PDA

View Full Version : Sean Spence doing very well

scudmissile29
07-12-2012, 09:16 AM
http://pit.scout.com/

When Steelers linebacker coach Kevin Butler first met Sean Spence at the NFL combine, he told him that “no rookie linebacker comes in and starts. They work their way in on special teams.”

Butler reiterated that on draft day after the Steelers had selected Spence in the third round.

At 5-11 3/8, 231 pounds, Spence wouldn’t compete to replace James Farrior because “the buck linebacker has to be a little bit bigger and take on the guards more,” Butler said, adding that Spence will have to play special teams because “he’s not going to start at mack linebacker over Lawrence Timmons. That isn’t going to happen.”

So why was Steelers special-teams coach Al Everest muttering on the sidelines about the possibility of losing Spence to the starting lineup the same way he had lost another rookie, Patrick Willis, when Everest was the special-teams coach in San Francisco?

During spring drills, Spence had replaced an injured Stevenson Sylvester as the backup buck linebacker behind Larry Foote, and the buzz coming out of the Steelers’ linebacker meetings was that Spence was a true student of the game. He took the right notes and asked all the right questions. He was eating whole the complexities and nuances of a position Farrior claimed had taken him years to master.

Spence’s interception that day at Heinz Field had turned the defensive coaches’ buzz into the special-teams coach’s mutterings.

After the practice, Everest was asked to go on the record about Spence.

“Well, basically, right now, he’s doing everything. He’s doing a great job,” Everest said. “It’s all a part of football; wherever he can serve the team best. He’s a good player. He’s a good player. He’s smart, he pays attention, he listens and he applies. He’s a very impressive young man, I can tell you that.”

So impressive that Butler actually moved Spence from the “no rookie linebacker comes in and starts” camp to the “we’ll see” camp after that spring dress rehearsal at Heinz Field.

“We’ll see,” Butler said. “He may not start, but he’s probably going to get some playing time, like Lawrence did and like LaMarr [Woodley] did. They got playing time as rookies, but weren’t starters.”

It’s just that the Steelers are so impressed with Spence’s beautiful mind. That’s probably the reason they gave him Farrior’s old No. 51 the day Spence reported.

“I think I’m just blessed with it,” Spence said of his instincts. “My dad was a coach, so I guess it has to do with growing up under a coach and understanding the game and looking at the game in a different way. He coached me coming up as a kid in Bunche Park in Miami. He coached me up and I just learned from him.”

Spence played for his father, Samuel Spence, as a kid growing up in inner-city Miami and again at Northwestern High. Dad was an assistant coach and his son was the leading tackler for a team that won back-to-back state titles and the mythical USA Today national championship his senior season.

Spence and several of his Northwestern teammates then headed for the University of Miami where Spence’s football IQ was noticed immediately and he became a four-year starter.

Spence missed three games with a knee injury his sophomore year and was suspended for the opener of his senior season because he had accepted impermissible benefits. But that was the only trouble the inner-city bred linebacker had ever experienced.

“I had both parents, a steady home,” Spence explained. “They took great care of us (five children). I worked for everything I got. They brought me up well.”

In Spence’s first start for Miami, he scored a touchdown against Florida State on a 7-yard interception return and made 10 tackles. He finished the season as the ACC Defensive Rookie of the Year. As a junior he was the Hurricanes’ MVP, and as a senior he was named captain and was voted to the ACC first team. Spence was the first Miami player to record 100 tackles in consecutive seasons since his mentor, Jonathan Vilma, and is one of only six Hurricanes to have accomplished the feat.

But there were – and still are – questions about Spence’s size. And he’s football-savvy enough to understand why those questions are really concerns that he won’t be able to take on blocks in the NFL.

“I know what the problem is,” Spence told reporters at the combine last February. “Sometimes I get so caught up with trying to see what the running back is trying to do, I take my eyes off the offensive linemen. And by the time I put it back on them, they’re already up on me, so [it’s a matter of] just using the proper technique and making sure I’m defeating the offensive linemen first.”

Concerns over Spence’s size appeared to be the reason Butler had dismissed him as a candidate to replace Farrior at the buck position on draft day.

“I wouldn’t call him a buck, no,” Butler told reporters.

But as Butler continued to talk, he appeared to open the door for Spence at the position.

