PDA

View Full Version : Colbert Says Wallace Will NOT Be Traded

TarlsQtr
07-29-2012, 09:55 PM
I am a little skeptical that they would not for the right deal. Unless they have tested the waters and found no one is willing to give up what he is worth, this is posturing to pressure Wallace. Article here. (http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/story/19681585/steelers-gm-colbert-holdout-wr-wallace-not-available-for-trade)

BlitzburghRockCity
07-30-2012, 12:56 AM
What you say and what you ultimately do given the right situation isn't always the same thing. If a team is willing to pay Wallace then he can sign the tender and be immediately traded. Colbert will do everything he can to keep Wallace in Pittsburgh but the ball is in his court now, completely. Show up or don't.

cmerrifield
07-30-2012, 08:33 AM
That could be the wrong choice. If Wallace is just planning on showing up week 10 so that he is no longer an RFA and sign with somebody else next year, we should trade him. I would take even a second round pick at that point. So, hopefully somebody from the Steeler's front office will get him in camp and get him practicing with the team or get him out if he isnt coming until week 10

greg1964
07-30-2012, 08:56 AM
Wallace will show up after training camp: The Steelers had a long term contact for him, but because of him not reporting, that gave his money to Brown. Wallace will show up at the end of camp, be the Steelers 3rd or 4th receiver this year and leave next year as a UFA for less money than he expects.

TarlsQtr
07-30-2012, 09:29 AM
That could be the wrong choice. If Wallace is just planning on showing up week 10 so that he is no longer an RFA and sign with somebody else next year, we should trade him. I would take even a second round pick at that point. So, hopefully somebody from the Steeler's front office will get him in camp and get him practicing with the team or get him out if he isnt coming until week 10

The Steelers would never get a second round pick for him after week 10 and they may not even be able to get it for him now.

LatrobePA
07-30-2012, 09:35 AM
Wallace will show up after training camp: The Steelers had a long term contact for him, but because of him not reporting, that gave his money to Brown. Wallace will show up at the end of camp, be the Steelers 3rd or 4th receiver this year and leave next year as a UFA for less money than he expects.

You could be right..

Nolrog
07-30-2012, 09:39 AM
That could be the wrong choice. If Wallace is just planning on showing up week 10 so that he is no longer an RFA and sign with somebody else next year, we should trade him.

Wallace will definitely be in camp before he starts losing money. You can take that one to the bank!

LatrobePA
07-30-2012, 10:02 AM
I say change your pad Mike and get your *** to camp...

Real Deal Steel
07-30-2012, 10:31 AM
The Steelers would never get a second round pick for him after week 10 and they may not even be able to get it for him now.

I'd be willing to bet that they could get atleast a 2nd round pick for him from the Rams right now. Carolina too.

K Train
07-30-2012, 10:52 AM
rams, panthers, dolphins would all give up a second im sure. Patriots probably would too.

If they arent going to sign him they should be shopping him aggressively, not just leaving it alone

LatrobePA
07-30-2012, 10:54 AM
rams, panthers, dolphins would all give up a second im sure. Patriots probably would too.

If they arent going to sign him they should be shopping him aggressively, not just leaving it alone

I agree 10000% maybe they're waiting for the injury bug to bite a team??

cmerrifield
07-30-2012, 03:45 PM

You can't trade after week 6. If they think he is not going to show, trade him now.

sent from my Samsung Galaxy Siii using tapatalk 2

TarlsQtr
07-30-2012, 03:53 PM
You can't trade after week 6. If they think he is not going to show, trade him now.

I was responding to another poster who suggested trading after week 10, but point taken. Thanks.

LatrobePA
07-30-2012, 04:01 PM
Or wait until an injury to a star WR in the league then put him out there.

steelcitysfinestXL
07-30-2012, 04:04 PM
I just dont see a logical situation where a trade would work out. Im going to guess wallace reports just before week 1 (before he starts acruing fines on his $2.7 mil.) If thats the case the team has 6 weeks to trade him and it wouldnt be a to a AFC contender, ie: The Patriots, i say that because the return value would be minimal and that move would only strengthen a top tier AFC opponent. They cant trade him until he signs his tender, so even if a team like the Phins or the Broncos would be interested, i belive they'd have to wait til Wallace signs his tender to even try to negotiate with the Steelers, not Wallace because that would fall under "tampering".

My guess is: He signs his tender and they work agressively to get a deal done before the first week of the season. I also agree with those saying "guaranteed money" will be the deal breaker.

ChucktownSteeler
07-30-2012, 07:00 PM
I say change your pad Mike and get your *** to camp...

Couldn't agree more. Change the pad, dry the tears, and man-up. Your team needs you.

You play for the Pittsburgh "F'N" Steelers, not the Dallas Cryboys, Wash Deadskins, or NE Cheatriots.

C-town

BlacknGoldHaze
07-30-2012, 07:56 PM
He's poison in Pittsburgh now. I expect him to be dealt.

