PDA

View Full Version : Penn St fined $60M, wins vacated from '98-11

BlacknGold Bleeder
07-23-2012, 09:55 AM
By TOM COYNE and RALPH D. RUSSO, AP

INDIANAPOLIS The NCAA slammed Penn State with an unprecedented series of penalties Monday, including a $60 million fine and the loss of all coach Joe Paterno's victories from 1998-2011, in the wake of the Jerry Sandusky child sex abuse scandal.

Other sanctions include a four-year ban on bowl games, the loss of 20 scholarships per year over four years and five years' probation. The NCAA also said that any current or incoming football players are free to immediately transfer and compete at another school.

NCAA President Mark Emmert announced the staggering sanctions at a news conference in Indianapolis. Though the NCAA stopped short of imposing the "death penalty" shutting down the Nittany Lions' program completely the punishment is still crippling for a team that is trying to start over with a new coach and a new outlook.

Sandusky, a former Penn State defensive coordinator, was found guilty in June of sexually abusing young boys, sometimes on campus. An investigation commissioned by the school and released July 12 found that Paterno, who died in January, and several other top officials at Penn State stayed quiet for years about accusations against Sandusky.

Emmert fast-tracked penalties rather than go through the usual circuitous series of investigations and hearings. The NCAA said the $60 million is equivalent to the annual gross revenue of the football program. The money must be paid into an endowment for external programs preventing child sexual abuse or assisting victims and may not be used to fund such programs at Penn State.

"Football will never again be placed ahead of educating, nurturing and protecting young people," Emmert said.

Emmert had earlier said he had "never seen anything as egregious" as the horrific crimes of Sandusky and the cover-up by Paterno and others at the university, including former Penn State President Graham Spanier and athletic director Tim Curley.

The investigation headed by former FBI Director Louis Freeh said that Penn State officials kept what they knew from police and other authorities for years, enabling the abuse to go on.

There had been calls across the nation for Penn State to receive the "death penalty," and Emmert had not ruled out that possibility as late as last week though Penn State did not fit the criteria for it. That punishment is for teams that commit a major violation while already being sanctioned.

Stairwayto7
07-23-2012, 10:56 AM
When you really look at it, this is worse than the death penalty, this will take longer to get over! Hell SMU never really got over it! I don`t understand the wins? Why take it away from the players? Hopefully Jerry Sandusky will die a long slow painful death!

jpele
07-23-2012, 11:29 AM
How does this punish the people responsible ? It only hurts the kids,Sandusky's in jail and still screwing the kids with the NCAA's help.

steelersbabex25
07-23-2012, 12:04 PM
I love this because I hate everyone I know who goes to Penn State.

BlitzburghRockCity
07-23-2012, 12:52 PM
This is definitely worse than the death penalty. No bowl games for 4 years and the Big Ten took away 13 million in their bowl share revenue as well. No Big Ten championship game either.

This doesn't help the situation at all but it punishes all the kids there who had nothing to do with it. If I was them I'd be transferring out in a heart beat. No chance to showcase yourself in a bowl game, or championship game. You're record there is tarnished now even though you didn't do anything. You go Penn State and now it's a horrible thing.

Removing all those wins though, hell now all those players never won a game in their entire college career.

BlacknGold Bleeder
07-23-2012, 12:55 PM
I wonder too how this punishes Sandusky ,and those who enabled the abuse to go on. This seems to hurt the kids in the program now and the other sports at the school that are funded by the money the football program generates... I know that there needed to be some accountability by the school but how does anyone know what is appropriate if the rest of the school officials didn't know about it...

I love this because I hate everyone I know who goes to Penn State.

This is about the most ridiculous reasoning I have seen yet.

StlersGuy
07-23-2012, 01:09 PM
Such a load of crap and I'm thinking Bobby Bowden had everything to do with it because it's the only way he will ever pass Joe Pa for wins

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LarryNJ
07-23-2012, 01:42 PM
How else would you like them to punish Sandusky? This has nothing to do with him it's has everything to do with punishing the school.

