwyer too. I'm done with this topic because it's all about waiting and seeing it for ourselves. No need to debate anymore. The pre-season is here.

steelcitysfinestXL
08-06-2012, 12:26 PM
Should fans look at this as a plan for him to skip TC??

I really don't think so. All reports are the Wallace worked out hard with a lot of teammates and other nflers and is in the best shape of his life (per teammates). So he was ready to come into this season and perform, and for good reason... Its technically a contract year. Like I said, you can look all around the AFC north for examples of guys who have had injuries this preseason. Im not saying its right or wrong, but it's a concern NFL guys have that we as fans don't take as seriously.

K Train
08-06-2012, 12:31 PM
True, you can't pin the Super Bowl fumble on Mendy. Johnson and Legs completely whiffed on their blocks. Mendy had the ball high and tight, but Matthews had a clear unabated shot at Mendy. Even then with the ball on the ground, Johnson stood their with his thumb up his arse.

We still had a chance to win, even with the T.O. If Holmes is still on the roster, I think we would have went home with #7 Lombardi.

C-town

Inopportune fumble is fumbling at the worse time. For example, game on the line, Steelers down by 4 points late in the game and he fumbles. And this from a guy who doesn't fumble that much. If he fumbled at the beginning of a game, then you have the whole game to recover. But when you fumble late it a tight game, it's back breaking and there is no recovery time.

Oh...and you sounded ridiculous two months ago when you too were talking about how Wallace would be in camp by now. And I told you then he wouldn't be in camp at the start and you said you couldn't see that either. You see...there seems to be a lot of things that "you can't see" so stop bashing people who do "see". Allow people to have opinions that are not yours.

Because you don't "see" a lot of things. :)

Also..I've watched Dwyer since his Georgia Tech days. I like Redman. Don't get me wrong. Redman is a hard nose, runs like a tank son of a gun. But Dwyer will beat him out. And by the time Mendenhall comes back, they won't want to tinker with a running game that's all ready working. Why would they? Because that's more healing time for Mendy.

Mendy has tools. But making 4 to 5 spin moves a game for no reason, not being patient following blocks until he can burst free, and inopportune fumbling negates Mendy's lateral quickness (which now might be gone because of the injury) and wiggle.

Let's check back in week # 9 and see where we are at in the running game. And then you can go and have amnesia about how I was right about Dwyer too. I'm done with this topic because it's all about waiting and seeing it for ourselves. No need to debate anymore. The pre-season is here.
all i was saying was theres no such thing as a good time to fumble, his inopportune one in the superbowl was unfortunate but i would hardly say that should condemn him for the rest of his career, especially since it wasnt his fault.

i loathe redman, i always have and i would be pleasantly surprised if he ever made me not. ive always like dwyer, a lot...like i said i was mocking him to US in the second or third round that year and when those 5th and 6th round picks were up i wanted him or blount so bad, they were by far the best players on the board. Ive been calling for him to get carries and take some away from redman, if redman is forced into a starting roll and gets the lions share of carries the steelers will be a bottom 5 rushing team theres no doubt in my mind. i think dwyer is very talented and should really challenge him for carries and i would love that to happen but i have serious doubts since the coaches seem to have a love affair with redman for some terrible reason.

also i never said wallace would be in camp, i was hopeful theyd get a deal done and it appears they almost did but when camp opened it was obvious that he was going to probably sit out at least 2 weeks, maybe the entire camp before he signed and i dont really blame him. I personally wanted wallace traded to avoid all this but its becoming more and more clear that both sides are ok with him coming in only when he has to and playing out the year (probably in a half assed way to avoid injury, which is sad) and probably parting ways after this season in which case both sides lose. I dont get how wallace is the only loser in both sides unwillingness to budge, sure this year hes not gonna get to get paid but hes going to be guaranteed 2.7 million once he signs and even if he fakes injuries and doesnt play at all thats a roster spot the steelers are giving up, thats their best WR on the bench, and thats 2.7 million worth of free money just to see him walk next year with no compensation. Both sides ****ed this up, not just wallace

steelcitysfinestXL
08-06-2012, 12:33 PM
Real Deal: I DON'T like Redman (as a starter, I don't mind him as a role player) and I'll bet money he is the starter barring injury until Mende returns. Dwyer has quite a bit of upside, but to expect him to come on now and win the starting job over Redman is a stretch. Let alone, supplant Mende when he gets back healthy. It's just kinda far fetched for a guy who has been pretty average in his VERY limited NFL career carries. I think with those two Batch and Rainey it's gonna be RB by committee after Redman.