Goodfrom55
07-30-2012, 07:59 PM
One thing is for sure; staying away has done him no good whatsoever. Swallow your pride, come to camp, sign your tender and hope that a future with the Steelers can be salvaged. He handled this poorly, and now it has come back to bite him on the a$$. Can he be franchised next year? If Sanders has a good year, do they tag him and try to sign Wallace next year? Wallace is not a jerk; but he completely crashed and burned in these negotiations.

BlacknGoldHaze
07-30-2012, 08:01 PM
He can be franchised next year but it would be a hefty price tag....

Big T
07-30-2012, 08:42 PM
He's poison in Pittsburgh now.

Classic Steeler fan overreaction...

Black@Gold Forever32
07-30-2012, 08:57 PM

Yep....along with many others during this whole Mike Wallace contract saga........lol I mean people act like Mike Wallace raped a nun.......lol

Steveo
07-30-2012, 08:59 PM
He ain't poison, this is the business side that every coach and player is accustomed to. I just want to see him hurry up and get to training camp so that he can get familiar with this new offense.
Sent from my Lumia 710 using Board Express

gtadroptop
07-30-2012, 09:38 PM
He's poison in Pittsburgh now. I expect him to be dealt.

Probably true, but wasn't Ben toxic a few years ago? Nothing would counteract poison quicker than a few touchdowns.

And yes I realize it was for off-field behavior, not a contract issue.

steelcitysfinestXL
07-31-2012, 09:56 AM

Yep....along with many others during this whole Mike Wallace contract saga........lol I mean people act like Mike Wallace raped a nun.......lol

Its hard to see through those Black-n-Gold glasses!

LatrobePA
07-31-2012, 10:00 AM

I heard he did, he should be stoned!

Real Deal Steel
07-31-2012, 11:34 AM

This is one of the most hilarious post of the year so far! Love it!

fogdoctor
07-31-2012, 01:17 PM
If Wallace had played out this year under the tender he would have had a huge amount of leverage (given a good year of course). Sure its risky; however, what he is currently doing is stupid. Not because he is holding out because I would be fine with that IF he could gain something from it. His rights are the Steelers for two years if they want them and he has no leverage. Not to mention he is missing out on the installation of the new offense. Sure he can hold out but he is not going to get a better contract because of it.

I want Wallace back, I dont want him traded, but he pushes it and the value is there then I would trade him. Fair value would be a late first IMO.

cmerrifield
07-31-2012, 01:50 PM
The Steelers only have his rights for this year, not two. He only has to show up starting week 10 to get credit for this year, which would make him unrestricted next year.

TarlsQtr
07-31-2012, 02:23 PM
The Steelers only have his rights for this year, not two. He only has to show up starting week 10 to get credit for this year, which would make him unrestricted next year.

Th Steelers have the option of franchising him next year, although I doubt they ever would.

Real Deal Steel
07-31-2012, 02:38 PM

He could be franchised tagged after this year. So he still wouldn't get his long term deal unless traded.

steelcitysfinestXL
07-31-2012, 03:19 PM
Th Steelers have the option of franchising him next year, although I doubt they ever would.
You're right!

He could be franchised tagged after this year. So he still wouldn't get his long term deal unless traded.
Yes he would! There is NO WAY IN HELL a team is gonna pay 2 first round draft picks PLUS a contract Wallace would want. So a trade under the tag is NOT going to happen. Franschising Wallace would eventually play right into his hands (one way or another). His cap hit for next year would be ~$10mil. which the Steelers would struggle to afford under the cap restrictions they will be in. So, Their only choice would be to reach a deal that Wallace accepts. Lets say a deal that pays Mike ~ $55 mil. over 5 years would NOT ammount to $11mil. agains the cap next year... it would prob be more along the line of $5-7mil against the cap! The Steelers would almost have to make that move to get under the cap or be forced to do some serious shuffling!

Black@Gold Forever32
07-31-2012, 03:46 PM
This is one of the most hilarious post of the year so far! Love it!

At least I got that going for me....lol I know we disagree on things but at the end of the day we're all fans of the same team.....I don't hold a grudge........

Real Deal Steel
07-31-2012, 06:38 PM
You're right!

Yes he would! There is NO WAY IN HELL a team is gonna pay 2 first round draft picks PLUS a contract Wallace would want. So a trade under the tag is NOT going to happen. Franschising Wallace would eventually play right into his hands (one way or another). His cap hit for next year would be ~$10mil. which the Steelers would struggle to afford under the cap restrictions they will be in. So, Their only choice would be to reach a deal that Wallace accepts. Lets say a deal that pays Mike ~ $55 mil. over 5 years would NOT ammount to $11mil. agains the cap next year... it would prob be more along the line of $5-7mil against the cap! The Steelers would almost have to make that move to get under the cap or be forced to do some serious shuffling!

The team that traded for him doesn't HAVE TO pay two first round picks if the Steelers don't enforce it.

In other words, let's say they did franchise tag him. The Steelers realistically just want 1 first round draft pick for him so he won't walk for nothing. So, they can tell the team that trades for him, " Just give us one first round pick becuase that's all we realistically really wanted when we tagged him anyway." Then the team gives us the first round pick and that's it.

