PDA

View Full Version : Steelers sign Antonio Brown to 5-year extension

Big T
07-27-2012, 06:31 PM
The good news is that a Steelers receiver has gotten a new contract.* The bad news is that his name isn’t Mike Wallace.

Per a league source, the Steelers have signed receiver Antonio Brown to a five-year, $42.5 million extension.

Brown, a sixth-round draft pick in 2010, was the team’s MVP in 2011.

Signed under the old CBA, Brown was eligible for a new contract after two seasons.* Players drafted in 2011 and beyond must play three years before doing new deals.

The contract helps the Steelers avoid in 2013 another Mike Wallace-style standoff.* Since both players signed three-year contracts, each player was eligible for restricted free agency.

Brown gets a signing bonus of $8.5 million plus a base salary of $540,000 in 2012.* In 2013, he receives a $2.5 million roster bonus and a $2 million base salary.

In 2014, the salary increases to $6 million.* It stays at $6 million in 2015 before increasing to $8.25 million in 2016.* Finally, he receives $8.71 million in 2017.

It remains to be seen whether this will make the Steelers more likely or less likely to do a deal with Wallace, who is scheduled to earn $2.7 million in 2012.* It’s possible that the Steelers, exasperated by the negotiations with Wallace, offered to Brown the deal that they had offered to Wallace.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/07/27/steelers-ink-antonio-brown-to-long-term-deal/

strummerfan
07-27-2012, 06:32 PM
Awesome!!!

You know Wallace is pissed!

Big T
07-27-2012, 06:33 PM
Definitely a message to Wallace. You want a deal, get your *** to camp.

BlitzburghRockCity
07-27-2012, 06:34 PM
anybody wanna take a guess on what Mike Wallace is thinking?

- From BRC's Droid Bionic of Coolness

steelcitysfinestXL
07-27-2012, 06:38 PM
Sorry BigT didn't see you posted this: Mods please erase my thread!

HUNT4SEVEN
07-27-2012, 06:43 PM
Definitely a message to Wallace. You want a deal, get your *** to camp.

AGREED!!! wow AB deserves it, Congrats AB, Wallace is gonna out smart him self out the league,truth be told that was Wallace contract...

Big T
07-27-2012, 06:46 PM
@ClaytonESPN: Now that Steelers signed Antonio Brown to a five-year, $42.5 million deal, they will see if they can get Mike Wallace for more than $9M a yr

LarryNJ
07-27-2012, 06:47 PM
Nice! :) Congratulations AB! You deserve the contract. We are excited to have you in the black and gold.

Steel Trap86
07-27-2012, 06:54 PM
Love this. AB is gonna tear it up this season!

Look the **** out AFC North

connecticutsteel
07-27-2012, 06:57 PM
This is further evidence that the steelers don't give a **** if your super man .I don't get what he is thinking Wallace has zero leverage

mos07
07-27-2012, 07:16 PM
Hell Yeah!!!

Real Deal Steel
07-27-2012, 07:18 PM
Again...........

You see how Brown handled his buisness? Nice and quit between him and the front office while in camp and working. Everybody knows this is the way to do buisness with the Steelers front office. So how can Brown know how to handle buisness properly and not Wallace??????????????????????????

I wonder if players are laughing at him?

LatrobePA
07-27-2012, 07:20 PM
I love you AB!

Big T
07-27-2012, 07:22 PM
Again...........

You see how Brown handled his buisness? Nice and quit between him and the front office while in camp and working. Everybody knows this is the way to do buisness with the Steelers front office. So how can Brown know how to handle buisness properly and not Wallace??????????????????????????

I wonder if players are laughing at him?

Nowhere near the same situation. Not even remotely close. If this was 2013 then, ok. But it's not. Mike Wallace was in camp last year with no issues. Your comparison makes no sense.

Real Deal Steel
07-27-2012, 07:24 PM
Nowhere near the same situation. Not even remotely close. If this was 2013 then, ok. But it's not. Mike Wallace was in camp last year with no issues. Your comparison makes no sense.

Makes all the sense in the world. You don't like it because you've been a Wallace apologist and now your embarrased just like Wallace is right now.

Wallace should have shut his mouth asking for crazy money, You sign the tender, go to work and let your agent and the Steelers front office work on the contract quietly. Just like they do with everyone else.

Every poster in this room (including you) knew that but a player in the organization didn't??? Really??? I think we need Wallace to take the wonderlic test again. We must have missed a bad score or something.

Black@Gold Forever32
07-27-2012, 07:30 PM
I think its a knee jerk reaction by the Steelers since they don't want to go through the same situation with Brown next year....Plus they gave Brown way too much money....I like him and think is a damn good WR.........But Brown only has one productive season under his belt and only scored 2 receiving TD's last year.......

Big T
07-27-2012, 07:31 PM
Makes all the sense in the world. You don't like it because you've been a Wallace apologist and now your embarrased just like Wallace is right now.

Wallace should have shut his mouth asking for crazy money, You sign the tender, go to work and let your agent and the Steelers front office work on the contract quietly. Just like they do with everyone else.

Lol it makes no sense at all. It's an idiotic argument. Antonio Brown, just like Wallace last season, had a year left on his contract and was in camp, working, not whining about his contract. Who knows what would've happened next offseason if Antonio didnt get his extension now. I love Antonio Brown and am excited about this, but it's a comparison that cannot logically be made.

Raleigh Steel
07-27-2012, 07:31 PM
Waving my terrible towel!!!!

AB=AD (All Day)

Is it September yet?

Real Deal Steel
07-27-2012, 07:33 PM
Big T

My point has been proven and most agree with me. You want a new contract with the Steelers, you go about your buisness behind the scenes without the diva attitude. Brown just proved it. You and Wallace can continue to make excuses for bad behavior. I'm done.

BlitzburghRockCity
07-27-2012, 07:33 PM
I think its a knee jerk reaction by the Steelers since they don't want to go through the same situation with Brown next year....Plus they gave Brown way too much money....I like him and think is a damn good WR.........But Brown only has one productive season under his belt and only scored 2 receiving TD's last year.......

I can see your point, and I think it has a lot to do with them possibly losing Wallace and going through this with Brown next year. Even if AB said he'd never do that, you just never know when the times comes.

It's a pretty decent amount I think for Brown, after that season last year they feel confident enough in him. Plus in his first year he was barely on the field until the playoffs so who knows, perhaps he'd have had bigger numbers?

Real Deal Steel
07-27-2012, 07:35 PM
Blitz,

When you handle your business in a manor that is simpatico with management, good things happen.

Black@Gold Forever32
07-27-2012, 07:37 PM
I can see your point, and I think it has a lot to do with them possibly losing Wallace and going through this with Brown next year. Even if AB said he'd never do that, you just never know when the times comes.

It's a pretty decent amount I think for Brown, after that season last year they feel confident enough in him. Plus in his first year he was barely on the field until the playoffs so who knows, perhaps he'd have had bigger numbers?

Don't get me wrong I like Antonio Brown and glad he is resigned but that is way to much money to a WR that maybe never be a number 1 WR......Lets face it he has to do it again this year........I doubt Wallace is signed long term now and I was never in favor of trading him but its clear the Steelers should have just traded him now......Most will applaud the Steelers but this whole thing with Wallace and Brown shows me the Steelers messed up greatly on how they dealt with Mike Wallace...

Real Deal Steel
07-27-2012, 07:46 PM
Don't get me wrong I like Antonio Brown and glad he is resigned but that is way to much money to a WR that maybe never be a number 1 WR......Lets face it he has to do it again this year........I doubt Wallace is signed long term now and I was never in favor of trading him its clear the Steelers should have just traded him now......Most will applaud the Steelers but this whole thing with Wallace and Brown shows me the Steelers messed up greatly on how they dealt with Mike Wallace...

Pretty harsh.

Black@Gold Forever32
07-27-2012, 07:47 PM
Anybody know the guaranteed money in the Brown deal?.....That will be the key to determine if its a good deal or not.....Right now that contract is way too much money for Antonio Brown.......

scudmissile29
07-27-2012, 07:51 PM
Don't get me wrong I like Antonio Brown and glad he is resigned but that is way to much money to a WR that maybe never be a number 1 WR......Lets face it he has to do it again this year........I doubt Wallace is signed long term now and I was never in favor of trading him but its clear the Steelers should have just traded him now......Most will applaud the Steelers but this whole thing with Wallace and Brown shows me the Steelers messed up greatly on how they dealt with Mike Wallace...

he's about to become the #1, and bargain compared to others like Fitzgerald and #1 wide receiver contracts.

goodbye mike wallace.

