PDA

View Full Version : Which Steelers veteran doesn't make the final cut?

BlitzburghRockCity
08-01-2012, 10:06 AM
Salary cap wise, the Steelers are fine for the time being. They've got enough money to sign Mike Wallace at some point and if they want to sign another vet to an extension they'll find a way to do so; you know it happens every year so I wouldn't be surprised to see it happen again.

I also wouldn't be surprised to see a veteran on the roster not make it out of camp if the young players behind him stand out over the next few weeks. Who has the best chance of being cut when the final 53 man roster is decided? Perhaps they do make it out of camp but end up playing their last year in Pittsburgh this season because the young competition behind him is too good to keep off the field any longer?

Casey Hampton has two really good young players behind him, but his deal was restructured earlier this year so I would say he's not likely to be cut during the camp. You never know though.

What about Max Starks? He was just signed as insurance at Tackle but what if Gilbert & Adams look like they're ready to go?

Leftwich or Batch; do you go with Jerrod Johnson knowing that sooner or later you have to get younger at this position?

Mendenhall; he looks like he could return sooner than expected and if that continues, is he released after coming off the PUP in the regular season?

Black@Gold Forever32
08-01-2012, 10:38 AM
I think Larry Foote could be cut........Especially if Brandon Johnson wins a starting spot......Now for Foote to be cut that would also mean that Spence showed enough to warrant some kind of playing time....I don't think Sly will be cut.......

K Train
08-01-2012, 10:39 AM
id like to see casey cut personally, he was tremendous for a long time and even had a second wind of a late surge in his career....hes done though

Black@Gold Forever32
08-01-2012, 10:43 AM
id like to see casey cut personally, he was tremendous for a long time and even had a second wind of a late surge in his career....hes done though

McLendon has been looking like a beast in camp......If Ta'amu shows early he is ready yea then I could see Hampton being cut........

cmerrifield
08-01-2012, 11:02 AM
There are several vets I would like to see cut, however I think the only likely guys are either Will Allen or Essex. Everyone else will still be part of the 53. I would love to see Brown and Lewis excel and c. Allen moved to FS and Clark cut.

sent from my Samsung Galaxy Siii using tapatalk 2

Real Deal Steel
08-01-2012, 11:48 AM
I too think there are several vets who I'd like to see gone but I don't think it will happen this year. Maybe one. But next season I see a real blood letting in veteran cuts.

K Train
08-01-2012, 11:57 AM
i consider letting farrior, smith, and ward go major moves for the year, id expect something similar next year but they wont clean house too much more this year

cmerrifield
08-01-2012, 12:00 PM
i consider letting farrior, smith, and ward go major moves for the year, id expect something similar next year but they wont clean house too much more this year

I think next year won't be bad as far as numbers as Hampton, Foote, W. Allen, Essex, Lewis, Mundy, Starks, lefty, Batch,Mendy, and Sanders are all on 1 or final year deals. I do think a bigger name may be cut next year, but less cuts and more guys not resigned.

LarryNJ
08-01-2012, 12:01 PM
Hampton and Batch.. they are done.

coldrolled
08-01-2012, 12:17 PM
Bye Bye 85

greg1964
08-01-2012, 12:35 PM
C. Batch, C. Hampton, W. Allen, T Essex, B. Leftwich, are on the list of long time Steelers to be cut next:

Batch: love him and would be my choice to stay over Leftwich,(health)but it's time to go"
Hampton: Again, it's only the first week of camp, but by ALL reports, McClendon and Tamu' are beast, so by is Hampton needed.
Allen: good special teamer, but that's it, will never see the field on defense
Essex: can play all 5 positions but will never be more that a backup if the young pups start this year.
Leftwich: either he or Batch will make the team: but it time for the Steelers to get younger there, so I would let one of them go.

connecticutsteel
08-01-2012, 02:38 PM
Legursky could be cut in favor of beachum at guard and Essex can play center

ChucktownSteeler
08-01-2012, 09:07 PM
85 works for me.

BlitzburghRockCity
08-01-2012, 10:15 PM

I agree, there won't be any more earth shattering cuts for this year. Casey is in his last year one way or the other, either finishing this season or if they were to cut him. I still think he makes the final roster though, atleast for the first part of the season.

I'd be shocked if they cut Foote at this point considering the youth behind him. I don't know that LeBeau would comfortable in that move. Sly is working a lot with the starters so far in camp though so you never know. I just think they like his experience too much.