The second first round pick doesn't have to be etched in stone unless the front office insist on it and all they really want is just one first round pick for Wallace anyway.

steelcitysfinestXL
07-31-2012, 07:57 PM
And why on gods green earth would they not want the second first!!?!?! You're making less and less sense as this all goes on! I'm sorry I don't mean to offend or insult you but that's just crazy. I'm done with the Wallace talks!

86WARD
07-31-2012, 09:26 PM
And why on gods green earth would they not want the second first!!?!?! You're making less and less sense as this all goes on! I'm sorry I don't mean to offend or insult you but that's just crazy. I'm done with the Wallace talks!

lol...not like the first round picks are "expensive" nowadays...

cmerrifield
07-31-2012, 09:28 PM

He is saying if somebody signs a franchised player, it requires 2 first rounds, but once that tender has been signed, that player is available for trade without any stipulations,

cbrunn
07-31-2012, 11:58 PM
his subject is as simple as this

They compliment each others games so perfectly

it would be a travesty to not resign Wallace ... as with Wallace, Brown, Sanders , Cotchery we have one of if not the best receiving core in the business...and their games complement each other so well

as far as Brown contract messing up Wallace contract i don't think that's the case at all ... The problem with getting Wallace is the Steelers have no cap room...Brown 1st yr is only 500k (doesn't hurt the cap much at all this year)... Wallace wasn't going to sign a contract for a 1st yr 500k salary ... the Steelers need to release some older players that just sit the bench to clear cap room for a 5mill or so first year salary for Wallace, and let it increase to like 10 and 12 in the last 2 years or whatever

Real Deal Steel
08-01-2012, 02:36 AM
He is saying if somebody signs a franchised player, it requires 2 first rounds, but once that tender has been signed, that player is available for trade without any stipulations,

sent from my Samsung Galaxy Siii using tapatalk 2 Thank you.

All the Front office would be doing by franchising him is protecting what they invested in him. We all know teams don't give up two first round picks for no one other then a QB. But it would allow the front office to negotiate.

steelcitysfinestXL
08-01-2012, 08:45 AM
Thank you.

All the Front office would be doing by franchising him is protecting what they invested in him. We all know teams don't give up two first round picks for no one other then a QB. But it would allow the front office to negotiate.

I understood what you meant now RealDeal. I'm going on the present situation in which the Steelers are still trying to negotiate with him. If he puts up similar or better numbers this year and they still haven't worked out a deal but want to, I would assume they would franchise him at the highest value to retain him. I agree, if the FO has no interest in retaining him after this season (maybe if he holds out til week 10) then yes you tag him and field offers.

K Train
08-01-2012, 09:06 AM
today is wallaces birthday, maybe they will surprise him with a deal lol

LatrobePA
08-01-2012, 10:01 AM

Let's hope, with the camp the other guys are having and if we could get him out there this could be a scary good offense..

Shaner83
08-01-2012, 12:48 PM
If someone offered us a 2nd rounder he would be on a plane to that city. I have heard that a 4th rounder is all we can expect. Hope I'm wrong

BlitzburghRockCity
08-01-2012, 12:53 PM
Still seeing reports that Dallas, Indy, and SD are interested in Wallace but no one has really jumped on it yet.

cmerrifield
08-01-2012, 01:07 PM
If someone offered us a 2nd rounder he would be on a plane to that city. I have heard that a 4th rounder is all we can expect. Hope I'm wrong

Wouldn't trade him for anything less than a second. Maybe a 3 and a 3 the following year or something like that. If he goes in free agency, there is a real good chance we will get a 3rd round comp pick

LatrobePA
08-01-2012, 03:15 PM
Once a star WR get's hurt this camp Mike's stock will rise!

Real Deal Steel
08-02-2012, 12:16 PM
According to this story from Rotoworld.com, History shows that holdouts don't do well the year they hold out. See the link:

http://www.rotoworld.com/articles/nfl/41022/125/holdout-history

So if history is any indication, the notion that Mike Wallace will ball out once he signs isn't going to happen.

steelcitysfinestXL
08-02-2012, 01:26 PM
According to this story from Rotoworld.com, History shows that holdouts don't do well the year they hold out. See the link:

http://www.rotoworld.com/articles/nfl/41022/125/holdout-history

So if history is any indication, the notion that Mike Wallace will ball out once he signs isn't going to happen.

That depends on our definition of "ball out": I think 70 recs for 1000 yards and 8 Tds is his career average. So I would expect those numbers even this year. Balling out for Mike IMO is 90 recs for 1400+ and 15+ Tds.