Real Deal Steel
07-27-2012, 07:52 PM
This is the post from rotoworld.com

Steelers signed WR Antonio Brown to a five-year, $42.5 million extension through 2017.
Brown had $540,000 remaining on his rookie deal, and was slated for restricted free agency in 2013. The extension is a slap in the face of Mike Wallace, against whom the Steelers' standoff now has the potential to get quite ugly. Wallace can forget about a contract extension of his own, and would almost certainly have to play for $2.742 million this season, assuming he ever reports and/or plays for the Steelers. There's bad blood in the water.

Real Deal Steel
07-27-2012, 07:59 PM
Here are some numbers of Browns contract:

Brown gets a signing bonus of $8.5 million plus a base salary of $540,000 in 2012. In 2013, he receives a $2.5 million roster bonus and a $2 million base salary.

In 2014, the salary increases to $6 million. It stays at $6 million in 2015 before increasing to $8.25 million in 2016. Finally, he receives $8.71 million in 2017.

Zachintosh66
07-27-2012, 07:59 PM
bottom line is... the steelers often extend guys in the year before their final year of their contract

they didnt do that with Wallace... at least publicly. to me thats a statement with the franchises' feelings of wallace.

they could of tried last year but he could have turned it down. we dont know that... now wallace has absolutely no leverage. if he still continues to hold out he is a moron.

Real Deal Steel
07-27-2012, 08:00 PM
bottom line is... the steelers often extend guys in the year before their final year of their contract

they didnt do that with Wallace... at least publicly. to me thats a statement with the franchises' feelings of wallace.

they could of tried last year but he could have turned it down. we dont know that... now wallace has absolutely no leverage. if he still continues to hold out he is a moron.

Thank you.

Big T, please digest that.

Black@Gold Forever32
07-27-2012, 08:04 PM
Brown has to live up to the contract now.....I think its funny some knocked Mike Wallace for not being a complete WR or legit number 1..........But they think Antonio Brown is? Brown better produce or I'm going to be the most vocal if he doesn't......I expect 1200 yards and 7-8 TD's now...........

Zachintosh66
07-27-2012, 08:10 PM
Brown has to live up to the contract now.....I think its funny some knocked Mike Wallace for not being a complete WR or legit number 1..........But they think Antonio Brown is? Brown better produce or I'm going to be the most vocal if he doesn't......I expect 1200 yards and 7-8 TD's now...........

um... he was the team MVP last year and only had 1100 and 2TDs (rec) 4 total...

Black@Gold Forever32
07-27-2012, 08:24 PM
um... he was the team MVP last year and only had 1100 and 2TDs (rec) 4 total...

Yes I know he was ****ing team MVP....thanks for helping so much....lol Just saying people constantly knocked Wallace for not being a complete WR or a legit number 1.....But Antonio Brown is after one productive season? Wallace scored 24 TD's in three years...........Brown won't even sniff that amount in three years......

86WARD
07-27-2012, 08:32 PM
May not signal the end for Wallace...lol...they have Wallace if they want him for at least the next two seasons and whose to say they can't sign him?

steelcitysfinestXL
07-27-2012, 08:33 PM
I'm glad AB got a deal, early and a lucrative one for what he's done thus far! But this shows me that the FO either, didn't negotiate with Wallace last season like they should've or like was mentioned before, he didn't take the offer. Either way the ball was dropped on the Wallace deal because there is not reason they couldn't have locked up both players! Congrats to AB, love the kid but I expect 10 Tds this year, lol!

Black@Gold Forever32
07-27-2012, 08:40 PM
I'm glad AB got a deal, early and a lucrative one for what he's done thus far! But this shows me that the FO either, didn't negotiate with Wallace last season like they should've or like was mentioned before, he didn't take the offer. Either way the ball was dropped on the Wallace deal because there is not reason they couldn't have locked up both players! Congrats to AB, love the kid but I expect 10 Tds this year, lol!

Well said.......You're right AB has to produce like a number 1 WR now......Just funny how some question Mike Wallace on being a complete wr or a legit number 1 but they seem to think AB is....I like Antonio Brown and think he is a damn good.....But I stand by my opinion of him being a solid number 2 or a damn good slot WR.........With the contract he received he is going to have to be more and then some.....

I see noway Mike Wallace being signed long term now....Hopefully I'm wrong......

Real Deal Steel
07-27-2012, 08:53 PM
Well,

They saw enough of something in Brown to sign him to this lucrative deal. I'd like to see Wallace tuck tail, come on in and sign a reasonable deal himself and put this behind him. He's been embarrassed and sent a message. Hopefully he interprets the message correctly. But I'm not sure if the deal for Brown closes the door on Wallace or not. I hope not.

Clevelandsux
07-27-2012, 09:29 PM
i think that was a big f you to wallace. i like wallace and still think the steelers need him this year. i just don't think too small wrs will get it done.

tburg68
07-27-2012, 09:37 PM
Wallace will still play for the Steelers this year, and put up bigger numbers than Brown. Brown is not a better receiver that Wallace, period. If this is a choice of Brown over Wallace, which I don't necessarily think is the case, it would be a FO mistake.

Black@Gold Forever32
07-27-2012, 09:45 PM
Well,

They saw enough of something in Brown to sign him to this lucrative deal. I'd like to see Wallace tuck tail, come on in and sign a reasonable deal himself and put this behind him. He's been embarrassed and sent a message. Hopefully he interprets the message correctly. But I'm not sure if the deal for Brown closes the door on Wallace or not. I hope not.

I like Antonio Brown and think is a very good player and I want to see him put up another productive season....Plus some question Wallace as a legit number 1 but seem to think Brown is a legit number 1 WR........But the Steelers did draw their line in the sand with resigning Brown.....Really Wallace should just sign his tender sooner rather then later now......

greennick
07-27-2012, 10:36 PM
Given we are looking at playing more of a quick release short passing game, the slot receiver will likely get more opportunities. Brown is going to have to take those to earn these dollars...

Despite the high amount, still am happy he is signed. Hopefully Wallace signs his tender, comes to camp, and gets his contract too.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

BlacknGold Bleeder
07-27-2012, 11:13 PM
Here are some numbers of Browns contract:

Brown gets a signing bonus of $8.5 million plus a base salary of $540,000 in 2012. In 2013, he receives a $2.5 million roster bonus and a $2 million base salary.

In 2014, the salary increases to $6 million. It stays at $6 million in 2015 before increasing to $8.25 million in 2016. Finally, he receives $8.71 million in 2017.

If these numbers are accurate then I don't think the contract is out of line for him. I mean looking at those numbers IF he continues to improve his game those numbers are not that unrealistic. 2017 he will be making 8 million,that won't be that much money for a possible number 2 receiver by then. In the long term this is pretty cheap contract if he continues to improve his game...

86WARD
07-27-2012, 11:21 PM
Those numbers and how they progress are why I don't think it's out of the question that Wallace could also be signed...

LevonKirkland99
07-28-2012, 12:37 AM
The haven't signed Wallace yet? WOW!!!

BlitzburghRockCity
07-28-2012, 02:00 AM
Tweet from Gerry Dulac:
When Wallace didn't report to camp, steelers called Drew Rosenhaus Wed night. He came to SVC Thurs and spent 2 days getting Brown deal done

Do not be surprised if Steelers trade Mike Wallace during training camp. They no longer believe they can sign him long term.

Big T
07-28-2012, 02:00 AM
Thank you.

Big T, please digest that.

Lol Wallace was coming off his second season and the team had a **** ton of huge veteran players that needed signed. They signed Polamalu, Ike, Woodley, and Timmons to lucrative, long-term contracts that offseason. They had no money to sign Wallace lol. If Antonio Brown was in this situation last year, he wouldn't have gotten this contract. This year, they didn't sign anyone to a long-term extension so they had some money to do it. Another reason why Antonio's situation isn't comparable to Wallace's.

