PDA

View Full Version : Steelers Still Optimistic They'll Sign WR Mike Wallace Before Training Camp

Pages : [1] 2

86WARD
07-15-2012, 08:52 PM
http://cbssports.com/images/blogs/mike-wallace-350x250-steelers.jpg

Steelers wide receiver Mike Wallace is the last remaining restricted free agent yet to sign his tender offer. Pittsburgh general manager Kevin Colbert has made it clear for months that Wallace is in the team's long-term plans though as recently as last week Len Pasquarelli reported that there had been "very little negotiation" between the two sides. ESPN's John Clayton confirms as much but thinks that, even with training camp starting in 10 days, there's still time to get a deal done. "No deal (yet), but talking to people in the Steelers organization they're still optimistic that something can get done and get done before training camp," Clayton said recently. "And that's they're history, they've always been good about taking care of their top players and now Mike Wallace is one of their top young players. So even though nothing is close at the moment, there is still time before the start of camp and people in the Steelers organization are confident they can get something done, that there will be no hold out, and Wallace will be signed to a long-term deal."

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/blog/eye-on-football/19591242/report-steelers-optimistic-on-new-mike-wallace-deal-before-training-camp

Real Deal Steel
07-15-2012, 10:39 PM
We'll see come Monday.

BlitzburghRockCity
07-16-2012, 01:07 AM
Yawn... I'm over the Wallace thing. Sign him or don't... Blah Blah Blah.

He'll sign at some point when he realizes he can't bully them into more money than they are comfortable giving him.

- From BRC's Droid Bionic of Coolness

Real Deal Steel
07-16-2012, 02:11 AM
Longer he's out, the more reps the other WR's get, and the value of Wallace to us goes down.

Yeah Mike, keep holding out. You'll show them. :rolleyes:

greg1964
07-16-2012, 07:33 AM
What Mike Wallace will the Steelers get? The one that played the first 8 games, or the one that played the second 8 games: because those were two diffrent Mike Wallace: I'm sure Wallace impact have something to do with Brown stats, but IF the reports of what Wallace is asking for are true: if shouldn't make a diffrence that team route coverage his diection or not. Larry Fit, Calvin Johnson, A. Johnson, and many others have coverage roll to their side of the field, and they still make plays.

I think Wallace, Brown, Sanders, and Cot give the Steelers the best chance to win, but Brown, Sanders, Cot and Miller (TE) isn't so bad either.

Remember everyone through the Steelers were unwise to get rid of Holmes, and Plex when they did but the Steelers just keep on moving on. If Wallace dosen't sign his tender and missing any camp, he is only hurting his valve to the team. Brown and Sanders BOTH have speed and Cot and Millers can work the intermediated routes. besides, IF THE DESIRE IS TO PROTECT BEN

greg1964
07-16-2012, 07:35 AM
What Mike Wallace will the Steelers get? The one that played the first 8 games, or the one that played the second 8 games: because those were two diffrent Mike Wallace: I'm sure Wallace impact have something to do with Brown stats, but IF the reports of what Wallace is asking for are true: if shouldn't make a diffrence that team route coverage his diection or not. Larry Fit, Calvin Johnson, A. Johnson, and many others have coverage roll to their side of the field, and they still make plays.

I think Wallace, Brown, Sanders, and Cot give the Steelers the best chance to win, but Brown, Sanders, Cot and Miller (TE) isn't so bad either.

Remember everyone through the Steelers were unwise to get rid of Holmes, and Plex when they did but the Steelers just keep on moving on. If Wallace dosen't sign his tender and missing any camp, he is only hurting his valve to the team. Brown and Sanders BOTH have speed and Cot and Millers can work the intermediated routes. besides, IF THE DESIRE IS TO PROTECT BEN, their aren't many 7 and 9 routes anywhy. The best way to protect Ben is a short passing game with run after the catch. Which seams to favor Brown and Sanders anyway.

steelcitysfinestXL
07-16-2012, 07:43 AM
I'm of the belief that the FO knows what's best for the team. While fans all across Steeler Nation have been blasting Mike Wallace for not atteding voluntary workouts; the FO, Tomlin and Kevin Colbert have said nothing but: "We understand his position and we all want to reach a long term deal." "We are sure we can get a deal done!" So while most fans are trying to find excuses to push this guy out the door, it sounds to me like the Steelers know how important he really is. Like I've said all along: this won't be a big deal until he misses the first week of training camp. Hell it's not even considered a holdout until he misses TC time.

Black@Gold Forever32
07-16-2012, 11:14 AM
I'm of the belief that the FO knows what's best for the team. While fans all across Steeler Nation have been blasting Mike Wallace for not atteding voluntary workouts; the FO, Tomlin and Kevin Colbert have said nothing but: "We understand his position and we all want to reach a long term deal." "We are sure we can get a deal done!" So while most fans are trying to find excuses to push this guy out the door, it sounds to me like the Steelers know how important he really is. Like I've said all along: this won't be a big deal until he misses the first week of training camp. Hell it's not even considered a holdout until he misses TC time.

This..........agree 100%

LatrobePA
07-16-2012, 11:27 AM
Steelers Still Optimistic but is Mike?

connecticutsteel
07-16-2012, 01:24 PM
Wallace bumped his head! I just read something that said Wallace said he has more yards than Rice& Moss i there first 3 seasons .Wallace isn't even the best reciever on the team that would be AB Wallace is fast but his hands are a little suspectand he body catches too much.We can use Rainey to take the top off the defense . good bye mike!

Black@Gold Forever32
07-16-2012, 02:05 PM
We can use Rainey to take the top of the defense?........Yea since Chris Rainey has proven so much at the NFL level?.....lol I like the Rainey pick but man lets watch statements like this until Rainey actually takes an NFL snap.....

K Train
07-16-2012, 02:48 PM
Wallace bumped his head! I just read something that said Wallace said he has more yards than Rice& Moss i there first 3 seasons .Wallace isn't even the best reciever on the team that would be AB Wallace is fast but his hands are a little suspectand he body catches too much.We can use Rainey to take the top off the defense . good bye mike!

wallace is the best WR on the team, and wallace does have more yards than a lot of great receivers did their first 3 years, its not easy to contribute as a WR early on let alone become a #1....the best is yet to come with wallace, its laughable you dont see that just because of a POTENTIAL holdout

ChucktownSteeler
07-16-2012, 02:57 PM
He has no choice but to sign or return. One way or another he owes the Steelers a year and maybe two if they franchise him.

The F.O. Has him played like a cheap banjo and his only recourse is to sign or retire.

I say he signs the tender (worth approximately 2.7 million) and the Steelers tag him the following year (worth approximately 9 million) and he averages about 5.85 million for the next 2 seasons. Game, set, match, F.O.

That gives both sides enough time to work on a long term agreement ala Lamaar Woodley.

C-town

LatrobePA
07-16-2012, 03:00 PM
I agree with you...

He has no choice but to sign or return. One way or another he owes the Steelers a year and maybe two if they franchise him.

The F.O. Has him played like a cheap banjo and his only recourse is to sign or retire.

I say he signs the tender (worth approximately 2.7 million) and the Steelers tag him the following year (worth approximately 9 million) and he averages about 5.85 million for the next 2 seasons. Game, set, match, F.O.

That gives both sides enough time to work on a long term agreement ala Lamaar Woodley.

C-town

Real Deal Steel
07-16-2012, 03:07 PM
Say away Mike. You can make the front office do what you want. You show 'em. Just stay away. :rolleyes:

steelcitysfinestXL
07-16-2012, 03:15 PM

You're Joking, right?

steelcitysfinestXL
07-16-2012, 03:22 PM

C-town

Thats the EXACT reason why IMO he hasnt signed! Look around the league: $5.85 mil/year is $1 mil less than Stevie Johnson money with ZERO job security. In comparison Vincent Jackson signed this season for 5 years $55 mil. In Jacksons BEST three seasons he totalled ~3300 yards 25 TDs - Wallaces FIRST 3 years totalled 3200 yards 24 tds! He deserves V-Jac money! He deserves more. If the Steelers arent willing to atleast give him $10-11 mil/year, then I cant blame the guy for holding out! I'd hate to see it happen, i dont think it will happen!

Zachintosh66
07-16-2012, 06:20 PM
I dont care as long as he makes it to the start of camp and they dont break the bank where we cant fit AB in next year. E. Sanders might be the guy left out in the long run but Id rather have Wallace than Sanders.

We all know we have the offensive potential to be very, very explosive. I just hope we can get all the pieces into place at the start of camp so were all on the same page from the get go. It will take time for us to jell as a unit... with everyone in place hopefully the learning curve is sooner rather than later...

HUNT4SEVEN
07-16-2012, 07:18 PM
Yawn... I'm over the Wallace thing. Sign him or don't... Blah Blah Blah.

He'll sign at some point when he realizes he can't bully them into more money than they are comfortable giving him.

Well said, i agree,i say trade him for Percy Harvin and keep it movin....

steelcitysfinestXL
07-16-2012, 07:39 PM
Well said, i agree,i say trade him for Percy Harvin and keep it movin....

:nono: Thats about the worst idea I've heard all offseason!!! I have a hard time understanding why people are so upset with Wallace. If we're talking hold out come late August then by all means, take your shots! But its a lil early and hes too god to write him off when he hasn't done anything wrong!

ChucktownSteeler
07-16-2012, 09:42 PM
Thats the EXACT reason why IMO he hasnt signed! Look around the league: $5.85 mil/year is $1 mil less than Stevie Johnson money with ZERO job security. In comparison Vincent Jackson signed this season for 5 years $55 mil. In Jacksons BEST three seasons he totalled ~3300 yards 25 TDs - Wallaces FIRST 3 years totalled 3200 yards 24 tds! He deserves V-Jac money! He deserves more. If the Steelers arent willing to atleast give him $10-11 mil/year, then I cant blame the guy for holding out! I'd hate to see it happen, i dont think it will happen!

But he has no bargining power and the F.O. Knows it. He has to sign or retire, doesn't matter who got what.

Black@Gold Forever32
07-16-2012, 10:13 PM
Retire?............lol Noway Mike Wallace is going to retire.......lol I just want Mike Wallace to sign so all the nonsense can stop.....Some of our fans really need to remove the sand out of their vaginas........

connecticutsteel
07-17-2012, 12:10 AM
wallace is the best WR on the team, and wallace does have more yards than a lot of great receivers did their first 3 years, its not easy to contribute as a WR early on let alone become a #1....the best is yet to come with wallace, its laughable you dont see that just because of a POTENTIAL holdout

My opinion has nothing to do with him maybe holding out my opinion is that Brown is a better receiver Wallace drops a lot of balls.look I'm not saying he not good but he isn't Larry fitzgerald or Megatron . As far as Rainey goes he can do real damage on offense this year if Haley uses him right.I hope A. Browns success doesn't go to his head like it went to Wallace's head.

Danger DANJ
07-17-2012, 03:00 AM
My opinion has nothing to do with him maybe holding out my opinion is that Brown is a better receiver Wallace drops a lot of balls.look I'm not saying he not good but he isn't Larry fitzgerald or Megatron . As far as Rainey goes he can do real damage on offense this year if Haley uses him right.I hope A. Browns success doesn't go to his head like it went to Wallace's head.

I don't understand why everyone thinks Wallace drops a lot of balls. He had 6 drops last season. Brown had 7.

according to this link:
http://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2012/01/17/drop-rate-2011-which-receivers-are-dropping-the-ball/
Wallace only dropped 4 catchable balls. Only 12 receivers had better drop rates and only 9 had 50+ catchable balls thrown their way.

Here are some more stats I like:
http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/wr
Wallace is 5th on the list and Brown is 20th.

I love Brown but I can't understand the perception that he is better than Wallace. I also can't understand the hatred towards him for trying to get paid and make sure he doesn't get hurt before hand. It's smart business...plain and simple. If he doesn't show for training camp one way or another, then I will start to wonder what he is doing. Compared to other contracts, he deserves 8-9 million a year. Also, he is not under contract so he is not officially a holdout.

Big T
07-17-2012, 03:34 AM
I don't understand why everyone thinks Wallace drops a lot of balls. He had 6 drops last season. Brown had 7.

according to this link:
http://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2012/01/17/drop-rate-2011-which-receivers-are-dropping-the-ball/
Wallace only dropped 4 catchable balls. Only 12 receivers had better drop rates and only 9 had 50+ catchable balls thrown their way.

I love Brown but I can't understand the perception that he is better than Wallace. I also can't understand the hatred towards him for trying to get paid and make sure he doesn't get hurt before hand. It's smart business...plain and simple. If he doesn't show for training camp one way or another, then I will start to wonder what he is doing. Compared to other contracts, he deserves 8-9 million a year. Also, he is not under contract so he is not officially a holdout.

Agreed. Plus, training camp hasnt even started. He's not holding out from anything at the moment lol. People seriously need to chill the hell out.

steelcitysfinestXL
07-17-2012, 07:41 AM

according to this link:

EXACTLY!!! I've made that same argument here time and time again!!!

cmerrifield
07-17-2012, 08:02 AM
Agreed. Plus, training camp hasnt even started. He's not holding out from anything at the moment lol. People seriously need to chill the hell out.

But its the only thing we have to talk about. They fixed the Oline in the draft, got rid of the senior citizens, what else are we supposed to stress/complain about? :lol:

steelcitysfinestXL
07-17-2012, 08:10 AM
But he has no bargining power and the F.O. Knows it. He has to sign or retire, doesn't matter who got what.

You all need to understand, this isnt a hold out, not yet! He is NOT UNDER CONTRACT! His only obligation is to show up week 10 to aquire the time needed to enter Free Agency next year as an unrestricted FA. So the whole retirement thing is just silly! I would venture to guess if he decided to sit out until week 10, this team would prob just bench him when he returned. I just dont see it happening, I think the FO will offer him a backloaded deal worth more than most of us think and hope he bites. The problem there is in 7-8 months he could get the same money upfront maybe even guaranteed from someone else.

steelcitysfinestXL
07-17-2012, 08:11 AM
But its the only thing we have to talk about. They fixed the Oline in the draft, got rid of the senior citizens, what else are we supposed to stress/complain about? :lol:

the kicking game!?!?

JensK
07-17-2012, 08:17 AM
I have never disregarded Wallace as being a bad WR, nor claimed that he drops a whole lot of balls or anything like that. I will, however, say that the decline of production the second part of the season last year is worrisome. He simply became too much of a threat for the opposing teams, so they had a safety cover him and suddenly he is a no-show. Now you can blame a whole lot of different aspects to this, but neither of them will hold ANY kind of leverage when they are negotiating.

You can cut Wallace all the slack you want, but the facts remain the same: The man has very little leverage when it comes to the negotiations. He is simply not doing anything to help himself right now. He is not getting any reps, so he will be behind with the new playbook. He might not be in as great a shape as the other players since he has not been on the facility -. we see this quite often... Players believe they can stay in football shape on their own, they hold out and pull a hammy or the like. He also knows that Steelers have very little room to work with this year and most likely next year as well. Steelers knows this as well. We also know from previous examples that it is very unlikely that Steelers is going to make a 3rd year WR with 1.5 years worth of really solid production, the highest paid player on the roster. And for all we know, that is the kind of money he has asked for.