BlitzburghRockCity
08-02-2012, 01:44 PM
I hate it when players who are holding out say they don't want to report to camp in case they get hurt. Well you have 2.7 million on the table, more than you've ever made in your career so far. If you get hurt you get that 2.7 regardless. Using injury as an excuse just irritates me because if you weren't holding out you could still get hurt.

connecticutsteel
08-02-2012, 01:50 PM

They said they are not negotiating until he gets to camp so birthday deal with him (i know you were joking).Even Lesean Jackson told him holding out will hurt him in the end and he will regret it.I don't think they will trade him they will wait it out and he either signs or he doesn't .Wouldn't it be crazy if he held out all season and we won the super bowl that would suck for him lol

steelcitysfinestXL
08-02-2012, 01:51 PM
I understand your point Blitz but I think it's easy for the average fan to overlook injuries when we hear $2.7 MILLION dollars. I'm no millionaire, but I can sympathize with a guy in HIS situation. Guys holding out like MJD or Reevis I have no sympathy for!

LatrobePA
08-02-2012, 02:03 PM
I think it's time for the team to reach out a bit, or bring Plax in for at least a visit...

Black@Gold Forever32
08-02-2012, 03:51 PM
I understand 2.7 million is a ton of money and more then I will ever see in my lifetime....lol But we can't compare our situations to pro athletes.......I rather the players get the money then Art II....lol

Real Deal Steel
08-02-2012, 05:27 PM
I understand your point Blitz but I think it's easy for the average fan to overlook injuries when we hear $2.7 MILLION dollars. I'm no millionaire, but I can sympathize with a guy in HIS situation. Guys holding out like MJD or Reevis I have no sympathy for!

MJD and Revis are idiots. They just got new deals.

Real Deal Steel
08-02-2012, 05:29 PM
I think it's time for the team to reach out a bit, or bring Plax in for at least a visit...

You know what? That's not a bad call. Plax would be lethal in the red zone in three WR's formations. And he would take that safety out the box down their too which would allow Dwyer/Redman to scamper in for a TD.

Nolrog
08-03-2012, 04:24 PM

And if he gets injured because of his hold out, he won't put up the numbers he needs to justify the contract he wants (not to mention the fact that he's getting further and further behind in learning the new offense.)

Nolrog
08-03-2012, 04:24 PM

I think it's time for Wallace to reach out a bit.

LatrobePA
08-03-2012, 05:11 PM
I think it's time for Wallace to reach out a bit.

past time.. I meant time for them to sign another WR and let Wallace sit...

Real Deal Steel
08-03-2012, 05:40 PM
Well, it's obvious to all by now that Wallace hasn't wised up and signed his tender. This is officially a "Vincent Jackson" situation
now. But unlike the Chargers, we shouldn't let an asset just walk. It's time to line up the perspective bidders and trade him to the NFC somewhere and get at least a 2nd round pick for him and call it a day. Forget this "wait and see" stuff.

Big T
08-03-2012, 05:43 PM
Well, it's obvious to all by now that Wallace hasn't wised up and signed his tender. This is officially a "Vincent Jackson" situation
now. But unlike the Chargers, we shouldn't let an asset just walk. It's time to line up the perspective bidders and trade him to the NFC somewhere and get at least a 2nd round pick for him and call it a day. Forget this "wait and see" stuff.

It's not "officially a Vicent Jackson situation"... It's still training camp lol. Wait til he at least starts missing games. Not every weeklong holdout ends in a player sitting for the first ten weeks.

Real Deal Steel
08-03-2012, 05:46 PM
It's not "officially a Vicent Jackson situation"... It's still training camp lol. Wait til he at least starts missing games not every weeklong holdout ends in a player sitting for the first ten weeks.

We have a new offensive system that he needs to be on the field for. He can't just "come in" and play. He's got to get his timing and rhythm in this new offense and learn the nuances of it. He doesn't need to "miss games" for him not to be able to play.

It's very obvious that he's digging in. Especially the way the front office sent him a message with the siging of Brown.

Big T
08-03-2012, 05:56 PM
We have a new offensive system that he needs to be on the field for. He can't just "come in" and play. He's got to get his timing and rhythm in this new offense and learn the nuances of it. He doesn't need to "miss games" for him not to be able to play.

It's very obvious that he's digging in. Especially the way the front office sent him a message with the siging of Brown.

I don't know where all that came from. All I'm saying is that him missing the first week of camp doesn't mean he's going to sit out for the first ten weeks of the season. This is nowhere near "officially a Vincent Jackson situation"... Do you know how many players hold out of training camp each year? A lot lol. And how often does it end with the player sitting for the first ten weeks? Rarely.

Steelers fans just love to overreact to and overdramatize these kinds of things.

Black@Gold Forever32
08-03-2012, 06:04 PM
I don't know where all that came from. All I'm saying is that him missing the first week of camp doesn't mean he's going to sit out for the first ten weeks of the season. This is nowhere near "officially a Vincent Jackson situation"... Do you know how many players hold out of training camp each year? A lot lol. And how often does it end with the player sitting for the first ten weeks? Rarely.

Steelers fans just love to overreact to and overdramatize these kinds of things.

Well said.........I agree 100%.....

Nolrog
08-04-2012, 10:20 AM
past time.. I meant time for them to sign another WR and let Wallace sit...

Oh, sorry, misunderstood. If there's one out there, then yeah, go get him. Wallace is just going to be a distraction this year.