"Football will never again be placed ahead of educating, nurturing and protecting young people," Emmert said.

You have to feel sorry for the current players I agree, but they can transfer, or keep their scholarships and not play. It would be impossible to punish the school without effecting current players. I think they did a good job at helping them. If they are elite players I'd guess their phones have been ringing off the hook with offers.

As far as taking Joe's wins away. I'd have to guess that the Bowden comment was a joke. Joe doesn't deserve to have have them. Maybe from 98-2001 but certainly not after that. He's not this holier than thou person that he made himself out to be for so many years. If he would have done the right thing he would be #1, now he's number 5 and we all know nobody remembers who the 5th best is.

Black@Gold Forever32
07-23-2012, 01:50 PM
Turning a blind eye is just as bad as what Sandusky did.........Yes I'm in the opinion that Joe Pa should have done more........this is whole story is really upsetting to me and I really hate talking about it....I do feel bad for the people at Penn State that were innocent and did no wrong but the punishment had to be severe...........

LarryNJ
07-23-2012, 02:00 PM
this is whole story is really upsetting to me and I really hate talking about it

That is the truth and I think most people feel the same way.

steelersbabex25
07-23-2012, 02:52 PM
This is about the most ridiculous reasoning I have seen yet.

Don't hate. I think everyone on this site is just a little biased because a lot of you have ties to Penn State. It's so annoying seeing ignorant posts on Facebook, Twitter, etc, about how any type of action is so unwarranted and everything the NCAA is doing is so ridiculous. I'm sorry, but there are obviously things that need to be fixed in that program and maybe this action will give them a kick in the *** to do it. I don't fully agree with the extreme measures taken but the reputation of the school and its football program was one of the main motives for 'turning the blind eye'. The people involved put public image before the health and safety of children and now it's just catching up to them.

BlacknGold Bleeder
07-23-2012, 05:33 PM
You tell me not to hate, but hate is the only reason your giving,lol. I don't have ties to Penn State unless I count nieces and nephews going there. I have never been a fan of Joe Pa and the whole State culture, I'm a hometown guy and root for Pitt first.
How is the program responsible for what a few men choose to hide and sweep under the rug?? Other then this unfortunate incident they have had few or no infractions of NCAA rules,at least haven't been caught. So my question is why does the school have to suffer because of the actions of a few men??

greennick
07-23-2012, 08:15 PM
Don't hate. I think everyone on this site is just a little biased because a lot of you have ties to Penn State. It's so annoying seeing ignorant posts on Facebook, Twitter, etc, about how any type of action is so unwarranted and everything the NCAA is doing is so ridiculous. I'm sorry, but there are obviously things that need to be fixed in that program and maybe this action will give them a kick in the *** to do it. I don't fully agree with the extreme measures taken but the reputation of the school and its football program was one of the main motives for 'turning the blind eye'. The people involved put public image before the health and safety of children and now it's just catching up to them.

So, as you hate everyone you know who goes to Penn state and almost everyone on this site has you're to Penn state, are you saying you hate almost everyone on this site? Seems odd, considering how much time you spend on here...

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

steelersbabex25
07-23-2012, 09:20 PM
Hm, seems like you're twisting my words quite a bit. First off, the comment about not liking everyone I know who goes to Penn State was a bit of a joke. If you knew me on this site you'd probably know that I usually have a serious reason for everything, which I did state. There's obviously issues in a program where multiple men know about a child molestation issue involving a man within their own program. Maybe they should have thought of this before. The entire university, the president, Joe Paterno, everyone knew about this for 14 years and didn't say anything. Somewhere there, there's an issue.

greennick
07-24-2012, 08:39 PM
Hm, seems like you're twisting my words quite a bit. First off, the comment about not liking everyone I know who goes to Penn State was a bit of a joke. If you knew me on this site you'd probably know that I usually have a serious reason for everything, which I did state. There's obviously issues in a program where multiple men know about a child molestation issue involving a man within their own program. Maybe they should have thought of this before. The entire university, the president, Joe Paterno, everyone knew about this for 14 years and didn't say anything. Somewhere there, there's an issue.