Now, I do believe that he should be resigned. He is clearly worth more than 2.5mil. He is just not doing himself a favor by holding out. The only reasonable argument you could make is because he is afraid of injuries. That is a legit concern obviously, however I still believe that there are so many examples of players getting hurt off the field anyway. As I mentioned, the longer he decides to hold out, the bigger are the risk of injuring himself when he actually returns.

steelcitysfinestXL
07-17-2012, 08:35 AM
I have never disregarded Wallace as being a bad WR, nor claimed that he drops a whole lot of balls or anything like that. I will, however, say that the decline of production the second part of the season last year is worrisome. He simply became too much of a threat for the opposing teams, so they had a safety cover him and suddenly he is a no-show. Now you can blame a whole lot of different aspects to this, but neither of them will hold ANY kind of leverage when they are negotiating.

You can cut Wallace all the slack you want, but the facts remain the same: The man has very little leverage when it comes to the negotiations. He is simply not doing anything to help himself right now. He is not getting any reps, so he will be behind with the new playbook. He might not be in as great a shape as the other players since he has not been on the facility -. we see this quite often... Players believe they can stay in football shape on their own, they hold out and pull a hammy or the like. He also knows that Steelers have very little room to work with this year and most likely next year as well. Steelers knows this as well. We also know from previous examples that it is very unlikely that Steelers is going to make a 3rd year WR with 1.5 years worth of really solid production, the highest paid player on the roster. And for all we know, that is the kind of money he has asked for.

Now, I do believe that he should be resigned. He is clearly worth more than 2.5mil. He is just not doing himself a favor by holding out. The only reasonable argument you could make is because he is afraid of injuries. That is a legit concern obviously, however I still believe that there are so many examples of players getting hurt off the field anyway. As I mentioned, the longer he decides to hold out, the bigger are the risk of injuring himself when he actually returns.

So what your saying is:

-He has the same chance of injuring himself working out on his own, so he should sign his tender
-He knows the Steelers are up against the cap and cant afford to pay him, so he should sign his tender
-He finished the season 11th in yards, but because his "second half slump" he only scored as many td's as Brown did all season, he should sign his tender.

Im not trying to knock you or anybody here's opinion, but this is all kinda crazy to me!

K Train
07-17-2012, 09:22 AM

according to this link:

i love rational input, its great and refreshing

steelcitysfinestXL
07-17-2012, 09:27 AM
i love rational input, its great and refreshing

It's a rarity around here!

connecticutsteel
07-17-2012, 11:21 AM
EVERYONE USES words like arguement i'm just telling you what my opinion is If the stats say wallace doesn't drop many than I stand corrected but it seems maybe he drops the big ones maybe that 's why some feel like he drops more than he does cause he dropped that huge pass in the denver game i don't know i still like Brown better .I'M sorry i have an opinion different than some but then again there are only 4 or 5 people who know what they are talking about right lol

JensK
07-17-2012, 11:58 AM
So what your saying is:

-He has the same chance of injuring himself working out on his own, so he should sign his tender
-He knows the Steelers are up against the cap and cant afford to pay him, so he should sign his tender
-He finished the season 11th in yards, but because his "second half slump" he only scored as many td's as Brown did all season, he should sign his tender.

Im not trying to knock you or anybody here's opinion, but this is all kinda crazy to me!

Actually I don't mention anywhere that he should sign his tender. I even say that I think he is worth more than what the tender would give him. By quite a bit as well. What I am not saying is that a holdout, even if he semantically speaking is not holding out yet, is not getting him anywhere right now, as the situation is what it is and there is not much he can do to change it due to circumstances he has no control over right now.

I'm not saying that Wallace should be traded or anything along those lines. The only thing I'm saying is that I don't agree with the attempts to justify him not showing up and playing. If anything, showing some interest in the team should encourage the team to work even harder on a new deal, although that might not be the actual case.

Also, I don't think I ever mentioned Brown, nor do I understand the comparison between them. Wallace is comparing himself with the likes of Fitzgerald, and I cannot find any proof that he is on the same level as him, thus do I not think he should be paid that kind of money.

Those who don't agree with Wallace holding out is generally met with accusations of being "crazy" and whatnot. Some of the arguments certainly are crazy. It is not rational to trade him. It is not rational to say that he is a worse WR than Brown. It is not rational to say that he should retire. Neither of those things make any sense. It is, however, not really rational to totally disregard the fact that Wallace has had 3 years in the league, certainly solid but nothing more. Yes, he has piled up a lot of yards, but you cannot ignore that right now he is a one-trick pony. I hate the notion, but he is not at all a good route-runner, even though it has improved. He is not a physical guy, so he will never be the kind of player who will go up against 2-3 defenders and come down with it. He is a decent blocker, but nothing more. He is ridiculously fast and you cannot teach that, but teams started to gameplan against it and his production went down. you can blame it on whatever you like, but the production went down nevertheless. Now, we have NO idea what actually caused it, but it is a knock against him and you can be assured that its a knock that teams will use against him. You want Fitzgerald money? Alright, show us you can play like him. He has not to this date. Does he have to? Arguably not - he can probably easily live of being fast, but he has to prove that he can overcome double-coverage on a more consistent basis.

Again, I don't think he is a bad WR by any means. But I don't see him as the same kind of talent as a handful of the WRs in the league and I don't think he should be paid as such.

edit: Yes, I had to write a novel about it, sorry.

edit edit: I should say that I do realize that he actually never said he wanted Fitzgerald money. Its a rumor and nothing more. however, for the sake of argument lets play around with that. After all, neither of the "Wallace" camps know anything about the numbers and we're not really qualified to say anything about it.

steelcitysfinestXL
07-17-2012, 12:19 PM
I did lump some other posts in with my reply to your posts. Sorry if i mis-quoted you on saying "he should sign his tendor". I assumed that was your solution. My comparrison to Brown was more geared towards showing those who say "Brown is better". You said: "his decline in the second half of the year is worriesome" In that period of time he had as many TD's as Antonio Brown did all season.

edit edit: I should say that I do realize that he actually never said he wanted Fitzgerald money. Its a rumor and nothing more. however, for the sake of argument lets play around with that. After all, neither of the "Wallace" camps know anything about the numbers and we're not really qualified to say anything about it.

^This^ I agree with. People took what "someone in the 49er org." said about Wallaces demands and ran with it. By the numbers Wallace matches up or beats the stats of Fitz/Megatron/Andre Johnson when comparing first 3 seasons. Its been stated here many times. I will agree that those players are more important to their respective teams, but thats mearly because talent wise they arent as competetive as the Steelers year in and year out. So even if he isnt on the level of those 3 and maybe the current run by Wes Welker, then he is the next best thing. That puts him in the neighborhood of $8-12 mil/year. I think a Vincent Jackson type deal of 5 years/$55 mil (would have to be backloaded) is reasonable to stay in Pittsburgh.

Black@Gold Forever32
07-17-2012, 01:25 PM
Mike Wallace please just sign so the madness can end.....lol People freaking out that Wallace missed OTA's and maybe training camp is silly........If its November and Wallace is holding out then people can bitch....lol This whole Wallace not signing his tender is so over blown.........

Danger DANJ
07-17-2012, 01:53 PM
Who knows if Wallace or his agent ever said they want Fitzgerald money. Maybe they told the 49ers that and maybe it was for real...or maybe they just didn't want the 49ers to go after him. I also read a rumor that what they meant by Fitzgerald money was what Fitzgerald got in his 1st extension deal which was 4 years/$40 Mil. I would have to think that both Wallace and his agent know damn well they won't get $15 Mil. a year.

Like I said, I'm not worried about what Wallace is doing unless he doesn't show up for training camp. All the stuff he has missed so far isn't that big of a deal even with the new offense. Missing training camp or a big part of it would absolutely set him back and could cause unnecessary injuries.

As for Wallace's drop in production during the second half of the season...I'm not quick to say it was a lack of effort or talent by Wallace to beat double coverage. I saw quite a bit of double coverage early in the season as well. But, what I feel like I was seeing was Ben not being able to throw a good deep ball in the second half of the season, especially once he got injured. It seemed like there were a lot of underthrown balls. Not only that, but you take what the defense gives you. If they are going to leave Brown open or 1-on-1, then that's where you throw the ball.

I think a Vincent Jackson type deal of 5 years/$55 mil (would have to be backloaded) is reasonable to stay in Pittsburgh.

I agree. I can't see Wallace agreeing to anything less than 5 years/$40 Mil.

steelcitysfinestXL
07-17-2012, 02:34 PM
Who knows if Wallace or his agent ever said they want Fitzgerald money. Maybe they told the 49ers that and maybe it was for real...or maybe they just didn't want the 49ers to go after him. I also read a rumor that what they meant by Fitzgerald money was what Fitzgerald got in his 1st extension deal which was 4 years/$40 Mil. I would have to think that both Wallace and his agent know damn well they won't get $15 Mil. a year.

Like I said, I'm not worried about what Wallace is doing unless he doesn't show up for training camp. All the stuff he has missed so far isn't that big of a deal even with the new offense. Missing training camp or a big part of it would absolutely set him back and could cause unnecessary injuries.

As for Wallace's drop in production during the second half of the season...I'm not quick to say it was a lack of effort or talent by Wallace to beat double coverage. I saw quite a bit of double coverage early in the season as well. But, what I feel like I was seeing was Ben not being able to throw a good deep ball in the second half of the season, especially once he got injured. It seemed like there were a lot of underthrown balls. Not only that, but you take what the defense gives you. If they are going to leave Brown open or 1-on-1, then that's where you throw the ball.

Great Post! The part in bold is a very good point. Wallace made some of his biggest plays against safety help over the top. The long ball in ARI comes to mind. From my memory, that was about the only one where a team tried to play him 1-on-1 and he went for 80 yards!

connecticutsteel
07-17-2012, 03:35 PM
Let's look at the numbers i put my foot in my mouth on this one .
here are the stats for the first 3 years of some of the league's elite compared to Wallace
RICE 3575 YDS 40 TD'S
MOSS 4163 YDS 43 TD'S
MEGATRON 3071 YDS 21 TD'S
FITZGERALD 3135 YDS 24 TD'S
A.JOHNSON 2806 YDS 12 TD'S
BURESS 2606 YDS 13 TD'S (I DON'T CONSIDER PLAX ELITE I ADDED HIM FOR THE HECK OF IT)
Wallace 3206 yds 24 TD'S
Mike Wallace outperformed everyone on this list except rice and moss

K Train
07-17-2012, 04:01 PM
holmes had 2587 and 15 TDs in 3 years and holmes was a stud for us, but wallace is just average and drops everything lol

LatrobePA
07-17-2012, 04:09 PM
Wallace will sign a deal by the weekend I'm betting!

connecticutsteel
07-17-2012, 11:39 PM
holmes had 2587 and 15 TDs in 3 years and holmes was a stud for us, but wallace is just average and drops everything lol
TOUCHE KTrain i got a little winey at least i can admit it

steelcitysfinestXL
07-18-2012, 07:50 AM

Exactly!!!

TOUCHE KTrain i got a little winey at least i can admit it

:yellowthumb:

TarlsQtr
07-18-2012, 08:33 AM
He is ridiculously fast and you cannot teach that, but teams started to gameplan against it and his production went down.

And Brown's production went up.

The notion that Brown is better than Wallace confuses me. Although he may someday prove to be better than Wallace, Brown's success can be directly correlated to other teams gameplanning against Wallace. You can gameplan around one but not two good receivers. If you take Wallace out of the equation, Brown's production will drop unless you replace Wallace with someone equally scary to opposing DCs. Sanders is not that guy yet although I can see him becoming him someday.

K Train
07-18-2012, 09:31 AM
And Brown's production went up.

The notion that Brown is better than Wallace confuses me. Although he may someday prove to be better than Wallace, Brown's success can be directly correlated to other teams gameplanning against Wallace. You can gameplan around one but not two good receivers. If you take Wallace out of the equation, Brown's production will drop unless you replace Wallace with someone equally scary to opposing DCs. Sanders is not that guy yet although I can see him becoming him someday.

its just taking what the defense gives you. Brown came up big for us but his success is a direct correlation to wallace being across from him, especially since brown is a horrid route runner. He legit makes a living off being welker-like in catching underneath passes and running very unusual routes to get open when a play breaks down. its going to be hard to evaluate him as an outside WR until he plays under haley...he could be a stud again but he could be out classed by sanders too who is a brilliant route runner.

ive loved brown more than sanders since day one, but sanders could be poised for a breakout year and it wouldnt surprise me to see brown not match last years numbers

TarlsQtr
07-18-2012, 01:56 PM
its just taking what the defense gives you. Brown came up big for us but his success is a direct correlation to wallace being across from him, especially since brown is a horrid route runner. He legit makes a living off being welker-like in catching underneath passes and running very unusual routes to get open when a play breaks down. its going to be hard to evaluate him as an outside WR until he plays under haley...he could be a stud again but he could be out classed by sanders too who is a brilliant route runner.

ive loved brown more than sanders since day one, but sanders could be poised for a breakout year and it wouldnt surprise me to see brown not match last years numbers

I agree 100%.

Black@Gold Forever32
07-18-2012, 02:21 PM
I really don't care who is better or who I prefer.....I think we can agree that Wallace, Brown, Sanders gives the Steelers young talented WR's that offer different things ability wise.......All three should be kept together as long as possible......

K Train
07-18-2012, 02:28 PM

TarlsQtr
07-18-2012, 03:02 PM
I really don't care who is better or who I prefer.....I think we can agree that Wallace, Brown, Sanders gives the Steelers young talented WR's that offer different things ability wise.......All three should be kept together as long as possible......

Agreed but is it realistic? Sanders and Brown become RFA's after this season (I believe). Wallace will be an UFA after this season if no long-term deal is agreed upon. That will be A LOT of money spent on the WR position, more than the Steelers traditionally spend. The team has some important decisions to make and I doubt that all three will be with us after this season, maybe next.

K Train
07-18-2012, 03:19 PM
Agreed but is it realistic? Sanders and Brown become RFA's after this season (I believe). Wallace will be an UFA after this season if no long-term deal is agreed upon. That will be A LOT of money spent on the WR position, more than the Steelers traditionally spend. The team has some important decisions to make and I doubt that all three will be with us after this season, maybe next.
since when are the steelers cheap? they may not spend big in FA but they take care of their own and (typically) let go guys when they get too old. The cap goes up next year, our 2 and 3 WRs arent going to be hard to bring back even if they both demand #2 money. Its not really ALOT of money to tie in in the WR position when its literally all the money you have tied up in it lol

TarlsQtr
07-18-2012, 05:39 PM
since when are the steelers cheap? they may not spend big in FA but they take care of their own and (typically) let go guys when they get too old. The cap goes up next year, our 2 and 3 WRs arent going to be hard to bring back even if they both demand #2 money. Its not really ALOT of money to tie in in the WR position when its literally all the money you have tied up in it lol

They take care of their own? The list of quality wide receivers (not to mention other positions) who have left the Steelers in the salary cap era is long. If they sign Wallace long-term and Brown continues to perform into his UFA year, it would be doubtful they can keep him. If that happens and Sanders improves as well, he would definitely be gone. The Steelers will NEVER have three big contract WRs. In 2014, I predict Wallace/Sanders or Brown/Sanders as our 1-2 with another budget signing (like a Cotchery) or young WR as a 3.

I will almost guarantee another 3rd round WR "project" drafted next year.

TarlsQtr
07-18-2012, 05:44 PM
...our 2 and 3 WRs arent going to be hard to bring back even if they both demand #2 money.

Brown had 1100 yards last year. Let's say he gets 1400 and 10 TDs the next two years going into his UFA off season. Do you really expect him to settle for #2 money?

K Train
07-18-2012, 05:46 PM
They take care of their own? The list of quality wide receivers (not to mention other positions) who have left the Steelers in the salary cap era is long. If they sign Wallace long-term and Brown continues to perform into his UFA year, it would be doubtful they can keep him. If that happens and Sanders improves as well, he would definitely be gone. The Steelers will NEVER have three big contract WRs. In 2014, I predict Wallace/Sanders or Brown/Sanders as our 1-2 with another budget signing (like a Cotchery) or young WR as a 3.