LatrobePA
08-04-2012, 10:53 AM
Yea at this point I'd bring someone in but that list is getting shorter as teams keep signing unemployed players..

Shaner83
08-04-2012, 11:55 AM

He can just come in and play because all Ben will need to say to him is "GO LONG"

BlitzburghRockCity
08-04-2012, 03:40 PM
Ben: Ok Mike, glad to have you back
Mike: Thanks Ben
Ben: Ok Mike go long
Mike: Ok here we go
Mike: Damn it..........dropped it again!!!!

Big T
08-04-2012, 03:46 PM

Not you too. Come on now big guy. I honestly don't see where everyone is getting this idea that Wallace drops a lot of passes...

As a refresher:
http://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2012/01/17/drop-rate-2011-which-receivers-are-dropping-the-ball/

LatrobePA
08-04-2012, 03:54 PM

Haaaaaa now you guys have turned the leader evil!! Thanks Mike!!! lol

JensK
08-04-2012, 08:42 PM
Not you too. Come on now big guy. I honestly don't see where everyone is getting this idea that Wallace drops a lot of passes...

As a refresher:
http://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2012/01/17/drop-rate-2011-which-receivers-are-dropping-the-ball/

I'll line up and say a whole lot of bad things about Wallace and him holding out (because I really truthfully believe it to be beyond stupid), but I agree that it is unfair to say that he drops a lot of passes. You have to remember that a lot of the passes he drops is because the ball was thrown way out of position. While he has amazing judgement to the ball, speed can only buy you so much space, especially if you have to wait for the ball.

JensK
08-05-2012, 09:27 AM
A few people from NFL Network speculate that Wallace might sign his tender between the first and the second pre-season game.

steelersbabex25
08-05-2012, 10:15 AM
A few people from NFL Network speculate that Wallace might sign his tender between the first and the second pre-season game.

:crossfingers: cause I'm pretty annoyed.

LatrobePA
08-05-2012, 10:19 AM

I saw that... I wonder if and when he shows up how Tomlin will work him back in at #1??

86WARD
08-05-2012, 10:37 AM
Works for me...

ChucktownSteeler
08-05-2012, 10:50 AM
It's purely guess work and speculation at this point.

C-town

JensK
08-05-2012, 11:48 AM
It's purely guess work and speculation at this point.

C-town

It has never been anything but that.

Big T
08-06-2012, 07:42 PM
Steelers quarterback Ben Roethlisberger said last week that he’s spoken to wide receiver Mike Wallace recently.

General Manager Kevin Colbert can’t say the same. During an interview with 93.7 in Pittsburgh, via SportsRadioInterviews.com, Colbert said that the team has not had any contact with Wallace because there’s not much to talk about at this point in time.

“Yeah there’s really no contact. Mike knows where things stand. The next step for him really is to report and to sign his tender, and until that happens, there won’t be anything else,” Colbert said. “And if that happens, nobody knows where it will go from there. So that’s where it is and has been, and hopefully it comes to an end sooner rather than later because it will be good for us, but it will also be good for Mike.”

Colbert also reiterated that trading Wallace isn’t something the Steelers would consider. He said they still might consider giving Wallace, who is set to make $2.7 million after being tendered as a restricted free agent, a long-term extension, but that there was nothing to talk about until Wallace joins the team at training camp.

Basically, then, it’s the same story that has been told since the June 15th deadline for other teams to sign Wallace away passed without any activity. With no movement on either side, that story will probably remain in heavy rotation a while longer.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/08/06/kevin-colbert-says-steelers-have-had-no-contact-with-mike-wallace/

Black@Gold Forever32
08-06-2012, 07:56 PM
I can't blame Wallace still.....The Steelers and every NFL team dumps players when they feel they're no longer worth their contract.....But really at this point if he does want a long term deal it won't get done unless he signs his tender......So please Mike just sign that damn tender....lol

LatrobePA
08-06-2012, 08:21 PM
Come on sign all ready so we can find something else to bitch about.. lol

mcfly06
08-06-2012, 09:46 PM
If they are going to trade him, they are waiting till preseason games fully start. But my guess no one wants him, i mean TO is going to Seattle, you'd think they would of signed him or traded for him already. So that to me makes me think he will most likely end up coming back. Me honestly i am over him, i want to trade him to get something in return back, not just let him walk. At least get some draft picks i mean we should get a 2nd round or maybe a 1st round pick. 1st round from a team that really really wanted a WR.

LatrobePA
08-06-2012, 10:29 PM
I got to thinking Colt would make a good back up here?? He's fearless, I liked that in him...

Big T
08-06-2012, 10:40 PM
I got to thinking Colt would make a good back up here?? He's fearless, I liked that in him...

Mr. Noodle arm? No thanks.

K Train
08-06-2012, 10:42 PM
hes would be a great backup here imo, hes a high efficiency passer and he has balls. not the biggest of arms, but when you complete at 70% you are doing something right

Big T
08-06-2012, 10:50 PM
hes would be a great backup here imo, hes a high efficiency passer and he has balls. not the biggest of arms, but when you complete at 70% you are doing something right

I see your point, and I guess he wouldn't really play. Im just saying if, God forbid, Ben would get hurt, the deep ball wouldn't be an option anymore lol.

