PDA

View Full Version : So many possibilities at Guard for the Steelers this year

BlitzburghRockCity
07-23-2012, 11:53 AM
I just finished up an article this morning about the guard situation for the Steelers heading into camp. If you're interested you can check out the full writeup here (http://www.steeleraddicts.com/2012/07/offensive-guard-so-many-possibilities-for-the-steelers-to-explore-in-training-camp/). Overall though, how can you not be excited for this group. For once we have some serious names on both sides and a solid backup group should they be called upon.

Does Colon ultimately win that starting job on the left side?

Can DeCastro break the starting group as a rookie or will Ramon Foster keep him at bay for at least a little while?

How confident are you in Legursky and Essex as the primary backups?

K Train
07-23-2012, 12:02 PM
there is one possibility at guard, colon on the left and decastro on the right.

imo theres no way in hell foster keeps decastro off the field, he will be plugged in for day 1. Foster will be the primary backup at guard, legs will be the primary backup at center, and essex MIGHT be a swing player at all 5 positions but is not a lock to make the roster. Chris scott vs trai essex should be an epic brawl of mediocrity

ChucktownSteeler
07-23-2012, 12:59 PM
I agree, barring injuries it will be Colon and DeCastro.

Also saw Max Starks would start the season on the PUP, which in all likelihood means Adams is the starter at LT.

That puts Starks, Hampton, and possibly Mendy on the PUP. Is there a limit to the number of players per team that can be on the PUP?

TarlsQtr
07-23-2012, 01:40 PM

Also saw Max Starks would start the season on the PUP, which in all likelihood means Adams is the starter at LT.

That puts Starks, Hampton, and possibly Mendy on the PUP. Is there a limit to the number of players per team that can be on the PUP?

Starks is slated for the Active PUP list, which means he will be ready for the regular season and could easily still start (they put Big Snack on this when he came to camp too fat). Only players on the Reserve PUP List must sit the 6 weeks of the regular season.

The Lakelander
07-24-2012, 09:19 AM

Just ask New England ... they have 6 (at least) on their PUP already ... :lol:

jpele
07-24-2012, 09:41 AM
After the past two years how can anyone call Colon a sure thing?

K Train
07-24-2012, 10:33 AM
After the past two years how can anyone call Colon a sure thing?

he was very durable before his run of injuries i hope he can return to that and i think guard will be less chance of injury, especially on his knees (which should be 100% healed since his last injury was a shoulder one)

LatrobePA
07-24-2012, 10:55 AM
I just want to see this oline play pissed like Pouncey every snap, fn go out and kill people!

BubbyBlister
07-24-2012, 12:35 PM

That puts Starks, Hampton, and possibly Mendy on the PUP. Is there a limit to the number of players per team that can be on the PUP? My fantasy league only allows us to carry three HTH.

coldrolled
07-24-2012, 11:32 PM
Dont Forget Ryan Lee - Look at his stats compared to DD.. He has to give our other OG's a run for the money...

Name: Ryan Lee - #41 0f 188
College: Furman Number: 75
Height: 6-3 Weight: 310
Position: OG Pos2: C
Class/Draft Year: Sr/2012
40 Time: 5.05 40 Low: 4.96 40 High: 5.14
Bench Press 225 - 40

-----------------------------------------------------------

Name: *David DeCastro #1 of 188
College: Stanford Number: 52
Height: 6-5 Weight: 316
Class/Draft Year: rJr/2012
40 Time: 5.43 40 Low: 5.20 40 High: 5.55
Bench Press 225 - ??

Big T
07-25-2012, 12:03 AM
Dont Forget Ryan Lee - Look at his stats compared to DD.. He has to give our other OG's a run for the money...

Name: Ryan Lee - #41 0f 188
College: Furman Number: 75
Height: 6-3 Weight: 310
Class/Draft Year: Sr/2012
40 Time: 5.05 40 Low: 4.96 40 High: 5.14
Bench Press 225 - 40

-----------------------------------------------------------

Name: *David DeCastro #1 of 188
College: Stanford Number: 52
Height: 6-5 Weight: 316
Class/Draft Year: rJr/2012
40 Time: 5.43 40 Low: 5.20 40 High: 5.55
Bench Press 225 - ??

I'm not gonna lie and pretend that I know a lot about Ryan Lee, but comparing measurables is pretty useless, especially when comparing the best guard prospect in years (and as close to a cant miss prospect as you can get) to an undrafted free agent. I'm not saying the man can't pull a James Harrison or an Antonio Gates but I get a little annoyed when Ryan Lee comes up because I've seen so many Steelers fans (on these and other boards) talking him up like he's the second coming of Faneca.

coldrolled
07-25-2012, 07:42 AM
Right i get it, but who was ramon foster and Legs..????

K Train
07-25-2012, 10:20 AM
people get dazzled with the workour numbers for guards but its probably the position those numbers are the most useless. Ramon Foster was a nobody and still is, and i thought legs was a solid backup center coming out of marshall...and he is. Neither guy was a huge surprise, but arent starting quality players and i doubt lee is.

david decastro would smite you for that comparison

JensK
07-25-2012, 10:41 AM
You never know. I believe decastro is a pro-bowler for years to come, but Ryan Lee would not be the first nor the last surprise. Its a win-win situation either way. If he is better than either of our guards we got really lucky with him. If not, we did not really invest a whole lot in him. Works out perfect either way.

He is likely a very solid backup if he can get his foot inside the organisation.

coldrolled
07-26-2012, 12:25 AM
Im just stating that Lee could blow out ramon and legs... he was not the #1 rated guard DD is.. He is a number #41 guard...

Im just looking for a change with legs and ramon... lee is my pick...