I will almost guarantee another 3rd round WR "project" drafted next year.
if sanders improves he still isnt the type of WR to demand top dollar, he will be an easy resign....im saying so easy we wont even know negotiations were going on. and yes the steelers have dished out big contracts to their own players rather than spending in FA...there hasnt been a big WR contract aside from wards pay day in 05 but the need hasnt been ther

they would have paid holmes and burress if they were the people wallace/brown/sanders are but they were dipshits. the three we have now are excellent team mates and good people and they will reward that. the reasom antwaan randle el left is because they wouldnt pay him what others were willing to, but thats really because he was pretty awful at everything except a PR and that was a smart move....these guys are talented enough to bring back, and if they lose one...meh it happens

K Train
07-18-2012, 05:47 PM
Brown had 1100 yards last year. Let's say he gets 1400 and 10 TDs the next two years going into his UFA off season. Do you really expect him to settle for #2 money?

no, but i think those are out of this world expectations for our #2/#3 WR to put up and if he is im sure wallace and sanders and doing well too to warrant leaving him open so much, making me a happy person that we are scoring that many points lol

TarlsQtr
07-18-2012, 06:01 PM
the reasom antwaan randle el left is because they wouldnt pay him what others were willing to,

The money quote is above.

If Brown even duplicates his numbers from last year, SOMEONE will be willing to pay him more than the Steelers can. It only takes one. That said, I absolutely hope I am wrong. I just do not see the team spending that kind of money for 2 or 3 WRs. They have never done it before and I doubt they will now.

And remember, the better the Steelers offense is this year, the better chance that 1 or 2 of the WRs are gone because it means they are getting more catches, yards, TDs, etc. It will inflate their value even more to a team that needs help at the position.

K Train
07-18-2012, 06:08 PM
but they wouldnt pay him a big deal because he wasnt worth it....ARE was afraid of the endzone, a 35 catch season was a good one for him. he was paid based on a throw in the superbowl and the steelers saw him for what he was....painfully average. brown is not painfully average, he would likely get a deal from the steelers in the same situation

Zachintosh66
07-18-2012, 08:31 PM
ARE was barely a #3 WR on his best day in his prime...

Cant compare any current WR with him.

ChucktownSteeler
07-18-2012, 09:21 PM
Retire?............lol Noway Mike Wallace is going to retire.......lol I just want Mike Wallace to sign so all the nonsense can stop.....Some of our fans really need to remove the sand out of their vaginas........

I am giving you his choices not saying what he will do. That language really needed here?

steelcitysfinestXL
07-19-2012, 06:14 AM
I am giving you his choices not saying what he will do. That language really needed here?

We'll if those were choices the you forgot hold out until week 10! And, I was unaware the use of the technical term for a female body part warranted a "talking to"! LMFAO!!!

ChucktownSteeler
07-19-2012, 08:41 AM
We'll if those were choices the you forgot hold out until week 10! And, I was unaware the use of the technical term for a female body part warranted a "talking to"! LMFAO!!!

Even if he waits until week 10 he still has to sign the tender,, one of the choices I outlined. He simply has no bargaining power, sign or retire Mike.

I thought the response above was not needed and did not add to the discussion.

C-town

TarlsQtr
07-19-2012, 04:10 PM
but they wouldnt pay him(Randle EL) a big deal because he wasnt worth it

And there were a lot of players that were worth it the Steelers gave up. This is not a criticism of the team, as their results speak for themselves. However, I do not see the Steelers with all three WRs in 2014 because it is not like them to put so much money into the WR position. If both Wallace and Brown blossom into stars, one of them and Sanders (unless he shows potential number 1 production too. Then he would go as well.) will be here.

Black@Gold Forever32
07-19-2012, 05:10 PM
Even if he waits until week 10 he still has to sign the tender,, one of the choices I outlined. He simply has no bargaining power, sign or retire Mike.

I thought the response above was not needed and did not add to the discussion.

C-town

Only reason I responded the way I did is since most of you are beating a freaking dead horse......It gets old after awhile....We know Mike Wallace is the antichrist for not signing his tender........lol People just need to calm down and let the cards play out.......

steelcitysfinestXL
07-19-2012, 05:21 PM
I do not see the Steelers with all three WRs in 2014 because it is not like them to put so much money into the WR position. If both Wallace and Brown blossom into stars, one of them and Sanders (unless he shows potential number 1 production too. Then he would go as well.) will be here.

I really dont see them losing Brown OR Sanders. Wallace isnt going to break the bank. If thats the kind of money he wants, he'll wait and hit UFA status next year because the Steelers cant afford to pay him top 5 WR money. If thats the case Brown AND Sanders get signed with ease no matter what they do on the field this year. Sanders esp. because he hasnt been healthy his whole 2 year career.

Now lets say the Steelers get a long term deal done with Wallace and all 3 guys play all season. Even if all 3 have career seasons, we're talking about signing #2 and #3 WRs. The fact that they are both RFA's means the Steelers can place tenders on them warranted by their performances. So tender Brown as a 1st rounder and Sanders at a tender higher than his original draft position (3rd round). I highly doubt anyone would give up a 1st for Brown OR a 3rd or better for Sanders. You have them for the 2013 season. Come 2014 the cap should go up and BIG money guys like Harrison, Polamalu, Hampton etc. should be gone or HIGHLY restructured. Meaning, you have more money for younger players. Or you franchise Brown!

Either way i see it like this in 2013:

Wallace- Long term deal/ lost in 2013 in FA/ Franchise tagged
Brown-Long term deal/ 1st round tender
Sanders- EASY long term deal/ Steelers let him hit FA only after being injured

Black@Gold Forever32
07-19-2012, 05:38 PM
I really dont see them losing Brown OR Sanders. Wallace isnt going to break the bank. If thats the kind of money he wants, he'll wait and hit UFA status next year because the Steelers cant afford to pay him top 5 WR money. If thats the case Brown AND Sanders get signed with ease no matter what they do on the field this year. Sanders esp. because he hasnt been healthy his whole 2 year career.

Now lets say the Steelers get a long term deal done with Wallace and all 3 guys play all season. Even if all 3 have career seasons, we're talking about signing #2 and #3 WRs. The fact that they are both RFA's means the Steelers can place tenders on them warranted by their performances. So tender Brown as a 1st rounder and Sanders at a tender higher than his original draft position (3rd round). I highly doubt anyone would give up a 1st for Brown OR a 3rd or better for Sanders. You have them for the 2013 season. Come 2014 the cap should go up and BIG money guys like Harrison, Polamalu, Hampton etc. should be gone or HIGHLY restructured. Meaning, you have more money for younger players. Or you franchise Brown!

This...nice post....I agree I think its possible for the Steelers to keep all three.......You touched on the reasons so I don't have to add to anything.....

ChucktownSteeler
07-19-2012, 06:52 PM
Only reason I responded the way I did is since most of you are beating a freaking dead horse......It gets old after awhile....We know Mike Wallace is the antichrist for not signing his tender........lol People just need to calm down and let the cards play out.......

He is not the anti-christ, he is a dumb arse. He has to sign the tender. What is he holding out for? Even before he gets a long term agreement the tender must be signed first. Wise up Mike, you are making yourself look stupid. He can hold out for 15 years, guess what, he still owes the Steelers a year service (2 if they franchise him).

This guy is either dumber than a box of rocks or getting terrible advice (or both). Sign the tender and maybe, just maybe the Steelers will negotiate with you. History tells me they are not going to do a thing until he signs the tender.

He can't win by holding out (see Mike Merriweather, #57).

Real Deal Steel
07-19-2012, 07:03 PM
There are reports today that the Steelers have made serious headway in signing Wallace;couple that with the release of J. Scott (freeing up an additonal 2 mil) and we should see something getting done real soon with Wallace.

Big T
07-19-2012, 07:08 PM
He is not the anti-christ, he is a dumb arse. He has to sign the tender. What is he holding out for? Even before he gets a long term agreement the tender must be signed first. Wise up Mike, you are making yourself look stupid. He can hold out for 15 years, guess what, he still owes the Steelers a year service (2 if they franchise him).

This guy is either dumber than a box of rocks or getting terrible advice (or both). Sign the tender and maybe, just maybe the Steelers will negotiate with you. History tells me they are not going to do a thing until he signs the tender.

He can't win by holding out (see Mike Merriweather, #57).

What exactly is he holding out of at the moment?

LatrobePA
07-19-2012, 08:22 PM
By the weekend as I predicted:

http://m.nfl.com/news/09000d5d82aacda6/report-wallace-steelers-gain-momentum-toward-new-deal/

86WARD
07-19-2012, 08:35 PM
Thank You Jonathon Scott Money...lol...

Black@Gold Forever32
07-19-2012, 09:00 PM
What exactly is he holding out of at the moment?

exactly

BlitzburghRockCity
07-19-2012, 10:06 PM
On the release of Scott today.. That puts Steelers almost $6M under the cap, or more than enough to extend Wallace and sign DeCastro. - Jim Wexell Twitter

Kaboly Twitter: Only way Mike Wallace signs is if he's willing to come off crazy money he wants. If he does, he signs.If he doesn't, he leaves.#SimpleAsThat

from Jason Lacanfora at CBS Sports:

The time to sign players tendered a franchise tag has come and gone, but the pink elephant that is Mike Wallace still remains in the Steelers living room, with Wallace potentially holding out of camp, unhappy with his $2.72 million tender.

CBSSports.com's NFL Insider Jason La Canfora reports Thursday that the parties are in "close contact" and that the two sides continue to make progress on a new deal.

"The sides have remained in close contact and continued their dialogue and are expected to maintain a steady pace with the start of training camp looming," La Canfora reports. "There has been some movement and though no deal is imminent and work remains to be done, the situation has certainly improved since early this offseason. Both sides are motivated to complete a long-term contract."

La Canfora also pointed out that the Steelers aren't shy about locking up their young talent. CBSSports.com's Ryan Wilson broke this down as well earlier, pointing out that LaMarr Woodley, Lawrence Timmons and Troy Polamalu all got long-term deals after training camp began.

So there's certainly reason for optimism if you're a Steelers fan that the team will be able to get Wallace locked down before the season begins.

TarlsQtr
07-20-2012, 10:59 AM

I agree with most of what you said but it may be based on a couple of faulty assumptions.

1) I was referring to 2014 and beyond. We likely have Brown and Sanders through 2013 as RFAs. They do not become UFAs until after 2013.

IF they sign Wallace long-term, I do not see the team spending #1 type money on Brown or Sanders. I could be wrong, but we have never done it before. If Brown continues to improve, I believe he is gone when he becomes a UFA.

2) You assume Harrison, Polamalu, et al. are gone after 2013. Perhaps but you have to replace them. You will also have looming large contracts like Pouncey and then Decastro a couple of years later, all of which has to be planned for. Do the Steelers value defense and OL more than having three speedy WRs? Their history seems to indicate that, although they are becoming more of a passing team than they ever have been. It may force the team to spend more on WRs than they have in the past.

3) Sanders injuries will be irrelevant after 2013 if he has 2 strong and healthy seasons. If Wallace and Brown stay, then some team will pay for "potential" and offer him at least # 2 type money, which the Steelers may not pay.

Again, I pray I am wrong. Watching those three for a decade would be a lot of fun.

tburg68
07-20-2012, 07:51 PM
IF they sign Wallace long-term, I do not see the team spending #1 type money on Brown or Sanders. I could be wrong, but we have never done it before. If Brown continues to improve, I believe he is gone when he becomes a UFA.

I don't think the Steelers will have to pay #1 money for Brown or Sanders, neither is a #1 receiver, Wallace is. People can hate on Wallace all they want, but he is legit, and the kind of down field target that most teams don't come close to having. There is a lot of open spaces on the field because defenses have to account for Wallace on the fly.

Brown and Sanders production is better with Wallace on the field. If some team wants to pay big money to either, they may find themselves disappointed ala ARE.

Black@Gold Forever32
07-20-2012, 09:03 PM
I don't think the Steelers will have to pay #1 money for Brown or Sanders, neither is a #1 receiver, Wallace is. People can hate on Wallace all they want, but he is legit, and the kind of down field target that most teams don't come close to having. There is a lot of open spaces on the field because defenses have to account for Wallace on the fly.

Brown and Sanders production is better with Wallace on the field. If some team wants to pay big money to either, they may find themselves disappointed ala ARE.

Well said about Wallace....I applaud you sir......

Big T
07-20-2012, 09:43 PM

Thank you. I honestly have no idea why this is so hard for people to understand. Without Wallace, Antonio doesn't have half the year he had last year. I love what Antonio and Emmanuel bring to this team, but they need Wallace on the field to be as productive as they've been.

Real Deal Steel
07-21-2012, 03:48 AM
I kinda disagree with you. Because they said the same thing about Wes Welker and Randy Moss. They kept saying Moss was the reason for Welker's productivity. And Welker is just as much a beast today as he ever was with Moss.

TarlsQtr
07-21-2012, 09:06 AM

I agree with everything you said except possibly the first sentence. I too have thought that the criticism of Wallace was incorrect and that Brown is a beneficiary of Wallace's speed and ability over the top.

Any talk of Sanders receiving number 1 money is absurd at this point. He has been off more than on the field. You are correct that he is not a number 1 receiver, although he does have great potential. If he stays healthy, he could be very good.

And although I agree that Brown is the direct beneficiary of Wallace's production, he is taking great advantage of it. I believe that he shows enough potential to be a number 1 that someone will pay him more than the Steelers will want to in 2014. There are a lot of teams that grossly overpay and it only takes 1. If a team overvalues him, the Steelers will not overpay.

ChucktownSteeler
07-21-2012, 09:51 AM
Thank you. I honestly have no idea why this is so hard for people to understand. Without Wallace, Antonio doesn't have half the year he had last year. I love what Antonio and Emmanuel bring to this team, but they need Wallace on the field to be as productive as they've been.

Anyone ever consider that the WRs compliment each other. Without the attention needed for Brown and Sanders (when healthy) maybe Wallace doesn't get open over the top. Not even mentioning Heath here. Hey, we got a fine bevy of a receiving corp and to only give one player credit is a little short sided, if you ask me.

The long and short of it: They compliment each other.

C-town

K Train
07-21-2012, 10:43 AM
I kinda disagree with you. Because they said the same thing about Wes Welker and Randy Moss. They kept saying Moss was the reason for Welker's productivity. And Welker is just as much a beast today as he ever was with Moss.

nonsense, absolutely wrong....sorry but welker was a nobody when moss left UNTIL gronk came in year 2 and went into pure beast mode as bradys #1 target, even though welker had a HUGE year we saw what he was without that #1 guy and it was still a #2/slot guy just less effective

Big T
07-21-2012, 11:12 AM
Anyone ever consider that the WRs compliment each other. Without the attention needed for Brown and Sanders (when healthy) maybe Wallace doesn't get open over the top. Not even mentioning Heath here. Hey, we got a fine bevy of a receiving corp and to only give one player credit is a little short sided, if you ask me.

The long and short of it: They compliment each other.

C-town

Not really. I mean sure, they compliment eachother, but Wallace had Hines Ward's half-crippled *** across from him all of 2010 and he had no problem gettin open over the top. No team was worried about giving any "extra attention" to Ward. The moral of the story is: Mike Wallace can have a beast mode season no matter who is across from him while Antonio Brown and Emmanuel Sanders, like Wes Welker, need a legitimate number 1 receiver across from them.

