PDA

View Full Version : Decastro's Contract status - Does he sign before camp starts?

CowherPower
07-02-2012, 10:59 AM
We're now officially into July and training camp starts at the end of this month. Anybody think that David DeCastro's contract situation is going to linger into the start of camp? The likelihood of players holding out isn't anywhere near what it used to be, at least as far as rookies go but still, it could happen for some.

Guys like Richardson in Cleveland and most of the early picks in the first round haven't signed because of this offset language that has to do with the 4th year of the deal. An article talking about Weedon (http://www.cleveland.com/browns/index.ssf/2012/06/holdup_on_brandon_weedens_deal.html) and Richardson's contract also pertains to DC as well.

...That clubs want in the contract. Offset language means that if a player with a guaranteed contract is let go and signs with another club, the original team is off the hook for the portion of the salary paid by the new club. For example, if Richardson were due $5 million in 2015 and his new team paid him $4 million, the Browns would owe him $1 million.

Offset language is the major reason the first eight picks have yet to sign, a source said.

K Train
07-02-2012, 11:03 AM
WHO DOES HE THINK HE IS?!?! HE HASNT PLAYED A SNAP YET!!!

lol, it will get done....seems a few guys have a problem with the 4th year option, id just want him for all 4 years regardless though. Its pretty much the only thing they can dispute with the rookie cap. Being decastro was a top 10 projection he was probably expecting that 4th year guaranteed and still wants it, and i find it odd the steelers wont just give it to him if thats the case

Real Deal Steel
07-02-2012, 12:13 PM
It will work out. Once one figures it out, the others will follow.

BlitzburghRockCity
07-02-2012, 07:24 PM
Yeah there's a lot of early picks hung up on that 4th yr. option. I would think as soon as one of them signs it the rest will start following suit but nobody wants to be the first I guess. With the way the rookies are capped now there isn't much wiggle room in terms of salary so the more guarantees they can get the better.

connecticutsteel
07-03-2012, 01:57 AM
****'em cut them all let them get real jobs who cares if the steelers pay or the dolphins pay. i sure don't. i'm usually on the players side but this is petty stuff that teams will remember when negotiating down the line

but we don't know what the snag is it could be the length of Wallaces contract they would want to stagger the years

BlitzburghRockCity
07-03-2012, 08:48 AM
With all the good things that come with this new CBA, the lower salaries now begin to put other parts of the deal into more focus. More emphasis on the final years will become an increasing issue as the years go by. If you backload a deal, players will want more money guaranteed up front. If you frontload a deal too much then you want the option to get out of that final year.

Either way the more guarantees they can get the better.

ChucktownSteeler
07-05-2012, 03:36 PM
I hope he gets into camp on time. I think we have all the ingredients of a fine season in the works.

C-town