PDA

View Full Version : Interesting Read: Could the Pittsburgh Steelers Trade Mike Wallace to the Carolina Panthers?

Steelerlyn
06-28-2012, 11:37 PM
While many expect nothing more than a minor holdout from receiver Mike Wallace, the Pittsburgh Steelers know the can't afford to lose him to free agency. Would the Carolina Panthers offer a valuable trade for him?
Ike Taylor and other teammates expect Wallace at NFL training camp
While Ben Roethlisberger gets more and more anxious the longer Wallace is gone, at least one Steelers veteran promises the Pro Bowl receiver will return no later than the start of NFL training camp in July. He feels Pittsburgh will find a deal the receiver likes and the two sides will "get it done." In truth, Mike Wallace might sit under an illusion that he deserves to get paid like superstars Larry Fitzgerald and Calvin Johnson. Both players make upwards of $16 million per year. Numbers alone show he's not quite there but one must also take into account that Pittsburgh has some other good receivers on the roster. While Wallace is still the best among them and probably the best in the AFC, most agree if he gets an extension it will stand around $12 million per year. The truth is the Pittsburgh Steelers control the rights to his contract for the next two seasons with the restricted free agent tender this year and then the franchise tag in 2013. Only a stubborn and even obnoxious holdout might sway them to extend or trade him. If it came to that, where would the Steelers send him?

Panthers need an eventual Steve Smith replacement for Cam Newton

One team that could use a number two receiver and an eventual replacement for their number one is the Carolina Panthers. Under rookie Cam Newton, All-Pro receiver Steve Smith came out in 2011 like a phoenix from the ashes. Many expect him to have another good year but the clock is still ticking for him. Smith just turned 33 and runs the risk of injury the more Newton throws to him. It's why Carolina has made their search for a second receiver so important. Many fans like Brandon LaFell or David Gettis to fill that role, Carolina must make sure their prized quarterback has a star target on the outside if they want to compete for Super Bowls. That means they need not just a number two but an eventual successor to Smith. That's where a trade with Pittsburgh comes in. Carolina is in a good spot in that they have plenty of draft picks but also skill players at needed roster areas, particularly offensive linemen like Pro Bowlers Jordan Gross and Ryan Khalil. Either player would become a welcome addition to the bad Steelers line and add some leadership for young rookies like David DeCastro and Mike Adams.

Nothing is certain in the NFL but trading Mike Wallace sounds like the end of the world for Pittsburgh Steelers fans. Then again teams like the Carolinas Panther have good reason to pay high for him as insurance for when Cam Newton can't rely on Steve Smith anymore.

http://sports.gather.com/viewArticle.action?articleId=281474981431843
I do not think this will happen but if Wallace becomes even more difficult to work with, I can see it happening as the Steeler Organization is well known for his disdain toward hard to work with players. I know he is an awesome player but I do not think he is what he thinks he is, by far, in fact, he would have to do quite a bit to earn back MANY Steeler fans respect.

86WARD
06-28-2012, 11:42 PM
:willybs:

Black@Gold Forever32
06-29-2012, 12:09 AM
Ok the past three drafts the Steelers have used a first round pick on Maurkice Pouncey in 2010, a 2nd round pick on Marcus Gilbert in 2011, a first on David DeCastro and a 2nd on Mike Adams in this past draft........The Steelers are not going to trade one of the best young WR's in the NFL who is just entering the prime of his career for more OL since really there isn't any need for anymore OL.....Pouncey, Gilbert, DeCastro, Adams are all young and will be one of the best OLs in the NFL.....

Such a stupid article and lets put the whole Mike Wallace trade talks to rest...He isn't going anywhere and a long term deal will get done.....

ChucktownSteeler
06-29-2012, 02:25 AM
I can't even see Wallace getting close to 12 million. That would make him highest paid on roster. No way that happens.

greg1964
06-29-2012, 08:56 AM
The Steelers have Wallace, for two more years: 2.8 million this year and 9.3 millioin next year: that 11 million over two years which is a average of 5.5 million per year: which is about what he is worth. I know Wallace is the Steelers speed guy, but Brown, Sanders, are NOT some slow foot pocession receivers. Besides with Hanley short passing game approach, speed alone, may not be worth what it use to be.