TarlsQtr
07-21-2012, 11:47 AM
Without the attention needed for Brown and Sanders (when healthy) maybe Wallace doesn't get open over the top.

I agree that WRs compliment each other, but Wallace was producing 1250 yards in 2010 when Brown and Sanders were not doing much at all. I think the over the top guys help the underneath guys a lot more than vice versa.

Black@Gold Forever32
07-21-2012, 03:07 PM
I love Manny Sanders and personally, I think he has the potential to be the best of three......But lets say most you get your wish and Wallace sits out most of the year and then Sanders slowed by injuries once again......That will leave just Brown and Cotchery as the top two WR's.........Sanders has to prove he can last an entire season healthy and yes Brown has to prove he can have a productive season again.....I like Brown as well but he only has one proven season on his belt were Wallace has produced in mulit-seasons and just keeps getting better......

A healthy Sanders, Brown, Cotchery is a solid WR core but with Mike Wallace the WR core is special.......

K Train
07-21-2012, 04:43 PM
i see an awful lot of torry holt in sanders, if he stays on the field he could potential put up big numbers

Black@Gold Forever32
07-21-2012, 04:55 PM
i see an awful lot of torry holt in sanders, if he stays on the field he could potential put up big numbers

I agree......He just needs to stay on the field and until he does I will have some doubts......I'm rooting for him hardcore since I have always though highly of Sanders......

Big T
07-21-2012, 06:30 PM

Hmmm... I never really considered Torry Holt until you said that. Now I see exactly what you mean. The silky routes, not blazing but very deceptive speed. I definitely agree there. The man just needs to stay healthy.

tburg68
07-21-2012, 07:31 PM
Not really. I mean sure, they compliment eachother, but Wallace had Hines Ward's half-crippled *** across from him all of 2010 and he had no problem gettin open over the top. No team was worried about giving any "extra attention" to Ward. The moral of the story is: Mike Wallace can have a beast mode season no matter who is across from him while Antonio Brown and Emmanuel Sanders, like Wes Welker, need a legitimate number 1 receiver across from them.

I agree that WRs compliment each other, but Wallace was producing 1250 yards in 2010 when Brown and Sanders were not doing much at all. I think the over the top guys help the underneath guys a lot more than vice versa.

Agreed

ChucktownSteeler
07-22-2012, 01:01 PM
I have been giving this some thought and I don't hate Mike Wallace nor do I think he is the anti-christ. I guess what bothers me most is the leaders on the team that have restructured their contracts in past off season to get the team under the cap and minimize the amount of players needing cut. I would think this was done primarily to try and keep the team together for another Super Bowl run as the window is closing (although it may never completely close as well as we draft). To me the timing is bad, as well as the near-nearsightedness of his delay in signing the tender (sooner or later, he has to sign or get on "with his life's work").

In today's age, it was just a short breath of fresh air to see the guys be willing to restructure for the greater good. (I hope we don't get "Andre Risen'd here).

Also, when you look at the stats from Mike and Antonio they are remarkably similar. Take a look:

Receiving Stats
Player No Yds vg Long TD
Mike Wallace 72 1193 16.6 95 8
Antonio Brown 69 1108 16.1 79 2

We are blessed with a great WR corp. I hope we can keep them all, not just one.

C-town

TarlsQtr
07-22-2012, 02:17 PM
I have been giving this some thought and I don't hate Mike Wallace nor do I think he is the anti-christ. I guess what bothers me most is the leaders on the team that have restructured their contracts in past off season to get the team under the cap and minimize the amount of players needing cut. I would think this was done primarily to try and keep the team together for another Super Bowl run as the window is closing (although it may never completely close as well as we draft). To me the timing is bad, as well as the near-nearsightedness of his delay in signing the tender (sooner or later, he has to sign or get on "with his life's work").

In today's age, it was just a short breath of fresh air to see the guys be willing to restructure for the greater good. (I hope we don't get "Andre Risen'd here).

Also, when you look at the stats from Mike and Antonio they are remarkably similar. Take a look:

Receiving Stats
Player No Yds vg Long TD
Mike Wallace 72 1193 16.6 95 8
Antonio Brown 69 1108 16.1 79 2

We are blessed with a great WR corp. I hope we can keep them all, not just one.

C-town

Yes, many veteran Steelers have restructured their contracts but it benefits the player as well. They get most of the money up front, like a signing bonus.

Wallace has every right to get every penny he can. He could have a career ending injury the first week of camp, next year, etc., and never get the big payday. There is nothing wrong with a guy looking to take care of himself and family for life. The Rooneys run the team like a business. No loyalty will make them keep Wallace at a high price when he is no longer worth it at the end of his career. I do not see why Wallace should give up money on the front end of his career as well.

Black@Gold Forever32
07-22-2012, 04:10 PM
Mike Wallace was a third round pick........He hasn't earned the big money yet and NFL teams cut players all the time when they feel a player isn't worth their contract anymore.......

They whole restructure argument was just laughable since those vets who did restructure already have received their big pay day.............Comparison to Andre Rison is way off....Rison was a first round pick unlike Wallace.......Plus doesn't have the off-field drama like Rison did.......

Brown and Wallace do compare in stats except for TD's.....Wallace had 8 receiving TDs while Brown only had 2........Plus Brown has to prove he can be productive again while Wallace just keeps getting better and better.......

I still don't understand why people are bent out of shape about Mike Wallace....If its November and he is missing games then feel free to bitch all you want.....lol

ChucktownSteeler
07-22-2012, 05:51 PM
Mike Wallace was a third round pick........He hasn't earned the big money yet and NFL teams cut players all the time when they feel a player isn't worth their contract anymore.......

They whole restructure argument was just laughable since those vets who did restructure already have received their big pay day.............Comparison to Andre Rison is way off....Rison was a first round pick unlike Wallace.......Plus doesn't have the off-field drama like Rison did.......

Brown and Wallace do compare in stats except for TD's.....Wallace had 8 receiving TDs while Brown only had 2........Plus Brown has to prove he can be productive again while Wallace just keeps getting better and better.......

I still don't understand why people are bent out of shape about Mike Wallace....If its November and he is missing games then feel free to bitch all you want.....lol

I explained above what bothered me in this matter. Yes, Mike was a third rounder and everyone agrees he should get a fair contract, but he is going about it the wrong way. The Steelers tend to take care of their own, they won't negotiate while a player holds out. Never have, never will. Plus he does deserve a good contract but not Fitz money. He is delusional.

Black@Gold Forever32
07-22-2012, 06:45 PM
I explained above what bothered me in this matter. Yes, Mike was a third rounder and everyone agrees he should get a fair contract, but he is going about it the wrong way. The Steelers tend to take care of their own, they won't negotiate while a player holds out. Never have, never will. Plus he does deserve a good contract but not Fitz money. He is delusional.

So you have heard Mike Wallace say himself he wants Larry Fitz type money?.......Please link us to your source....It was leaked from the 49ers organization stating that Wallace wanted Fitz type money....Again what is Wallace holding out from?......training camp hasn't started yet and so what he missed OTA's....lol OTA's are so over-rated its no even funny.....

ChucktownSteeler
07-22-2012, 08:12 PM
So you have heard Mike Wallace say himself he wants Larry Fitz type money?.......Please link us to your source....It was leaked from the 49ers organization stating that Wallace wanted Fitz type money....Again what is Wallace holding out from?......training camp hasn't started yet and so what he missed OTA's....lol OTA's are so over-rated its no even funny.....

He has publicly stated he is in no hurry to sign his tender. He can't work out on the site nor did he attend OTAs. I would say a more veteran player without a new offensive system to learn could get buy with this. Yes, Wallace was third rounder and being such that if he were a 1st rounder he would have been subject to his contract for 5 years (maybe 4). So it is a catch-22. Yes, he performed well for a third rounder, but also being a third rounder his rookie contract was only 3 years nor 4 or 5. If he was higher pick he would be tied to his contract for 2 more years.

Again, my premise is, before anything can or will happen he must sign the tender. What is he gaining by not signing, other than falling behind in learning the new system and not working out at the Steeler facilities.

The Steelers (to my knowledge) have never negotiated by a hold-out. I believe even Bill Cowher called Hines and suggested he get back into camp before a deal could get done. If they are not going to negotiate with Hines (in his prime) by holding out, it doesn't appear they are with Wallace.

Anyone think that Mike will magically sign his contract before camp?

TarlsQtr
07-22-2012, 08:20 PM
It is irrelevant even if Wallace had said he wants Fitz money or is in no hurry to sign his tender. You never start negotiating with what you really expect because the team will automatically offer far less. You start by demanding more than you expect and negotiate down to what you do expect. The same is true with the team. If they are willing to pay $4.5 million, they start the offer at $3 million and negotiate it up to what they will pay.

The entire "Fitz money" and "in no hurry to sign" garbage is nothing but kabuki theater.

TarlsQtr
07-22-2012, 08:23 PM
What is he gaining by not signing, other than falling behind in learning the new system and not working out at the Steeler facilities.

More money. You talk like the team has ALL the leverage. That is not true (although they are in a better position than Wallace). Remember, the best WR on the team holding out hurts the team as well. If the two sides are anywhere in the same ballpark, the team will likely up the offer to get him in on time.

steelcitysfinestXL
07-22-2012, 09:11 PM
More money. You talk like the team has ALL the leverage. That is not true (although they are in a better position than Wallace). Remember, the best WR on the team holding out hurts the team as well. If the two sides are anywhere in the same ballpark, the team will likely up the offer to get him in on time.

Great post!

ChucktownSteeler
07-23-2012, 07:11 AM
It is irrelevant even if Wallace had said he wants Fitz money or is in no hurry to sign his tender. You never start negotiating with what you really expect because the team will automatically offer far less. You start by demanding more than you expect and negotiate down to what you do expect. The same is true with the team. If they are willing to pay $4.5 million, they start the offer at $3 million and negotiate it up to what they will pay.

The entire "Fitz money" and "in no hurry to sign" garbage is nothing but kabuki theater.

I think the $4.5 million may be a little low, but its in the ball park. No way he deserves Fitz money, his numbers from last season are only marginally better than Brown's.

You have to take a holistic approach, if we sign Wallace for $12 - $15 million per, who do we cut? who do we not sign down the road? who can't we re-sign in a year or two?

The Steeler "way" has worked before and I believe Khan and Colbert know what they are doing and aren't going to break the bank on any one player.

C-town

TarlsQtr
07-23-2012, 08:52 AM
I think the $4.5 million may be a little low, but its in the ball park. No way he deserves Fitz money, his numbers from last season are only marginally better than Brown's.

You have to take a holistic approach, if we sign Wallace for $12 - $15 million per, who do we cut? who do we not sign down the road? who can't we re-sign in a year or two?

The Steeler "way" has worked before and I believe Khan and Colbert know what they are doing and aren't going to break the bank on any one player.

C-town

I agree with a statement of clarification that I by no means intended to imply that $4.5 million was the number I thought Wallace is worth or that the Steelers would offer. It was a random number off the top of my head chosen only to illustrate my larger point.

I especially agree with your comment about Khan and Colbert. However, that is also the reason I believe that the Steelers will not be able to keep all three wide receivers long term, post 2013. As you state, they will NOT break the bank on any one player. Unfortunately, other teams not as disciplned as the Steelers will probably be willing to break their bank on at least one of them.

Real Deal Steel
07-23-2012, 11:46 AM

Sorry..but it's not even determined that Wallace is the best wide receiver. Which really makes it as tough as it is to fork over big money. And the team does have most of the leverage (85%) and that's the way it's been set up by the new CBA. Wallace should have signed his tender a long time ago. He hasn't proven a thing by doing what he's done.

And this notion about him not missing anything is hog wash! There is a new play book to learn with new terminology. Missing OTA's when a new offense is being put in is crazy! Talking to his QB to get on the same page with him in this new Terminology is crucial. ANY extra time you can get to learn something new should always be taken.

K Train
07-23-2012, 11:47 AM
just for the record both AB and Sanders have said mike has the playbook and they work on going over the receiver stuff all the time

ChucktownSteeler
07-23-2012, 11:57 AM
Sorry..but it's not even determined that Wallace is the best wide receiver. Which really makes it as tough as it is to fork over big money. And the team does have most of the leverage (85%) and that's the way it's been set up by the new CBA. Wallace should have signed his tender a long time ago. He hasn't proven a thing by doing what he's done.

And this notion about him not missing anything is hog wash! There is a new play book to learn with new terminology. Missing OTA's when a new offense is being put in is crazy! Talking to his QB to get on the same page with him in this new Terminology is crucial. ANY extra time you can get to learn something new should always be taken.

Best post in a long time, I agree100%.

TarlsQtr
07-23-2012, 12:31 PM
Sorry..but it's not even determined that Wallace is the best wide receiver.

In what world? Wallace had 8 TDs, Brown 2. Wallace constantly drew the safety help over the top, Brown benefited by getting single coverage underneath.

Brown MAY end up surpassing Wallace but right now Wallace is their best receiver and what opposing DCs concentrate on.

As far as learning the offense, the same argument could be made that the team needs to pay Wallace to get him in here. I have no idea why some people always give ownership the benefit of the doubt and players are supposed to come in for less than they feel they are worth out of some sense of "loyalty." A loyalty that is not returned by ownership (see: Ward, Hines & Farrior, James).

Root4Stlrs
07-23-2012, 01:04 PM
just for the record both AB and Sanders have said mike has the playbook and they work on going over the receiver stuff all the time
Yes, I read something to the effect awhile ago that Mike Wallace had stopped by the facility and gotten the playbook.

Real Deal Steel
07-23-2012, 02:46 PM
Thanks Root.

Real Deal Steel
07-23-2012, 02:49 PM
In what world? Wallace had 8 TDs, Brown 2. Wallace constantly drew the safety help over the top, Brown benefited by getting single coverage underneath.

Brown MAY end up surpassing Wallace but right now Wallace is their best receiver and what opposing DCs concentrate on.

As far as learning the offense, the same argument could be made that the team needs to pay Wallace to get him in here. I have no idea why some people always give ownership the benefit of the doubt and players are supposed to come in for less than they feel they are worth out of some sense of "loyalty." A loyalty that is not returned by ownership (see: Ward, Hines & Farrior, James).

No one is "always" siding with management.

Fact:

1. You don't hold the Steeler front office hostage. It doesn't work. Has never work. Never will work. And we all know this so how can a player NOT KNOW THIS?????????

I'm all for a guy getting his money but why would Wallace go about it in a way that historically hasn't worked and only **** off management?

Wallace has not proven he's the number one wide receiver on this team. Just 3 months ago, there was a huge thread on this very website about who was the more complete WR: Wallace or Brown???? Now....all of a sudden, Wallace is a clear cut #1 WR???? Makes absolutely no sense whatsoever.

TarlsQtr
07-23-2012, 03:04 PM
No one is "always" siding with management.

Fact:

1. You don't hold the Steeler front office hostage. It doesn't work. Has never work. Never will work. And we all know this so how can a player NOT KNOW THIS?????????

I'm all for a guy getting his money but why would Wallace go about it in a way that historically hasn't worked and only **** off management?

Wallace has not proven he's the number one wide receiver on this team. Just 3 months ago, there was a huge thread on this very website about who was the more complete WR: Wallace or Brown???? Now....all of a sudden, Wallace is a clear cut #1 WR???? Makes absolutely no sense whatsoever.

Your language undercuts your own point. You say that no one is "always siding with management" but automatically blame Wallace even though he is woefully underpaid if he signs the tender. You then say he is holding the front office "hostage" even though he has not missed one day of camp yet.I can almost guarantee that you are angrier at Wallace right now than Tomlin and the front office that is being "held hostage."