K Train
08-06-2012, 12:36 PM
i actually dont mind redman as a role playing back either, but i absolutely cringe seeing him as a starter. hes a decent pass blocker, receiving back, and short yardage back....but thats a 3rd down back, not a starter

JensK
08-06-2012, 02:10 PM
I still cringe everytime someone bring up the injury part of the whole Wallace affair. Not that I don't understand it. I just really don't think it should be a dealbreaker in a NFL where we see as many season-ending injuries outside of the field.

Either way, I'm still saying between first and second pre-season game. He has to know that he is not doing anything to help himself right now. He most likely also have to know that there is a huge difference from training in the gym and running some routes, and being at TC actually getting some hits etc. You often see players get some sort of hammy (or the like), if they don't get that kind of practise before the season.

steelcitysfinestXL
08-06-2012, 02:56 PM
Agreed K, I also think Mende is a great fit for what Haley likes to do. He's a 3 down back and he could/should be a threat catching the ball out of the backfield. That was the knock on him going into his last year at Illinois. He came out in his last year and had over 30 catches I believe that season. He's the best rb we have in pass pro as well.

Jensk, I know it's not the popular opinion amongst us fans but when you here Alot of other guys talk about it, it must be important to them. You here Alot of guys complaining about rookies and guys on the bubble catching hell from vets about going too hard in practice trying to make a name for themselves. Jared Allen comes to mind. He went public before the start of camp saying Kalil better not try and be a hero. I'm not saying its right but it's a part of this league as I'm sure to know.

mcfly06
08-06-2012, 09:16 PM
I went to camp on the 27th Clemons looked pretty good for a number 5 WR. I hope Maze makes the team tho he was returning kicks and is FAST him and Rainey were back there at the same time. That Combo could be dangerous...

FlatsSteeler
08-07-2012, 09:01 AM
I like Clemons....He seems to have the ability to catch everything.......may be a good Slot guy one day.....

JensK
08-07-2012, 10:40 AM
I like Clemons....He seems to have the ability to catch everything.......may be a good Slot guy one day.....

Thats true. Especially if you disregard that he has been dropping a lot of passes in TC so far.

FlatsSteeler
08-07-2012, 12:30 PM
Thats true. Especially if you disregard that he has been dropping a lot of passes in TC so far.

I seem to remember Limas Sweed catching everything at Training Camp a few years ago......see where that got him.....plus if you have the two reject BU QB's we have(one can't throw itover 5 yds and one cant throw it under 50yds) throwing to you as Clemons does you wouldn't catch many either...lol...

Big T
08-07-2012, 02:18 PM
I seem to remember Limas Sweed catching everything at Training Camp a few years ago......see where that got him.....plus if you have the two reject BU QB's we have(one can't throw itover 5 yds and one cant throw it under 50yds) throwing to you as Clemons does you wouldn't catch many either...lol...

I'm sorry, but you're logic is unbelievably flawed. So Limas Sweed catching everything in camp and not-so-much in games means that Clemons, who is dropping passes in camp, will catch everything come game time? And there is a difference between a QB not getting the ball to a player and a player dropping passes. If it's in his hands and he drops it, it doesn't matter if Marino threw it or I did.

K Train
08-07-2012, 03:17 PM

you are pretty much arguing with yourself lol

BlitzburghRockCity
08-08-2012, 09:54 AM
If you listen to guys like Ed Bouchette talk about these receivers behind the starting three; you are starting to get concerned about the lack of depth at this position.

Then you hear Tomlin say yesterday, when asked how the 2nd tier group is and he answers quickly, "inconsistent" then you start to get even more concerned.