“We cover our linebackers up pretty good,” Butler said. “We let them scrape and run to the football a little bit more instead of coming downhill and taking on isos. The day of the iso with the middle linebacker is almost gone. Everybody is using tight ends as fullbacks and sometimes they use them when trying to lead and sometimes they don’t. A lot of stuff today is misdirection and trying to fool you or outnumber you one way and then give you a different look coming back the other way. A lot of that requires the ability to read from the linebackers nowadays, not so much to get down and stuff a hole. Sometimes you have to do it on the goal line when you have to take on a big running back. But we’re taking on Ray Rice. We’re not taking on Jerome Bettis.”

Later, when Steelers coach Mike Tomlin met the media to recap draft weekend, he said of Spence, “We are going to teach him the inside linebacker position, both positions, and see where that leads us.”

With Spence, that normally leads to the ball. Like the spring day at dress rehearsal when he intercepted yet another pass – and made the special-teams coach wonder if he was going to lose yet another star-crossed linebacker.

waiting for him to be the #1 linebacker on our team.

Must be the power of the dreads.

K Train
07-12-2012, 09:29 AM
gibson was a stud in spring drills too

BlitzburghRockCity
07-12-2012, 11:52 AM
I didn't know much about Spence before the Steelers drafted him. I watched a few videos of him since and this kid can fly. He's not going to out muscle anybody though at this point but that speed and solid tackling could make it very difficult to keep him off the field after his rookie year.

He could be the second coming of Jack Lambert and Jack Ham and he still wouldn't start this year, that just wouldn't happen. Sylvester being hurt again this offseason just opens that door a bit more each time he isn't on the field and Spence is.

scudmissile29
07-12-2012, 03:35 PM
I didn't know much about Spence before the Steelers drafted him. I watched a few videos of him since and this kid can fly. He's not going to out muscle anybody though at this point but that speed and solid tackling could make it very difficult to keep him off the field after his rookie year.

He could be the second coming of Jack Lambert and Jack Ham and he still wouldn't start this year, that just wouldn't happen. Sylvester being hurt again this offseason just opens that door a bit more each time he isn't on the field and Spence is.

I think he should replace Foote for a game against the Cleveland Browns later in the year if our schedule all goes well.

@K_Train... true, but weren't you high on Gisbon, I remember you bashed Worilds as well...

Anyway, Spence looks very good, if he never pans out at linebacker you can always move him to safety.

K Train
07-12-2012, 03:42 PM
hes definitely not a safety, it doesnt just work like that. small linebackers to safety and big safeties to linebacker seldom works out at this level.

i loved gibson, he was a numbers casualty though...potential was through the roof, just raw as hell. and i hate worilds, thats only because hes terrible....well at least painfully average. Clark haggans comes to mind every time i see him fail to close

i like spence, just limit expectations as a rookie....tons of players get this praise in the summer

Real Deal Steel
07-12-2012, 05:20 PM
The speed he brings to the position can't be ignored. But there is no way he'll be THAT significant in his first year. It's just not what we do.

TarlsQtr
07-12-2012, 08:26 PM
Way too excited about what someone did while playing football in shorts.

HUNT4SEVEN
07-12-2012, 10:07 PM
If he's as good as advertised, he should be starting by week 8.

BlacknGoldHaze
07-12-2012, 11:12 PM
He may be one of the biggest surprises of the draft...gotta love the speed and determination!

coldrolled
07-13-2012, 08:12 AM
He was always in on the plays at Miami.. He is relentless. he will play week 1..

Ktrain, where is gibson right now.

LatrobePA
07-13-2012, 08:48 AM
Foote better "invest" more time or else this guy will "steal" his spot..

K Train
07-13-2012, 09:16 AM
theres no way we could expect that kind of contribution from a very undersized rookie linebacker

He was always in on the plays at Miami.. He is relentless. he will play week 1..

Ktrain, where is gibson right now.
thats my point, he was a beast in the spring but was ultimately cut and is floating around on a practice squad somewhere. if he plays week one it is special teams, which is probably where he'll play all year

Black@Gold Forever32
07-13-2012, 09:34 AM
One more point the article touched on was Spence seems to have the brains to learn the play-book quicker then other players......Trust me I'm not proclaiming Spence to be a starter but the quicker he learns the play-book the quicker he will be on the field......I'm anxious to see Spence and I hope he gets playing time early as a rookie.....The thought of Foote covering a TE or RB just scares me.....lol

jpele
07-13-2012, 10:01 AM
theres no way we could expect that kind of contribution from a very undersized rookie linebacker

Thats what they said about Sam Mills.