While I've had no issues with how Wallace handled the situation up 'til now, it's obvious that he needs to swallow his pride and get into camp if he wants his deal. I'm still holding out hope that a deal can get done.

scudmissile29
07-28-2012, 04:39 AM
Yes I know he was ****ing team MVP....thanks for helping so much....lol Just saying people constantly knocked Wallace for not being a complete WR or a legit number 1.....But Antonio Brown is after one productive season? Wallace scored 24 TD's in three years...........Brown won't even sniff that amount in three years......

wrong.

Mike Wallace disappeared for half the season.

Antonio Brown didn't.

You can't compare Wallace who was #3#2, and #1 in his first three years compared to a #4,#2... that makes no sense.

Please shitcan Wallace.

It's not the end of the world, many more great receivers will come into the league.

scudmissile29
07-28-2012, 04:43 AM

that's fine.

With Todd Haley and not Bruce Arians, should be doable.

He had 1108 yards last year, nothing out of the norm adding 100 yards (6 yards more per game so basically a catch).

Black@Gold Forever32
07-28-2012, 06:18 AM
wrong.

Mike Wallace disappeared for half the season.

Antonio Brown didn't.

You can't compare Wallace who was #3#2, and #1 in his first three years compared to a #4,#2... that makes no sense.

Please shitcan Wallace.

It's not the end of the world, many more great receivers will come into the league.

How am I wrong? Again all I'm saying is many of you have knocked Wallace for not being a number 1 WR or a complete WR........But you seem to think Antonio Brown is......Why do you think Brown had so much success last year?.....Mike Wallace dictating coverage that is why......Say you get your wish and the Steelers shitcan Wallace you really think Antonio Brown will be as productive without Wallace?......

Anyways about my comparison I wasn't including Browns rookie year since he hardly played........So Brown the next two years has to score 22 TD's to match Wallace's 24 in three years......And that is including Wallace's rookie year so yea I'm going to say it again Brown won't sniff 24........

No its not the end of the world if Mike Wallace is no longer a Steeler......But it would nice for Ben to keep his most dangerous WR for a change and to keep the three of Wallace, Brown, and Sanders together as long as possible.......The Steelers WR core is solid without Wallace but with Mike Wallace the WR core is one of the better ones in the NFL.......

scudmissile29
07-28-2012, 06:32 AM
Personally, I don't care if Brown gets 22 touchdowns or not, receivers getting touchdowns wasn't the problem, it was redzone problems and poor playcalling as we all know.

Mike is a diva, I knew it since he had that stupid mohawk afro haircut that we were going to have problems with this down the line with the young money title.

This wasn't about Antonio getting an extension.

This was all about Mike.

This was a cold blooded no bluffing attack, now he knows he better go to camp (I want him traded, he's going to leave us anyway).

The Steelers did the right thing and showed they weren't bitches. Wallace is Rooney's bitch, and just for even more cold blood, cut his salary as they can, he's just another hood rat looking for a lot of money with no heart,,, owens, iverson, come to mind.

These athlete's have problems these days, growing up in a dump and watching **** like soulja boy rap videos about $$ doesn't help, they just think they can have all that money, they need to come back down to earth and have a reality check.

Nolrog
07-28-2012, 08:25 AM
Do not be surprised if Steelers trade Mike Wallace during training camp. They no longer believe they can sign him long term.

First, let me say, I'm thrilled they got this deal done. Next year, with Wallace likely not here (or being franchised) and Brown and Sanders both impending FAs, it created too much uncertainty for the team. That's been mitigated to an extent now, which is great.

As for Wallace, I heard on the radio the other day that he's still looking for Larry Fitzgerald money. That's ludicrous, he's not in Fitzgerald's class. I'm surprised that after looking for that money in free agency (draft pick aside) and not getting anywhere with it, he hasn't budged off that number yet. I would not be surprised to see him get traded. What do you think we could get back? A #2? A 1?

ChucktownSteeler
07-28-2012, 08:33 AM
Great news!

Congrats Antonio Brown.

Next up: Manny Sanders.

Great news indeed! I can buy a #84 shirt now.

Real Deal Steel
07-28-2012, 09:13 AM
Tweet from Gerry Dulac:
When Wallace didn't report to camp, steelers called Drew Rosenhaus Wed night. He came to SVC Thurs and spent 2 days getting Brown deal done

Hey Blitz,

If I were the Rams, I'd be swooping in right now. Wallace would be perfect for them and I think we can get a first round pick for him too. I'm looking for a win/win situation for all sides concerned. But this is all on Wallace. His agent came out publicly and said he has nothing to do with these decisions he's making.

TarlsQtr
07-28-2012, 09:18 AM
Tweet from "Faux John Madden" which I found funny: "Mike Wallace has been demanding Larry Fitzgerald like money, while Antonio Brown is satisfied with Mike Wallace's money."

TarlsQtr
07-28-2012, 09:23 AM
Tweet from Gerry Dulac:

Which is what I said in another thread. I would love for them to sign Wallact too, but the Steelers are just not willing to put too much money into one position. A trade or sign/trade is very possible.

strummerfan
07-28-2012, 09:26 AM
Tweet from "Faux John Madden" which I found funny: "Mike Wallace has been demanding Larry Fitzgerald like money, while Antonio Brown is satisfied with Mike Wallace's money."

That's hysterical!

ChucktownSteeler
07-28-2012, 10:09 AM

That's some funny stuff right there.

c-town

Steveo
07-28-2012, 01:03 PM
As many balls as he dropped last year he might want to attend a Larry Fitzgerald receiver camp before demanding the same money.
Sent from my Lumia 710 using Board Express

Big T
07-28-2012, 01:38 PM
As many balls as he dropped last year he might want to attend a Larry Fitzgerald receiver camp before demanding the same money.
Sent from my Lumia 710 using Board Express

Do me a favor please, ok? Follow this link:

http://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2012/01/17/drop-rate-2011-which-receivers-are-dropping-the-ball/

Now, if you would, please tell me the name of the receiver that was the 13th best receiver in the league last season in terms of drop percentage. He's the same guy that is just 5 spots below Fitz. He's the one that had 4 total drops last season, ONE more than Fitz had with 3 (and Fitz had only 8 more catches, with 7 more catchable balls thrown his way)...

What was that players name again?

You were saying?

Zachintosh66
07-28-2012, 02:15 PM
Please dont ever put Fitz and Wallace in te same sentence... Wallace is all speed, yes that is game changing now, but he will be ordinary before his eventual "new" contact will end.

Im not saying he couldn't develop into a complete receiver, but he isn't one now and shouldn't get Fitz money. Regardless what the stats say...

and yes i do think AB got a bit more $ than I expected, but if he performs like he did last season it will be worth it. If they wait to sign AB and he does have a good year again, they will have "saved" money by signing him comprared to another stellar season and him on the market.

LatrobePA
07-28-2012, 02:18 PM
Looking more and more like Wallace will get traded. Is it a safe bet if that happens we'll see Plax back in town?

coldrolled
07-28-2012, 02:20 PM
If we traded Wallace for a rams pick we could maybe pick up a #1 safety or a #1 QB for a backup in training.

Zachintosh66
07-28-2012, 02:26 PM
i heard this morning Wallace to Jets for Cromartie... what you all think?

LatrobePA
07-28-2012, 02:35 PM

No thanks.. I don't like that trade!

Big T
07-28-2012, 02:42 PM

So. Everyone on here is callin Wallace a selfish, money hungry diva since he didn't show up for the first couple days of camp (with no reason whatsoever to be called a diva before this), then you mention Cromartie? LOL that's pretty rich.

Big T
07-28-2012, 02:45 PM
Please dont ever put Fitz and Wallace in te same sentence... Wallace is all speed, yes that is game changing now, but he will be ordinary before his eventual "new" contact will end.

Im not saying he couldn't develop into a complete receiver, but he isn't one now and shouldn't get Fitz money. Regardless what the stats say...

and yes i do think AB got a bit more $ than I expected, but if he performs like he did last season it will be worth it. If they wait to sign AB and he does have a good year again, they will have "saved" money by signing him comprared to another stellar season and him on the market.