Right now, I honestly have no idea who I'd want out there in 4 wide situations if Wallace doesn't return. Maybe they stick Rainey or Batch out there, maybe they use Heath or Weslye more but if you want 4 good WR's, we don't have that, at this point at least.

Given those facts, it's good that Haley is bringing in a new offense with fresh ideas. Unconventional, at least to Pittsburgh, is a good thing IMO.

K Train
08-08-2012, 10:06 AM
rainey is probably the next best receiver, hes little but he can do a lot of things.

id love some plax though

LatrobePA
08-08-2012, 10:07 AM
Depending on what our #1 does I still think this team needs Plax...

K Train
08-08-2012, 10:16 AM
id say regardless of what wallace does plax would be a great addition. cant have too many weapons and ben always liked throwing to plax his rookie year

LatrobePA
08-08-2012, 10:44 AM
id say regardless of what wallace does plax would be a great addition. cant have too many weapons and ben always liked throwing to plax his rookie year

Make it happen...

Real Deal Steel
08-08-2012, 11:51 AM
Well, seems like the Steeler society has embraced Plax. Maybe management will come to the same conclusions as us.

Black@Gold Forever32
08-08-2012, 01:10 PM
Burress isn't coming back...I would love it but it won't happen.......

LatrobePA
08-08-2012, 01:12 PM
Burress isn't coming back...I would love it but it won't happen.......

I tend to agree..

The Lakelander
08-08-2012, 01:36 PM

My take ... Both Mendy and Dwyer are likely better than Ernest Jackson ... LOL ... and I loved Ernest Jackson!

I don't appreciate Mendenhall because frankly I expected more from him! ... He is a 1st Rounder and so I expected his breakout to come far sooner ... yet alone come at all!

Mendenhall seems to me to lack the naturalness that great RB's have ... instead of running "to" daylight and eluding tacklers, Mendenhall seems to find contact far too quickly ... I've never seen him cut back to open space in the fashion of the greats ...

I hate the argument that our O-line was to blame for Mendenhall's woes ... in limited playing time (as well as in camp) Isaac Redman has proven to me to be the tougher RB, the more relentless RB ...

If it's a natural cutback RB (in the mold of Arian Foster, Marcus Allen, Terrell Davis, OJ, even Barry Foster to a lesser extent, etc.) that we are expected to see in Mendenhall, then he simply hasn't shown that he has the gift ... If it is a masher (such as Riggins, Dillon, Riggs, Jamal Lewis, Stephen Davis, dare I say Bettis?) then I would take Isaac Redman and be happy giving him a chance to develop his skills into the next great Steelers Merrill Hoge "masher" ...

I prefer not to judge this book merely by it's cover ... the shinier and fancier cover does not indulge the content it was advertised to possess ...

I look down the list of the greatest NFL RB's of all time and I don't see where Mendenhall would eventually fit among those names? ... and I'm talking about the top 50 on that list ... not the top 10 ... surely he's got more talent than Garrison Hearst or James Brooks? ...

86WARD
08-08-2012, 01:55 PM
Mendenhall gets recognition for the "Prime Time" fumbles...Super Bowl and they way he runs with the ball out is conducive to every analyst on the planet bringing it up every game...hence it sounds like he fumbles more than he does...

K Train
08-08-2012, 05:10 PM
My take ... Both Mendy and Dwyer are likely better than Ernest Jackson ... LOL ... and I loved Ernest Jackson!

I don't appreciate Mendenhall because frankly I expected more from him! ... He is a 1st Rounder and so I expected his breakout to come far sooner ... yet alone come at all!

Mendenhall seems to me to lack the naturalness that great RB's have ... instead of running "to" daylight and eluding tacklers, Mendenhall seems to find contact far too quickly ... I've never seen him cut back to open space in the fashion of the greats ...

I hate the argument that our O-line was to blame for Mendenhall's woes ... in limited playing time (as well as in camp) Isaac Redman has proven to me to be the tougher RB, the more relentless RB ...