K Train
07-13-2012, 10:06 AM

Thats what they said about Sam Mills.

ok, if it happens...awesome, but still cant expect it

86WARD
07-13-2012, 10:58 AM
Sam Mills happens everyday...so does Doug Flutie and Emmitt Smith.

LatrobePA
07-13-2012, 11:12 AM
In a passing league players have to change..

K Train
07-13-2012, 11:16 AM
the day its a complete passing league is the day that a team will run all over you, you can build your defense to completely shut down the pass but you are most likely going to get destroyed on the ground.

spence has a long ways to go to be anything other than a ST in the league...i could see him getting some nickel snaps on defense, especially later in the year but an every down LB hes got his work cut out for him

scudmissile29
07-13-2012, 12:04 PM

thats my point, he was a beast in the spring but was ultimately cut and is floating around on a practice squad somewhere. if he plays week one it is special teams, which is probably where he'll play all year

Oh really Spence very undersized.

Wait let me go get something quick.

Sean Spence 231 lbs
Lawrence Timmons 235 lbs
Patrick Willis 240 lbs
Jack Lambert 220 lbs

Hmmm, yes very undersized, wonder if he can pick up that weight.

TarlsQtr
07-13-2012, 12:06 PM
Nothing is impossible, but this guy contributing much more than ST during his rookie season is pretty close to it, barring injuries. Again, we are making way too much of football in shorts.

There are a lot more training camp heroes who never play in the NFL than there are rookie phenoms on the Steelers defense. This guy has not even seen training camp yet.

K Train
07-13-2012, 12:15 PM

Wait let me go get something quick.

Sean Spence 231 lbs
Lawrence Timmons 235 lbs
Patrick Willis 240 lbs
Jack Lambert 220 lbs

Hmmm, yes very undersized, wonder if he can pick up that weight.
willis is an absolute freak of nature has way more strength than spence, both on field and in the weight room. also willis was 230 in high school....242 at the combine, and if you look at him you dont see and undersized LB, id be surprised if he wasnt 250+ regardless of his list weight, hes bigger than timmons and timmons bulked up to 250

Timmons is upwards of 250 now, and even when he was around 235 he was a TERRIBLE fit for us and was absolutely steam rolled in the run game, just physically abused and manhandled as a rookie. Even then he did over double the reps spence did at that size and while bench press isnt everything it does go a long way to taking on guards.

and jack lambert would be demolished in todays league, he played in a time where there were zero 300 pound players

great try, but spence is tremendouly undersized for a 34 MLB, not saying he cant grow into the position but you act like hes going to be a sudden impact which he just isnt...he may very well lead the team in special teams tackles but probably not too much on defnese. I like him a lot as a LB of the future, this year is just so unlikely. He will be able to shoot a gap like no other, its just rare for a rookie to play on that defense and hes really likely not physically ready, his functional strength leaves much to be desired

steelcitysfinestXL
07-13-2012, 02:02 PM
great try, but spence is tremendouly undersized for a 34 MLB
Why I wasn't high on this pick and why I wasn't high on the Timmons pick (as a MLB). Timmons had bust written all over him after his first year after they moved him inside.

But, I do think he can be more of a first year asset then most rookies drafted to this defense. IF he is as smart as they are making him out to be, and he has the play book down, that's kind of a big deal for a guy like him. Knowing the playbook allows him to play fast, which speed happens to be his best asset. Plus he has the added benefit of being a middle linebacker in college. Timmons was a 4-3 DE at FSU trying to stand up and move to MLB.

I'm not gonna say I think he'll be a starter (unless there is an injury) this year or next. But I think he'll be a contributor on Defense (nickel packages) maybe as soon as week 1

steelchamp204
07-13-2012, 02:58 PM
Isnt Harrison undersized also?

Harrison-6'0 242lbs
Spence- 5'11 231lbs

We dont want all of our linebackers across the board to be like Woodley 6'2 and 266lbs. Our defense the past couple years has been "slow" especially with Farrior, let alone seeing Woodley and Harrison get picked on in the passing game. So Spence is an upgrade. Not saying he will start by week 1, but there can be a possibility he can be starting by week 12 or so. I wouldnt be suprised if he didnt start this season also. Just dont use his "size" to a disadvantage. Spence will bulk up fast with a pro workout routine.