I was in no way comparing the two. I was just throwing the stats out there to show that this idea that Wallace drops a lot of balls is asinine. Fitzgerald is one of the best WRs in history. Wallace obviously isn't on that level.

ChucktownSteeler
07-28-2012, 02:45 PM
So. Everyone on here is callin Wallace a selfish, money hungry diva since he didn't show up for the first couple days of camp (with no reason whatsoever to be called a diva before this), then you mention Cromartie? LOL that's pretty rich.

He said he heard it on the radio and the next response was "no thanks".

Big T
07-28-2012, 02:50 PM
He said he heard it on the radio and the next response was "no thanks".

Lol I know. I'm just saying. Couldn't imagine the "uproar" around here lol

LatrobePA
07-28-2012, 02:53 PM
I love Wallace but it's not looking good for him..

Big T
07-28-2012, 03:37 PM

I know. It's a damn shame too...

JensK
07-28-2012, 05:36 PM

I still think the media is throwing the AB signing way out of proportions. He is barely counting towards the cap this year nor next, so there should still be plenty to pay Wallace. While I do believe that the Steelers are somewhat annoyed with him, I don't see any scenario in which they are not still interested in signing him to a long term deal. However that desire is obviously fading every day he decides to stay away.

LatrobePA
07-28-2012, 05:40 PM
Id say if Wallace showed up in the next few days and signed in good faith the team would find a way to sign him but I just can't see that happening now..

JensK
07-28-2012, 05:52 PM
Id say if Wallace showed up in the next few days and signed in good faith the team would find a way to sign him but I just can't see that happening now..

If Wallace don't want to loose out on a lot of money this, to me, is pretty much the only option he has. There is no way he is not playing for the Steelers unless he gets traded (which I personally don't see happening). If he refuses to come to camp, he is unlikely to see a whole lot of playing time. I very much doubt that any team would be willing to pay him top money next year based on what he then have done the last 1.5 years.

strummerfan
07-28-2012, 06:05 PM
If Wallace don't want to loose out on a lot of money this, to me, is pretty much the only option he has. There is no way he is not playing for the Steelers unless he gets traded (which I personally don't see happening). If he refuses to come to camp, he is unlikely to see a whole lot of playing time. I very much doubt that any team would be willing to pay him top money next year based on what he then have done the last 1.5 years.

Exactly, the only way he gets paid the big money that he wants is if he plays his *** off this year. Holding out until November only hurts him.

Real Deal Steel
07-28-2012, 07:07 PM
You guys are making too much good sense.

The actions that Wallace has taken do not display good sense. So why would you expect good sense from him now?

Danger DANJ
07-28-2012, 07:15 PM
First let me say that once Wallace decided not to show up for camp, I didn't like it at all. He has to come to camp if he wants to continue contract talks.

But, this signing of Brown is too much. I get the Steelers want to make a statement to Wallace and get Brown locked up to avoid issues after the season but come on. No way Brown is worth that much. I love that he his extended for 5 years but giving him that much money will just make it that much harder to sign Wallace. Not because they have less money to spend but because Wallace will look at that contract as a reason he should get more.

Brown did as well as he did because of Wallace demanding so much attention from defenses. If Wallace is gone, I fear Brown will not live up to his contract unless Sanders can stay healthy and finally have a breakout season.

As far as Wallace being traded, I honestly don't see it happening unless the Steelers trade him for pennies. No team is going to pay Wallace the kind of money everyone is saying he is demanding.

I read that Wallace was offered a 5 year $50 Million deal and turned it down. If that is true, he is definitely an idiot. But, seeing what Brown just got, Wallace should get more like 5 years $55 Million.

At this point I see two things happening...Wallace signs his tender and comes to camp or he sits out until week 10.

jpele
07-28-2012, 10:15 PM
Brown did as well as he did because of Wallace demanding so much attention from defenses.

And unlike elite receivers Wallace was useless when defenses bracketed him, Mike and or his agent need to understand that Wallace is only an above average receiver with elite speed..BTW congrats to AB on the extension.

BlitzburghRockCity
07-28-2012, 11:41 PM
This is only the 3rd time in team history that they've given an extension to a player before their final year was up. I think it speaks volumes of their confidence in him and the kid so far this offseason has delivered in terms of his prepartion and offseason workouts. I think most of us would have been more comfortable with a deal like this after the 2012 season for AB, but given the Wallace situation they didn't want to go into 2013 with their top 3 receivers in some type of free agency status.

SnakeEyes43
07-29-2012, 02:21 AM
I was in Latrobe the last three days, and to those saying Brown is not worth the money, your either stupid or crazy. He was the MVP for a reason and he gives the offense a much needed spark. In training camp his routes looked crazy sharp, he looked more aggressive and he made some great catches.

I know it's only camp, but the 1st team offense and defense scrimmage the last hour of camp was pretty heated and there was some hitting and trash talking going on. It was awesome, and Brown stood out as he was having a great camp.

steelchamp204
07-29-2012, 03:39 AM
I agree on the fact that Brown must be having a outstanding camp. Yes, he has made most of his money in this new deal from past performance. The rest of the money must have come from this offseason also. being in great shape, doing above what is expected of him in practice. I think he is having a huge offseason as well, playing part of getting paid 10mill a year.

TarlsQtr
07-29-2012, 09:51 AM
Having a "great camp?" Shouldn't we have more than 3 or so days of "camp" before we start making HoF busts for guys doing so well?

Real Deal Steel
07-29-2012, 10:09 AM
Everyone is saying, " Brown got what he got because of teams doubling up on Wallace." Obviously, that is not what the coaches and front office think or they wouldn't have given Brown that type of deal.

There is more to Brown then people want to give credit for. So I'm going with the guys who have looked at Brown on film more then any of us on this one.

Shaner83
07-29-2012, 11:52 AM
Go to camp! catch some balls! win a championship! sign a nice contract next year! nuff said!

ChucktownSteeler
07-29-2012, 01:07 PM
Go to camp! catch some balls! win a championship! sign a nice contract next year! nuff said!

Bingo! We have a winner!

Nolrog
07-29-2012, 01:14 PM
No thanks.. I don't like that trade!

Same here.

Black@Gold Forever32
07-29-2012, 01:32 PM
I'm happy Antonio received his deal since he did deserve it and the contract looks more reasonable now......Just kind of took me by surprise to see him extended early........I still don't see him as a legit number 1 WR but I hope he proves me wrong and has a great year....

NorCalSteel
07-29-2012, 01:51 PM
AB didn't even start the whole year and put up huge numbers..if he would have started every game where would he have finished..he is a very capable #1. But look out for sanders if he stays healthy I have been saying it all off season..Those two guys heal t Wallace will be watching allot of football from home regretting every second..he needs a new agent..

JensK
07-30-2012, 12:53 PM
I'm happy Antonio received his deal since he did deserve it and the contract looks more reasonable now......Just kind of took me by surprise to see him extended early........I still don't see him as a legit number 1 WR but I hope he proves me wrong and has a great year....

He was not really paid number 1 money though, so I guess that is all good! :lol:

TarlsQtr
07-30-2012, 02:16 PM
He was not really paid number 1 money though, so I guess that is all good! :lol:

I have not looked at what others receive but I would say that AB is getting #1 money. Perhaps not ELITE money but at least the average of what most team's # 1s get.

Steveo
07-30-2012, 02:29 PM
Do me a favor please, ok? Follow this link:

http://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2012/01/17/drop-rate-2011-which-receivers-are-dropping-the-ball/

Now, if you would, please tell me the name of the receiver that was the 13th best receiver in the league last season in terms of drop percentage. He's the same guy that is just 5 spots below Fitz. He's the one that had 4 total drops last season, ONE more than Fitz had with 3 (and Fitz had only 8 more catches, with 7 more catchable balls thrown his way)...

What was that players name again?

You were saying?

Wasn't my intent to upset or offend especially with my first post, and please don't get me wrong I like Wallace. I just don't think he's worth the money he's demanding especially if it would interfere or prevent us from signing Brown, and Sanders. The former no longer being the case.

As for his stats, I will give you on the surface they look great. Unfortunately they don’t always tell the whole story; especially as has already been stated here, he seemed to disappear for the second half of the season in favor of Brown.