If it's a natural cutback RB (in the mold of Arian Foster, Marcus Allen, Terrell Davis, OJ, even Barry Foster to a lesser extent, etc.) that we are expected to see in Mendenhall, then he simply hasn't shown that he has the gift ... If it is a masher (such as Riggins, Dillon, Riggs, Jamal Lewis, Stephen Davis, dare I say Bettis?) then I would take Isaac Redman and be happy giving him a chance to develop his skills into the next great Steelers Merrill Hoge "masher" ...

I prefer not to judge this book merely by it's cover ... the shinier and fancier cover does not indulge the content it was advertised to possess ...

I look down the list of the greatest NFL RB's of all time and I don't see where Mendenhall would eventually fit among those names? ... and I'm talking about the top 50 on that list ... not the top 10 ... surely he's got more talent than Garrison Hearst or James Brooks? ...

you think redman has ANY place on that list??????????????????????????? he is not a great RB by any means, he will have plenty of chances to prove that to us this year. We drafted mendenhall to upgrade willie parkers position, and we certainly accomplished that.

i think its laughable he gets 3400 yards and 29 TDs in 3 seasons starting and you just expect more. he has 5 more TDs in 3 years than willie parker had in 6, and willie parker broke the steelers TD record in a single season. Mendenhall is not adrian peterson, and he has not played in an offense like matt forte or MJD where they are accountable for like 60% of the yardage, and hes run behind misfits all of his career, musical chairs at offensive line with pathetically terrible run blockers.

redman might be more relentless but hes far less talented, slower, and everyone knows that. not like we have teams lining up to take redman off our hands. I dont know what you expect a "breakout" to be for a RB, but hes broken out more than mcfadden and stewart did, i suppose we could have given him a ton of carries even when losing to get him to a milestone like the titans did with chris johnson, but the steelers were too busy not being a losing team. I "expect" 1000+ yards from a starting RB, mendenhall has done that for us.

rather than disregard what a **** offensive line and a ****** offensive coordinator guys like mendenhall and wallace have had and still produced, maybe consider that the ****** blocking and ****** play calling had an affect on their production and as that gets better so will they. Both guys i would love to see featured in todd haleys offense with an improved oline, theyve shown enough with bruce arians abortion of a game plan and misfit blocking for them (and roethlisberger in wallaces case) to be excited what improvements can bring.

The Lakelander
08-08-2012, 07:06 PM
Funny you should compare Parker's TD numbers to Mendenhall's ... Parker was not used in goalline situations ... but hell, let's throws apples to apples out the window ...

Whatever! ... :dunno:

What's the fear? ... that Redman proves you wrong? ... that an undrafted off-the-radar RB from an unknown blip of a college could become more productive than a former 1st rounder out of a Big 10 university? ...

To date, I haven't once said to myself "oh ****! ... another handoff to Redman! ... WTF!"

NO!

On the contrary ... every time Redman has touched the football in a Steelers regular season contest, I've pumped my internet bully muscles into an absolute frenzy! ...

Why?

Because regardless of what YOU say, Redman kicks ***! :cope:

Mendenhall is not adrian peterson, and he has not played in an offense like matt forte or MJD where they are accountable for like 60% of the yardage, and hes run behind misfits all of his career, musical chairs at offensive line with pathetically terrible run blockers.

... and Redman has somehow been even more fortunate? ...

Redman is the great unknown ... he of exactly one NFL start! ... Mendenhall gets to watch for a while! ... :banana:

steelcitysfinestXL
08-08-2012, 07:28 PM
you think redman has ANY place on that list??????????????????????????? he is not a great RB by any means, he will have plenty of chances to prove that to us this year. We drafted mendenhall to upgrade willie parkers position, and we certainly accomplished that.

i think its laughable he gets 3400 yards and 29 TDs in 3 seasons starting and you just expect more. he has 5 more TDs in 3 years than willie parker had in 6, and willie parker broke the steelers TD record in a single season. Mendenhall is not adrian peterson, and he has not played in an offense like matt forte or MJD where they are accountable for like 60% of the yardage, and hes run behind misfits all of his career, musical chairs at offensive line with pathetically terrible run blockers.