K Train
07-13-2012, 03:07 PM
Isnt Harrison undersized also?

Harrison-6'0 242lbs
Spence- 5'11 231lbs

We dont want all of our linebackers across the board to be like Woodley 6'2 and 266lbs. Our defense the past couple years has been "slow" especially with Farrior, let alone seeing Woodley and Harrison get picked on in the passing game. So Spence is an upgrade. Not saying he will start by week 1, but there can be a possibility he can be starting by week 12 or so. I wouldnt be suprised if he didnt start this season also. Just dont use his "size" to a disadvantage. Spence will bulk up fast with a pro workout routine.
its not just easy for a smaller guy to bulk up. Its not so much his size im citing as his functional strength, hes just not strong, and struggles greatly to shed blocks, which gets him eaten alive in traffic.

Harrison is "short" but hes insanely strong, like by ridiculous amount to the point where his shortness is used as an advantage. and woodley is bulky but both he and harrison do very well in coverage for pass rushers, thats not spences game. Im not just saying hes too small, im saying hes no where near pro ready strength wise. Hes smart, hes fast, he can turn and cover...im not discrediting that, as a "starter" im high skeptical that he wouldnt be a huge liability. Hes got work to do, but hes got work ethic to do it...imo slower is better for a player like spence, allowing him to grow into the position and carve out his own niche rather than being forced into someone elses

SnakeEyes43
07-13-2012, 03:13 PM

Sean Spence 231 lbs
Lawrence Timmons 235 lbs
Patrick Willis 240 lbs
Jack Lambert 220 lbs

The Lambert comparison in completely irrelevant. Completely different league now.

Pat Willis- 6'1, 245lbs+ with freak athleticism and strength.
Karlos Dansby- 6'4, 250lbs+
Demeco Ryans- 6'1, 250lbs
David Harris- 6'2, 250lbs
Jon Beason- 6'0, 240lbs+
DJ Willaims- 6'1, 250lbs
Junior Seau- 6'3, 250lbs
Brian Urlacher- 6'4, 260lbs
Ray Lewis- 6'1 240lbs+
Even London Fletcher is 5'10 but he's 245lbs.

Most of these I was just curious, but after looking up multiple top MLB, yes Spence seems to be undersized at 5'11, 230lbs. He has great potential, and I believe he'll be the starter in three years, but this year he'll be a STer and that's it.

LatrobePA
07-13-2012, 03:59 PM
You guys have too much time on your hands... lol

BlacknGoldHaze
07-13-2012, 10:14 PM
This will be one of the more interesting camps......bring it on!

Njsteelersnut
07-14-2012, 08:13 AM
Im definately looking forward to see how some of these draft picks pan put. Can't wait for camp to start......if some of these rookies can step up even as role players we will be in great shape.

scudmissile29
07-15-2012, 10:37 AM
willis is an absolute freak of nature has way more strength than spence, both on field and in the weight room. also willis was 230 in high school....242 at the combine, and if you look at him you dont see and undersized LB, id be surprised if he wasnt 250+ regardless of his list weight, hes bigger than timmons and timmons bulked up to 250

Timmons is upwards of 250 now, and even when he was around 235 he was a TERRIBLE fit for us and was absolutely steam rolled in the run game, just physically abused and manhandled as a rookie. Even then he did over double the reps spence did at that size and while bench press isnt everything it does go a long way to taking on guards.

and jack lambert would be demolished in todays league, he played in a time where there were zero 300 pound players

great try, but spence is tremendouly undersized for a 34 MLB, not saying he cant grow into the position but you act like hes going to be a sudden impact which he just isnt...he may very well lead the team in special teams tackles but probably not too much on defnese. I like him a lot as a LB of the future, this year is just so unlikely. He will be able to shoot a gap like no other, its just rare for a rookie to play on that defense and hes really likely not physically ready, his functional strength leaves much to be desired

not going to read after the first line with the ****** excuse.

Willis is freak bla bla bla.

you obviously, clearly did not watch miami football, Spence was a freak too and tackled far bigger players...

so go get laid, perhaps with gibson,

wait....

i cant find him on any roster....

hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm,

Jon Beason- 6'0, 240lbs+
Even London Fletcher is 5'10 but he's 245lbs.

