PDA

View Full Version : Dink & Dunk offense is not a bad thing in Pittsburgh

CowherPower
07-30-2012, 03:44 PM
I've been hearing a lot lately from Steeler fans that they don't want a dink and dunk offense. Hell even some of the local Steelers media aren't exactly all for it if you watch some of them on twitter.

My question is, why the hell not? Who cares if you don't go deep 10 times a game? What's wrong with high percentage 10 yd passes or dump offs to running backs in the flat? It works for the Patriots right, so why can't it work in Pittsburgh? I hate to compare the two but it's true.

This isn't Arians' offense where he wants to go deep atleast "x" number of times per half no matter what the outcome? Plus who knows when Wallace will be back, and even if he does return it's going to take time to get timing down on deep routes. I watched a video the other day of some of the players talking the offense and how explosive it can be but also how different it is from play calling and situations than before. Haley talked about using quick drops and short passes to keep the game moving and keep Ben in high percentage situations.

From what I've heard so far, Haley loves the short passing game, quick release from Roethlisberger, and good use of the running back for more than just situational circumstances. The offensive line is getting back to a nasty mentality, which I love, and that alone will help the run game. Plus if Ben does more of the quick release, short passes he'll stay off the turf and hopefully make it through the whole year.

I can see this team marching down the field eating up clock along the way with high percentage throws to multiple targets and a solid ground attack that can't be stopped. At least that's how I envision it but if it turns out that way, who knows.

LatrobePA
07-30-2012, 03:47 PM
I like dink and dunk and it's worked for us before.

JensK
07-30-2012, 04:26 PM
With our current roster I could see this kind of offense being lethal. All our WRs can do serious damage with the ball in their hands, and our RBs appear to have the same kind of skill-set. I would rather not have them take away the deep plays, especially if Wallace gets back. Its just too good of a weapon to throw away.

The Big Z
07-30-2012, 05:18 PM
The dink and dunk will open up the long plays by bringing the defense up to the line. Thus allowing the receivers to get by them.

ChucktownSteeler
07-30-2012, 05:52 PM
I for whatever system brings us #7 and keeps Ben healthy.

C-town

Real Deal Steel
07-30-2012, 07:35 PM
Quick passes (dink and dunk) and running the ball is what I want to see. With enough deep passes to keep the defense honest. That's all we need. Oh....and scoring TD's in the red zone too.

Steveo
07-30-2012, 07:48 PM
No problems with dunk and dunk here
Sent from my Lumia 710 using Board Express

HUNT4SEVEN
07-30-2012, 09:11 PM
The dink and dunk will open up the long plays by bringing the defense up to the line. Thus allowing the receivers to get by them.

Great point, i like the dink and dunk pass game, it worked well against the cheaters and kept there defense off guard,so i'm all for it, plus we have to utilize ALL the weapons we have on offense, if we stay healthy i'm telling u all now we will witness something special this year ending with a victory in FEB in New Orleans!

steelchamp204
07-30-2012, 09:35 PM
Dont take this the wrong way, look how effective it has been for the Pats for the past 7 years. We have the type of receivers and yes athletic Miller as te to do these type plays.

coldrolled
07-30-2012, 09:44 PM
From what I've heard so far, Haley loves the short passing game, quick release from Roethlisberger, and good use of the running back for more than just situational circumstances. The offensive line is getting back to a nasty mentality, which I love, and that alone will help the run game. Plus if Ben does more of the quick release, short passes he'll stay off the turf and hopefully make it through the whole year.

Have been waiting for this plan of attack for 4 years. Ben may go 15-1 with this attack...

BlitzburghRockCity
07-31-2012, 12:47 AM
I would love to see this type of offense actually come to Pittsburgh. We'll never use the tight ends like the Pats do but that's ok as long as we move the ball and eat the clock. Plus I'm all for anything that keeps Ben from getting sacked 40+ times per year.

- From BRC's Droid Bionic of Awesomeness

connecticutsteel
07-31-2012, 02:49 AM
The Steelers offense will look similar to the Arizona offense did in the super bowl if Wallace shows up

fogdoctor
07-31-2012, 09:24 AM
As long as we score more points than under the Arians disaster I'm fine with distribution of passes moving closer to the line.

Then again, just scoring more points the Arians offense should be not be difficult given that we were in the bottom half of the league. We were worse in ppg than the offensive juggernauts like the Vikings, Bills, and Dolphins. The friggin Dolphins.

Any way, I hope we are around 24ish pts game this year.

KemoTherapy
07-31-2012, 02:29 PM
It worked for the Patsies and 49ers and last time I looked both teams went far in the playoffs. The throw deep 40 times a game routine is counterproductive to getting your offense on a roll and keeping the other teams offense off the field. Not having Wallace around could easily be addition by subtraction by creating a more balanced team.

