PDA

View Full Version : Roethlisberger and his torn rotator cuff not a major issue

BlitzburghRockCity
08-01-2012, 04:14 PM
This one is going to get blown WAY out of proportion, I can just feel it. Nonetheless, Ed Bouchette (http://www.post-gazette.com/stories/sports/steelers/roethlisberger-not-worried-about-little-tear-in-rotator-cuff-647119/?p=1)wrote an article this afternoon about Big Ben that included topics such as training camp, the new offense under Haley, Mike Wallace and more also casually mentioned Ben's rotator cuff. NBC Sports (http://nbcsports.msnbc.com/id/48448536/ns/sports-player_news/) as well as others are reporting about it too...

It's Big Ben's throwing arm. Roethlisberger says he suffered the injury last November against the Ravens. He insists it feels "fine," and that his arm feels "strong," and it won't hinder any of his throws. Roethlisberger was also dealing with a major ankle injury at the time, and his mobility was severely impacted down the stretch. We didn't notice any issues with his passing ability. It's a notable situation, but not one worth worrying much about.

If it was any big deal he would have had surgery this offseason to fix it. He played last year with it and went all this time so unless he gets crushed 50 times this year it shouldn't be a problem but we'll see.

LatrobePA
08-01-2012, 04:16 PM
Shut up Ben...

BlitzburghRockCity
08-01-2012, 04:40 PM
Happened during that 23-30 loss to Baltimore where Gay blew the coverage on Smith...ugh

gtadroptop
08-01-2012, 04:45 PM
Ben's hurt, we're doomed!!!

Black@Gold Forever32
08-01-2012, 04:48 PM
I just want to know why the Steelers didn't have him correct his slight tear in his rotator cuff in the offseason?.....I'm no doctor and I don't play one on tv but you would think it would be smart to have a procedure done on it......I guess a slight tear isn't that big of a deal?

cmerrifield
08-01-2012, 04:53 PM
I just want to know why the Steelers didn't have him correct his slight tear in his rotator cuff in the offseason?.....I'm no doctor and I don't play one on tv but you would think it would be smart to have a procedure done on it......I guess a slight tear isn't that big of a deal?

Dr said you can't do anything until/unless it completely tears.

sent from my Samsung Galaxy Siii using tapatalk 2

Black@Gold Forever32
08-01-2012, 04:55 PM
Dr said you can't do anything until/unless it completely tears.

ok...cool...I was just wondering....I never have tore my rotator cuff so I really don't know much about the injury......

PsychoWard
08-01-2012, 05:52 PM
I like when bens hurt he plays better :lol:

LatrobePA
08-01-2012, 06:00 PM
I almost tore mine once when I was 16... Damn hustler mags!!

PsychoWard
08-01-2012, 06:04 PM
I almost tore mine once when I was 16... Damn hustler mags!!

LMFAO :rofl:

ChucktownSteeler
08-01-2012, 07:57 PM
Ben-STFU

Speeed
08-01-2012, 08:01 PM
I am reading some replies telling Ben to keep his mouth shut. I did not see anywhere in that blurb where the was quoted. It was all second hand information. And, if he does respond to anything regarding his injuries will be by virtue of response to a question by a reporter with a slant and an agenda. It is not like the guy rented an add in the Gazette with an MRI of his shoulder with a giant red circle around the tear!

cmerrifield
08-01-2012, 08:08 PM
I am reading some replies telling Ben to keep his mouth shut. I did not see anywhere in that blurb where the was quoted. It was all second hand information. And, if he does respond to anything regarding his injuries will be by virtue of response to a question by a reporter with a slant and an agenda. It is not like the guy rented an add in the Gazette with an MRI of his shoulder with a giant red circle around the tear!

It was a write up of Ben's interview with Ed. So they may not be quotes, but he said these things.

LatrobePA
08-01-2012, 08:17 PM
Ben is an idiot!

Speeed
08-01-2012, 08:21 PM
Makes sense. But still, he asked him. Regardless, I guess we as fans should expect Ben to be hurt and be topic in sports media. It would be nice for a some of our rival QB's to get a few bumps and bruises!