Beason is one of the best linebackers in the league and so is Fletcher. You don't need to be the requirements to be successful at the position, but you americans wouldn't know that.

I had an american ask me about a photo of Dubai I showed him, he said it wasn't Dubai because there wasn't any sand in the photo.

steelcitysfinestXL
07-15-2012, 11:49 AM
For those who haven't seen this guy play do yourself a favor: Watch a "Highlight" video like this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bWzJi1y6uhY and you'll think he is the next Ray Lewis/Jonathan Vilma/John Beason type "U" middle line backer. Then watch a real game tape like this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z5cvshec56A and you'll see where the concern comes from. When left unblocked, the dude does exactly what you want form a middle linebacker: he flies to the ball and makes picture perfect tackles (getting his head across, wrapping his arms then rolling his hips, its tackling:101, perfection) But, as evidenced from the game tape videos, when an OL/FB/TE or sometimes ever WR gets to his chest he's usually blown out of the play. I have watched 5 game tape style videos of all of his defensive plays and not once did i see him take on a OL, stack>shed>tackle... NEVER SAW IT!!! And in coverage in those 5 games he was average at best, seen getting beat by TE's/RB's and Slot WR's in each game!

I like the the guy and think he has natural ability to play MLB, but he is going to need to bulk up because in the NFL, he's rarely going to be unblocked. I'll be interested to see how he does in 1-on-1 situations in camp. I cant imagine Colon or Pouncey getting there hands inside on Spence, that'll be a pancake everytime!

steelcitysfinestXL
07-15-2012, 12:06 PM
Somehow my post got cut in half so here is the rest:

Above i posted a actual game tape of an entire games worth of defensive plays by Spence. There is more against KSU and FSU if you want a bigger sample size. In these you'll see areas for concern/doubt he can be an every down MLB with out a little bit of time and work!

Here's a highlight video of Spence doing what he does best, when unblocked he looks like that Beason/Vilma/Lewis type "U" MLB:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bWzJi1y6uhY

Speeed
07-15-2012, 12:13 PM
Sure, good news. What would you say if the scuttlebutt was that he sucked!?

Way too excited about what someone did while playing football in shorts.

steelcitysfinestXL
07-15-2012, 12:25 PM
Sure, good news. What would you say if the scuttlebutt was that he sucked!?

I'm going to assume it would go a bit like this: "Way too hard on a guy who is playing football in shorts."

TarlsQtr
07-15-2012, 12:56 PM

you obviously, clearly did not watch miami football, Spence was a freak too and tackled far bigger players...

wait....

hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm,

Beason is one of the best linebackers in the league and so is Fletcher. You don't need to be the requirements to be successful at the position, but you americans wouldn't know that.

I had an american ask me about a photo of Dubai I showed him, he said it wasn't Dubai because there wasn't any sand in the photo.

Nah, you are right. Judging by the great work he has done against NC State and playing in shorts this spring, he is a definite hall of famer... (Sarcasm)

The guy was a third rounder for a reason. How many Steelers FIRST rounders can anyone name during the LeBeau era that played more than a very limited role his rookie season? Even Troy, a REAL freak of nature, did not.

To suggest that this undersized third round draft pick is going to unseat a very competent and experienced linebacker in any other manner but injury is absurd. It does not happen in Steelerland and their record of success demonstrates that it is the correct approach.

TarlsQtr
07-15-2012, 01:06 PM
I'm going to assume it would go a bit like this: "Way too hard on a guy who is playing football in shorts."

Nailed it.

It is great news that Spence appears to be a hard-working and intelligent kid. That is definitely better than receiving the opposite report. However, there are tons of "hard-working and intelligent kids" that never play a down in the NFL because of physical limitations. Spence will play in the NFL, but all of this talk about him replacing Foote by week eight or even week one is beyond ridiculous. Even if he was that good, the Steelers just do not do that unless they have no other choice. If he is playing a major role, it will mean the D is in rough shape and they are in desperation mode.

coldrolled
07-15-2012, 01:26 PM
Spence will play in the NFL, but all of this talk about him replacing Foote by week eight or even week one is beyond ridiculous.

51 or 55 will be replacing Foote sooner than later. He is average at best.

steelcitysfinestXL
07-15-2012, 03:45 PM
51 or 55 will be replacing Foote sooner than later. He is average at best.