And the entire "#1" conversation is ridiculous anyway. Even if you can make the case for Brown (and, IMO, you cannot), we have no idea what Wallace is asking for.

Real Deal Steel
07-23-2012, 04:33 PM
No...........Wallace is "attempting" to hold the front office hostage. But all he's doing is hurting himself. Because if he drags this on, it will eventually be behind the other wide receivers. But you knew what I meant. Stop the semantics.

And this stuff of, " We don't even know what Wallace asked for" is also hog wash. The 49ers talked to his agent. And his agent was asking for the moon (Fitzgerald money). So stop trying to make excuses for Wallace. Wallace is responsible for what his agent does. That's why he's his agent!!!

Again, there is a way of going about getting your money and Wallace has not exercised the proper course in getting his money. And Steeler management isn't fazed a bit. There is a reason they took another WR in the draft weather you want to except it or not. Finding WR;s right now for this organization is not a hard thing to do. Obviously they know how to develop them.

I don't think management is really pissed off with Wallace as of yet. But if he tries to do anything other then sign that tender in the next couple of weeks, he will see the fangs of the front office come out. And he doesn't want to see that. Ask Santonio Holmes.

steelcitysfinestXL
07-23-2012, 04:58 PM
Again, there is a way of going about getting your money and Wallace has not exercised the proper course in getting his money. And Steeler management isn't fazed a bit. There is a reason they took another WR in the draft weather you want to except it or not. Finding WR;s right now for this organization is not a hard thing to do. Obviously they know how to develop them.

I don't think management is really pissed off with Wallace as of yet. But if he tries to do anything other then sign that tender in the next couple of weeks, he will see the fangs of the front office come out. And he doesn't want to see that. Ask Santonio Holmes.

I get the feeling you're treating this situation like Mike Wallace is holding out while he is under contract. The man has no contract. So, as of March 13, 2012 Mike Wallace was without a contract. Yes, he was offered his tender at $2.7 mil and he has so far refused to sign it. So this is and has been a negotiation since that day. And the comparison to Santonio Holmes is asinine!!!

Black@Gold Forever32
07-23-2012, 05:27 PM
I get the feeling you're treating this situation like Mike Wallace is holding out while he is under contract. The man has no contract. So, as of March 13, 2012 Mike Wallace was without a contract. Yes, he was offered his tender at $2.7 mil and he has so far refused to sign it. So this is and has been a negotiation since that day. And the comparison to Santonio Holmes is asinine!!!

Wallace was also compared to Andre "Bad Moon" Rison earlier in this thread by somebody else.....Its getting crazy brother and I just don't know why people can't see or understand the Wallace situation......He isn't holding out yet....lol

ChucktownSteeler
07-23-2012, 05:37 PM
No...........Wallace is "attempting" to hold the front office hostage. But all he's doing is hurting himself. Because if he drags this on, it will eventually be behind the other wide receivers. But you knew what I meant. Stop the semantics.

And this stuff of, " We don't even know what Wallace asked for" is also hog wash. The 49ers talked to his agent. And his agent was asking for the moon (Fitzgerald money). So stop trying to make excuses for Wallace. Wallace is responsible for what his agent does. That's why he's his agent!!!

Agreed, Real Deal Steel is one smart dude. You have nailed it over and over again.

Black@Gold Forever32
07-23-2012, 05:43 PM

Proof of the 49ers talking to Wallace's agent please?........Its all hear say..........Ok so what the Steelers drafted Tony Clemons in the 7th rounder and that really doesn't have anything to do with Mike Wallace....If the Steelers were so concerned about replacing Wallace then I think they would have spent a draft sooner on a WR........Again I like Clemons but the guy has to make the team first.......Fred Gibson was a former 4th round pick and flopped so the Steelers don't hit on all their WR picks......

ChucktownSteeler
07-23-2012, 05:45 PM
Proof of the 49ers talking to Wallace's agent please?........Its all hear say..........Ok so what the Steelers drafted Tony Clemons in the 7th rounder and that really doesn't have anything to do with Mike Wallace....If the Steelers were so concerned about replacing Wallace then I think they would have spent a draft sooner on a WR........Again I like Clemons but the guy has to make the team first.......Fred Gibson was a former 4th round pick and flopped so the Steelers don't hit on all their WR picks......

It was posted on the internet, it has to be true.

Black@Gold Forever32
07-23-2012, 05:51 PM
It was posted on the internet, it has to be true.

ok...lol but that did make me laugh.........Point is we really don't know what Wallace and his demands are unless one of us on this site has access to the contract talks going on between Wallace and the Steelers......

steelcitysfinestXL
07-23-2012, 06:22 PM
Wallace was also compared to Andre "Bad Moon" Rison earlier in this thread by somebody else.....Its getting crazy brother and I just don't know why people can't see or understand the Wallace situation......He isn't holding out yet....lol

It is getting out of hand. Ive heard some of the most ridiculous statements ever this off-season, lol!

JensK
07-23-2012, 06:35 PM
I'm going to assume that you somehow managed to block out the memories of this forum when Ben was accused of rape.

steelcitysfinestXL
07-23-2012, 06:45 PM
No, while some crazy talk went around (I was a part of some of it) atleast it had SOME merit. People talk about Wallace like he got a DUI, while beating his girlfriend after leaving a chick in a night club bathroom... Smoking a joint!!!

K Train
07-23-2012, 06:46 PM
No, while some crazy talk went around (I was a part of some of it) atleast it had SOME merit. People talk about Wallace like he got a DUI, while beating his girlfriend after leaving a chick in a night club bathroom... Smoking a joint!!!well i mean he did say he could beat chad johnson in a race on twitter, THE NERVE OF HIM

steelcitysfinestXL
07-23-2012, 06:50 PM
well i mean he did say he could beat chad johnson in a race on twitter, THE NERVE OF HIM

Lol that one put me over the edge, add to that I'm a Penn State fan... I'm at my threshold for the day!!!

ChucktownSteeler
07-23-2012, 07:32 PM
We have to have something to talk about until camp.

It's all good.

Real Deal Steel
07-23-2012, 07:32 PM

It's hearsay for you because it deflates your argument. We have the rights to Wallace so the 49ers had no reason to lie. Second, the Steelers front office is supremely confident in their player assessment. Just because a guy comes in the 7th round doesn't mean that they don't think he has the talent to make the team. If that were the case, then most of our WR's wouldn't have made this team because they are not 1st round picks.

We can all name dozens of late round picks that haven't made it. But very few teams can name late round WR picks that have made it as much as the Steelers.

Wallace is not worth 12 mil. He is not Larry Fitzgerald. He is not even in Fitzgerald zip code! He is worth 5-7 mil and I'm sure he'll get that. I just hope he's happy with whatever the management deems fair. Or there will be a new chapter added to this saga. And it's a chapter that Wallace won't win.

ChucktownSteeler
07-23-2012, 07:36 PM
It's hearsay for you because it deflates your argument. We have the rights to Wallace so the 49ers had no reason to lie. Second, the Steelers front office is supremely confident in their player assessment. Just because a guy comes in the 7th round doesn't mean that they don't think he has the talent to make the team. If that were the case, then most of our WR's wouldn't have made this team because they are not 1st round picks.

We can all name dozens of late round picks that haven't made it. But very few teams can name late round WR picks that have made it as much as the Steelers.

Wallace is not worth 12 mil. He is not Larry Fitzgerald. He is not even in Fitzgerald zip code! He is worth 5-7 mil and I'm sure he'll get that. I just hope he's happy with whatever the management deems fair. Or there will be a new chapter added to this saga. And it's a chapter that Wallace won't win.

Remind what round Sweed was and what round Greg Lloyd was. Again you are spot on, uncanny!

steelcitysfinestXL
07-23-2012, 07:38 PM
We have to have something to talk about until camp.

It's all good.

Camp is only two days away.. And it's not like this is a great conversation, lol!

JensK
07-23-2012, 07:46 PM
I do not understand these threads anymore. It actually started about being a pretty decent debate and now its about who can yell higher or be more sarcastic. I mean, its perfectly fine that you think Wallace is the best WR on this team; he probably is. What gets me though is the sarcasm which is being used instead of using actual argumentation. I mean, according to some people here these threads are nothing but one big pile of something unspeakable. However, after having read all of the posts again, I'd say that only 3-4 of them really makes no sense. Most of the other posts merely point out what generally is true: Wallace holding out is most likely not helping him achieve anything what-so-ever. That does not AT ALL mean that those of us who believe this also believe that he should be traded or anything else of the sort.

My point is, this thread needs to get back into an actual debate instead of this throwing around with a generalized sarcasm because a couple of posts in a 13 page long thread.

A point which I find somewhat interesting is the fact that seemingly, no other teams but the Niners was interested in Wallace, and they jumped away when the price was mentioned. I don't know what this price was, but I know that it was too high to generate any solid interest in him. Apparently, the Steelers fans are the only people who believe him to be worth a big bunch of money. That is obviously disregarding the draft pick, but I'll make a bold claim and say that if teams really were high on Wallace they would have paid that easily.

greennick
07-23-2012, 08:03 PM
A point which I find somewhat interesting is the fact that seemingly, no other teams but the Niners was interested in Wallace, and they jumped away when the price was mentioned. I don't know what this price was, but I know that it was too high to generate any solid interest in him. Apparently, the Steelers fans are the only people who believe him to be worth a big bunch of money. That is obviously disregarding the draft pick, but I'll make a bold claim and say that if teams really were high on Wallace they would have paid that easily.

But would they have paid the money AND the first round draft pick?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

JensK
07-23-2012, 08:22 PM
Somehow It wont let me quote, but in response to greennick:

If we go ahead and judge by some of the players which he has been compared to in this thread I think an interesting question would be: Would you want the Steelers make that trade?

For the sake or argument I will say that he is going to demand something 12-15 mil per year. That is not far from what Fitzgerald and Johnson got. Now, would you pay a first-round pick and that kind of money for either of those players? I know I would.

steelcitysfinestXL
07-23-2012, 08:26 PM
My point is, this thread needs to get back into an actual debate instead of this throwing around with a generalized sarcasm because a couple of posts in a 13 page long thread.

I disagree. The fact that no team has ever been willing to pay the 1st round draft pick price on a tendered player (to my recollection) is the reason why he didn't leave this year. You can't just "disregard" that because it's the main sticking point on why a deal like that has never happend.

To the first point you made: I have no problem with an opposing point of view. But some of the things mentioned in this thread have been ridiculous. Half the time I don't even know if the poster is being serious or not, so yes I'll greet it with sarcasm.

While people on here are so fast to throw out thoughts on past negotiations, It speaks volumes to me that the organization has been so public in saying they want Wallace for the foreseeable future. Normally this team has not been shy in saying things like: "We'll deal with the players who are here and the ones who aren't we won't talk about!" Tomlin has said it and Cowher has as well. Hearing Mike Tomlin even talk about Wallace, let alone saying: "Hopefully this is short term misery" lends to the belief that this team, like some on this board, realize how important Mike is to this team.

Real Deal Steel
07-23-2012, 10:22 PM
Remind what round Sweed was and what round Greg Lloyd was. Again you are spot on, uncanny!

love it when you have to find exceptions. That helps prove my point. Greg Lloyd....that was almost another era. But keep reaching.LOL

Black@Gold Forever32
07-23-2012, 10:24 PM
Well I get sarcastic when I read totally dumbass comments like Rainey and Clemons making us forget all about Mike Wallace......Which have been going around in a couple threads.....I like both Rainey and Clemons as well but these guys have to make the team first period.....

I also think its way off comparing Wallace to somebody like Andre Rison.......Wallace hasn't had off-field drama like Bad Moon did in his career and wasn't a first rounder like Rison......

Again I'm going to ask what is really Mike Wallace holding out at the moment?....Training camp hasn't even started......I think people have over blown this whole Mike Wallace saga........

Black@Gold Forever32
07-23-2012, 10:30 PM

Yea the 49ers had no reason to lie (eyes rolling)......Maybe throw a scare tactic and hoping the Steelers would have lowered their tender on Wallace.....All I'm saying until I hear it from Mike Wallace himself then I will have doubts on what kind of demands he is making....You or I are not behind the scenes during these negotiations........

LatrobePA
07-23-2012, 11:14 PM
Wallace will sign soon. I hope sooner rather than later for his and this teams sake!

Black@Gold Forever32
07-23-2012, 11:20 PM
Yea I'm done with the whole Wallace debate....I have said my piece and the other side has said theirs.....Really it doesn't matter since we all do root for the same team.....I hold no hard feelings ever.....Debates get out of hand at times....lol

BlitzburghRockCity
07-23-2012, 11:41 PM
Nobody knows for sure what Wallace is really asking for. We just think it's Fitzgerald money because of that San Francisco reporter. I'm anxious to see what Wallace says about this when he does eventually sign.

JensK
07-24-2012, 05:59 AM
I disagree. The fact that no team has ever been willing to pay the 1st round draft pick price on a tendered player (to my recollection) is the reason why he didn't leave this year. You can't just "disregard" that because it's the main sticking point on why a deal like that has never happend.

To the first point you made: I have no problem with an opposing point of view. But some of the things mentioned in this thread have been ridiculous. Half the time I don't even know if the poster is being serious or not, so yes I'll greet it with sarcasm.

While people on here are so fast to throw out thoughts on past negotiations, It speaks volumes to me that the organization has been so public in saying they want Wallace for the foreseeable future. Normally this team has not been shy in saying things like: "We'll deal with the players who are here and the ones who aren't we won't talk about!" Tomlin has said it and Cowher has as well. Hearing Mike Tomlin even talk about Wallace, let alone saying: "Hopefully this is short term misery" lends to the belief that this team, like some on this board, realize how important Mike is to this team.

It is true that and a valid point that it obviously also has something to do with the rule of tendering players is falt out retarded. I don't claim that I remember all of the tenders for the last 5-6 years, but I can at least say that it is not often a player with Wallace skills actually gets tendered. Its usually a franchise-tag or a huge contract. He has been in the league for 3 years so its not like you throw away your 1rd rounder for a short-term solution player. Either way, its obviously just speculations at this point, although I still find it interesting that we only heard about one team making inquiries to the Steelers about him; the media is usually pretty good at getting that kind of information.

I understand the reason for the sarcasm, I just don't agree with it. It could easily just be ignored. I'm not trying to play the police or anything, I just think there are plenty other football sites, let alone Steelers pages, which is filled with this and it sadens me if our debates should degenerate into something like that. In either way I guess I should say that I personally don't think any less of anyone. I merely think that we could have a more... lets call it educated debate. Some of the stupid things which have been said in this post have been uncalled for, but some of the responces have been equally unnecessary.

I agree with your last point. The organization wants him and I'm fairly certain that Wallace wants to be here as well. That does not really change the fact that one of the parties is going to have to make a small sacrifice and that someone is likely going to have to be Wallace, because Steelers simply don't have the capital to give him a contract which he desire. At this point it is probably safe to assume that he is demanding a pretty damn huge contract; if not, he would have gotten it a long time ago.

ChucktownSteeler
07-24-2012, 07:01 AM
I bow out, I think the points are being misread or misinterpreted.

C-town

Real Deal Steel
07-24-2012, 11:38 AM
Nobody knows for sure what Wallace is really asking for. We just think it's Fitzgerald money because of that San Francisco reporter. I'm anxious to see what Wallace says about this when he does eventually sign.

Blitz, at the time the 49ers needed a deep threat vertically. So of course they were going to kick the tires of Wallace. They had no reason to lie about what Wallace was asking for monitarily. Whatever he was asking, it was high and too much for the 49ers. Accordingly, the 49ers say he was asking for "crazy" money.