What I saw last year, and let me preface with this is only my humble opinion, was a receiver who if he could get behind the defense was deadly. Unfortunately, if the ball wasn’t placed just right he didn’t seem to be able to correct for it, and every time he had to fight a corner or safety for the ball he would seem to pull up and throw his hands in the air.
Again sorry if I offended, I hope to get to know you all better and talk more Steelers Football.

Big T
07-30-2012, 02:44 PM
Wasn't my intent to upset or offend especially with my first post, and please don't get me wrong I like Wallace. I just don't think he's worth the money he's demanding especially if it would interfere or prevent us from signing Brown, and Sanders. The former no longer being the case.

As for his stats, I will give you on the surface they look great. Unfortunately they don’t always tell the whole story; especially as has already been stated here, he seemed to disappear for the second half of the season in favor of Brown.

What I saw last year, and let me preface with this is only my humble opinion, was a receiver who if he could get behind the defense was deadly. Unfortunately, if the ball wasn’t placed just right he didn’t seem to be able to correct for it, and every time he had to fight a corner or safety for the ball he would seem to pull up and throw his hands in the air.
Again sorry if I offended, I hope to get to know you all better and talk more Steelers Football.

None taken at all. It would take a lot to offend me lol. I can be quite the ******* at times and I can see how I definitely came off a little harsh in that post. My point there was only about drops. It had nothing to do with anything else. Yes, stats can be misleading but not when people bag on Wallace for dropping a bunch of passes when that simply isn't the case. The man was borderline top-10 in the NFL last season in terms of not dropping catchable balls. That was my only point: to show that this perceived notion that Wallace has Limas disease (you like that?) is unwarranted.

Again, I apologize for being a little rude. Welcome to Steeleraddicts.

TarlsQtr
07-30-2012, 02:49 PM
Everyone is saying, " Brown got what he got because of teams doubling up on Wallace." Obviously, that is not what the coaches and front office think or they wouldn't have given Brown that type of deal.

There is more to Brown then people want to give credit for. So I'm going with the guys who have looked at Brown on film more then any of us on this one.

That Brown got his deal is in NO WAY indicative of them thinking Brown is better than Wallace or that the FO does not feel Wallace contributed greatly to AB's success. It only means they believe AB is valuable, which he is.

cmerrifield
07-30-2012, 03:05 PM
That Brown got his deal is in NO WAY indicative of them thinking Brown is better than Wallace or that the FO does not feel Wallace contributed greatly to AB's success. It only means they believe AB is valuable, which he is.

They were careful to leave room for Wallace with Brown's deal. The only cap change for Brown this year is his signing bonus.

sent from my Samsung Galaxy Siii using tapatalk 2

steelcitysfinestXL
07-30-2012, 03:13 PM
They were careful to leave room for Wallace with Brown's deal. The only cap change for Brown this year is his signing bonus.

sent from my Samsung Galaxy Siii using tapatalk 2

:plus1: They were, this FO wants Wallace on this team for the future, they've made that clear. I also think this wasnt meant to be a "slap in the face" to Wallace, but, its not really typical for the Steelers to hold a press confrence for a player extension. They didnt do it last year when they resigned Ike, Timmons or Woodley. They are going to ensure there is room to offer Wallace a contract they deem fair when he does return!

Real Deal Steel
07-30-2012, 07:36 PM
Steelcitysfinest,

I agree. They do want Wallace. So it's Wallace's move now. We'll see if he continues to be a dumb ***.

ChucktownSteeler
07-31-2012, 07:02 AM
The ball is squarely in Mike's court. They have publicly said they do not want to trade him and in one of these articles Colbert said to sign the tender, get to camp, and we'll see how things go. That is as close to saying sign the tender and we will get you a long term deal here.

Mike has to wise up. This is the way the Steelers operate, always have, always will.

C-town

steelcitysfinestXL
07-31-2012, 08:48 AM
Steelcitysfinest,

I agree. They do want Wallace. So it's Wallace's move now. We'll see if he continues to be a dumb ***.

The ball is squarely in Mike's court. They have publicly said they do not want to trade him and in one of these articles Colbert said to sign the tender, get to camp, and we'll see how things go. That is as close to saying sign the tender and we will get you a long term deal here.

Mike has to wise up. This is the way the Steelers operate, always have, always will.

C-town

I understand where you guys are coming from, and from a team standpoint it would be best to get Wallace into cam ASAP. But if IM Mike Wallace, im going to limit the chances i have of getting injured until it starts effecting my $2.7 mil tender. So i wouldnt expect to see Mike for another 3 weeks, i hope im wrong but thats my bet.

Real Deal Steel
07-31-2012, 10:23 AM

Wrong.

And I'll give you a great example. Everyone said the same about Welker. " When Moss leaves, Welker won't be as effective." Blah, blah, blah.

Because of the QB, Welker is still effective and had his finest season last year. Brown will be JUST AS EFFECTIVE as he was last year if Wallace is never on this team again. Wallace does not make Brown effective. Brown is effective because he is the more complete WR. Better route runner, better catcher in traffic. And what they paid him is indicative to what I"m saying.

Real Deal Steel
07-31-2012, 10:28 AM
We all voice our opinions on this site. But when the front office supports an opinion with hard earned money, that trumps the other opinions. Your opinion has no support from the front office. My opinion does by what they paid him. And you can't dismiss it just because it doesn't support your opinion. That's being delusional instead of facing the fact that your wrong.

Go listen to what Colbert said after Brown's signing. And he affirms my opinion into fact. While disproving your opinion.

Real Deal Steel
07-31-2012, 10:32 AM
It only means they believe AB is valuable, which he is.

I guess it only means that Vincent Jackson is just "valuable" to the Buccaneers too. Hahahaha.

We will have two # 1 wide receivers in Pittsburgh if Wallace does sign. But again, Wallace has not proven that he is the best Wide Receiver on this team. Brown is the more complete Wide Receiver. Just because a guy runs faster doesn't make him the better Wide Receiver. Thank God Jerry Rice didn't believe that either. LOL.

steelcitysfinestXL
07-31-2012, 11:43 AM
But again, Wallace has not proven that he is the best Wide Receiver on this team. Brown is the more complete Wide Receiver.

Just when i think im starting to understand you, you go and say a thing like that!!! LOL

Big T
07-31-2012, 11:48 AM
Wrong.

And I'll give you a great example. Everyone said the same about Welker. " When Moss leaves, Welker won't be as effective." Blah, blah, blah.

Because of the QB, Welker is still effective and had his finest season last year. Brown will be JUST AS EFFECTIVE as he was last year if Wallace is never on this team again. Wallace does not make Brown effective. Brown is effective because he is the more complete WR. Better route runner, better catcher in traffic. And what they paid him is indicative to what I"m saying.

Wrong. Welker isn't even the number 1 receiver on the Pats. If opposing defenses didn't have to worry about Gronk, they could double Welker and his production would fall off significantly. Welker is a very good slot guy but, like Brown, needs a #1 across from him to truly be as effective as he has been.

And I wouldn't be so sure about AB running better routes. His routes are pretty horrid at times. Emmanuel Sanders on the other hand is a different story.

steelcitysfinestXL
07-31-2012, 11:51 AM
Wrong. Welker isn't even the number 1 receiver on the Pats. If opposing defenses didn't have to worry about Gronk, they could double Welker and his production would fall off significantly. Welker is a very good slot guy but, like Brown, needs a #1 across from him to truly be as effective as he has been.

And I wouldn't be so sure about AB running better routes. His routes are pretty horrid at times. Emmanuel Sanders on the other hand is a different story.

I agree 100% with this post!

LatrobePA
07-31-2012, 11:59 AM
Do we don't need a true #1 WR? Or just some selfless #2's??

K Train
07-31-2012, 12:11 PM
welker was bad gronks rookie year, the year moss left. then when gronk puts up record numbers welker has a career year, you CANT think that is just a coincidence.

welker got franchised, both sides knew a deal wasnt going to get done

as far as what we need....ward has always been a more traditional #2, el and wilson were #3s, i mean you can win without a good #1, but wouldnt be nice to have one for a while for once rather than letting them go all the time?