I'm surprised you didn't say you were joking before when initially called out for the comment before then.

I was under the impression from this report only 4 people knew. And then, not about every case. I thought Joe Pa only knew about the one case for example. No excuses for not pushing harder once he did, but it as hardly a monumental conspiracy where "the entire university" knew about it.

86WARD
07-24-2012, 08:53 PM
USC already trying to poach Silas Redd from the PSU roster.

steelersbabex25
07-24-2012, 09:01 PM
I'm surprised you didn't say you were joking before when initially called out for the comment before then.

I was under the impression from this report only 4 people knew. And then, not about every case. I thought Joe Pa only knew about the one case for example. No excuses for not pushing harder once he did, but it as hardly a monumental conspiracy where "the entire university" knew about it.

Oh, he only knew about one case? I get why he didn't speak up now..

Everyone that knew about it royally ****ed up by not saying anything, and now they're paying for it. Simple as that. The second that you put your public image ahead of the lives of so many people is the second that you lose my respect, and should lose everyone's respect.

jpele
07-24-2012, 10:15 PM
Everyone that knew about it royally ****ed up by not saying anything, and now they're paying for it. Simple as that..

And therein lies the problem, not one single person responsible for the coverup will suffer from the sanctions. Sandusky is in prison, Paterno is dead the other two are fired from their positions the only people suffering are the students.

HUNT4SEVEN
07-24-2012, 10:23 PM

Everyone that knew about it royally ****ed up by not saying anything, and now they're paying for it. Simple as that. The second that you put your public image ahead of the lives of so many people is the second that you lose my respect, and should lose everyone's respect.

THANK U SteelerBabex25 i agree 1000% with u and i cosign, i have NO respect for Pedophile State they should close that wicked place down...

RIVERS OF STEEL
07-24-2012, 10:42 PM
I think I am going to start following Rugby, Aussie Rules. If it's worth a shitt I'll let you know.

steelersbabex25
07-24-2012, 10:46 PM
And therein lies the problem, not one single person responsible for the coverup will suffer from the sanctions. Sandusky is in prison, Paterno is dead the other two are fired from their positions the only people suffering are the students.

Again I say, there are obviously issues in a program where you turn the other cheek to multiple cases of child abuse. The football program at Penn State had to be punished, and they were. A well deserved punishment IMO.

LarryNJ
07-24-2012, 11:24 PM
I think I am going to start following Rugby, Aussie Rules. If it's worth a shitt I'll let you know.

Rugby is a great sport to follow...Aussie rules football I can't comment on.

Those of you who feel it's an unjust punishment, would you feel the same way if one of the boys was your son?

jpele
07-25-2012, 12:13 AM
Rugby is a great sport to follow...Aussie rules football I can't comment on.

Those of you who feel it's an unjust punishment, would you feel the same way if one of the boys was your son?

Yes, I'd want the people responsible punished not some damn football team. Explain how to me how these sanctions affect the guilty persons. I can agree with the fines levied against Penn St. But not against some kids that absolutly nothing to do with the crime.

So you're ok with you being put on Megans list if it was found out that the previous owner of your home was a child molester and your neighbors covered it up ? After all you had nothing to do with it same as the football team had nothing to do with it.

greennick
07-25-2012, 05:55 AM

Aussie Rules is a great sport, but is being made progressively softer by the same desire to protect the head and stop concussions as we're seeing in the NFL.

If you're looking for a team to support, I recommend the West Coast Eagles from my hometown of Perth, Western Australia. ;)

greennick
07-25-2012, 06:00 AM

I'm just saying it wasn't necessarily a huge cover up from his end, just a pretty monumental **** up in not doing more. It was accepted in the report that he did tell the administration. How was Jo to know they knew of more?

I have no connection to Penn State. I just feel for all the new victims created as a result of this, that is the current students and those that now never had a college win.