BlitzburghRockCity
08-07-2012, 09:08 AM
"I think once we made that decision [to cut off negotiations] we're in a different mode and we would have to address any new negotiation if we get to that point," Colbert said at the time (http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/blog/eye-on-football/19667544/gm-colbert-steelers-last-offer-to-mike-wallace-now-off-the-table).

Well, the team's first week in Latrobe is in the books and its first preseason game is Thursday in Philadelphia (http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/teams/page/PHI/philadelphia-eagles). But still no Wallace, and it's not clear when we'll see him. During a radio appearance Monday, Colbert admitted that the two sides haven't communicated recently.

More from CBS Sports (http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/rapid-reports/post/19741507)

Big T
08-07-2012, 07:35 PM
Just another reminder that Wallace isn't the antichrist lol

@EdBouchette: "@wvhones: @EdBouchette Is Wallace aware that Steeler Nation has moved on from his contract tantrum?" ... Lambert, Blount, Woodson held out

Black@Gold Forever32
08-07-2012, 07:42 PM
Steeler Nation has moved on?......Ed must not read this site.......lol

ChucktownSteeler
08-07-2012, 07:46 PM
Ed can read?

Big T
08-07-2012, 08:35 PM
Steeler Nation has moved on?......Ed must not read this site.......lol

Ed wasn't the one saying that. He replied with Lambert, Blount, Woodson. Seriously though, some fans are ridiculous lol.

LatrobePA
08-07-2012, 10:07 PM
Ed wasn't the one saying that. He replied with Lambert, Blount, Woodson. Seriously though, some fans are ridiculous lol.

Hi my name is Kevin and I'm an ******* fan! HaaHHhaa

Big T
08-07-2012, 10:55 PM
Hi my name is Kevin and I'm an ******* fan! HaaHHhaa

Lol.

BlitzburghRockCity
08-08-2012, 09:07 AM
I think all of us still want Wallace to be here, no matter what we think of him he's been productive and can certainly help our offense. It's obvious that Wallace doesn't care what the fans think, and really most athletes don't when it comes to money. They are going to wait and hold out to try and get what they feel they're worth come hell or high water.

Just like fans, we always come back and cheer for them..LOL

The Steelers do not expect Mike Wallace to report to training camp before they depart St. Vincent College Aug. 18, but they have no intention of trading their Pro Bowl wide receiver at any point this season, a team source told the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette.

Wallace has yet to sign a one-year tender worth $2.7 million and the Steelers have not heard from him since training camp began July 25. However, several players remain in contact with him.

The source also said the Steelers will wait several weeks before they decide if they need to sign a veteran free-agent receiver.

The Steelers feel as though they have been more than fair with Wallace because they did not rescind or reduce his one-year tender in June -- which they were entitled to do under the guidelines of the collective bargaining agreement.

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/stories/sports/steelers/source-wallace-not-on-trading-block-for-steelers-647985/#ixzz22xJQI3wT

K Train
08-08-2012, 09:14 AM
i just hope they either sign him when he shows or deion branch him to someone for a first rounder

LatrobePA
08-08-2012, 09:38 AM
As bad as we all want him there I personally think it's a good thing for the unproven guys that he's not..

gtadroptop
08-08-2012, 10:05 AM
As bad as we all want him there I personally think it's a good thing for the unproven guys that he's not..

Good point. Where would he be if Santonio was still here? Where would Santonio have been if Plax was still on the team? There's always somebody waiting in the wings, either already on the roster or in an upcoming draft.

Real Deal Steel
08-08-2012, 11:52 AM
Good point. Where would he be if Santonio was still here? Where would Santonio have been if Plax was still on the team? There's always somebody waiting in the wings, either already on the roster or in an upcoming draft.

Exactly what I"ve been saying. We don't let a WR try and hold us hostage. We find guys at the WR position one way or another.

Real Deal Steel
08-08-2012, 11:57 AM
I consider Brown atleast a B grade WR at worse. I consider Cotchery atleast a C grade WR. If one of the younger guys emerge, they don't have to be an A grade..just a B grade. And I think Sanders may be a B grade also. Having a bunch of "B" grade WR's is fine with me.

But I'm hoping that Clemons makes the team and with his size/speed combo, the sky's the limit.

gtadroptop
08-08-2012, 12:40 PM
Exactly what I"ve been saying. We don't let a WR try and hold us hostage. We find guys at the WR position one way or another.

All Mike has to do is realize that and report to camp, otherwise he could go the career route of Santonio and Plax, minus the drug and gun issues.

Black@Gold Forever32
08-08-2012, 01:07 PM
I consider Brown atleast a B grade WR at worse. I consider Cotchery atleast a C grade WR. If one of the younger guys emerge, they don't have to be an A grade..just a B grade. And I think Sanders may be a B grade also. Having a bunch of "B" grade WR's is fine with me.