TarlsQtr
07-31-2012, 01:38 PM
We all voice our opinions on this site. But when the front office supports an opinion with hard earned money, that trumps the other opinions. Your opinion has no support from the front office. My opinion does by what they paid him. And you can't dismiss it just because it doesn't support your opinion. That's being delusional instead of facing the fact that your wrong.

Go listen to what Colbert said after Brown's signing. And he affirms my opinion into fact. While disproving your opinion.

Fantastic. Then when/if the Steelers sign Wallace for MORE money than AB, you will publicly admit here that you are FOS? After all, as you stated: "when the front office supports an opinion with hard earned money, that trumps the other opinions."

And let us take your "logic" one step further. If AB is the "more complete receiver", then Wallace should be signed for less money. Is there ANY TEAM in the NFL that would not take Wallace for more than AB was paid if Mike was an unrestricted FA (and they did not have to give up picks)?

The signing of AB said NOTHING about their opinion of Wallace's talents. This is supported by the fact that the FO tried to get a contract done with Mike first. They only went to AB AFTER negotiations with Wallace went nowhere.

Real Deal Steel
07-31-2012, 01:44 PM
welker was bad gronks rookie year, the year moss left. then when gronk puts up record numbers welker has a career year, you CANT think that is just a coincidence.

welker got franchised, both sides knew a deal wasnt going to get done

as far as what we need....ward has always been a more traditional #2, el and wilson were #3s, i mean you can win without a good #1, but wouldnt be nice to have one for a while for once rather than letting them go all the time?

Welker was bad in 2010???????????????

86 receptions, 848 yards and 7 TD's. That's bad?????????

Again...please stop making up stuff to support your arguments. Welker is legit as long as Brady is throwing to him in that system. Period. Moss...no Moss..Gronk....No Gronk.

Real Deal Steel
07-31-2012, 01:46 PM
Fantastic. Then when/if the Steelers sign Wallace for MORE money than AB, you will publicly admit here that you are FOS? After all, as you stated: "when the front office supports an opinion with hard earned money, that trumps the other opinions."

And let us take your "logic" one step further. If AB is the "more complete receiver", then Wallace should be signed for less money. Is there ANY TEAM in the NFL that would not take Wallace for more than AB was paid if Mike was an unrestricted FA (and they did not have to give up picks)?

The signing of AB said NOTHING about their opinion of Wallace's talents. This is supported by the fact that the FO tried to get a contract done with Mike first. They only went to AB AFTER negotiations with Wallace went nowhere.

The signing of AB said everything they think about AB being capable of being a # 1 WR. That's what that signing said. You can choose to ignore it all you wish. But the money says other wise.

And the book on who's better between Wallace and AB long term hasn't been determined. As usual, you read a quarter of the book and think you know the whole story. All we know is that Wallace is faster and he's been healthier then AB. But we dont' know for gospel sure who is the # 1 Wide Receiver on this team.

Again.......that's why we've had the thread running for months of who is the better WR between the two. You make opinions based on limited info and we don't know. Wallace has been the healthier of the two so of course he's had an opportunity to play more. But when Brown stayed healthy, he was the man the second half of the season when all health issues between the two were even. And it was Brown NOT WALLACE who was voted MVP.

TarlsQtr
07-31-2012, 01:51 PM
The signing of AB said everything they think about AB being capable of being a # 1 WR. That's what that signing said. You can choose to ignore it all you wish. But the money says other wise.

As you said, AB is the "more complete receiver." When Wallace is signed for more money, by the standard you created it will mean you are FOS. Number 2 receivers do not get more money than the number 1. If Wallace gets more, he is number 1, AB is number 2, and you are FOS.

LatrobePA
07-31-2012, 01:52 PM
I still say if wallace doesn't show soon the team will start bringing guys in..

Real Deal Steel
07-31-2012, 01:53 PM
As you said, AB is the "more complete receiver." When Wallace is signed for more money, by the standard you created it will mean you are FOS. Number 2 receivers do not get more money than the number 1. If Wallace gets more, he is number 1, AB is number 2, and you are FOS.

Again...stop put words in my post that are not there. I said, " The money they paid AB is a sign that they think he can be a # 1 WR". What about that don't you understand???

Real Deal Steel
07-31-2012, 01:54 PM
I still say if wallace doesn't show soon the team will start bringing guys in..

Well, Wallace is still showing he's a dumb ***.

TarlsQtr
07-31-2012, 01:55 PM

Again...please stop making up stuff to support your arguments. Welker is legit as long as Brady is throwing to him in that system. Period. Moss...no Moss..Gronk....No Gronk.

It is not "bad" but is surely is not good enough to get him a $9.5 million franchise tender that he signed nor would it be enough to get him the long-term extension he will eventually sign.

Real Deal Steel
07-31-2012, 01:56 PM
" IF" Wallace is signed, his contract will be close to AB's contract.

Real Deal Steel
07-31-2012, 01:57 PM
Welker may not get the extension. Because Lloyd is a more talented receiver then Welker. If Lloyd wasn't on this team, Welker would have gotten his money by now.

Real Deal Steel
07-31-2012, 01:59 PM
Welker is legit with, without Gronk. AB will be legit with, without Wallace. And the front office feels the same..thus the contract he received.

TarlsQtr
07-31-2012, 02:07 PM
Again...stop put words in my post that are not there. I said, " The money they paid AB is a sign that they think he can be a # 1 WR". What about that don't you understand???

I understand it all, that you are weaseling away from your statements. I could care less if you think Brown "can be a #1" or if the FO thinks so. You stated that AB is the "more complete receiver." If so, he should get paid more than Wallace. When Wallace eventually gets more, it shows you are FOS because as you stated: "when the front office supports an opinion with hard earned money, that trumps the other opinions."

TarlsQtr
07-31-2012, 02:08 PM
" IF" Wallace is signed, his contract will be close to AB's contract.

Close? Shouldn't the "more complete receiver" get more? Wallace will sign a long-term contract at some point with some team. When he does, it will be for more than Brown.

TarlsQtr
07-31-2012, 02:15 PM
Welker is legit with, without Gronk. AB will be legit with, without Wallace. And the front office feels the same..thus the contract he received.

As to the first part, Welker was not $9.5 million "legit" without a Moss or Gronk playing with him. 800 yards in TODAY'S NFL is not special.

You have no idea that the FO "feels the same." They may feel that A) they will eventually sign Wallace making AB worth the money, or B) if they lose Wallace, paying him that kind of money is a lot better option than possibly losing both.

In the end, both are good and I am sure the FO likes both. That said, stating that the signing of Brown says anything about what they think of Wallace, or that Brown is as good (or better) than Wallace is absurd. It only means they felt AB was worth $45 million.

steelcitysfinestXL
07-31-2012, 02:29 PM
As to the first part, Welker was not $9.5 million "legit" without a Moss or Gronk playing with him. 800 yards in TODAY'S NFL is not special.

You have no idea that the FO "feels the same." They may feel that A) they will eventually sign Wallace making AB worth the money, or B) if they lose Wallace, paying him that kind of money is a lot better option than possibly losing both.

In the end, both are good and I am sure the FO likes both. That said, stating that the signing of Brown says anything about what they think of Wallace, or that Brown is as good (or better) than Wallace is absurd. It only means they felt AB was worth $45 million.

I couldnt agree more! Just by looking at the nunmbers AB's cap hit this season is around $2.5mil. The Steelers have left plenty of room to get a decent sized deal done. IF Mike signs his tender and they negotiate a new deal, the Steelers take that $2.7 mil back and they have over $6.2 mil in cap space! So assuming they dont spend every remainig penny on Wallaces deal, they could still stand to pay him $5 mil. against the cap this season. Do the math RealDeal, thats double what AB's cap hit is!

Big T
07-31-2012, 02:40 PM

Bad? I wouldn't say bad. They're "ok" numbers. But you are completely missing the point here. Those are not #1 receiver numbers and his drop off in production from the three year stretch of 07, 08, 09 to his numbers in 2010 is a direct correlation of him not having a #1 across from him, with him being forced into the "#1" role. There is no denying the FACT that when Welker was forced to be a teams #1 option, his production dropped off dramatically.