LarryNJ
07-26-2012, 12:01 AM
Yes, I'd want the people responsible punished not some damn football team. Explain how to me how these sanctions affect the guilty persons. I can agree with the fines levied against Penn St. But not against some kids that absolutly nothing to do with the crime.

So you're ok with you being put on Megans list if it was found out that the previous owner of your home was a child molester and your neighbors covered it up ? After all you had nothing to do with it same as the football team had nothing to do with it.

Are you serious with the Megans list analogy? The entire problem started because of attitudes that the "Football team" must be protected. Now you still want to protect them. The guys responsible for the heinous crimes did it because they were trying to protect the football team...of course the friggin football team should be punished. It was child rape that occurred time and time again. Had Paterno and his crew did the right thing the many kids would have been spared Sandusky. As far as the kids on the current team, transfer it's as simple as that. There are 100's of schools that would love to have them on their team.

Aussie Rules is a great sport, but is being made progressively softer by the same desire to protect the head and stop concussions as we're seeing in the NFL.

If you're looking for a team to support, I recommend the West Coast Eagles from my hometown of Perth, Western Australia. ;)

I actually follow the Western Force from Perth! :)

steelersbabex25
07-26-2012, 09:58 AM
Are you serious with the Megans list analogy? The entire problem started because of attitudes that the "Football team" must be protected. Now you still want to protect them. The guys responsible for the heinous crimes did it because they were trying to protect the football team...of course the friggin football team should be punished. It was child rape that occurred time and time again. Had Paterno and his crew did the right thing the many kids would have been spared Sandusky. As far as the kids on the current team, transfer it's as simple as that. There are 100's of schools that would love to have them on their team.

Agree whole heatedly with what you're saying, but it isn't so easy to transfer. I have some friends who work in the admissions department at UMD, and they've been getting calls from a bunch of the Penn State players and a ton of the students at Penn State asking UMD to extend the transfer deadline so they can get out of Penn State, but we can't. It's sad.

jpele
07-26-2012, 12:24 PM

I actually follow the Western Force from Perth! :)

So the bottom line is, as long as the football team is punished you could care less that nothing is being done to the criminals.

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2

lloydfan4life
07-26-2012, 12:39 PM
So the bottom line is, as long as the football team is punished you could care less that nothing is being done to the criminals.

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2

Wow.... that's a pretty huge leap from what he actually said, don't ya think?

jpele
07-26-2012, 04:50 PM
Wow.... that's a pretty huge leap from what he actually said, don't ya think?

No I don't , he states outright the team needs to be punished . I'll ask once again how do these sanctions punish the guilty persons? The fine will benifit future victims and nothing else.

Why aren't they demanding that every trustee step down and take away the pensions of everyone connected to this mess. The joke that is the ncaa didn't even investigate the situation they took the word of someone else.

Dee Mca
07-26-2012, 05:12 PM
I can see both sides of the argument. However, taking scholarships away from deserving students isn't benefiting anyone. Can anyone honestly say that a 3rd string o lineman that only got a scholarship to PSU because his dad or uncle or some other family member played their can get a scholarship elsewhere? Any one have any idea how hard it is to get money to go to school these days? It is damn hard. Probably even harder for a kid with a 2.0 GPA and less than 1000 on SAT's like a lot of high school athletes. Hell I have a 4.0 GPA and a member of Phi Thata Kapa and I am begging and borrowing to get enough funding to finish my BA. No thanks to President Obama taking away the funding. I agree with Jpele go after the admin at PSU demand that they step down. Their the ones that covered it all up not the student athletes.

steelersbabex25
07-26-2012, 05:26 PM
I can see both sides of the argument. However, taking scholarships away from deserving students isn't benefiting anyone. Can anyone honestly say that a 3rd string o lineman that only got a scholarship to PSU because his dad or uncle or some other family member played their can get a scholarship elsewhere? Any one have any idea how hard it is to get money to go to school these days? It is damn hard. Probably even harder for a kid with a 2.0 GPA and less than 1000 on SAT's like a lot of high school athletes. Hell I have a 4.0 GPA and a member of Phi Thata Kapa and I am begging and borrowing to get enough funding to finish my BA. No thanks to President Obama taking away the funding. I agree with Jpele go after the admin at PSU demand that they step down. Their the ones that covered it all up not the student athletes.