Posters in this room don't want to believe it similar to Penn St. alum not wanting to believe the e-mails of Joe Paterno. Wallace's agent was asking for stupid money...there is no reason for the 49ers to lie. They needed a deep threat at the time and no matter what they said, we could still match whatever was offered to him.

Wallace is not a bad guy for wanting more money. What has some miffed is how he went about it considering the organization he was dealing with (Steelers). Nothing more needs to be said. But I find it comical how people discount facts because it doesn't match their fantasy idea of a situation.

Again..similar to Penn St. alum not wanting to believe hard factual emails of Paterno to the President of the school and vice versa.

86WARD
07-24-2012, 11:39 AM
Lol @ "Wallace holding the Steelers hostage."

Real Deal Steel
07-24-2012, 11:41 AM
I hear ya. But Wallace felt he was doing something to the front office by not signing his tender. What he thinks he was doing, I don't know.

tburg68
07-24-2012, 12:09 PM
Veteran players renegotiate their contracts to help the team save cap room. They don't lose money from this. They can do this because they ALREADY have a large long term contract. Comparing this to a player that is trying to negotiate his first long term contract is ludicrous. He(like any other player) is going to try to get the most money he possibly can. He hasn't held out, and I'm sure that long term contract or not, he will play with the Steelers this year.

IF he holds out and misses part or all of the season, the debate about who is better, Wallace or Brown, will be painfully obvious. Deep threats like him don't grow on trees.

86WARD
07-24-2012, 05:48 PM
Wexell reported that Wallace signed a 5-Year deal for $42M and then later retracted it...:thinking:

ChucktownSteeler
07-24-2012, 05:54 PM
Wexell reported that Wallace signed a 5-Year deal for $42M and then later retracted it...:thinking:

If confirmed as true, that is a fair contract.

C-town

Black@Gold Forever32
07-24-2012, 06:22 PM
If confirmed as true, that is a fair contract.

C-town

Guaranteed money is the key to any NFL contract........Say Wallace signs that deal it won't be 42 million guaranteed.......It will be around 20-25 million guaranteed.......

Big T
07-24-2012, 06:36 PM
Weslye Saunders congratulated him on twitter but then backtracked. I hope an announcement is coming and this isn't just all the result of bad information.

cmerrifield
07-24-2012, 06:39 PM
Wex said it was the result of bad info. So I am guessing not true altogether.

sent from my Samsung Galaxy Siii using tapatalk 2

ChucktownSteeler
07-24-2012, 07:31 PM
Weslye Saunders congratulated him on twitter but then backtracked. I hope an announcement is coming and this isn't just all the result of bad information.

Weslye now says he jumped the gun. This might be false.

JensK
07-24-2012, 07:33 PM
A contract around that magnitude would be very suitable in my opinion. Hell, I would not be against him getting a little more, depending on the amount of garuanteed money. Either way, rumors usually have some truth to them, so I reckon we will see something really soon.

greennick
07-24-2012, 08:43 PM
A contract around that magnitude would be very suitable in my opinion. Hell, I would not be against him getting a little more, depending on the amount of garuanteed money. Either way, rumors usually have some truth to them, so I reckon we will see something really soon.

Agreed. That is probably what the Steelers offered. Hopefully his camp said it was fair, but hadn't actually agreed yet and is negotiating the guaranteed amount. Hence the jumping the gun.

We live in hope.

86WARD
07-24-2012, 08:52 PM
Hopefully it just means they are close and it's in that ballpark...

Big T
07-24-2012, 09:21 PM
CBS Sports' Jason LaCanfora confirms the Steelers and restricted free agent Mike Wallace are still talking, though nothing is imminent. LaCanfora was responding to a false report by a local TV station that Wallace had agreed to a below-market five-year, $42 million contract with $20 million guaranteed. We're confident Wallace's deal will be quite a bit more pricey once the sides finally agree. According to LaCanfora's colleague, Mike Freeman, a Wallace deal is "extremely close."

http://www.rotoworld.com/playernews/nfl/football-player-news

K Train
07-24-2012, 09:22 PM
it would be so exciting to get this deal done

Big T
07-24-2012, 09:25 PM
it would be so exciting to get this deal done

No kidding. Every time I get a text I pray it's a tweet from Bouchette/Glazer/Schefter saying a deal has been reached.

BlitzburghRockCity
07-24-2012, 09:37 PM
Something around 50 million is what he should get. That's a fair market for a first big contract with a guy like Wallace. Big potential but not there yet.

greennick
07-24-2012, 10:12 PM
Something around 50 million is what he should get. That's a fair market for a first big contract with a guy like Wallace. Big potential but not there yet.

10 million per season?

K Train
07-24-2012, 10:25 PM
50-55million for 5-6 years sounds about right, about half of it guaranteed

Black@Gold Forever32
07-25-2012, 12:31 AM
I'm going to dance the jig when Wallace finally does sign just so things can get back to normal within the force.....lol

BlitzburghRockCity
07-25-2012, 03:55 PM
This might get him signed pretty quickly... (http://www.post-gazette.com/stories/sports/steelers/wallace-a-no-show-steelers-suspend-negotiations-646152/#ixzz21fM5VoQe)

Mike Wallace took another stand when he did not report to training camp on time, and now apparently the Steelers will take one of their own as the contract impasse between the two sides takes a new turn.

The Steelers will suspend negotiations on a multiple-year contract until Wallace signs his one-year tender and reports to the team, a club source said. As a restricted free agent, Wallace was offered a one-year contract worth $2.472 million last March but he remains the only RFA in the NFL who has not signed.

Wallace, who made the Pro Bowl in his third season last year, cannot practice until he is under contract, either by signing the one-year tender or by signing another contract offered by the team that has now been basically rescinded.

The stance of ending negotiations for a holdout has been taken by the team before, most recently when Hines Ward held out for the first two weeks of the 2005 training camp. However, Ward had one year left on his contract at the time and was pressing for a new one. After ending his holdout, negotiations resumed and he received a four-year extension three weeks later.

Steelers president Art Rooney II declined comment on the situation Wednesday during a press conference to formally announce the signing of first-round draft choice David DeCastro. In June, Rooney told the Post-Gazette, regarding Wallace's absence from all spring activities, "He should be here."

Black@Gold Forever32
07-25-2012, 03:59 PM
I mean its no shock the Steelers are going to suspend the Wallace contract talks....Did the same thing with Ward until he reported to camp.......Its just business and wish some of our fans would realize that......

BlitzburghRockCity
07-25-2012, 04:10 PM
Well of course, anybody with half a brain knew this was going to happen sooner or later.. :lol: If he doesn't sign that tender within the first week now I'll be mildly surprised.

Real Deal Steel
07-25-2012, 04:20 PM
Well the time for guess work is gone. It's Wallace's move now. It's up to him to sign the tender. And no excuses can be made by the Wallace apologist at this point.

K Train
07-25-2012, 04:22 PM
its a good move by wallace to not show, and its a good move by the steelers to suspend talks as talks were heating up. its in his best interest to sign it and come in within the next few days

Black@Gold Forever32
07-25-2012, 04:24 PM
its a good move by wallace to not show, and its a good move by the steelers to suspend talks as talks were heating up. its in his best interest to sign it and come in within the next few days

This......exactly ktrain but were Wallace apologists....lol

K Train
07-25-2012, 04:25 PM
they are playing chess, this is business as usual really lol

Black@Gold Forever32
07-25-2012, 04:29 PM
Yep just the standard in the NFL today.......Its all business......

Big T
07-25-2012, 04:32 PM
Yep just the standard in the NFL today.......Its all business......

Not at all! Mike Wallace is an ******* holding the team hostage. Now the team, who doesn't want or need him, is saying that they don't negotiate with terrorists. Obviously, neither party wants the other around.

K Train
07-25-2012, 04:32 PM
Not at all! Mike Wallace is an ******* holding the team hostage. Now the team, who doesn't want or need him, is saying that they don't negotiate with terrorists. Obviously, neither party wants the other around.

K Train approves this message

Black@Gold Forever32
07-25-2012, 04:33 PM

lol......I know Mike Wallace the antichrist and such a terrible team mate.......He just take what Massa Rooney first offer is and kiss his *** to be a Steeler...lol

K Train
07-25-2012, 04:38 PM
through all this wallace wanting fitzgerald money, being a diva, holding the team hostage, twisting the steelers arm, turning into a real "A-hole" i havent heard wallace make a peep and all his boys rolling into camp today say hes been working hard, is eager to get into camp, probably wont miss more than 5 days of camp.

Meanwhile the coaches and front office have said all along they wanted to get a deal done, that one will be worked out, that they want wallace to be a steeler for a long time.

i just dont get where the negativity comes from lol

Big T
07-25-2012, 04:43 PM
through all this wallace wanting fitzgerald money, being a diva, holding the team hostage, twisting the steelers arm, turning into a real "A-hole" i havent heard wallace make a peep and all his boys rolling into camp today say hes been working hard, is eager to get into camp, probably wont miss more than 5 days of camp.

Meanwhile the coaches and front office have said all along they wanted to get a deal done, that one will be worked out, that they want wallace to be a steeler for a long time.

Exactly. But whatever. He's still a selfish, money hungry, lazy ******* who won't report until he gets the richest contract in history. We better get used to not seeing him around.

Black@Gold Forever32
07-25-2012, 04:59 PM

Its rather strange.....I don't get it either.......Its not like Wallace has missed any games.....Plus OTA's are so over-rated.....Only reason they seem like a big deal is the non stop coverage of the NFL by the NFL Network and the countless NFL shows on ESPN........

Black@Gold Forever32
07-25-2012, 05:00 PM
Exactly. But whatever. He's still a selfish, money hungry, lazy ******* who won't report until he gets the richest contract in history. We better get used to not seeing him around.

Yea since we have Chris Rainey and Tony Clemons to make us forget all about Mike Wallace.....He is so easy to replace...Who cares if Ben loses his most dangerous WR again for a third time in his career....lol

ChucktownSteeler
07-25-2012, 05:40 PM
Ah-hem, As stated many times, the Steelers will not negotiate while the player holds out, never have, never will:

Wallace a no-show; Steelers suspend negotiations

July 25, 2012
By Ed Bouchette / Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Mike Wallace took another stand when he did not report to training camp on time, and now apparently the Steelers will take one of their own as the contract impasse between the two sides takes a new turn.

The Steelers will suspend negotiations on a multiple-year contract until Wallace signs his one-year tender and reports to the team, a club source said. As a restricted free agent, Wallace was offered a one-year contract worth $2.472 million last March but he remains the only RFA in the NFL who has not signed.

Wallace, who made the Pro Bowl in his third season last year, cannot practice until he is under contract, either by signing the one-year tender or by signing another contract offered by the team that has now been basically rescinded.

The stance of ending negotiations for a holdout has been taken by the team before, most recently when Hines Ward held out for the first two weeks of the 2005 training camp. However, Ward had one year left on his contract at the time and was pressing for a new one. After ending his holdout, negotiations resumed and he received a four-year extension three weeks later.

Steelers president Art Rooney II declined comment on the situation Wednesday during a press conference to formally announce the signing of first-round draft choice David DeCastro. In June, Rooney told the Post-Gazette, regarding Wallace's absence from all spring activities, "He should be here."

http://www.post-gazette.com/stories/sports/steelers/wallace-a-no-show-steelers-suspend-negotiations-646152/#ixzz21eyCjtyH

Big T
07-25-2012, 05:45 PM
Ah-hem... It seems someone hasn't read the last 2 hours worth of posts in this thread.

ChucktownSteeler
07-25-2012, 05:47 PM
ah-hem, some people have day jobs.

Did he sign?

ChucktownSteeler
07-25-2012, 05:49 PM

How in the name of good and evil is this a good move? Nothing will get signed if either side does not talk.

Big T
07-25-2012, 05:49 PM
ah-hem, some people have day jobs.

Did he sign?

Lol nah. We've just been talking about it. Business as usual. It'll get done soon enough.

ChucktownSteeler
07-25-2012, 05:53 PM
Lol nah. We've just been talking about it. Business as usual. It'll get done soon enough.

I hope so, if it is a fair deal to BOTH sides. However with that being said, I am getting the feeling this is going down the path of the Mike Merriweather saga. I hope I am wrong, but time will tell.

The Steelers will not negotiate until he signs that tender. They never have and they never will. I don't understand why Wallace thinks he can change the Steelers way of doing business. Even Hines ward had to return before they would negotiate with him.

K Train
07-25-2012, 05:59 PM
How in the name of good and evil is this a good move? Nothing will get signed if either side does not talk.
its a good business move by both sides in order to get a deal done. they were negotiating up until today, nothing got done so this is how it works. wallace will sign his tender in the next few days and they will start up talks again.

tburg68
07-25-2012, 06:18 PM
Some fans can't look at the positive side of things. Some fans can't love the talented starter, they have to extol the virtues of the hard working backup. Some fans can't understand that there is nothing wrong with trying to leverage a situation to the fullest for your best personal financial gain.(Guess they are all happy making minimum wage at McDonalds)

I'm going to take the wait and see what happens approach with Wallace, because this isn't the first time a situation like this has occurred, and it isn't the first preseason game, let alone the first regular season game.

ChucktownSteeler
07-25-2012, 06:37 PM
Some fans can't look at the positive side of things. Some fans can't love the talented starter, they have to extol the virtues of the hard working backup. Some fans can't understand that there is nothing wrong with trying to leverage a situation to the fullest for your best personal financial gain.(Guess they are all happy making minimum wage at McDonalds)

I'm going to take the wait and see what happens approach with Wallace, because this isn't the first time a situation like this has occurred, and it isn't the first preseason game, let alone the first regular season game.

Some fans want what is best for their team and some fans hate the me only attitude. Some fans hate dumb arse players that don't know the history of perhaps the most respected and well run organization in all sports.

Real Deal Steel
07-25-2012, 07:19 PM
That's my whole point.

It's okay for Wallace to want more money. Really it is. It's how he's gone about it that people don't like. Every poster in here on either side of the conversation knows how the Steelers front office conducts business. Yet...Wallace's dumb *** agent uses methods that none of us would have used to try and get him a big contract.

LatrobePA
07-25-2012, 07:31 PM
I personally think Wallace is a **** but I also feel the team could be doing more to sign him, I.e: cut more PUP list shitballs!

ChucktownSteeler
07-25-2012, 07:32 PM
That's my whole point.

It's okay for Wallace to want more money. Really it is. It's how he's gone about it that people don't like. Every poster in here on either side of the conversation knows how the Steelers front office conducts business. Yet...Wallace's dumb *** agent uses methods that none of us would have used to try and get him a big contract.

Correctumdo. We all want more money, but there is a right and a wrong way to go about it.

BlacknGoldHaze
07-25-2012, 07:48 PM
Wallace is an idiot listening to his idiot agent....he gains nothing with this holdout but the loss of respect from the fans.....

JensK
07-25-2012, 08:00 PM
This move should have been made several weeks ago to save both parties a lot of trouble imo. Either way, it does not really change anything. Steelers will go about their business as usual and Wallace still have no other option but to sigh the tender, just as when the situation started to unfold.

tburg68
07-25-2012, 10:24 PM
Wallace may be going about this the wrong way, and listening to bad advise, all in some people's opinions.

None of this makes him a bad person, let alone an overrated or bad player. Nor does it make other WR's on this
team better than him.

Zachintosh66
07-25-2012, 11:10 PM
So how long is too long to miss? Whats everyone thinking on that one...