07-08 (as the #2 option with Randy Moss across from him): 112 catches, 1175 yards, 8 TDs...
08-09 (as the #2 option with Randy Moss across from him): 111 catches, 1165 yards, 3 TDs...
09-10 (as the #2 option with Randy Moss across from him): 123 catches, 1348 yards, 4 TDs...
10-11 (as the #1 option): 86 catches, 848 yards, 7 TDs...
11-12 (as the #2 option w/ 2nd year Gronk across from him): 122 catches, 1569 yards, 9 TDs...

Can you spot the outlier? You can't honestly believe that that's a coincidence...

Real Deal Steel
07-31-2012, 05:30 PM
Bad? I wouldn't say bad. They're "ok" numbers. But you are completely missing the point here. Those are not #1 receiver numbers and his drop off in production from the three year stretch of 07, 08, 09 to his numbers in 2010 is a direct correlation of him not having a #1 across from him, with him being forced into the "#1" role. There is no denying the FACT that when Welker was forced to be a teams #1 option, his production dropped off dramatically.

07-08 (as the #2 option with Randy Moss across from him): 112 catches, 1175 yards, 8 TDs...
08-09 (as the #2 option with Randy Moss across from him): 111 catches, 1165 yards, 3 TDs...
09-10 (as the #2 option with Randy Moss across from him): 123 catches, 1348 yards, 4 TDs...
10-11 (as the #1 option): 86 catches, 848 yards, 7 TDs...
11-12 (as the #2 option w/ 2nd year Gronk across from him): 122 catches, 1569 yards, 9 TDs...

Can you spot the outlier? You can't honestly believe that that's a coincidence...

So your saying a more talented, faster WR in Brown would have the same results if Wallace were not there? I totally disagree.

But as far as Welker is concerned, you could be looking at it wrong. Maybe Welker needed the # 2 WR in Gronk to get back to his numbers. Do more touchdowns make you the supposed, " #1" Wide Receiver? Because what those numbers tell me is that Welker needed a legit # 2 Wr option next to him to go back and put up his # 1 WR numbers.

Yes Randy Moss and Gronk got the TD's so there is no argument there but based on those numbers, who's really the # 1 WR?? Welker or Gronk?? Gronk gets the TD glory because he's a red zone beast. But the chain mover was Welker.

And Welker can't get an extension now because they've got an even more talented WR in Lloyd.

And here's what's so sad for Welker, all reports out of Patriots camp now are saying Lloyd looks amazing with Brady throwing him the ball. Reports are saying they are already simpatico with one another.

Black@Gold Forever32
07-31-2012, 05:37 PM
Brandon Lloyd is a bum.....He is 31 and only has one 1,000 yard season and 1 season of double digit TD's.....Gronk was a beast period last year.....90 catches for 1327 yards and of course his 17 receiving TD's/18total.....I think its safe to say Gronk moved the chains at times last year.....

Real Deal Steel
07-31-2012, 05:45 PM
Welkers been moving chains for years. I'm not saying Gronk is a slouch by any means. He was my fantasy TE last year. And on my bench was Jimmy Graham. :)

What I'm saying is that a # 1 WR needs a # 2 WR to help him get his numbers too. Why do you think Fitzgerald was crying for the Cardinals to draft Floyd?? Even though Fitzgerald is a clear # 1 wide Receiver, he needs a legit # 2 wide receiver to take those double teams off of him and make his numbers better.

Welker ( a # 1 WR) needed Gronk to take those double teams off of him so he could get his numbers back to what we saw last year.

But AB is more physically talented then Welker. Welker the better route runner..atleast right now. :)

Real Deal Steel
07-31-2012, 05:47 PM
Brandon Lloyd isn't a bum by any strecth of the imagination. When you play with crappy QB's and offensive coordinators for most of your career, coupled with injuries, stuff happens.

Why do you think Welker can't get his extension?? Because of Lloyd.

NorCalSteel
07-31-2012, 05:50 PM
BTW for who ever is counting AB was the #1 Receiver the last 10 weeks of the season. So no need to guess if he can be he already was...the debate is over on that one..

Big T
07-31-2012, 06:07 PM
BTW for who ever is counting AB was the #1 Receiver the last 10 weeks of the season. So no need to guess if he can be he already was...the debate is over on that one..

These are the kind of posts I'm talking about. Jesus, it's like every word others have said on the subject are falling on deaf ears. I feel like I just keep ramming my head into a f*cking wall. I'm seriously so sick of saying the same **** over and over, I think I'm gonna bow out of this Wallace talk for a while.

He needs to sign his tender and get his *** in camp. I can't take this **** anymore lol.

Real Deal Steel
07-31-2012, 06:45 PM
Big T

I'd love to send you over to Wallace's house to tell his *** to get into camp. I wonder how many weeks can you hold out like that before you start to lose credibility with your teammates? Because they know he has nowhere to go also.

Big T
07-31-2012, 07:00 PM
Big T

I'd love to send you over to Wallace's house to tell his *** to get into camp. I wonder how many weeks can you hold out like that before you start to lose credibility with your teammates? Because they know he has nowhere to go also.

Agreed. I had no problem with his holdout until camp started and they said negotiations were off. Its time for him to put his pride aside and get to camp. And my above post wasn't really aimed at you at all. We tend disagree more than we agree but at least you back up the things you are saying. My problem is when people just make ridiculous statements without listening to any reason or backing up with anything.

NorCalSteel
07-31-2012, 07:23 PM
These are the kind of posts I'm talking about. Jesus, it's like every word others have said on the subject are falling on deaf ears. I feel like I just keep ramming my head into a f*cking wall. I'm seriously so sick of saying the same **** over and over, I think I'm gonna bow out of this Wallace talk for a while.

He needs to sign his tender and get his *** in camp. I can't take this **** anymore lol.

You know maybe ramming your head into a wall will help you see other opinions than your own? Don't discount it so quickly..Nobody here has watched more Steeler coverage interviews and games then me so maybe listen and don't be such a whiner? Just saying.. Wallace is a great receiver we need him in camp.. but what happened last year is not a fluke if you choose to ignore it that is your own issue..

steelcitysfinestXL
07-31-2012, 07:29 PM
You know maybe ramming your head into a wall will help you see other opinions than your own? Don't discount it so quickly..Nobody here has watched more Steeler coverage interviews and games then me so maybe listen and don't be such a whiner? Just saying.. Wallace is a great receiver we need him in camp.. but what happened last year is not a fluke if you choose to ignore it that is your own issue..

That's kind of a bold statement isn't it? I didn't know we were in the business of questioning levels of fandom here?

NorCalSteel
07-31-2012, 07:45 PM
I didn't start with the ****** comment so you might want to ask BigT not me.

Big T
07-31-2012, 07:45 PM

I have no problems with anyone else having an opinion, as I just stated. However, I hate ridiculous statements that end with "end of discussion" or "debate over"... Just makes you sound childish. And yes, arguing levels of fandom is ridiculous as well.

steelcitysfinestXL
07-31-2012, 07:59 PM
I didn't start with the ****** comment so you might want to ask BigT not me.

My question was directed at you: are we in the business of questioning fandom? Ive rarely agreed with RealDeal but never once have I insinuated to him or any one else on this forum that I know more than them.

Regardless, I have no problem with anyone here's opinion. I want to see Mike Wallace and Antonio Brown on this team for the foreseeable future because together they will be dynamic! I'd just LOVE to see AB put up BIG numbers this year do next year we can argue about who's the TRUE no. 1... That'd be a great problem to have lol!

NorCalSteel
07-31-2012, 08:07 PM
I didn't try to make it personal but a redirect was aimed at me so take it for what it is worth..Big T made it personal and I just dont take **** from anyone so that's how it goes......I want to see them together also..all 3 of the big money crew... 99% of all statements on here are opinion. sorry if you don't like how I am just please don't read my posts in the future if it offends you..I have 40 years of being a Steeler's fanatic so I am set in my ways...this is a public forum there is No business agenda and I don't need another mother so save it..thanks...

LatrobePA
07-31-2012, 08:13 PM
FN Mike Wallace has torn this SA family apart, damn you Mike damn you!!! lol

ChucktownSteeler
07-31-2012, 08:17 PM
FN Mike Wallace has torn this SA family apart, damn you Mike damn you!!! lol

Maybe he is the anti-Christ.

BWHahahahahaha!