I think at this point in his career Foote is a better player than Farrior was the last 3 seasons. He was at his best playing the MACK (weakside ILB) but he is the ONLY player with the experience to be the BUCK LB. Its more important for the BUCK to be a physical presence at the line of scrimmage and be the signal caller on defense. The MACK needs to be a guy who flys to the football and can play against TE's and Backs in the pass game! Sean Spence projects to be a MACK but he wont surplant Timmons anytime soon. I'd look for the Steelers to draft a true BUCK LB early in the upcoming draft. Unless Worilds steps up (looking more and more unlikely) or another Woodley type steal comes along, I'd look for Timmons to replace Harrison when he leaves, and Spence to eventually be the MACK.

The Lakelander
07-15-2012, 06:26 PM
I'm not buying the undersized argument either ... speed kills! ... period! ... my hunch is Spence will be a package LB who comes in on long passing downs in place of Foote ...

I like where this is all going this season ... I'm liking it!

DeCastro - yadda yadda - Spence is far more attractive to me than Hightower - yadda yadda - some 3rd round OG ...

steelcitysfinestXL
07-15-2012, 07:03 PM
I'm not buying the undersized argument either ... speed kills! ... period!

you don't have to buy anything, just look at the tape. The guy struggled at taking on blocks, stacking, then shedding and making a tackle. When unblocked his speed and tackling ability looks AMAZING!!! But his STRENGTH when taking on blocks is lacking.

K Train
07-16-2012, 09:30 AM

wait....

hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm,

discredit it because i said the best linebacker in the league is a freak of nature? which he always was with his rare ability to do everything you could possibly want a linebacker to do? ok, great argument. you are delusional if you dont think patrick willis isnt in a class of his own.

K Train
07-16-2012, 09:40 AM
you don't have to buy anything, just look at the tape. The guy struggled at taking on blocks, stacking, then shedding and making a tackle. When unblocked his speed and tackling ability looks AMAZING!!! But his STRENGTH when taking on blocks is lacking.
which is what ive been saying, its not his "size" that worries me, hes got very poor strength. His height and weight is on the lower side for a MLB but its his functional strength that is lacking rather than his height

steelcitysfinestXL
07-16-2012, 10:26 AM
I do think he is going to get some significant playing time though. I wouldn't be surprised if he was used in nickel packages and or obvious passing downs as early as week 1. I'm just not expecting him to be Junior Seau in his first year. Nor do I think he'll be a starter at any point this year unless there is an injury.

HUNT4SEVEN
08-12-2012, 07:14 PM
Well he looked fast and like he belong out there against the Eagles,he will be fine...

coldrolled
08-12-2012, 09:24 PM
He is a ball hawk... Spence is just fine..

scudmissile29
08-13-2012, 07:14 AM
Yep, I know I'm right about Spence.

Players from Miami usually don't turn into busts.

Players from USC, Stanford and other schools usually do.

FlatsSteeler
08-13-2012, 07:21 AM
Again I have watched Spence play at Miami....the guy is a ball hawk he is where the ball is......good tackler......smart.....and for somebody not strong:willybs:he can lay out the wood.....great pick and will be the ILB of the future.......

scudmissile29
08-13-2012, 09:55 AM
hey haters doubters how's the kool aid?

how about get loosen up and visit some gays around town tonight

GO SPENCE!

LatrobePA
08-13-2012, 10:07 AM

GO SPENCE!

Sorry bro but this is a douchebag post!

steelcitysfinestXL
08-13-2012, 10:34 AM
Sorry bro but this is a douchebag post!

Agreed! Im not even sure the first part was warranted... All the talk out of camp this weekend is how Larry Foote dominated GL drills and thats from Tomlin himself. Sean Spence will get his time, prob some serious playing time this year. I just dont expect him to supplant Foote week one!

FlatsSteeler
08-13-2012, 11:55 AM
Agreed! Im not even sure the first part was warranted... All the talk out of camp this weekend is how Larry Foote dominated GL drills and thats from Tomlin himself. Sean Spence will get his time, prob some serious playing time this year. I just dont expect him to supplant Foote week one!

Agree but the kid is a player for sure......he is the future at ILB......

Nolrog
08-13-2012, 06:30 PM
I still think he's going to wind up a safety.