Students with 2.0 GPAs and less than a 1000 on their SATs shouldn't be admitted to schools that are ordinarily hard to get into because of athletic talent. I hate that system. I hate that I had to work my *** off to get into UMD and I'm in classes with some of the dumbest kids that I've ever met because they happen to be good at a sport. I also hate that all the athletes are given mopeds by the school because it would be a catastrophe if they wasted their legs walking around campus like the rest of us low lives. //off topic rant off.

Dee Mca
07-26-2012, 05:35 PM
Ok but still their is some schools where even a 3.0 and a high SAT won't get you in the door. I know to even be accepted into the IU school of law I need at least a 3.75. Regardless in the end their will be some kid left out because PSU lost those scholarships. Instead of the NCAA stepping in and demanding the Board or Trustee's to totally clean house at PSU. If this conspiracy is so huge that it involved all these different people who is to say who else knew what was going on and turned a blind eye. I haven't seen anything yet about the janitorial staff at PSU. Everyone knows custodians know whats going on. How about all these officials that had assistants and secretaries. How come we haven't seen anything about them being fired or asked to resign from their jobs?

LarryNJ
07-27-2012, 12:17 AM
The current team is going to be playing every Saturday in the fall. They can't play in bowl games and have their scholarships cut back. How does that punish the current team? The hand full of possible future NFL players it definitely effects. They can transfer to any school they want to. I don't believe anyone has left yet, although they have been heavily recruited already. So while it may be an inconvenience the NCAA basically made them free agents, so they can transfer if the want and certainly will have multiple offers to choose from. The others even though they may not be as heavily recruited still have the same options. From what I heard many of them want to stay and be part of the new era. I think that is great and I admire them for their dedication to the school. I believe it will make them all better players and people.

The NCAA did investigate it, they hired someone who was in charge of the FBI. Who is more qualified than that to conduct an investigation? Certainly not the board of the NCAA. They did what ever company does, hires an expert to do what they aren't capable of doing. I believe the punishment they handed out was not only justified but was done with the current players in mind. From what I heard of Bill O'Brien's interview I was impressed. I wish him and his team the best of luck in the future. It won't be an easy road, but he sounds like he is up to the challenge.

greennick
07-27-2012, 02:58 AM
I thought Freeh was paid for and contracted by Penn State?

LarryNJ
07-27-2012, 06:24 AM
I thought Freeh was paid for and contracted by Penn State?

You're right they did, I miss stated it. They used his report as the major evidence. They were actually considering a much harsher punishment of a 4 year ban. You can bet that there will still be 100,000+ at every home game come September.

Do they actually give 3rd string lineman scholarships?

Dee Mca
07-27-2012, 09:41 AM
I think the NCAA rushed a decision in their dealing out punishment. Just to insure it was all handed out before the season began and to give the players that wanted to transfer the chance to make a decision. I have a feeling that some might want to argue that the punishment to PSU is for the healing of the victims. I think the victims will get more closure from Jerry being sentenced than the punishment to the school.
A 3rd string lineman at PSU could be a starter at a different program. Coming out of high school I was offered a full ride to a D-2 school because I was the back up long snapper. During my interviews with the coach's thats all they talked about was how that is an extremely important position.

greennick
07-27-2012, 10:29 AM
You're right they did, I miss stated it. They used his report as the major evidence. They were actually considering a much harsher punishment of a 4 year ban. You can bet that there will still be 100,000+ at every home game come September.

Do they actually give 3rd string lineman scholarships?

I think it is more the fact you can't take punts on players as many don't work out. A lot of scholarship players barely get game time.