But I'm hoping that Clemons makes the team and with his size/speed combo, the sky's the limit.

If Sanders can stay healthy and turn out to be the WR, I think he can be then yea the Steelers won't miss Wallace much.......But if Sanders can't stay healthy and Wallace is still holding out then yea the Steelers will miss Mike Wallace big time.....Say Clemons does make the team.....How much can you really count on a 7th round pick this year?.....There has been plenty of late round picks or players not even drafted that have shined in the NFL.....But really the odds are against Clemons turning out be a productive player........He better work on his hands...From what I read he has been a drop machine so far in camp....I agree his size/speed is intriguing but still I don't see Clemons being anymore then a 4th or 5th WR this year......

Black@Gold Forever32
08-08-2012, 01:09 PM
All Mike has to do is realize that and report to camp, otherwise he could go the career route of Santonio and Plax, minus the drug and gun issues.

Plax did make a Super Bowl winning catch for the Giants....So you're saying Wallace could go on to win a Super Bowl for another team.....No to bad if you ask me.......

jpele
08-08-2012, 01:22 PM
I personally think Wallace blew it. He has speed and fairly good hand and nothing more.

Haleys' offense is predicated on running percise routes( an area Mike needs plenty of work ) He can't catch in traffic and don't even attempt to fight for the ball.

Judging by the way he's handling this situation I'm not sure he has the smarts to understand the playbook.

gtadroptop
08-09-2012, 12:06 AM
Plax did make a Super Bowl winning catch for the Giants....So you're saying Wallace could go on to win a Super Bowl for another team.....No to bad if you ask me.......

Plax was dumped by that team and the team after that. Currently unemployed.

steelcitysfinestXL
08-09-2012, 08:40 AM
I personally think Wallace blew it. He has speed and fairly good hand and nothing more.

Haleys' offense is predicated on running percise routes( an area Mike needs plenty of work ) He can't catch in traffic and don't even attempt to fight for the ball.

Judging by the way he's handling this situation I'm not sure he has the smarts to understand the playbook.

Even if I agreed with a single thing you said (and I don't) they said Alot of unfavorable things about Dwayne Bowe in his first few seasons. Then when Haley got there he turned that kid into a stud. Wallace has the physical tools to rival most WRs in this league. The things he doesn't excell at (high pointing the ball in jump ball situations/ running better routes) can easily be coached.

jpele
08-09-2012, 12:08 PM
Even if I agreed with a single thing you said (and I don't) they said Alot of unfavorable things about Dwayne Bowe in his first few seasons. Then when Haley got there he turned that kid into a stud. Wallace has the physical tools to rival most WRs in this league. The things he doesn't excell at (high pointing the ball in jump ball situations/ running better routes) can easily be coached.

Not while he is sitting home.

LatrobePA
08-09-2012, 12:10 PM
Not while he is sitting home.

This is true, it's like looking at a dirty mag, the chicks in there are just a dream! Same is true of Wallace sitting home, what good is he?

Real Deal Steel
08-09-2012, 12:12 PM
And here's another thing to consider,

How many times have we seen these holdout situation and the guy comes in and tries to do too much too soon and messes up his hamstrings? I don't see Wallace having a balls out year.

steelcitysfinestXL
08-09-2012, 03:22 PM
And here's another thing to consider,

How many times have we seen these holdout situation and the guy comes in and tries to do too much too soon and messes up his hamstrings? I don't see Wallace having a balls out year.

I think injuries like you mentioned have more to do with being out of shape like Woodley was last year. From what's been reported Wallace is in great shape, some have said the best of his career! When you show up in shape it's alot easier to get in "football" shape.

steelcitysfinestXL
08-09-2012, 03:28 PM
An article from profootballtalk.com of the radio interview that Ben had on 93.7 The Fan here in Pittsbrugh:

Ben Roethlisberger says the Steelers’ passing game needs receiver Mike Wallace, but he’s not worried about Wallace’s status as an unsigned free agent, because he’s confident that Wallace will be signed and ready to play before the season starts.

Roethlisberger told 93.7 the Fan in Pittsburgh that he called Wallace on August 1, his 26th birthday, and heard exactly what he hoped to hear: Wallace says he’s staying in shape and getting ready for the regular season, even though he’s not doing it in training camp.

“I talked to Mike several days back. It was his birthday, I gave him a call to wish him happy birthday and see how he was doing,” Roethlisberger said, via SportsRadioInterviews.com. “Mike’s training hard. He’s training with his helmet on just like he would be here. So he’s doing a lot of things. And without getting into the details of all the things I don’t want to get involved with, I have confidence he’ll be here and ready to go for the season.”

Roethlisberger said being away from camp is killing Wallace, because he desperately wants to be there with his teammates, and that anyone who thinks Wallace isn’t a team player — or that Wallace isn’t a player the Steelers’ offense needs — is completely wrong.