K Train
08-13-2012, 06:36 PM
no way, that just doesnt work anymore. Small LB turned safety has been overtaken by slow or stiff CB turned safety.

Hes got decent size to be a LB, especially for a team that runs a 43 but for us he'll have to be a NLB and hopefully grow into a MLB. Wont be the first time

NorCalSteel
08-13-2012, 06:39 PM
Its still early he had at least one nice hit against the eagles..I also saw a few he should have made the play on and didnt..Foote looked fast and in the right place against the eagles..

connecticutsteel
08-13-2012, 06:54 PM
That video shows Spence getting beat a lot and whiffing on sacks arm tackles not a great example.I like spence too. he will be fine

Hoosier
08-14-2012, 12:52 AM
Hmm..didn't see the bad plays/whiffs by Spence that others did.

steelchamp204
08-14-2012, 01:24 AM

GO SPENCE!

Who's hating, it's way to early to project how his NFL career will be and that goes for any kind of kid coming out of college. Please don't make an assclown of yourself. We are all pulling for him. Just relax.

scudmissile29
08-14-2012, 04:15 AM
Wow I didn't know there would be so many people crying over my post.

I always try to joke and have fun around the forum, but I can't because some people here are way too serious.

ChucktownSteeler
08-14-2012, 06:44 AM

I always try to joke and have fun around the forum, but I can't because some people here are way too serious.

We're serious about that Avatar!

LatrobePA
08-14-2012, 07:51 AM
Hmm..didn't see the bad plays/whiffs by Spence that others did.

Spence was solid, Sly was whiffing.

steelcitysfinestXL
08-14-2012, 08:55 AM
no way, that just doesnt work anymore. Small LB turned safety has been overtaken by slow or stiff CB turned safety.

Hes got decent size to be a LB, especially for a team that runs a 43 but for us he'll have to be a NLB and hopefully grow into a MLB. Wont be the first time Agreed! Ive said all along, this kid is GOING to get playing time early, he has some serious speed and football smarts that this team can use NOW. I just think Foote is good enough, right now to anchor that middle and be better than Potsie his last few seasons. Spence will be fine!

Its still early he had at least one nice hit against the eagles..I also saw a few he should have made the play on and didnt..Foote looked fast and in the right place against the eagles..
Yes he did!!! I think he'll be fine this season!

That video shows Spence getting beat a lot and whiffing on sacks arm tackles not a great example.I like spence too. he will be fine If youre refering to the vids i posted a while back, those are game films. They show every defensive snap from a game that Spence played in. The wasnt a "lets make Sean Spence look bad" video. He actually got alot of praise in that OSU game for being all over the field. Thats kinda what people like K and myself have been saying. This kid isnt going to come in here and start over Larry Foote week 1 or week 10. He isnt strong enough at the point of attack, BUT he can work on that. He has great intangables you just CANT teach.

steelcitysfinestXL
08-14-2012, 09:04 AM

An Example of the "Feedback Sandwich":(Surrounding negative criticism with 2 positives)

You expressed your point in a very creative and colorful way! Although, your post was foolish and not very funny. Your avatar pic, on the other hand... Congrats Sir!!!

Feedback Sandwich, works everytime!:yellowthumb:

scudmissile29
08-14-2012, 09:41 AM
An Example of the "Feedback Sandwich":(Surrounding negative criticism with 2 positives)

You expressed your point in a very creative and colorful way! Although, your post was foolish and not very funny. Your avatar pic, on the other hand... Congrats Sir!!!

Feedback Sandwich, works everytime!:yellowthumb:

Thanks, it's the **** isn't it.

Nolrog
08-14-2012, 11:01 AM

Hes got decent size to be a LB, especially for a team that runs a 43 but for us he'll have to be a NLB and hopefully grow into a MLB. Wont be the first time

He's not huge, got blazing speed, a nack for getting to the ball and I think you said lacks some strength. That says safety to me.

steelcitysfinestXL
08-14-2012, 11:15 AM
I have to agree and say i dont see any situation where Sean Spence could play safety. I do think he's gonna be a good ILB in time, but safety no way. He's fast for a linebacker and covers pretty well for a linebacker, but i dont see how that translates to him playing safety at the nfl level. He's in the mold of a Derrick Brooks. He's gonna play fast make plays with speed early on in his career. Combine that with a high Football IQ, hopefully, he may turn into something speacial