Black@Gold Forever32
07-25-2012, 11:22 PM

In my opinion missing games becomes a big deal period....But still I can't blame him without a long term deal in place....I would do the samething as Wallace if I was in his shoes....I just hope they work it out soon......

Big T
07-25-2012, 11:35 PM
In my opinion missing games becomes a big deal period....But still I can't blame him without a long term deal in place....I would do the samething as Wallace if I was in his shoes....I just hope they work it out soon......

I honestly don't see him missing any games. I think he'll realize that it's a business and by next weekend (not this coming one), he'll sign his tender, be in camp, and they'll get a long term deal done before the season starts.

K Train
07-25-2012, 11:58 PM
i dont mind him missing camp, honestly the reps will be good for sanders lol

Black@Gold Forever32
07-26-2012, 12:40 AM
I honestly don't see him missing any games. I think he'll realize that it's a business and by next weekend (not this coming one), he'll sign his tender, be in camp, and they'll get a long term deal done before the season starts.

I don't either Big T but just saying he could go the V-Jack route and not report to week 10.......He would be a huge loss if he does decide to go that route.....I think the Steelers and Wallace will reach an agreement in the next few weeks.....

Black@Gold Forever32
07-26-2012, 12:41 AM
i dont mind him missing camp, honestly the reps will be good for sanders lol

For sure but just hope Manny can stay healthy.....I really like the kid but injuries have slowed him from reaching his potential at this point......

ChucktownSteeler
07-26-2012, 06:51 AM

Well, if Bus Cook has anything to say.............

http://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/2012/7/25/3185702/steelers-training-camp-holdout-mike-wallace-bus-cook-marcedes-lewis-hines-ward

ChucktownSteeler
07-26-2012, 06:53 AM
Wallace Can’t Win

July 25th, 2012
Mark Kaboly | Tribune-Review

To steal a line from the movie “Rocky IV” and apply it to Mike Wallace: “You can’t win!”

Mike Wallace can’t win, and won’t win this showdown with the Steelers.

The Steelers disgruntled wide receiver failed to show for the first day of training camp Wednesday, officially making him the first non-rookie holdout since Hines Ward seven years ago, and the Steelers aren’t happy about it.

Very out of character, Mike Tomlin voiced his displeasure a number of times during his opening press conference.

“Obviously on a not so positive note, Mike Wallace isn’t here …”

“He’s not here today and that’s unfortunate for him …”

“This group who are the Pittsburgh Steelers will continue to push on …”

“When he shows up, he shows up …”

“I won’t focus on him until he gets here …”

And who can blame the Steelers?

The two sides were making significant progress with contract negotiations, but with Wallace deciding to hold out, everything has come to a screeching halt.

Whoever is giving Wallace advice isn’t helping his cause whatsoever.

Nothing can and will be accomplished by holding out … at least nothing positive.

First and foremost, Wallace isn’t going to intimidate the Steelers at all. So if that is his plan of why he is deciding to hold out, he’s misguided.

If the Steelers shut off Ward in 2005 when he held out, I am sure they won’t blink when it comes to Wallace.

And it is safe to say that Wallace won’t win any popularity contests with the fans.

There’s no worse recipe for disaster to a player’s public persona that to quibble over money. Pittsburgh fans won’t stand for it.

Wallace has put himself in a lose-lose situation, and he didn’t have to.

There is nothing good that can, and will, come out of holding out, and the longer it goes on, the worse it’s going to get.

It’s likely that Wallace will show up by the beginning of the week meaning that his mini-holdout was just to reinforce his displeasure.

But now, it’s not good for both parties involved, and Wallace has nobody to blame for that except himself.

K Train
07-26-2012, 09:00 AM
Kaboly going for the dramatic approach, shocking

steelcitysfinestXL
07-26-2012, 10:14 AM
Kaboly is playing to his audiance! The majority of Pittsburgh fans side with this argument as well. My personal feeling is that NOW the ball is in Wallace's court. If the Steelers do/did in fact "hault negotiations" then i think the "football player" will eventually come out in Wallace and in time he will show up before week 1. Im not going to buy into the statements like "Wallace isnt doing himself any favors". If he is set on making 8-10+ mil. per year and the Steelers told him "never going to happen with us" then he is doing himself a favor. He isnt risking undue injury OR loss of money until week 1.

Yeah, it sucks and NO they arent the same or better team with out him, but they can be successful! Either way i dont see this ending soon!

LatrobePA
07-26-2012, 10:20 AM
The ball is in Mike's court now, let's see how he handles it...

steelcitysfinestXL
07-26-2012, 10:42 AM
Kaboly going for the dramatic approach, shocking

I'd like to see someone write an article about "How the Steelers dropped the ball". Its been well documented here and through the media about how the Steelers do business ie: Not negotiating with camp holdouts. What hasnt be dicussed is how the Steelers usually get deals done before players enter the final year of their contract! In 2011 They re-sign Troy and Timmons to avoid this very scenerio. Plus, they franchised Woodley (while not desirable still paid him top 5 money) and resigned Taylor before 2011 camp to avoid a camp holdout! But why not Wallace? Why not the youngest of the group? Why not they 1 guy who you knew had nowhere to go but up in the 2011 season? IMO he should have been locked up this time LAST year before Timmons!

greennick
07-26-2012, 10:52 AM
Kaboly is playing to his audiance! The majority of Pittsburgh fans side with this argument as well. My personal feeling is that NOW the ball is in Wallace's court. If the Steelers do/did in fact "hault negotiations" then i think the "football player" will eventually come out in Wallace and in time he will show up before week 1. Im not going to buy into the statements like "Wallace isnt doing himself any favors". If he is set on making 8-10+ mil. per year and the Steelers told him "never going to happen with us" then he is doing himself a favor. He isnt risking undue injury OR loss of money until week 1.

Yeah, it sucks and NO they arent the same or better team with out him, but they can be successful! Either way i dont see this ending soon!

I disagree with that 100%. By not coming to training camp he misses out on getting to know the new play book required to make the big plays that will get him the big contract. Further, he increases his chance of injury in the season as he is not match fit.

I see this ending soon. He'll come in to camp. Then a deal will be worked out before the end of camp.

Black@Gold Forever32
07-26-2012, 10:55 AM
I disagree with that 100%. By not coming to training camp he misses out on getting to know the new play book required to make the big plays that will get him the big contract. Further, he increases his chance of injury in the season as he is not match fit.

I see this ending soon. He'll come in to camp. Then a deal will be worked out before the end of camp.

Wallace picked up the new playbook weeks ago and has been learning the new playbook....I think Wallace will report in a couple weeks.......

steelcitysfinestXL
07-26-2012, 11:04 AM

You're right, in a sense: he isnt learning the new offense. But, if you're right about this ending soon then he has plenty of time to get caught up! Plus he has 3 years of "making big plays that will get him a big contract"if he hits UFA in 2013. I hope you're right about this ending soon, i tend to disagree... but i hope im wrong, ill gladly eat that crow!

tburg68
07-26-2012, 11:04 AM
If he misses regular season games, the holdout is too long. As of now, it is two days. He will sign his tender, report to camp and work on a long term deal. He will also put up 1200+ yds and 10 td's, and STILL be the best WR on this team.

greennick
07-26-2012, 11:32 AM
Wallace picked up the new playbook weeks ago and has been learning the new playbook....I think Wallace will report in a couple weeks.......

I know, but in my opinion, there is a big difference between what you get out of reading a play book and practicing the plays with your team mates. Particularly on the option plays, which there will be more of under Haley.

greennick
07-26-2012, 11:33 AM
You're right, in a sense: he isnt learning the new offense. But, if you're right about this ending soon then he has plenty of time to get caught up! Plus he has 3 years of "making big plays that will get him a big contract"if he hits UFA in 2013. I hope you're right about this ending soon, i tend to disagree... but i hope im wrong, ill gladly eat that crow!

One can only hope. He certainly isn't going to get his contract by not coming to camp, so hopefully he sees it that way soon.

steelcitysfinestXL
07-26-2012, 11:37 AM
I know, but in my opinion, there is a big difference between what you get out of reading a play book and practicing the plays with your team mates. Particularly on the option plays, which there will be more of under Haley.

Yeah nothing is going to replace live reps... but being in shape and knowing the basic offense will help SOME.

LatrobePA
07-26-2012, 11:43 AM
IMO he's only hurting himself! Report to camp Wallace, quit being a douche, you won't win this battle...

steelcitysfinestXL
07-26-2012, 11:53 AM
Some fans can't look at the positive side of things. Some fans can't love the talented starter, they have to extol the virtues of the hard working backup. Some fans can't understand that there is nothing wrong with trying to leverage a situation to the fullest for your best personal financial gain.

I couldnt agree more! Look at the 2 most disliked players on this team (from some Steeler fans point of view): Rashard Mendenhall and Mike Wallace!!! The two best player at their position and most fans right now are trying to justify how this team can be BETTER without them... it laughable!

Black@Gold Forever32
07-26-2012, 12:53 PM
So did Wallace sign his tender yet?.....Joke.....lol

BlitzburghRockCity
07-26-2012, 01:08 PM
@EdBouchette: #steelers GM Colbert confirms talks off with Wallace until he ends holdout. Plus, last offer no longer on table

steelcitysfinestXL
07-26-2012, 01:58 PM
@EdBouchette: #steelers GM Colbert confirms talks off with Wallace until he ends holdout. Plus, last offer no longer on table

That doesn't sound good for a quick resolution to me! Lol!

scudmissile29
07-26-2012, 02:00 PM
trade the idiot.

scudmissile29
07-26-2012, 02:01 PM

excited, maybe we see this *** out of pittsburgh.

K Train
07-26-2012, 02:03 PM
trade the idiot.

excited, maybe we see this *** out of pittsburgh.

people should have more respect he was a member of the Pittsburgh Steelers.

Whilst some of you are woodcutters and burger king flippers.

do you even think before you post something or are they just random thoughts of uselessness

Big T
07-26-2012, 02:05 PM
trade the idiot.

Oh yes. Let's trade a guy who, technically, isn't a member of the team. Hmmm. How to we trade someone who isn't under contract with us? But ya, HE'S the idiot.

LatrobePA
07-26-2012, 02:10 PM
Oh yes. Let's trade a guy who, technically, isn't a member of the team. Hmmm. How to we trade someone who isn't under contract with us? But ya, HE'S the idiot.

Soap and pillow case his ***!

cmerrifield
07-26-2012, 03:28 PM
Maybe to pay for our own server, we should charge people for terrible posts.:D

sent from my Samsung Galaxy Siii using tapatalk 2

BlitzburghRockCity
07-26-2012, 03:36 PM
It's clear that the Wallace situation is making everybody crazy :lol: :bonk:

So why not add to it alittle more now, for those that are curious, Wallace's agent isn't driving this holdout according to Ed Bouchette, it's Wallace himself. Portion below, rest part of his paid blog. (https://plus.sites.post-gazette.com/index.php/pro-sports/steelers/117357-ed-wallace-not-agent-calling-the-shots)

Don’t blame the agent for Mike Wallace’s holdout. Bus Cook isn’t driving this bus, Mike Wallace is. That’s what I’ve been told, that Wallace and not his agent is calling the shots on this one. Often, a player takes the advice of his agent on how to proceed, whether to attend spring practices, hold out from them, report to camp, etc. Wallace, though, is telling the agent what he wants to do and what kind of money he wants. Cook has not been returning reporters’ phone calls and I don’t think I’ve seen him quoted anywhere during this entire negotiating process.

Real Deal Steel
07-26-2012, 03:46 PM

So why not add to it alittle more now, for those that are curious, Wallace's agent isn't driving this holdout according to Ed Bouchette, it's Wallace himself. Portion below, rest part of his paid blog. (https://plus.sites.post-gazette.com/index.php/pro-sports/steelers/117357-ed-wallace-not-agent-calling-the-shots)

Don’t blame the agent for Mike Wallace’s holdout. Bus Cook isn’t driving this bus, Mike Wallace is. That’s what I’ve been told, that Wallace and not his agent is calling the shots on this one. Often, a player takes the advice of his agent on how to proceed, whether to attend spring practices, hold out from them, report to camp, etc. Wallace, though, is telling the agent what he wants to do and what kind of money he wants. Cook has not been returning reporters’ phone calls and I don’t think I’ve seen him quoted anywhere during this entire negotiating process.

HELLO ALL YOU WALLACE APOLOGIST! HELLO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Again...how is it that blitz, me and just about every person who's posted on this knows that the Steelers front office doesn't allow players to dictate to them and Wallace NOT KNOW THIS????????????????????????????????

connecticutsteel
07-26-2012, 03:56 PM
WHO EVER IS GUIDING HIM IS GIVING HIM TERRIBLE ADVICE HE HAS NO LEVERAGE LEFT UNLESS HE DOESN'T MIND BEING OUT OF FOOTBALL FOR 2 SEASONS

Black@Gold Forever32
07-26-2012, 04:34 PM

Sorry I don't believe anything old Ed says....He is just a Rooney *** kisser......

steelersbabex25
07-26-2012, 04:46 PM
I'm so sick of Mike Wallace and his diva attitude. Let him go, doesn't even make a difference to me anymore.

Big T
07-26-2012, 05:07 PM
I'm so sick of Mike Wallace and his diva attitude. Let him go, doesn't even make a difference to me anymore.

Not you too. Come on now.

Zachintosh66
07-26-2012, 05:09 PM
What a difference 72 hours make... 3 days ago we were all "trying to be positive" about Wallace. Now its slipping away...

steelersbabex25
07-26-2012, 05:19 PM
Not you too. Come on now.

As much as I don't want him to go (as I just bought his jersey last season) it's obvious that he's going to be a difficult player to deal with in the coming years. He's all about him right now and that's going to be very hard for the front office to put up with going forward. If they can come to an agreement soon, fine. If not, they need to let him go and figure out a way to replace him. Can't wait around forever seeing if he'll come around. We'll be screwed when the season starts. He's not important enough of a player (IMHO) to be causing this many disruptions.

86WARD
07-26-2012, 05:33 PM
He's doing the exact same thing Ward did in 2005. Steelers pulled their contract offer like they always do. No surprises here...

connecticutsteel
07-26-2012, 08:42 PM
It would hurt him more to sit out than it would hurt the steelers. even if he never signs the tender we would still own his rights next year too meaning who ever signed him owes us a 1st round pick he will have too sit out till 2014 to be afull unrestricted free agent so chances are he will sign and move on next year and i only say that because he probably was offered his best deal for the steelers before camp. I was guilty of being a whiner with a sandy vagina about this topic earlier this month but i hope this works out because we are far better with Wallace on the roster but we can win a super bowl without him

K Train
07-27-2012, 09:20 AM
over the past two years hes 4th in yards, 5th in TDs, first in rec over 25 yards...i just cant get past the "hes not that important" line

steelersbabex25
07-27-2012, 10:17 AM
No receiver is that important to me. I think he can be replaced. He's awesome, but he can be replaced.

K Train
07-27-2012, 10:25 AM
teams wish you could just plug in a player of wallaces caliber and be set just like that. look at the jags, the raiders, the redskin, and niners pre-moss, the rams, the patriots post moss...they are all WR needy teams that would love to have a threat like wallace...hell the raiders took DHB 7th overall hoping hed be everything wallace turned out to be,

also lets think about the WRs that have gone early recently....AJ Green, Julio Jones, Justin Blackmon were alll top 6 picks. Teams invest a high premium into fast, TD scoring WRs. Ward was replaceable, wallace is much more unique and brings a rare dynamic to the offense

LatrobePA
07-27-2012, 10:29 AM
Wallace is a badass WR one that all of us (or most) have gotten sick of with this hold out BS but the truth is Train you are right it could take years to find another Wallace... So like Snoop Dogg said, PAY THE MAN!

steelersbabex25
07-27-2012, 10:30 AM
When I see him beat a double team then I'll be more confident in saying that we need to keep him.

