PDA

View Full Version : Could DeCastro be holding up the Wallace negotiations ?

connecticutsteel
07-16-2012, 10:06 PM
http://network.yardbarker.com/nfl/article_external/steelers_decastro_may_be_holding_up_wallace_negoti ations/11230360

original story above

ChucktownSteeler
07-16-2012, 10:44 PM
IMHO they two are not related.

BlacknGold Bleeder
07-16-2012, 11:32 PM
Isn't there a rookie pay scale now?? if so they pretty much know how much room they have... or is Wallace still demanding money that he just doesn't deserve,the kind that Fitz and Megatron make...

connecticutsteel
07-17-2012, 12:58 AM
There is a rookie scale but that isn't the issue the issue for rookies is 2 fold length of contract 3 or 4 yrs and guaranteed money. both of those things affect the cap

cmerrifield
07-17-2012, 08:22 AM
Actually, neither of those things affect the cap. The contract has to be 4 years with a 5th year option that would make DeCastro's salary the average of the top ten OL in the league. That is the way the new CBA works. Then, the argument is over how much of his deal is guaranteed and how much the Steelers are on the hook if they cut him and another team signs him. So if the Steelers are supposed to pay him 2 million, but cut him and another team pays him 1 million, the Steelers want to only pay 1 million and DeCastro would want them to still pay 2. However, whether money is guaranteed or not has nothing to do with the cap. Its the same.

K Train
07-17-2012, 10:20 AM
Isn't there a rookie pay scale now?? if so they pretty much know how much room they have... or is Wallace still demanding money that he just doesn't deserve,the kind that Fitz and Megatron make...

this just appears to be such a bold assumtion by steeler fans. no one ever suggested wallace wanted to be the highest paid offensive player in the NFL, his agent hinted at money closer to what fitz got and considering his production through 3 years he certainly is going to warrant somewhere around there...more than v jackson, d jackson, holmes, garcon...ect

but that being said decastro isnt holding it up, there stuck on option details, they know what the cap hit is going to be

coldrolled
07-17-2012, 11:34 AM
Is the Cap so tight they need to wait into camp to see who else is expendable?

steelcitysfinestXL
07-17-2012, 12:18 PM
Is the Cap so tight they need to wait into camp to see who else is expendable?

http://www.steelersdepot.com/2012/07/steelers-still-in-good-shape-salary-cap-wise-for-2012-season/

Heres a good article descibing the current cap issue of the steelers. To sum it up: The steelers we are looking at is about $5.234 mil in cap space (that includes Wallaces $2.75 mil tender and DeCastros temp $390,000 contract) . Assuming Decastro signs for the expected $1.6 cap hit this season (minus $390K for his unsigned salary) they'd be left with ~$4 mil. He then goes on to basically say if they sign Wallace to a backloaded deal that pays him $5 mil this year you take back his $2.75 mil tender and pay him 5 mil. leaving $1.75 mil in cap space. He adds if the Steelers release Jonathan Scott before the season it frees up $2.2 mil. Add that to Wallaces now $5 mil cap hit and the have ~$4 mil. in cap space. Then add the final two roster spots and practice squat which he valued at $1.5 mil and they are under the cap by $2.5 mil by the start of the season... hope that helped more than it confused!

Real Deal Steel
07-17-2012, 05:11 PM
Front Office needs to take care of this Decastro signing. It should have been done by now.

K Train
07-17-2012, 05:34 PM
i just dont get what difference that makes? as long as hes in camp day one its fine....they have a good streak going getting guys in camp

BlitzburghRockCity
07-17-2012, 07:01 PM
Decastro hasn't missed anything with the team due to his contract status. It wouldn't be the first time they've got an 11th hour deal done so a player can get to camp.

I won't be concerned about it until he starts missing camp time.

They've got Wallace stuff deal to do and Decastro with very little cap space. I wouldn't be shocked if cut someone else before camp to free up a couple extra million.

- From BRC's Droid Bionic of Coolness

TarlsQtr
07-17-2012, 09:26 PM
I have no worries about getting Decastro in. Khan is the master, probably the best in the league.

BlitzburghRockCity
07-18-2012, 11:12 AM
I still think the language in these new deals is part the problem with getting Decastro's deal done too.

http://mobile.washingtonpost.com/rss.jsp?rssid=153811&item=http://www.washingtonpost.com/Fragment/SysConfig/WebPortal/twpweb/rss/mobile/blog-entry.jpp?id=1001.4.3617689131&cid=-1&fullSiteUrl=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.washingtonpost.com%2F blogs%2Ffootball-insider%2Fpost%2Foffset-language-could-be-holding-up-deals-for-robert-griffin-iii-other-top-picks%2F2012%2F07%2F17%2FgJQA78aerW_blog.html

- From BRC's Droid Bionic of Coolness

connecticutsteel
07-18-2012, 06:35 PM
J Scott cut J harrison cut? maybe but not likely

K Train
07-18-2012, 06:41 PM
this isnt madden you cant just cut your most productive defender and move on with jason worilds and chris carter no big deal. hes our best run defender and best pass rusher, do you know how rare that is? he could play 4 positions, and he is a turnover machine....he makes a lot of money but he deserves to make a lot of money

tburg68
07-19-2012, 12:39 AM
I'm glad that forum posters aren't the GM of the Steelers.

Danger DANJ
07-19-2012, 03:09 AM
J Scott cut J harrison cut? maybe but not likely

Cut James Harrison? Say what? There is no chance that would happen. As for Scott, I say cut him now. It's going to happen so why delay the inevitable.

ChucktownSteeler
07-19-2012, 09:49 AM
RGIII signed, soon the rest will fall in place.

It has been reported Wallace now wants Brees' money. J/k

C-town

Real Deal Steel
07-19-2012, 12:40 PM
Language in the new deal IS effecting us. Just like it's effecting a lot of the teams in signing these guys. Language for that 4th year has been the sticking point everyone is saying.

steelcitysfinestXL
07-19-2012, 03:15 PM
Language in the new deal IS effecting us. Just like it's effecting a lot of the teams in signing these guys. Language for that 4th year has been the sticking point everyone is saying.

I think the concern of th OP is: Could DeCastro signing be holding up negotiations with Wallace? I belive the answer is NO. His cap hit THIS season is set. Teams are having problem w/ the last year options, yes. I highly doubt that is effecting negotiations with Mike Wallace.

connecticutsteel
07-19-2012, 03:48 PM
Jesus !!!!! help me did anyone see the question mark next to Harrison's name no people see cut james harrison like that is what i'm saying they should do what the question make does is make it a question a silly one but anything is possible just trying to present all possibilties