PDA

View Full Version : Concussion lawsuit calls out James Harrison... Here we go again.

BlitzburghRockCity
07-26-2012, 12:25 AM
For the love of God can people not ever give this topic a rest? Now the most recent concussion lawsuit against the NFL asks why Harrison is allowed to keep playing. Nothing like continuing to beat a dead horse... But that's life in today's NFL.

A concussion-related lawsuit filed against the NFL by 73 former players, including former Raiders star Ken “The Snake” Stabler, questions why Steelers linebacker James Harrison is allowed to keep playing despite repeat offenses that endanger fellow players.

The lawsuit, filed Monday in Philadelphia, is one in a series of such legal actions nationally in which more than 2,700 former players are seeking relief from what they contend is the league’s slowness in dealing with the dangers of concussions and brain trauma.

Mentioned prominently are a number of in-game incidents from 2009 on, after a Boston University study revealed that multiple former NFL players died prematurely after developing boxer-like brain damage.

The players argue in the suit that “recidivist violators” such as Harrison, a former NFL Defensive Player of the Year and one of the league’s most punishing hitters, shouldn’t be allowed to keep playing. In legal terms, a recidivist is a repeat offender. The court filing mentions five illegal hits by Harrison on quarterbacks over three seasons.

Hits by Harrison resulted in multiple players sustaining concussions, including Browns quarterback Colt McCoy last season and Browns receiver Mohamed Massaquoi in 2010. Harrison drew a one-game suspension for the helmet-to-helmet McCoy hit and a $75,000 fine and no suspension for the Massaquoi hit.

Asked about the unusual request by former players to effectively ban a current player, Steelers coach Mike Tomlin told the Tribune-Review: “I’ll leave that (the lawsuit) up to the lawyers. That’s for the lawyers. We’re here for football.”

Harrison reported to training camp Wednesday but did not talk to reporters.

“Those guys (former players) aren’t around and they don’t know the type of player that he is,” said quarterback Charlie Batch, the vice president of the NFL Players Association. “We know he’s not that way. The fight is not against somebody like a current player; the fight ultimately comes down to the NFL. You’re trying to make the game safer, and they’re pushing for 18 games. If concussions are a point of emphasis, these questions don’t need to be answered by the players. This needs to be answered by Roger (Goodell, the NFL commissioner) and the people in charge of the NFL. … The fight is not players against players.”

The lawsuit, first reported by ProFootballTalk.com, requests — among other things — a court-ordered monitoring of injuries resulting from hits to the head and punitive damages.

http://triblive.com/sports/steelers/2272925-85/players-nfl-former-harrison-lawsuit-player-concussions-fight-game-hits

- From BRC's Droid Bionic of Coolness

Black@Gold Forever32
07-26-2012, 12:42 AM
Oh my God can't they just leave Harrison alone......James Harrison is the concussion boogeyman....lol What a joke.......

Raleigh Steel
07-26-2012, 04:57 AM
it's funny that a former Raider is complaining about a player today who may injure someone. ask his former teammates what they used to do. ask lynn swann what they used to do to him. they made what harrison does look like he tackles people with a box of kittens.

ChucktownSteeler
07-26-2012, 06:58 AM
Funny these former Raiders don't mention "Jack Tatum". Might want to ask Lynn Swann about him.

As long as its the Raiders, its laughable.

C-town

LatrobePA
07-26-2012, 07:48 AM
Non issue IMO!

gtadroptop
07-26-2012, 07:52 AM
Don't forget about George Atkinson., another former Raider choir boy.

Lambert was ahead of his time with his 'skirts' comment.

The Lakelander
07-26-2012, 08:33 AM
I happen to contend ...

NFL football is a great evil ...

It takes grown men away from church on Sunday ...

It makes grown men spend countless dollars on game tickets, beer, football merchandise, etc. ... money that should be put towards more useful matters, like "family", college, charity, healthcare, etc. ...

It makes married men to oogle over sex-dripped cheerleaders shaking their asses on the sidelines ...

Yet we embrace this culture of corruption as a right of passage for our sons ...

LMAO! ...

... and now there are lawsuits from within it's own ranks to change it? ...

James Harrison has made some viscious hits with his helmet over recent years; hits that have concussed several players ...

But his hits have been well within the context of the league's rules ... never egregious nor malicious in the intent ... just fundamental football ...

:evilshake:

Harrison won't last a 16 game season in 2012 ... He'll be suspended once again ... rest assured ...

K Train
07-26-2012, 09:13 AM
doesnt matter this is a reach, harrison is just the poster child

LarryNJ
07-26-2012, 09:22 AM
It says it was filed in Philadelphia. I always thought these were being filed in California because of their laws.

I like how Charlie gets in the 18 game plug :lol: He should read his coaches comment and use that in the future.

LatrobePA
07-26-2012, 09:22 AM
I'm pretty sure football is a sport based on hitting right? Point is if you don't want concussed stay the F off the turf!

BlitzburghRockCity
07-26-2012, 09:58 AM
I'm glad I'm not the only one that found it ironic that a former raider is on the lawsuit complaining about safety in the NFL. If this were the 70's and Harrison was on their team he would be a legend.

steelersbabex25
07-26-2012, 10:02 AM
Even in the offseason..

scudmissile29
07-26-2012, 10:05 AM
stupid raiders.