redman might be more relentless but hes far less talented, slower, and everyone knows that. not like we have teams lining up to take redman off our hands. I dont know what you expect a "breakout" to be for a RB, but hes broken out more than mcfadden and stewart did, i suppose we could have given him a ton of carries even when losing to get him to a milestone like the titans did with chris johnson, but the steelers were too busy not being a losing team. I "expect" 1000+ yards from a starting RB, mendenhall has done that for us.

rather than disregard what a **** offensive line and a ****** offensive coordinator guys like mendenhall and wallace have had and still produced, maybe consider that the ****** blocking and ****** play calling had an affect on their production and as that gets better so will they. Both guys i would love to see featured in todd haleys offense with an improved oline, theyve shown enough with bruce arians abortion of a game plan and misfit blocking for them (and roethlisberger in wallaces case) to be excited what improvements can bring.

I'd add somethng to this post but you've said it all already!!! When you look at Mendenhalls numbers compared to the best in the league at his posistion, no he doesnt jump off the page at you. Since the day he was drafted NO ONE has confused us for a running team like the Titans, Raiders, Pathers, Jags etc. When healthy Mendenhall is a 1200 yard 10+ td back with an avg well over 4 yards per carry.... i dont see how you could ask for more out of a guy under the offense he played in. Throw in his added value as a GREAT blocker in pass pro and his ability to catch passes out of the backfield (something we all hope to see out of Haley) and Mendenhall WILL thrive in this offense! He's a damn good 3 down back in the right offense!

K Train
08-08-2012, 07:30 PM
Funny you should compare Parker's TD numbers to Mendenhall's ... Parker was not used in goalline situations ... but hell, let's throws apples to apples out the window ...

Whatever! ... :dunno:

What's the fear? ... that Redman proves you wrong? ... that an undrafted off-the-radar RB from an unknown blip of a college could become more productive than a former 1st rounder out of a Big 10 university? ...

To date, I haven't once said to myself "oh ****! ... another handoff to Redman! ... WTF!"

NO!

On the contrary ... every time Redman has touched the football in a Steelers regular season contest, I've pumped my internet bully muscles into an absolute frenzy! ...

Why?

Because regardless of what YOU say, Redman kicks ***! :cope:

... and Redman has somehow been even more fortunate? ...

Redman is the great unknown ... he of exactly one NFL start! ... Mendenhall gets to watch for a while! ... :banana:

he really is so painfully average though, he lacks any explosion, its not even about his long distance speed...dan kreider was faster from backfield to handoff. He might run hard, but weve had hard runners come and go. Redman is no better than Carey Davis or Gary Russell was. And parker did fine on the goal line, and so does mendenhall...goal line running is mostly attributed to the OL, ask brian westbrook. He was a phenom around the goal line, not because he was a bruiser but because he had brusiers blocking for him (just like, uhhh willie parker did). If mendenhall was running behind smith, faneca, hartings, simmons, and starks hed put up way better numbers than willie ever did.

Redman is a nobody and in a few years we'll remember him as well as we remember gary russell, its just the nature of the business. I hope that somehow eithe dwyer takes snaps away from redman or redman manages to keep us out of the bottom 10 rushing teams the first 6 weeks. i imagine were going to see his AMAZING YPC AVERAGE!!!! plummet when hes asked to do more than spell mendenhall

steelcitysfinestXL
08-08-2012, 07:47 PM
Agreed K. What Redman brings to the table doesnt exactly scream "Starting RB". People see him bully DB's with a full head of steam and wanna label him Larry Csonka... im sorry he is not that guy! His upside, while minmal, is servicable. He is a decent blocker and has pretty good hands, so he isnt a liability on 3rd downs. When he is given space he does run with authority, and thats all well and good. But he lacks explosion needed to create anything when there is penetration at the line of scrimmage. Look at 3rd/shorts or goal line situations where the D gets penetration and he usually gets tackled for a loss. A guy like JB had AMAZINGLY quick feet to side step then explosiveness to get through the line... Redman has neither.