“They’re crazy. No offense, but they’re crazy,” Roethlisberger said of Steelers fans who don’t think the team needs Wallace. “I can’t say enough how good of a teammate he is. And that’s the most important thing when you have as many young guys as we have on our team. And Mike’s a little older and has been doing it for several years. Everyone talks about how great Antonio Brown is — and he is — but the reason Antonio is going to get open — not the only reason — but one of the reasons Antonio is going to get open is because Mike is stretching the field. Any time that Mike is on the field, he commands two guys.”
With the Steelers’ opener at Denver one month away, Roethlisberger sounds confident that Wallace will be stretching the field again soon.

K Train
08-09-2012, 03:28 PM
every hold out or every player thought to be on the verge of a decline comes in the "best shape of their life" every single year. i dont read to much into that

steelcitysfinestXL
08-09-2012, 03:34 PM
every hold out or every player thought to be on the verge of a decline comes in the "best shape of their life" every single year. i dont read to much into that

Its one thing to say it; its another thing to do it... so i agree. Im just going by what people like Ben, Antonio and Lewis have said. Im buying into it because this is essentially a "contract year" for him if he hits FA in '13

K Train
08-09-2012, 03:36 PM
“They’re crazy. No offense, but they’re crazy,” Roethlisberger said of Steelers fans who don’t think the team needs Wallace. “I can’t say enough how good of a teammate he is. And that’s the most important thing when you have as many young guys as we have on our team. And Mike’s a little older and has been doing it for several years. Everyone talks about how great Antonio Brown is — and he is — but the reason Antonio is going to get open — not the only reason — but one of the reasons Antonio is going to get open is because Mike is stretching the field. Any time that Mike is on the field, he commands two guys.”

maybe some people will buy into it hearing it straight from the guy that throws the ball to them

steelcitysfinestXL
08-09-2012, 03:38 PM
maybe some people will buy into it hearing it straight from the guy that throws the ball to them

Lol, i doubt it!

Big T
08-09-2012, 03:40 PM

Exactly. I was just about to post the story and say the exact same thing.

BlitzburghRockCity
08-09-2012, 04:08 PM
That's exactly right, Wallace is going to command double teams. He's too fast not too. That's exactly the reason his butt needs to be here. The offense is better with Wallace, we all know that, again the reason this ridiculous holdout needs to end.

Ben can talk all he wants about Wallace staying in shape. I'm sure he is staying in shape, I'd be shocked if he wasn't. Even practicing with your helmet on, that's all well and good. Even if Ben has been secretly passing him plays and hints on the playbook, you can't fake the timing with the offense and with Ben. That's where you're going to struggle early, assuming he shows up at some point.

So when he comes back, does he command the double team still? Probably so, which will help out AB and Sanders but how many deep balls are going to be over or under thrown, dropped, or intercepted in the process too?

Real Deal Steel
08-09-2012, 06:34 PM
There is no doubt it would be better to have Wallace on this team. But he is going to be behind no matter what Ben says. It's one thing to know the plays out of a book, but quite another thing to have to execute them on the field properly. Timing, not having to think and just knowing the play naturally are things that can only come about from actual practice and playing.

Wallace will be back (he'd be crazy not to) but he'll be behind. And...how many times have we seen a guy come back from a hold out situation and try to to do too much, too fast and pull his hamstrings?

Big T
08-09-2012, 06:39 PM
There is no doubt it would be better to have Wallace on this team. But he is going to be behind no matter what Ben says. It's one thing to know the plays out of a book, but quite another thing to have to execute them on the field properly. Timing, not having to think and just knowing the play naturally are things that can only come about from actual practice and playing.

Wallace will be back (he'd be crazy not to) but he'll be behind. And...how many times have we seen a guy come back from a hold out situation and try to to do too much, too fast and pull his hamstrings?

But he's a 1-trick pony right? How hard will it be for him to come back and run in a straight line? Since that's all he does...

;)

tburg68
08-09-2012, 06:40 PM
Two weeks is plenty of time to "catch up" to route timing, etc....

Wallace will be in camp before third preseason game, and will be up to speed before regular season starts.
If he stays out longer than that, I will have nothing more to say to defend him, because I can't see any advantage
to him staying out any longer than that.

Real Deal Steel
08-09-2012, 09:28 PM
But he's a 1-trick pony right? How hard will it be for him to come back and run in a straight line? Since that's all he does...

;)

Hahha. "one trick pony" was never what I said about him. I said that AB is a more complete WR and I stand by that.
But he could still pull a hammy running straight down the field too. :)

steelcitysfinestXL
08-10-2012, 05:04 PM
Good news, well some news on the Wallace front. There was n interview on the fan with a reporter told this news and plugged the website to find it: http://triblive.com/news/2388632-74/wallace-steelers-camp-shaw-contract-million-training-agent-aren-colbert

I didnt see a need to post a new Wallace thread but this is a pretty good read and i hope its all true!!!

BlitzburghRockCity
08-10-2012, 05:18 PM
I figured we could start a new one, just posted up that trib live article..but if you guys want to merge it into this one then just lemme know or one of the staff can do it too.

steelcitysfinestXL
08-10-2012, 09:20 PM
Sorry blitz I didn't see you posted that!!