It was a write up of Ben's interview with Ed. So they may not be quotes, but he said these things.

BlitzburghRockCity
08-01-2012, 09:12 PM
Everybody knew this was going to get way more press than it should but hey, Ben said it so people are going to talk about it.

Quarterback Ben Roethlisbergerhttp://www.steelers.com/assets/nflimg/icon-article-link.gif (http://www.steelers.com/team/roster/ben-roethlisberger/54dda34e-9e43-4c57-9397-1143ddced5d6/) revealed on Wednesday that he suffered a slight partial rotator cuff tear last season against the Baltimore Ravens at Heinz Field, on Nov. 6.

“It happened early last year,” said Roethlisberger following practice. “We worked really hard at getting it right to play. I never missed any time. Dr. James Bradley, the trainers, John Norwig, everybody, just spent so much time rehabbing and getting it right. It feels great right now. It isn’t a new injury. It’s nothing new. I never complained about anything. I was simply making a statement about something.”

Roethlisberger said no surgery was required and that he has not lost any strength in the shoulder.
“The way it was explained to me is that it’s torn like string cheese long ways, instead of sideways, which is ‘the better way to tear it,’” explained Roethlisberger. “It’s only a partial tear. That’s why I haven’t seen any side effects of loss of strength.

“I take less throws because of that, but also because I am getting a little bit older and might as well save the arm a little bit.”

Roethlisberger, who recently turned 30, also said, “it was one of those ones where the doctor says to avoid throwing too much in walk-thrus and stuff where you don’t have to throw and try not to land on it,” said Roethlisberger. “It happened in the Baltimore game and just got extended the wrong way. It was never an issue. I’ve dealt with a lot of pain and it wasn’t going to take me out.”

When asked after practice if there were any concerns about the injury, Coach Mike Tomlin said there were none and he wouldn’t be limited at all. Roethlisberger also said it would not limit his work in camp.

“You didn’t see any drop off in my play last year throwing the ball and you haven’t seen it yet,” said Roethlisberger. “No one would have known about it if I hadn’t talked about it today. I thought it was kind of a non-issue since it happened so long ago. I’m letting you know now that it’s a serious non-issue and I’m just fine.”

http://www.steelers.com/news/article-1/Roethlisbergers-shoulder-is-fine/49b4acdf-34b2-42a0-87e8-0351c14f29d0

LatrobePA
08-01-2012, 09:38 PM
Every time Ben talks to the media I cringe!!

HUNT4SEVEN
08-01-2012, 09:56 PM
Shut up Ben...

I agree why say anything about something that happen last year?:dunno: Now teams are gonna be focusing on slamming him on his throwing shoulder:banging:

Sheetz
08-01-2012, 10:22 PM
Well most guys have a hard enough time taking him down period, let alone aiming to have him land on his throwing shoulder.
This might have been the reason we were draft heavy for the Oline, the wake up call to the FO.

Real Deal Steel
08-01-2012, 10:54 PM
I wish Ben would have just kept that to himself. If it's not going to be fixed, then why mention it? But it kinda makes me want to get the 2nd string QB some extra reps in the new offense. LOL

Raleigh Steel
08-02-2012, 06:42 AM
A rotator cuff injury is pretty severe. Even the slightest tweek can cause a lot of pain and hamper performance. If Ben is throwing just fine, and has lost no arm strength, or had no effect on him than this is a non-issue. Hell, this could a rope-a-dope type statement to let other teams think he might be hurt...who know?

coldrolled
08-02-2012, 07:24 AM
I agree why say anything about something that happen last year?:dunno: Now teams are gonna be focusing on slamming him on his throwing shoulder:banging:

What were they focused on before?

Speeed: It would be nice for a some of our rival QB's to get a few bumps and bruises!

Luck will with BA, to bad arians left our division... Flacco could have loved BA for a few years...

I think Haley keeping Ben upright is part of his reason being here...