My big concern with Ike Redman is that he tries to be someone he is not when he gets the call as a starting RB. Sometimes when a second string guy gets a shot at starting (that he achieved via injury, not out playing the starter) he tries to do too much. I hope Redman sticks to what he does best: Get north and south and run hard! I have a feeling when the hole isnt there we may see him attempt to "bounce" out side (something Mendenhall does VERY well) or cut-back (again, something Mendenhall does well whether people admit it or not) when he doesnt have the ability to do that well at the NFL level!

Big T
08-08-2012, 08:55 PM

Completely agree, 100%, with every word here...

The Lakelander
08-08-2012, 09:50 PM
LMAO ... Redman has 1 start ... 19 touches ... 142 combined yards ...

Larry Csonka? ... that's exactly the first Csonka comparison I've heard to date ...

Where do you guys get this stuff from?

Steelersfan
08-08-2012, 10:13 PM
Is this a 5th best RB or WR thread?????

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

ChucktownSteeler
08-08-2012, 10:43 PM

Thread officially hijacked. All kidding aside, Redman is not a bad back to have on the roster. He will have his chance and time will if he fits the bill. I think we are going to se RB by commite this year regardless.

86WARD
08-08-2012, 11:08 PM
Not a bad player to have on the roster. Not a starting RB IMO...

ChucktownSteeler
08-08-2012, 11:26 PM
Not a bad player to have on the roster. Not a starting RB IMO...

He has had one start 19 touches for about 142 yards or so. Our choices are Redman, Dwyer, Batch, Clay, and Rainey. The latter 4 have about 20 total carries in the NFL.

I will say I wasn't sold on Redman at first, but he has grown on me. Until Mendy gets back and barring a roster move he is our best choice. Now, the preseason may change the pecking order, but right now Redman is the starter. I got a funny feeling he will be on opening day as well. Seriously with this rag-tag oft injured O-line we have had the past season or so, I don't know how you grade any of our backs.

steelcitysfinestXL
08-09-2012, 08:48 AM
LMAO ... Redman has 1 start ... 19 touches ... 142 combined yards ...

Larry Csonka? ... that's exactly the first Csonka comparison I've heard to date ...

Where do you guys get this stuff from?

If you read what some people post on here about Isaac Redman, you'd think he was some kind of great power back, ala: Larry Csonka!! And like you said, Redman has had one start I think that is where the concern starts for most of us. Handing this guy the lions share of the carries for 6 weeks doesn't exactly give me a warm-n-fuzzy!

The Lakelander
08-09-2012, 09:34 AM

The sky is falling

Steelersfan
08-09-2012, 11:26 AM
The sky is falling

Must be because Wallace hasnt signed.

Real Deal Steel
08-09-2012, 12:13 PM
This is just a little note from rotoworld today:

Jerricho Cotchery has been running as the No. 3 wideout at Steelers camp.
With Mike Wallace out of the mix, the Steelers are using Antonio Brown and Emmanuel Sanders out wide and Cotchery in the slot.

K Train
08-09-2012, 12:39 PM
i like cotch in the slot, he could put up big numbers....kind of like jason avant in philly does every once in awhile. solid all around player

steelcitysfinestXL
08-09-2012, 03:37 PM
This is just a little note from rotoworld today:

Jerricho Cotchery has been running as the No. 3 wideout at Steelers camp.
With Mike Wallace out of the mix, the Steelers are using Antonio Brown and Emmanuel Sanders out wide and Cotchery in the slot.

i like cotch in the slot, he could put up big numbers....kind of like jason avant in philly does every once in awhile. solid all around player

So from the OP of the thread we're going to assume Wallace plays week 1... to that: Who do you line up where in a 4 man set? I'd rather see Wallace and Sanders outside and Cotch and AB inside. Thoughts?

Real Deal Steel
08-09-2012, 06:36 PM
It is an interesting thought having AB in the slot. But having Cotch and Miller in the inside isn't a bad thing either.

I think we need to operate out of a base 3 WR set. But I like your thinking. :)