NorCalSteel
07-31-2012, 08:17 PM
all it takes is the season to start and we are one big happy family..Black and Gold forever..no football to watch we are like a pack of starving wolves..lol

LatrobePA
07-31-2012, 08:23 PM
Or a bunch of sissy's!! Hahahahahahaha lol

86WARD
07-31-2012, 08:46 PM
Like the tape on the helmet...took a page out of Ward's book...

http://i46.tinypic.com/2h2gh6p.png

LatrobePA
07-31-2012, 08:49 PM
I love AB!

Danger DANJ
07-31-2012, 08:59 PM
Do you know how you can tell who the #1 WR on a team is? It's the guy getting double covered on a consistent basis.

I agree Brown is a more complete WR than Wallace, but whoever said Brown is a better route runner than Wallace is flat wrong. Wallace has improved greatly at running routes over the last 3 years. Brown is actually not that good at his routes although I'm sure he will improve just as Wallace has. Brown made a lot of plays last year while freestyling and getting open when Ben holds onto the ball or scrambles. I'll never forget a TD Brown had and he was all excited but Ward had to tell him it was great and all but he ran the wrong route. lol.

The signing of Brown shows the Steelers value him very highly, but it doesn't show they believe he is a #1 WR.

Also, why do people assume Wallace's drop in production in the second half of last season means Brown is better or is the #1 WR? Wallace drew so much attention from defenses it left Brown open and you take what the defense gives you. Plain and simple. Plus, Ben's deep ball wasn't very good at all in the second half of last season, especially when he got hurt.

Unless Emanuel Sanders can stay healthy and be the kind of WR I believe he can, I want both Wallace and Brown together for the long term.

At this point Wallace needs to get to camp and the Steelers need to give him the VJax money that he wants. Frankly, the Steelers should have given Wallace VJax money before training camp started and this wouldn't be an issue right now. Based on the Brown contract, they should have no problem giving Wallace 5 years $55 Million with $25 Million guaranteed.

Big T
07-31-2012, 09:00 PM
I didn't try to make it personal but a redirect was aimed at me so take it for what it is worth..Big T made it personal and I just dont take **** from anyone so that's how it goes......I want to see them together also..all 3 of the big money crew... 99% of all statements on here are opinion. sorry if you don't like how I am just please don't read my posts in the future if it offends you..I have 40 years of being a Steeler's fanatic so I am set in my ways...this is a public forum there is No business agenda and I don't need another mother so save it..thanks...

My intention was not to make it personal. I realize it came off that way. I'm just getting sick of all the Mike Wallace/AB bullshit and you just happen to be the one I took it out on. Again, insulting you or your intelligence wasn't my intention at all. Just a little rant lol...

cbrunn
07-31-2012, 11:01 PM
this subject is as simple as this ...

They compliment each others games so perfectly

it would be a travesty to not resign Wallace ... as with Wallace, Brown, Sanders , Cotchery we have one of if not the best receiving core in the business...and their games complement each other so well

as far as Brown contract messing up Wallace contract i don't think that's the case at all ... The problem with getting Wallace is the Steelers have no cap room...Brown 1st yr is only 500k (doesn't hurt the cap much at all this year)... Wallace wasn't going to sign a contract for a 1st yr 500k salary ... the Steelers need to release some older players that just sit the bench to clear cap room for a 5mill or so first year salary for Wallace, and let it increase to like 10 and 12 in the last 2 years or whatever

NorCalSteel
08-01-2012, 06:36 AM
My intention was not to make it personal. I realize it came off that way. I'm just getting sick of all the Mike Wallace/AB bullshit and you just happen to be the one I took it out on. Again, insulting you or your intelligence wasn't my intention at all. Just a little rant lol...

Don't even sweat it BigT. Steeler Football is a passion and we all have it..I forget these little exchanges almost as soon as they happen

ChucktownSteeler
08-01-2012, 06:59 AM
Like the tape on the helmet...took a page out of Ward's book...

http://i46.tinypic.com/2h2gh6p.png

One of my current favorite Steelers!

cmerrifield
08-01-2012, 07:02 AM

it would be a travesty to not resign Wallace ... as with Wallace, Brown, Sanders , Cotchery we have one of if not the best receiving core in the business...and their games complement each other so well

as far as Brown contract messing up Wallace contract i don't think that's the case at all ... The problem with getting Wallace is the Steelers have no cap room...Brown 1st yr is only 500k (doesn't hurt the cap much at all this year)... Wallace wasn't going to sign a contract for a 1st yr 500k salary ... the Steelers need to release some older players that just sit the bench to clear cap room for a 5mill or so first year salary for Wallace, and let it increase to like 10 and 12 in the last 2 years or whatever

Even with Brown's contract, the Steelers are around 5 million under that cap and Wallace is already taking up 2.7 million. He could sign a 5 year contract with 15 million signing bonus and still make 3 or 4 million this year. They are probably arguing over guaranteed money because the first year has to be so low. Wallace probably wants a guaranteed salary next year or a guaranteed roster bonus.

steelcitysfinestXL
08-01-2012, 07:31 AM
Thats pretty much the response I expected... thanks NorCal

Even with Brown's contract, the Steelers are around 5 million under that cap and Wallace is already taking up 2.7 million. He could sign a 5 year contract with 15 million signing bonus and still make 3 or 4 million this year. They are probably arguing over guaranteed money because the first year has to be so low. Wallace probably wants a guaranteed salary next year or a guaranteed roster bonus.
:plus1: The Steelers are at a lil over $2 mil, throw in $1.5mil for some veteran salary claus that Colbert said they will use and Wallaces $2.7mil and they have about $6.25 mil to use to sign Wallace when he shows up. The $15mil. has been the number everyone has used, and i agree thats prob what the hold up was!

K Train
08-01-2012, 07:49 AM

it really is that simple.

also i dont know how brown got this label as a more complete WR? because he plays underneath and can return kicks? thats pretty ridiculous. people are as down on wallace for having a down second half of the year as they are up on brown for scoring his 2 career TDs

BlitzburghRockCity
08-01-2012, 08:25 AM
Wallace this Wallace that, God knows we're all tired of talking about him but when the media continues to bring it up everyday you almost can't help but continue to banter about it.

Right now neither AB nor Wallace is a complete WR. Potentially they both could be lethal when it all comes together and both are on the right track to do so.

86WARD
08-01-2012, 02:59 PM

I think they have room to sign Wallace. He's already on the cap at $2.7M or whatever it is. They have a good amount of cap room available to give him much more than a $500,000 year one salary. I think they can get it done if they really want to.

Love the comment about them complimenting each other...people can argue that Brown is a better receiver, but I think when it comes down to it, they are both better with each other...

NorCalSteel
08-01-2012, 04:59 PM
Thats pretty much the response I expected... thanks NorCal

:plus1: The Steelers are at a lil over $2 mil, throw in $1.5mil for some veteran salary claus that Colbert said they will use and Wallaces $2.7mil and they have about $6.25 mil to use to sign Wallace when he shows up. The $15mil. has been the number everyone has used, and i agree thats prob what the hold up was!
Glad I didn't disappoint you ..lol you now know where I am coming from..

cbrunn
08-01-2012, 09:10 PM
i didn't know they had cap room thanks for clearing that up guys ...

Real Deal Steel
08-02-2012, 11:20 AM
Well, It's 8/2/2012 and still no signing of Wallace huh? Just like a little baby. His itty bitty feelings are hurt.

According to this story from Rotoworld.com, History shows that holdouts don't do well the year they hold out. See the link:

http://www.rotoworld.com/articles/nfl/41022/125/holdout-history

So if history is any indication, the notion that Mike Wallace will ball out once he signs isn't going to happen.

Black@Gold Forever32
08-02-2012, 11:35 AM
Well, It's 8/2/2012 and still no signing of Wallace huh? Just like a little baby. His itty bitty feelings are hurt.

According to this story from Rotoworld.com, History shows that holdouts don't do well the year they hold out. See the link:

http://www.rotoworld.com/articles/nfl/41022/125/holdout-history

So if history is any indication, the notion that Mike Wallace will ball out once he signs isn't going to happen.

The good thing is the Steelers don't need Wallace to ball out......The Steelers just need all their weapons in place to really make the passing game fearsome........