Do I think they'll come to an agreement for this year at least? Yes. Do I think he's worth all this trouble? No, not really. But nobody can really say if he is or not until we see how he performs in the coming season.

Real Deal Steel
07-27-2012, 11:08 AM
over the past two years hes 4th in yards, 5th in TDs, first in rec over 25 yards...i just cant get past the "hes not that important" line

K,

I totally see where your coming from but the Steelers "system" is bigger then any player other then QB. That's why from the beginning I never wavered in saying we could trade him and be just fine. Holmes had that same arrogance too in that he felt he was now the passing game of the Steelers.

We've been able to find and groom wide receivers well. Other then Sweed, we've done a pretty good job of that. So for a wide receiver to have an attitude with the front office about money isn't very bright in my opinion. There is nothing wrong in wanting more money but the way he's going about it is what has people miffed.

And I don't care what a certain poster in this room thinks...they took another wide receiver in the draft for a reason.

Real Deal Steel
07-27-2012, 11:09 AM
When I see him beat a double team then I'll be more confident in saying that we need to keep him.

Do I think they'll come to an agreement for this year at least? Yes. Do I think he's worth all this trouble? No, not really. But nobody can really say if he is or not until we see how he performs in the coming season.

I want to see some growth from him in route running and catching the ball in traffic. Especially after he gets his money. I want him to be one of the leaders. If you get paid like a leader, then you have to be a leader.

K Train
07-27-2012, 11:17 AM
K,

I totally see where your coming from but the Steelers "system" is bigger then any player other then QB. That's why from the beginning I never wavered in saying we could trade him and be just fine. Holmes had that same arrogance too in that he felt he was now the passing game of the Steelers.

We've been able to find and groom wide receivers well. Other then Sweed, we've done a pretty good job of that. So for a wide receiver to have an attitude with the front office about money isn't very bright in my opinion. There is nothing wrong in wanting more money but the way he's going about it is what has people miffed.

And I don't care what a certain poster in this room thinks...they took another wide receiver in the draft for a reason.
they took clemons because hes a good prospect to take late in the draft, hes still a long shot to make the team.

You have to think of it this way, wallace has ELITE speed and has moss like ball adjustment ability. Yes, his routes are not always the best but always getting better, and no, hes not really a pluck the ball out of the sky in traffic type of guy. However, ben loves throwing the ball deep, and he loves taller WRs to do that with. Wallace does beat the double team a lot, and much of his lack of production in the second half of the year was due to bens ankle injury being the thing to take away the great deep ball he has, not terrific coverage on wallace, not wallace being lazy, ben just couldnt chuck the ball to consistently beat the double but our abortion of an OC would call the plays anyway making wallace look like hes not all hes been cracked up to be. If ben was healthy and could get behind his throws wallace would have been a lot more productive down the stretch. Its not even really making excuses for wallace, because he was doing the same things he just had to slow down because ben couldnt step into his throws...if you watch you'll see that. But while he couldnt get wallace the ball in space the opposing team still covered it heavily and really made brown shine in the underneath stuff that ben could get the ball too easily still.

just another point of view on the production fall off, watch the tape and youll see

steelcitysfinestXL
07-27-2012, 12:15 PM
they took clemons because hes a good prospect to take late in the draft, hes still a long shot to make the team.

You have to think of it this way, wallace has ELITE speed and has moss like ball adjustment ability. Yes, his routes are not always the best but always getting better, and no, hes not really a pluck the ball out of the sky in traffic type of guy. However, ben loves throwing the ball deep, and he loves taller WRs to do that with. Wallace does beat the double team a lot, and much of his lack of production in the second half of the year was due to bens ankle injury being the thing to take away the great deep ball he has, not terrific coverage on wallace, not wallace being lazy, ben just couldnt chuck the ball to consistently beat the double but our abortion of an OC would call the plays anyway making wallace look like hes not all hes been cracked up to be. If ben was healthy and could get behind his throws wallace would have been a lot more productive down the stretch. Its not even really making excuses for wallace, because he was doing the same things he just had to slow down because ben couldnt step into his throws...if you watch you'll see that. But while he couldnt get wallace the ball in space the opposing team still covered it heavily and really made brown shine in the underneath stuff that ben could get the ball too easily still.

just another point of view on the production fall off, watch the tape and youll see

Couldnt agree more! When you Watch the tape you ALSO see more than a "one trick pony". He catches balls on the sidelines, off of slants, crossing routes... My favorite Wallace TD was last year VS. Cinci: He took one of BA's famous WR quick screens, cut straight to the middle of the field, ran trhough the arm tackle of a LB, split 2 other guys and got hammered at the goaline for a TD! The dude can do it all!

Real Deal Steel
07-27-2012, 12:23 PM
Well, you better read this because this is from CBSsports that just came down:

STEELERS LAST OFFER OFF THE TABLE FOR WALLACE

The Steelers recently decided to shut down contract negotiations with wide receiver Mike Wallace, a restricted free agent who's currently holding out of camp. The two sides were continuing to make progress toward a new deal, but couldn't figure out how to bridge their differences apparently.

And Steelers GM Kevin Colbert said on Thursday that the team has now pulled all their offers off the table. Asked if Wallace could simply say he'd take Pittsburgh's last offer, Colbert told Jim Wexell of Steel City Insider that the team is "in a different mode."

"I think once we made that decision [to cut off negotiations] we're in a different mode and we would have to address any new negotiation if we get to that point," Colbert said.

The GM also confirmed that the team had "chosen not to progress with negotiations at this point," and when asked if he was optimistic about a new deal, said the team is "in just-move-forward mode" at this point.

"I think it is what it is right now with him not being here," Colbert said. "Really, we've got to focus on what we can control, and we can't control that because again every negotiation's unique. You put your best foot forward. If it's not suitable for both parties then you have to adjust. We're really in a just-move-forward mode right now."

Wallace's tender will pay him less than $3 million this season, but with a big 2012, he'd stand a shot at cashing in pretty big on the free-agent market (depending on whether or not the Steelers wanted to use the franchise tag on him) or perhaps even during an in-season negotiation.

At this point, it's questionable whether or not Pittsburgh will get Wallace in for training camp. Which means it's also questionable whether or not he's willing to show up for the regular season -- like Vincent Jackson in 2010 before him, Wallace would only need to play six games in order to accrue a season.

Real Deal Steel
07-27-2012, 12:26 PM
So............

Since your boy Wallace is calling all the shot according to his agent yesterday, he's really messed up with the front office now. You don't **** off the front office. Now he's in trouble. Siberia trouble!! Like when we traded Holmes to the Siberia known as the New York Jets.

Wallace better start learning the St. Louis Rams roster. Because that's where he might end up.

K Train
07-27-2012, 12:28 PM
i understand that, im not sure this falls under the messing up real bad and forever screwing his relationship with the team though. Its his move, we'll have to see how it plays out but EVERYONE including wallace knows its his move

Real Deal Steel
07-27-2012, 12:30 PM

When did they draft Wallace? Oh...okay. :)

They took a WR late because he's a good prospect and they also needed to have a possible replacement just in case. Stop trying to feed my dog poop and tell me it's steak! LMFAO!

K Train
07-27-2012, 12:35 PM

They took a WR late because he's a good prospect and they also needed to have a possible replacement just in case. Stop trying to feed my dog poop and tell me it's steak! LMFAO!

uhhh 3rd rounders are expected to make the team AND contribute. 7th rounders not so much, we do not have many 7th rounders on the roster, david johnson and brett keisel are the 2 i can think of off the top of my head. im sure theres more, but its an uphill battle nonetheless

steelcitysfinestXL
07-27-2012, 12:36 PM
Well, you better read this because this is from CBSsports that just came down:

This is article basically sums up what most of us have been saying since Wallace first decided he wouldnt sign his tender... Maybe YOU should have read the first 5-6 pages of this thread! LOL!

steelcitysfinestXL
07-27-2012, 12:40 PM
As a admitted "Wallace apologist" im glad the Steelers are taking this stance against "My Boy"! I'd go out and grab a vet WR and not even negotiate w/ Wallace until he signs his tender. That way, if he does decide to sit out until week ten, you have SOME depth in place!

Real Deal Steel
07-27-2012, 12:43 PM
This is article basically sums up what most of us have been saying since Wallace first decided he wouldnt sign his tender... Maybe YOU should have read the first 5-6 pages of this thread! LOL!

You don't get the point....when the GM speaks out about you publicly like that then it's a sign that's it's moved to another level. He's pissed off Colbert.

Shaner83
07-27-2012, 12:43 PM
since this is my first post. i agree will most of you all except that they just need to tell him that they will make him sit if he comes in on week 10 and bluff him by telling him that they will franchise him the next year. This would possibly make him think that he may not be in a game for 2 full years with his holdouts.

Black@Gold Forever32
07-27-2012, 12:53 PM

Antonio Brown would have been a better comparison with Clemons since Brown was a 6th rounder.......Fred Gibson (4th round) was a WR fail along with Sweed........So there is some misses so its not a given Clemons will make the team and turn out to be a productive player....But yes the Steelers have been hitting on their WR draft picks so I'm hoping Tony Clemons is the next one....

I stated all along that I just understand why so much negative feeling toward Wallace right now since he hasn't missed any games....If he misses games then bash all you want since a player missing games really hurts the team......

I hope Wallace does what Ward did and hold out for awhile but have enough sense to report in time to not miss any games......

steelcitysfinestXL
07-27-2012, 12:57 PM
You don't get the point....when the GM speaks out about you publicly like that then it's a sign that's it's moved to another level. He's pissed off Colbert.

I dont think YOU get the point. When speaking of a possible camp holdout: we all knew this would happen! If they did it to Hines "The Face of the Franchise" in his prime, why wouldnt they do it to Wallace? I think you're the only one shocked by this! When Hines held out it took Cowher calling him and saying, "If you dont report to camp, they are not going to negotiate with you!" Hines also had the added pressure of fines for missing time uner the franchise tag. Wallace doesnt start getting lighter in the wallet until week 10! Whether "He's pissed off Colbert" or not is irrelevant and how you KNOW that is beyond me.

Wallace now has two options, it would appear: Hold out until week 1 and sign his tender, then sign a new deal or get Franchised -Or- show up week 10 and hope to hit FA or get franchised. This has all been discussed here before!

Real Deal Steel
07-27-2012, 12:58 PM
The front office knows how to grade and develop wide receiver talent. Regardless of the round they get it in. They took Clemons because his height/speed measurable's are awesome.

As we go thru camp, we all will be monitoring the development of the WR corps.

Black@Gold Forever32
07-27-2012, 01:07 PM
Nobody is arguing the Steelers don't know how to grade or develop WR talent.......All I'm just saying there has been some misses like Sweed and Gibson.....You seem to think just because the Steelers drafted Clemons he is going to be a productive WR.....The kid could flop and given the fact he was drafted in the 7th rounder the chances of him flopping are high.....

Again I like the kid as well since he does have a nice size/speed combo but at the same time I won't be shocked if he is one of the roster cuts.....

Real Deal Steel
07-27-2012, 01:10 PM
I dont think YOU get the point. When speaking of a possible camp holdout: we all knew this would happen! If they did it to Hines "The Face of the Franchise" in his prime, why wouldnt they do it to Wallace? I think you're the only one shocked by this! When Hines held out it took Cowher calling him and saying, "If you dont report to camp, they are not going to negotiate with you!" Whether "He's pissed off Colbert" or not is irrelevant and how you KNOW that is beyond me.

Wallace now has two options, it would appear: Hold out until week 1 and sign his tender, then sign a new deal or get Franchised -Or- show up week 10 and hope to hit FA or get franchised. This has all been discussed here before!

Not shocked at all. But the Wallace apologist have been po-poing this like Wallace was going to sign and walk in here at the begining of camp. And that's far from the truth.

Go back, read the post from the last couple of months and you'll see what I mean. They (and I'm including you if you don't mind) where saying, " He's going to sign his tender because he has no where to go and be in camp on time. And blah, blah, blah."

Not going to let you off the hook about the Wallace apologist being wrong. Also...the Wallace apologist were saying, " His agent did this and Wallace didn't actually do anything blah, blah, blah"

And we found out yesterday that his agent said all this is Wallace's own doing. Meaning he's not listening to his agent!

Basically, I'm calling the apologist on the carpet because he's not in camp at the beginning as they've been saying for months that he would be.

And...because he's the one personally making these knuckle head decisions, against his agents recommendations, I now think he's not showing up at all for camp. Because he's displayed that type of stupidity.

The two options you said are totally logical. But Wallace hasn't been logical to this point so why should I expect him too now? Logic said that weeks ago he should have signed the tender,..but he didn't!

It will be very interesting to see if Wallace tucks tail and signs the tender..basically caving in. Something tells me his pride is now wounded and he is too stupid to know when to put pride aside and fall in line like good soldiers do.

steelcitysfinestXL
07-27-2012, 01:24 PM
Not shocked at all. But the Wallace apologist have been po-poing this like Wallace was going to sign and walk in here at the begining of camp. And that's far from the truth.

Go back, read the post from the last couple of months and you'll see what I mean. They (and I'm including you if you don't mind) where saying, " He's going to sign his tender because he has no where to go and be in camp on time. And blah, blah, blah."

Not going to let you off the hook about the Wallace apologist being wrong. Also...the Wallace apologist were saying, " His agent did this and Wallace didn't actually do anything blah, blah, blah"

And we found out yesterday that his agent said all this is Wallace's own doing. Meaning he's not listening to his agent!

Basically, I'm calling the apologist on the carpet because he's not in camp at the beginning as they've been saying for months that he would be.

And...because he's the one personally making these knuckle head decisions, against his agents recommendations, I now think he's not showing up at all for camp. Because he's displayed that type of stupidity.

The two options you said are totally logical. But Wallace hasn't been logical to this point so why should I expect him too now? Logic said that weeks ago he should have signed the tender,..but he didn't!

It will be very interesting to see if Wallace tucks tail and signs the tender..basically caving in. Something tells me his pride is now wounded and he is too stupid to know when to put pride aside and fall in line like good soldiers do.

If you go back and look at the posts by myself, Ktrain, BigT and BG32 most if not all of our posts (i know MINE have) have stated Wallace deserves a LONG TERM DEAL, not a tender. I dont believe i ever said Wallace would/should sign his tender before camp. In fact, I constantly defended him for NOT signing it! And, how would it be tucking his tail if he decides to sign it in the near future? You yourself said he had "No choice, just sign". He didnt sign and tried to negotiate a deal before camp, that was the only leverage he had. So whether he signed in July 25 if if he signs Sept.1, in your eyes, he's "tucking his tail" either way?!?

K Train
07-27-2012, 01:41 PM
i say wallace is in camp within a week, and likely gets a deal within a month. i dont think colbert is "pissed" either, i think he has to talk to the media and hes just doing his job as he should be doing it.

steelcitysfinestXL
07-27-2012, 02:02 PM
K, i hope you're right! By all accounts from his friends/teammates, the guy wants to be with his team and on the field. If thats the case and the rumors about them being close to an 11th hour deal before camp are true, then i just might happen. IMHO, i think he holds out into the season! The only thing to stop him from doing that is the loss of $2.2 mil and the chance they may franchise him next year (which its unlikely if he holds out that they'd want him back at $10 mil for one season) He can recoop that $2.2 mil. In a long term UFA deal EASY compared to what he's gonna get to stay here.