BlitzburghRockCity
07-31-2012, 11:23 PM
I was listening to Sirius today and the guys were talking to Andrew Luck about how much fun Arians' offense is and how much freedom he has. I thought to myself, just wait till you're 3rd and 8 at you're own 5 and he calls a delayed draw then see how much fun it is.

As far as the dink and goes, I've been screaming for it for years now. I wish they'd use it more and now hopefully they will. A power run game with a nasty offensive line, a big tough QB and fast WR's..it doesn't get any better than that :crossfingers:

Blazedby92
08-01-2012, 01:23 AM
I hope i'm wrong with but Ben is far from a dink and dunk QB unless Haley can sale it to Ben that likes the big play then I don't see it happening.

BlitzburghRockCity
08-02-2012, 08:15 AM
Ben will be whatever Haley tells him to be. This buddy buddy thing that he had with Arians is long gone right now. He know longer has complete control over the playbook as far as I can tell. I'm sure Haley is getting his input on things he likes and doesn't like but this is going to be different in some ways that what we've been used to.

So far from camp it seems like everyone likes the new offense. They work a lot on short passes, dump offs, screens, and a ton of run blocking.

JensK
08-02-2012, 08:22 AM
Ben will be whatever Haley tells him to be. This buddy buddy thing that he had with Arians is long gone right now. He know longer has complete control over the playbook as far as I can tell. I'm sure Haley is getting his input on things he likes and doesn't like but this is going to be different in some ways that what we've been used to.

So far from camp it seems like everyone likes the new offense. They work a lot on short passes, dump offs, screens, and a ton of run blocking.

From what we are hearing out of camp so far, Haley appears to be very open-minded towards player input. Not only in terms of how plays work, but he is also very flexible in regard to terminology. As such, I have no doubt in my mind that he will listen if Ben tells him that he believes a certain aspect, such as the big play, is missing or is underutilized.

Nolrog
08-02-2012, 08:31 AM
I've been hearing a lot lately from Steeler fans that they don't want a dink and dunk offense. Hell even some of the local Steelers media aren't exactly all for it if you watch some of them on twitter.

I want Ws. Don't really care how they get them. The big play is exciting, but ultimately the only thing that matters is the W.

The Lakelander
08-02-2012, 09:36 AM
From what we are hearing out of camp so far, Haley appears to be very open-minded towards player input. Not only in terms of how plays work, but he is also very flexible in regard to terminology. As such, I have no doubt in my mind that he will listen if Ben tells him that he believes a certain aspect, such as the big play, is missing or is underutilized.

Absolutely!

Black@Gold Forever32
08-02-2012, 11:05 AM

The other day I posted an article in the training camp thread about the Haley offense......Everything in the article sounds good so far.....Haley seems to make things simpler for the WR's and OL which is good......Sometimes to much thinking on the field isn't good for a player....

Clevelandsux
08-02-2012, 06:49 PM
I got sick of arians dink and dunk offense. 2 yard screens to ward?

BlitzburghRockCity
08-06-2012, 03:56 PM
I can't remember which media guy reported the other day that this offense looks like one built for quick passes, dump offs, short to intermediate routes. If that's true then these guys won't have to hold blocks as long as they used too if Ben runs it the way it's intended. I'm anxious to see how much he goes back to the old Ben in this offense, holding onto the ball forever.

LarryNJ
08-06-2012, 04:59 PM
If that's true then these guys won't have to hold blocks as long as they used too if Ben runs it the way it's intended. I'm anxious to see how much he goes back to the old Ben in this offense, holding onto the ball forever.

There's no way he changes his game, he is who he is. Now hopefully the plays are designed for shorter routes and he doesn't have a chance to scramble. :)

The sacks kill you. (along with injure him) I know we mostly tend to say it's ok because he makes up for it with big plays. But is that really the case? Look at the last stat in this column. Adjusted Yards per Attempt (AYPA) – A quarterback’s Yards per Attempt (YPA) minus sack yards, adjusted by a 45-yard penalty for each interception thrown. 45 yards is chosen because it is approximately equivalent to the Expected Point (EP) value of an interception. Ben's not even in the top 10. I wonder how many of his INT were when he scrambled?

http://wp.advancednflstats.com/playerstats.php?year=2011&pos=QB&season=reg

LatrobePA
08-06-2012, 05:25 PM
Better than going deep on 3rd and 3...

SuperSteelers
08-07-2012, 01:42 PM
I like dink and dunk and it's worked for us before.

I can even remember the last time we used this type of offensive strategy. Please enlighten me.

ChucktownSteeler
08-07-2012, 06:49 PM
I got a feeling Haley's offense is going to do just fine.............

BlitzburghRockCity
08-08-2012, 08:08 AM
Better than going deep on 3rd and 3...

No no no, don't you know on 3rd and 3 from you're own 5 yd line you call a delayed draw? Oh wait sorry that's when you're at 3rd and 15 :bonk: