PDA

View Full Version : Sanders in for Wallace if things don't change?

BlitzburghRockCity
07-22-2012, 04:15 PM
Just for the sake of argument, let's say that Mike Wallace’s holdout continues into training camp. Depending on how long it would be do you force Wallace into the starting lineup as soon as he returns or do put Manny Sanders in for him for the time being until Wallace is ready? Even if it means starting the season?

I know it's hypothetical right now but you know the timing of Ben with DaKid will be off on those deep routes.

- From BRC's Droid Bionic of Coolness

ChucktownSteeler
07-22-2012, 05:01 PM
I am for whatever benefits the team. Right now Wallace isn't helping the team or himself.

I hate this me only mindset.

C-town

BubbyBlister
07-22-2012, 05:34 PM
Wallace should be there but yea Brown, Sanders and Crotchery isn't to shabby either. Ben has more weapons to play with this year then Stallone had in Rambo 3.

Black@Gold Forever32
07-22-2012, 05:37 PM
I love Manny Sanders ( in my opinion I think he has the talent to be the best of the three) But Sanders needs to prove he can stay healthy first for an entire season.......the sky is the limit for him and I really hope he breaks out this year......

BubbyBlister
07-22-2012, 05:43 PM
I love Manny Sanders ( in my opinion I think he has the talent to be the best of the three) But Sanders needs to prove he can stay healthy first for an entire season.......the sky is the limit for him and I really hope he breaks out this year...... I think Manny has potential and we haven't seen his best football yet but personally I don't think he will ever be the best of the three. Wallace is the one with the sky is the limit with his speed. If he can polish up the rest of his game then look out. The old saying is true you can't coach speed.

ChucktownSteeler
07-22-2012, 06:45 PM
I think Manny is the real deal.

Black@Gold Forever32
07-22-2012, 07:46 PM
I think Manny has potential and we haven't seen his best football yet but personally I don't think he will ever be the best of the three. Wallace is the one with the sky is the limit with his speed. If he can polish up the rest of his game then look out. The old saying is true you can't coach speed.

Sanders isn't exactly show and runs great routes.....Sanders is silky smooth at running his routes.....Health has been his only question.....I'm anxious to see Haley take Wallace, Sanders, and Brown to new heights.....

BubbyBlister
07-22-2012, 08:19 PM
Sanders isn't exactly show and runs great routes.....Sanders is silky smooth at running his routes.....Health has been his only question.....I'm anxious to see Haley take Wallace, Sanders, and Brown to new heights..... I think Sanders can be a very good wr and glad he is with Pitt but still don't see him being better then Brown and specially Wallace. That said there is a lot to love about Sanders and lets hope he stays healthy to prove it. Also agree he does run routes very well for a young wr. I know he ain't slow either but nobody has Wallace speed period.

BubbyBlister
07-22-2012, 08:29 PM
Also lets not forget about Crotchery and he was a star for the Jets a few years back. On another team without all this talent at wr you would be hearing about him. This is the best wr core the Steelers ever had and that includes the 70's. That in it's own speaks for itself.

Dee Mca
07-22-2012, 08:45 PM
I feel Manny can fill in just fine until Wallace decides to be a team player and sign his deal. Manny has had plenty of time now to heal up from all his injuries. Let's just hope he didn't catch anything from D-sep. Not taking anything away from D-sep just sad his career cut short because of injuries.

BlitzburghRockCity
07-22-2012, 10:21 PM
Sanders is the best route runner of the three from what I know, Wallace doesn't even come close in that department. Until he shows he can come back to the ball and catch it in traffic consistently he's still just a deep threat.

I don't know that it will even come down to this but if Wallace does hold out longer, Sanders is going to be the beneficiary of that.

HUNT4SEVEN
07-23-2012, 05:14 AM
When they were all drafted Sanders was the better of them, and he made the field faster than Wallace and Brown, Sanders ONLY issue is staying healthy, with the addition of Rainey and Clemons if Clemons proves to be a quick study he and Rainey could make us all forget about Wallace,Clemons ran a 4.36 at his pro day plus he has the height, but if we go with Brown ,Sanders, Cotchery, Miller,and Rainey i think we will still have a dangerous group of receivers, i'll just be glad when the Wallace drama is done with.

steelcitysfinestXL
07-23-2012, 09:08 AM
When they were all drafted Sanders was the better of them, and he made the field faster than Wallace and Brown, Sanders ONLY issue is staying healthy

I dont understand your post. Wallace was drafted a year before sanders and brown. In 2010, when Sanders and Brown were drafted, Wallace was a starter (the no. 1 WR) put up 1250 yards and 10 Tds. Sanders had 376 yards and 2 Tds.

scudmissile29
07-23-2012, 09:29 AM
I dont understand your post. Wallace was drafted a year before sanders and brown. In 2010, when Sanders and Brown were drafted, Wallace was a starter (the no. 1 WR) put up 1250 yards and 10 Tds. Sanders had 376 yards and 2 Tds.

wallace also had a 100 yard game in his 3rd game.

steelcitysfinestXL
07-23-2012, 09:51 AM
wallace also had a 100 yard game in his 3rd game.

Exactly, and had receptions in the first 2 games of his rookie year. Sanders didn't have a reception until half way though his rookie year. Don't get me wrong, I'm pretty high on Sanders and think he can be every bit as productive as AB.

Real Deal Steel
07-23-2012, 12:48 PM
Sanders is the best route runner of the three from what I know, Wallace doesn't even come close in that department. Until he shows he can come back to the ball and catch it in traffic consistently he's still just a deep threat.

I don't know that it will even come down to this but if Wallace does hold out longer, Sanders is going to be the beneficiary of that.

Exactly!! And Brown is a better route runner too then Wallace. This "idea" that Wallace is the clear cut # 1 WR around here is hog wash! How can a guy ask for big money when he hasn't even proven he's the best WR on his team??

K Train
07-23-2012, 12:53 PM
brown is not a better route runner than wallace, his routes are atrocious. watch clips, even when ben gets him the ball he looks at him like wtf were you doing.

Its something they all need to work on, nate washington had the deep threat only label but he actually grew into a decent route runner, wallace has done the same thing.

also, cedric wilson was the best route runner of ward/wilson/el....look what that got him

ChucktownSteeler
07-23-2012, 12:55 PM
Exactly!! And Brown is a better route runner too then Wallace. This "idea" that Wallace is the clear cut # 1 WR around here is hog wash! How can a guy ask for big money when he hasn't even proven he's the best WR on his team??

I couldn't agree more. The numbers between Brown and Wallace last year were almost identical (with the exception of TDs, 8 vs. 2) and I believe Wallace played 16 games to Brown's 15 games. I don't think between Wallace, Brown, or Sanders there is a clear #1. Don't forget Crothery is in the mix as well, with his first year under his belt. I don't think we really need to sink $12 - $15 million into Wallace.

Just my opinion.

C-town

TarlsQtr
07-23-2012, 01:21 PM
There is NO WAY that Sanders can be in the discussion as the "number 1" and 6 TDs (8 to 2) is a pretty darn big "exception."

And look at the tapes of last year. Wallace always drew a corner and saftey help over the top. Are you telling me that Brown did not benefit A LOT from that?

K Train
07-23-2012, 01:24 PM
8-2 TDs is huge, and in their first two years 16-2 is incredibly huge

Big T
07-23-2012, 01:36 PM
No clear cut number 1 between the three? Completely and utterly laughable. It's amazing what missing a couple OTAs can do to someone's reputation around here.

But don't you ever, ever talk bad about the "can do no wrong" Hines Ward. He's a choir boy. Holding out from training camp in 2005 wasn't his fault.

TarlsQtr
07-23-2012, 01:45 PM
With the "exception" of about 20,000 yards and 180 TDs, Weegie Thompson was just as good as Jerry Rice...

Big T
07-23-2012, 01:51 PM
With the "exception" of about 20,000 yards and 180 TDs, Weegie Thompson was just as good as Jerry Rice...

The man could block though lol

TarlsQtr
07-23-2012, 01:59 PM
True! I remember when Ronnie Lott had nothing but good things to say about Weegie the year the Steelers were the only team to beat the Niners. He hit Lott over and over again the entire game.

Perhaps I need to amend my earlier statement: "With the "exception" of blocking, Jerry Rice was just as good as Weegie Thompson." :-)

Black@Gold Forever32
07-23-2012, 02:42 PM
No clear cut number 1 between the three? Completely and utterly laughable. It's amazing what missing a couple OTAs can do to someone's reputation around here.

But don't you ever, ever talk bad about the "can do no wrong" Hines Ward. He's a choir boy. Holding out from training camp in 2005 wasn't his fault.

Thank you and I mentioned Hines Wards hold out in 2005 but somebody told me it doesn't compare to Wallace.......So far Wallace has missed OTA's......Which are over-rated......The only reason OTA's seem like a big deal these days is the non stop coverage of the NFL with the NFL Network and ESPN with their countless NFL shows......Really I don't care if Wallace holds out during camp.....Now if he is misses games then it becomes a big deal....I'm still confident a new deal will be reached before the season......At most Wallace might miss is a the first couple weeks of camp......

Black@Gold Forever32
07-23-2012, 02:46 PM
When they were all drafted Sanders was the better of them, and he made the field faster than Wallace and Brown, Sanders ONLY issue is staying healthy, with the addition of Rainey and Clemons if Clemons proves to be a quick study he and Rainey could make us all forget about Wallace,Clemons ran a 4.36 at his pro day plus he has the height, but if we go with Brown ,Sanders, Cotchery, Miller,and Rainey i think we will still have a dangerous group of receivers, i'll just be glad when the Wallace drama is done with.

Stop just stop....this is beyond laughable.......I like both Rainey and Clemons but both were drafted in 5th and 7th rounds for reasons........Saying those two will make us forget about Mike Wallace is ridiculous......Both Rainey or Clemons havn't even taken a snap in training camp yet......Both have to make the team first.......

I'm saying a prayer right now.....Dear God, please have Mike Wallace sign soon so the madness can stop....Some within the Stiller Nation have lost their minds.........Thank You.....BGF32.................

steelcitysfinestXL
07-23-2012, 02:58 PM
Stop just stop...

I'm saying a prayer right now.....Dear God, please have Mike Wallace sign soon so the madness can stop....Some within the Stiller Nation have lost their minds.........Thank You.....BGF32.................

LMFAO! I said that same prayer last week.

Black@Gold Forever32
07-23-2012, 03:04 PM
LMFAO! I said that same prayer last week.

Man its just really getting out of hand and really over blown......Mike Wallace really isn't holding out yet and plus comments of get his *** back to the team is really interesting since there isn't any team work outs going on at the moment....lol New rules put in place restrict how much time NFL players can work out at a teams facilities......Yea Wallace missed OTA's which are over-rated.........Football in shorts....lol

Real Deal Steel
07-23-2012, 03:44 PM
8-2 TDs is huge, and in their first two years 16-2 is incredibly huge

I hear ya K but Wallace had a chance to get on the field before Brown minus Browns injuries. Wallace is the so called, " #1" because he's had more time but is he really the clear number 1 WR on this team? Time will tell. But....my point is that if a guy isn't the clear cut # 1 WR on his own team, then how much money can he really command? That's my point.

Raleigh Steel
07-23-2012, 04:00 PM
I could be wrong but reading a lot of quotes about Wallace this off season, you would think that this guy is equal to Troy Edwards, while AB is equal to jerry rice.

Both guys are very good, with the ability to be great. Sanders could be that way too if he stays healthy.

So why all the negativity surrounding Wallace?
Let the negotiations run their course and hopefully we can enjoy all 3 players plus cotchery on the field this season.

K Train
07-23-2012, 04:04 PM
I could be wrong but reading a lot of quotes about Wallace this off season, you would think that this guy is equal to Troy Edwards, while AB is equal to jerry rice.

Both guys are very good, with the ability to be great. Sanders could be that way too if he stays healthy.

Let the negotiations run their course and hopefully we can enjoy all 3 players plus cotchery on the field this season.
on the cusp of a holdout and only outplayed his team mate receivers when he should have scored at least 25 TDs and rewrote the record book last year in order to warrant a pay raise

the funny thing is i see a lot of wallace is an *******, wallace is a diva, wallace is quitting on his team....hes really a nice guy lol, all 3 of them are

Black@Gold Forever32
07-23-2012, 06:32 PM

Troy Edwards....really?.........You're way off.....Edwards was a first round pick and was a total reach.....The Steelers should have never drafted Edwards were he was picked.....I can't remember off hand but he was around 11th or 13th overall pick in the 99 draft.......Edwards had a solid rookie year and then dropped off big time.......

Mike Wallace was a third round pick who keeps getting better and better........

Please don't compare any WR to Jerry Rice....Nobody compares to Rice........

ChucktownSteeler
07-23-2012, 06:44 PM
brown is not a better route runner than wallace, his routes are atrocious. watch clips, even when ben gets him the ball he looks at him like wtf were you doing.

Its something they all need to work on, nate washington had the deep threat only label but he actually grew into a decent route runner, wallace has done the same thing.

also, cedric wilson was the best route runner of ward/wilson/el....look what that got him

Not tooo sure Wallace is a great route runner either. What was a game last year Ben was in Wallace's arse. They definately were not on the same page at the end of the year and Brown became Ben's "golden boy", no doubt. Wallace isn't doing anyone (including himself) favors right now.

DeCastro is signed, there are no more excuses, sign your tender (per CBA agreement) and get your arse to camp. Then you can work on a long term deal ala Lamaar Woodley. You wont hold the Steeler hostage, ask Mike Merriweather how that works.

K Train
07-23-2012, 06:49 PM
i woldnt call wallace a great one, but hes not as bad as hes made out to be...he used to be just a 9 route guy, but hes improved greatly. i know the play you are talking about, it was a slant lol, the announcers made such a big deal of ben getting on wallace that play

steelcitysfinestXL
07-23-2012, 07:29 PM
I think I'm gonna bow out of threads containing Mike Wallace for a while. Some of these comments are beyond ridiculous and getting worse, lol!!!

Big T
07-23-2012, 07:47 PM
I think I'm gonna bow out of threads containing Mike Wallace for a while. Some of these comments are beyond ridiculous and getting worse, lol!!!

Completely agree

Real Deal Steel
07-23-2012, 08:25 PM
Wallace is not an *******, traitor or anything so absurd. But he's not the brightest bulb in the light store if you think you can arm twist the Steelers front office into giving you more money before they are ready to.

ChucktownSteeler
07-23-2012, 08:31 PM
Wallace is not an *******, traitor or anything so absurd. But he's not the brightest bulb in the light store if you think you can arm twist the Steelers front office into giving you more money before they are ready to.

Agreed.

Raleigh Steel
07-23-2012, 08:47 PM
BG 32, please re-read my post. You totally missed my point!

ChucktownSteeler
07-24-2012, 08:00 AM
I bow out, I think the points are being misread or misinterpreted.

C-town

BlitzburghRockCity
07-26-2012, 01:30 AM
Sanders said today that he's taking Wallace’s spot for the time being. You gotta think he's going to take full advantage of the chance to be in the spotlight now.

Every day that he shows up well while Wallace holds is a big plus for the whole offense.

- From BRC's Droid Bionic of Coolness

ChucktownSteeler
07-26-2012, 07:59 AM
Sanders can step-up and have his time to shine.

It's a great opportunity for Manny!

C-town

The Lakelander
07-26-2012, 09:40 AM
I love Manny Sanders ( in my opinion I think he has the talent to be the best of the three) But Sanders needs to prove he can stay healthy first for an entire season.......the sky is the limit for him and I really hope he breaks out this year......

I contend ...

Sanders injury happened in the 16th (15th?) game of the 2010 season, did it not? ... and it was a broken bone in his foot that didn't heal properly ...

As such, it required a lengthy recovery that carried the injury in to the 2011 season ...

Sanders should be healthy now ...

I, for one, am not concerned about Sanders "health" ... the injury was unfortunate and difficult in nature ... it wasn't a muscle (soft tissue) injury ...

Sanders is going to be great! ...

My concern for the Wallace holdout is this ... Who are the #4 and #5 WR's going to be? ... We shall soon find out if any of our camp invitees are legit NFL caliber WR's ... if not, then we are suddenly thin at WR until Wallace signs ...

The Lakelander
07-26-2012, 09:56 AM
Derrick Williams

Jimmy Young

Toney Clemons

Jaumorris Stewart

Marquis Maze

Tyler Beiler

K Train
07-26-2012, 10:01 AM
i like derrick williams and tony clemons out of that group to make the last spot(s)

steelcitysfinestXL
07-26-2012, 11:04 AM
i like derrick williams and tony clemons out of that group to make the last spot(s)

Me too. Williams was in the mold of a Percy Harvin type guy at PSU. While he hasnt shown that ability (or much else) at the pro level the skill set IS there. This dude was AMAZING at PSU and with his abaility to do a multitude of things (wr/rb/pr/kr) he may crack this roster.

cmerrifield
07-26-2012, 11:23 AM
This hold out could work in our favor. Sanders gets extra reps before Wallace comes back and probably cotchery and the new guys too. It might not be ideal, but in the long run it could make our receivers better.

sent from my Samsung Galaxy Siii using tapatalk 2

LatrobePA
07-26-2012, 11:25 AM
This hold out could work in our favor. Sanders gets extra reps before Wallace comes back and probably cotchery and the new guys too. It might not be ideal, but in the long run it could make our receivers better.

I agree, it's not so bad other than Wallace not being on the same page..

cmerrifield
07-26-2012, 11:36 AM
I agree, it's not so bad other than Wallace not being on the same page..

Yeah but like Cotchery said he is the #1 guy, so he will get plenty of time to catch up.

Real Deal Steel
07-26-2012, 04:42 PM
Clemons is almost six feet, two inches right? He brings something the others don't. The combination of speed and size. Need him in the red zone.

Black@Gold Forever32
07-26-2012, 05:38 PM
Clemons is almost six feet, two inches right? He brings something the others don't. The combination of speed and size. Need him in the red zone.

Agree but he has to make the team first......I'm not saying he won't but I want to see him actually make the team before proclaiming him to be anything more then training camp fodder....Trust me I'm rooting for him to blow camp up and show something....

Real Deal Steel
07-26-2012, 08:37 PM
Of course we have to see that he makes the team. That goes without saying. But I'm just saying that his skill set for us is unique.

Black@Gold Forever32
07-26-2012, 10:17 PM
Of course we have to see that he makes the team. That goes without saying. But I'm just saying that his skill set for us is unique.

I know what you're saying man......I agree I like his skill set....I just keep my expectations low especially since he was a 7th rounder....Trust me I hope he becomes a player and is part of the WR rotation sooner rather then later.....

BlitzburghRockCity
07-28-2012, 03:25 PM
The knock on Clemons is that he's got a decent first step off the line then but then can struggle in traffic getting in and out of breaks quickly. Also he can get swallowed up by good coverage. All things that can be worked on if he can make the team.

Real Deal Steel
07-28-2012, 08:10 PM
You know there a quit a few Steeler fans who still envision that big WR in the red zone that Plaxico was suppose to be. Granted Clemons isn't as big as Plax but he's taller then anything else we have.

CowherPower
07-30-2012, 04:37 PM
From what I hear Sanders is having a good camp so far, even if he did get a day off on Sunday to rest his knee. I do hope it's precautionary like Tomlin said but man this kid can break out if given the opportunity. If Wallace never does show up for camp, I'm all for Sanders taking over.