JensK
08-02-2012, 08:27 AM
A rotator cuff injury is pretty severe. Even the slightest tweek can cause a lot of pain and hamper performance. If Ben is throwing just fine, and has lost no arm strength, or had no effect on him than this is a non-issue. Hell, this could a rope-a-dope type statement to let other teams think he might be hurt...who know?

It really depends. Partial tear is so vague, its nearly impossible to actually make any qualified guesses in that regard. I mean, for all we know, x-rays may have shown a slight shadow which they said COULD be a tear, and Ben just decided to roll with it.

Either way, if that is the worst we'll have to deal with in terms of injuries, hallelujah!
'

Steveo
08-02-2012, 01:09 PM
Wouldn't a tear have healed or at least started to heal over the off season?

Steelersfan
08-02-2012, 03:07 PM
Chances are Ben had an MRI that showed a partial tear. Usually some good rehab will help heal and strengthen the shoulder. Cortisone shot will take the swelling down and help the pain.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

LatrobePA
08-02-2012, 03:09 PM
I'm pretty sure Ben would report a hang nail, he needs to keep his mouth shut about this ****!

Steveo
08-02-2012, 04:56 PM
I'm pretty sure Ben would report a hang nail, he needs to keep his mouth shut about this ****!

Im forced to agree, he has a rep for being tough, but he always seems to be telling the media that he's hurt.

Clevelandsux
08-02-2012, 06:42 PM
Ben is a drama queen. Even all of us Steelers fans know this. He should have gotten it repaired in the offseason.

North Steel
08-02-2012, 09:41 PM
Ben is an idiot!

I'll second that. Ben,Ben SHUT THE FU_K UP

The Lakelander
08-03-2012, 07:09 AM
Im forced to agree, he has a rep for being tough, but he always seems to be telling the media that he's hurt.

Another Pittsburgh All-Time Great was exactly the same way .... Roberto Clemente!

The Lakelander
08-03-2012, 07:10 AM
And besides ... I thought the dink and dunk offense was "not a bad thing in Pittsburgh" ... ????

Steveo
08-03-2012, 01:36 PM
Not sure what one has to do with the other, except for maybe the Dink and Dunk will keep him from taking hits and hopefully not further aggravate that shoulder.

Dee Mca
08-03-2012, 02:01 PM
Is it to late for Randle El to unretire? What about Tee Martin where is he these days? Tommy Maddox has been staying in shape playing semi pro golf.

Black@Gold Forever32
08-03-2012, 03:10 PM
Another Pittsburgh All-Time Great was exactly the same way .... Roberto Clemente!

Yea Myron Cope wrote an article one time about Clemente and all his ailments.......

Blazedby92
08-04-2012, 03:01 AM
As aways Ben will be fine man he is such a drama Queen but wouldn't trade him for any other QB in the league. He'll be fine

connecticutsteel
08-04-2012, 03:53 AM
Ben is a drama queen. Even all of us Steelers fans know this. He should have gotten it repaired in the offseason.

Ben is far from a drama queen he's the toughest qb probably ever to play in the league.They cannot and will not repair apartially torn rotator cuff I have torn both of mine and i had apartial tear in my right shoulder before it let go all the way what he is desciribing is a sever strain when he said like string cheese i knew . Trust me he wouldn't be able to hand the ball off or even take asnap all his strenght and range of motion would be gone and his career would be over (c. Penninington).

Big T
08-04-2012, 10:38 AM
Ben is far from a drama queen he's the toughest qb probably ever to play in the league.They cannot and will not repair apartially torn rotator cuff I have torn both of mine and i had apartial tear in my right shoulder before it let go all the way what he is desciribing is a sever strain when he said like string cheese i knew . Trust me he wouldn't be able to hand the ball off or even take asnap all his strenght and range of motion would be gone and his career would be over (c. Penninington).

Ben is definitely a drama queen lol. He's the toughest QB in the league, but if he has a scratch, the whole world will know.

LatrobePA
08-04-2012, 10:46 AM

Lmao! Ben is the biggest drama queen in the league too! I'm not doubting his toughness but come on dude!