BlitzburghRockCity
07-26-2012, 09:58 PM
I loved Harrison's comment today... Who is Stabler? LOL... I think it Chuck Finder that said, I really think he was serious! :lol: classic comments from the man who doesn't give a rats *** what people think of his play.

scudmissile29
07-27-2012, 04:50 AM
Benz: James, are you aware of the story about the lawsuit mentioning your name ... and if so, what's your reaction to it?
Harrison: I'm not aware of it.
Benz: Ken Stabler and some of the other former pro football players in a concussion suit referenced you as a guy that was a repeat offender and maybe should be out of the game. When you hear former players say that about you --
Harrison: Who is -- Ken who?
Benz: Ken Stabler.
Harrison: Who is that?
Benz: Former Raiders quarterback.
Harrison: Never heard of him. His opinion doesn't matter to me.

LarryNJ
07-27-2012, 06:48 AM
I loved Harrison's comment today... Who is Stabler? LOL... I think it Chuck Finder that said, I really think he was serious! :lol:

It's very possible he was serious. He certainly never saw him play.

ChucktownSteeler
07-27-2012, 06:51 AM
Classic!

Black@Gold Forever32
07-27-2012, 10:55 AM
Stabler should worry about paying his taxes and not driving drunk.........I would love to see Harrison give Stabler one more concussion....lol

Real Deal Steel
07-27-2012, 11:10 AM
Harrison should have on his locker, " I'm the concussion maker". HAHAHAHAHAAHHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Raleigh Steel
07-27-2012, 02:20 PM
http://espn.go.com/blog/afcnorth/post/_/id/51374/peyton-mannings-plea-to-james-harrison

Peyton Manning remains one of the smartest quarterbacks in the NFL. If you don't believe me, check out the video when he's asked by ESPN's Tom Jackson about his confidence level in taking a hit to his surgically repaired neck.

"I have no concern over that," Manning said. "I'm not begging James Harrison to blindside me by any means but I feel I'm going to be able to handle that."

Manning and the Broncos face Harrison and the Steelers in a season-opening prime-time game Sept. 9. If Harrison didn't get Manning's gist, the $96 million quarterback mentioned Harrison a second time in the interview.

"So James, I love you and don't take this as a challenge now," Manning said, presumably only half-joking. "Go easy on me if you can."

I don't blame Manning. Harrison has just as many knockouts as Floyd Mayweather Jr. (Google Colt McCoy-James Harrison hit from last season). Perhaps Manning should tweet Harrison just to make sure he got the message.

Nolrog
07-28-2012, 08:45 AM
Was Ray Lewis mantioned? I remember a few nasty hits from him, including one where he almost decapitated Heath Miller.

Stuckineaglescountry
07-28-2012, 09:00 AM
Harrison plays the game as it should be played...Full Tilt! Guys like Butkus,Lambert,Ham,Mike Curtis and Jack Tatum played with the same fire! Harrison is a ThrowBack to the old school style of Play and I love it!

ChucktownSteeler
07-28-2012, 10:16 AM
Was Ray Lewis mantioned? I remember a few nasty hits from him, including one where he almost decapitated Heath Miller.

Was it Ray Lewis?

Root4Stlrs
07-28-2012, 10:47 AM
Was it Ray Lewis? I think I know the hit he is referring to, but I don't think it was Lewis. I am just worried that James will get suspended for entire season if he does anything that hurts Peyton Manning - even if it's legal.

Root4Stlrs
07-28-2012, 10:48 AM
Was it Ray Lewis? not only was that player not fined (I don't think) - he wasn't even penalized.

Root4Stlrs
07-28-2012, 10:56 AM
not only was that player not fined (I don't think) - he wasn't even penalized.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nVrNoK5Ab_E
Here's the link. It was Jameel McClain and not Ray Lewis. Nobody is going to get the mentions that Harrison does especially no name players from the Ravens. Harrison has become their major target. That is obvious. It doesn't matter what Ray Lewis does on the field anyway - he has practically been canonized by the NFL. BTW that hit was even worse than I remembered. I'm sorry now I looked at it. Heath could have been very badly injured - just lucky on that one.

ChucktownSteeler
07-28-2012, 11:22 AM
Thanks for clearing that up, I didn't think it was Ray Lewis. I remember the play as well and note at least 2 officials have a clear view of the play and no flags thrown. Tell me again there is not bias against the Steelers in the NFL.

Even Collinsworth comments on this play, note he said the second questionable non-call.

All the time, Ray "the killer" Lewis is canonized by the NFL. Remember the video Harbaugh made about how his team knew how to tackle and played within the rules? If Harrison had done this he would still be suspended.

C-town

Nolrog
07-28-2012, 12:30 PM
That was the hit. I thought it was Lewis. He's been known to throw an illegal hit himself.

Lunchbucket
07-28-2012, 02:18 PM
Some of the "illegal hits" James was fined for were Questionable........At best.. Refs called some on him because of his reputation.....and his defiance of King Roger.

Root4Stlrs
07-30-2012, 01:11 PM
Thanks for clearing that up, I didn't think it was Ray Lewis. I remember the play as well and note at least 2 officials have a clear view of the play and no flags thrown. Tell me again there is not bias against the Steelers in the NFL.

Even Collinsworth comments on this play, note he said the second questionable non-call.

All the time, Ray "the killer" Lewis is canonized by the NFL. Remember the video Harbaugh made about how his team knew how to tackle and played within the rules? If Harrison had done this he would still be suspended.

C-town That video was sickening. I really don't like either of the Harbaugh brothers. One of my favorite plays was Harbaugh's hail mary into the end zone.

Big T
07-30-2012, 01:26 PM
That was the hit. I thought it was Lewis. He's been known to throw an illegal hit himself.

Ray Lewis had a hit on Hines last season that, if I remember correctly, knocked him out of the game that wasn't called. I remember it vividly because James Harrison was called for a very borderline hit earlier and this one was an obvious helmet-to-helmet and wasnt called.

Found the hit:

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=HmyhcozGRr4