HUNT4SEVEN
08-01-2012, 11:05 PM
Legursky,DJ 85, Will Allen, Mundy,Foote, Hamp...That's my wish list:crossfingers:

jnes1216
08-02-2012, 12:52 AM
I say Dwyer (if you can even call him a vet) or Essex. I think Legs stays.

scudmissile29
08-02-2012, 07:15 AM
Bye Bye 85

why would Johnson be cut? He's the only FB we have.

cmerrifield
08-02-2012, 08:50 AM
why would Johnson be cut? He's the only FB we have.

David Johnson and Will Johnson are both listed as FB's in camp.

Nolrog
08-02-2012, 09:11 AM
I can't see them cutting Starks. You can never have too much OL depth. Even if the kids are looking good now, there's no guarantee that they will play well all year, or stay healthy. Moving Scott for Starks was the right move. Moving Starks now is unlikely.

Dumping Foote is also unlikely. Even if the guy behind him look good, the Steeler defense is very complicated and it takes a few years to learn. Especially at a key position like MILB.

Since there are no major salary cap issues right now, I don't see any major moves being made.

JensK
08-02-2012, 09:25 AM
I can't see them cutting Starks. You can never have too much OL depth. Even if the kids are looking good now, there's no guarantee that they will play well all year, or stay healthy. Moving Scott for Starks was the right move. Moving Starks now is unlikely.

Dumping Foote is also unlikely. Even if the guy behind him look good, the Steeler defense is very complicated and it takes a few years to learn. Especially at a key position like MILB.

Since there are no major salary cap issues right now, I don't see any major moves being made.

It all really comes down to what happens with Wallace right now. If they have to find a couple of millions this year I have no doubt in my mind that they will. I agree about Foote though. Steelers are not exactly known for trusting young guys on the LB position.

connecticutsteel
08-02-2012, 09:34 AM
IMO The only thing that's going to happen with Wallace is 2 things He'll show up before the first pre-season game or hold out the entire season.Idiot

JensK
08-02-2012, 09:41 AM
IMO The only thing that's going to happen with Wallace is 2 things He'll show up before the first pre-season game or hold out the entire season.Idiot

Plenty other threads to discuss this in. Lets keep this about the salary and veteran situation! :)

cmerrifield
08-02-2012, 10:23 AM
Foote is for sure here to stay. Potsie always said it took him several years to learn the Buck linebacker position and Foote is the only one with any experience at it. Timmons, Sly and Spence (even johnson coming from a 4-3) have only camp experience at it. We need Foote. Timmons thought it would be easy, but found out this week why it takes guys a year or two in game type situations to learn it.

Nolrog
08-03-2012, 04:32 PM

He's not quite that dumb conn. If he holds out that long, he'll show up by week 10 so that he can get credit for the year and become UFA next year.

BlitzburghRockCity
08-27-2012, 05:00 PM
Bringing this one back up since final cut downs are due by Sept 2.

The more I think about this the more Hampton could be getting his walking papers. Ta'amu will help or hinder that cause by how he plays this Thursday against Carolina.

Will Allen, another one who could be on the way out but since there is no other safety other than Ryan Mundy he might stick around.

Charlie Batch, the one that I always say shouldn't be cut could be the one to go. If that's the case then they probably feel nobody is going to pick him up and if something happens mid season they can always bring him in and he'll already know the offense and can play right away.

Zachintosh66
08-27-2012, 05:09 PM
Hampton, Lefty and China Doll Charlie Batch aren't going anyway this year :(

Wouldn't mind Legs getting the ax, never been a fan. Not a Foote fan either but hes not going anywhere till Spence and Sly are ready.

Wonder if they IR DeCastro?

ChucktownSteeler
08-27-2012, 06:39 PM
Will Allen

Mike Tomlin
08-28-2012, 04:00 AM
Will Allen

I think it's time for his walking papers. He makes too much money to not make some sort of impact on this team. I've been rooting for Robert Golden to make this team. He was an All-State corner before moving to safety. He covers like a corner but can hit like a safety. I think this kid has it. I wish I could have seen that pick he had the other day.

ChucktownSteeler
08-28-2012, 08:00 AM
I think it's time for his walking papers. He makes too much money to not make some sort of impact on this team. I've been rooting for Robert Golden to make this team. He was an All-State corner before moving to safety. He covers like a corner but can hit like a safety. I think this kid has it. I wish I could have seen that pick he had the other day.

I hope you are right.

MDSteel15
08-28-2012, 09:20 AM
I really like Jerrod Johnson and wish he could unseat Charlie or Lefty(we need somebody that doesn't get hurt so easily)... Will Allen - gone, Legursky can go, Essex if one of the young guys steps up, I think this is Hampton's last year, James Harrison may be done after this year, too!