Besides: of the top four receivers on the roster (including Wallace) he has the worse hands.

connecticutsteel
06-29-2012, 09:32 AM
Anything can happen and we don't need wallace to win a super bowl . but i think he will sign and it will be for 8 to 10 mil per for 5 years

K Train
06-29-2012, 11:41 AM
interesting, i think id want at least jonathan stewart and a first rounder next year (since we missed out on getting a second this year first round draft pick)

BubbyBlister
06-29-2012, 12:26 PM
interesting, i think id want at least jonathan stewart and a first rounder next year (since we missed out on getting a second this year first round draft pick) Now that would be worth it but still I'm all for keeping Wallace. He has not reached his potential yet which I expect he will this year.When that happens and with that speed look the heck out.

Real Deal Steel
06-29-2012, 01:38 PM
At this point, nothing is for certain. Wallace COULD be traded but I don't think it will happen. I think alot depends on:

1. Is he (or will he be) pouty in the locker-room (Like Desean Jackson last year)
2. How long he remains unsigned and falls behind in learning a new offensive scheme and terminology.

Time will tell.

The Lakelander
06-29-2012, 02:59 PM
Hell I thought Jordy Staal was untouchable too ... but the Pens worked out a fair deal for all parties, including Staal himself ...

If it can happen in hockey why can't it happen in the NFL?

If Wallace goes, then we need to protect the value of what was lost with a comparable albeit slightly less capable talent as well as draft picks ... that's my take ...

steelchamp204
06-29-2012, 03:39 PM
I think wallace deserves atleast 8-9 mill a seaon just my:2cents:

LatrobePA
06-29-2012, 04:34 PM
I'd trade him to Cleveland for McCoy, we need a proven QB j/k lol!

Real Deal Steel
06-29-2012, 07:54 PM
Wallace isn't worth 8mil a season. 5mil is doable. We have three other guys that once they get the experience will be just as productive. And Brown's contract comes up next season too?? Sorry..I can't see it.

TarlsQtr
06-29-2012, 09:18 PM
Kind of a silly article. Sure, it COULD happen but the chances are probably less than 5% at this point. It is one of those longshot pieces people write and if they get lucky, they point to it for the rest of their careers as an example of how smart they are. When it does not happen, no one remembers it anyway.

connecticutsteel
06-29-2012, 10:11 PM
Kind of a silly article. Sure, it COULD happen but the chances are probably less than 5% at this point. It is one of those longshot pieces people write and if they get lucky, they point to it for the rest of their careers as an example of how smart they are. When it does not happen, no one remembers it anyway.

The Jaguars could win a game

Phenomenal TJ
06-30-2012, 04:11 AM
While Wallace is still the best among them and probably the best in the AFC

No way is Wallace the best receiver in the AFC.

The Lakelander
06-30-2012, 10:22 AM
I love the way Wallace plays the game ... and I hope he remains a Steeler ... the guy is a talent ... it's really that simple ...

They will pay him what they believe is fair ... or not pay him at all if his price is too high ...

86WARD
06-30-2012, 10:30 AM
Andre Johnson is leaps and bounds better than Wallace...let's not get carried away saying Wallace is the best receiver in the AFC...he may not be the best WR on his own team...

86WARD
06-30-2012, 10:33 AM
Wallace isn't worth 8mil a season. 5mil is doable. We have three other guys that once they get the experience will be just as productive. And Brown's contract comes up next season too?? Sorry..I can't see it.

Let's not forget that a big problem is Pierre Garcon was signed to a 5-Year, $42.5M deal...that's pretty much the starting point for the Wallace negotiations. Vincent Jackson went 5-Year, $55.6M...

Neither of them are worth the money they are being paid IMO.

BlitzburghRockCity
06-30-2012, 10:38 AM
Anything could happen, the sky could fall today too. Every since the Wallace holdout the sky has been falling everywhere for Wallace. The deal will get done before training camp is over and he'll be in camp and preseason. The timing that he's missing now though and if he misses any in camp and preseason will come into play early on when Ben tries to go deep to him and they aren't connecting.

If they did trade him though I'd want Jonathan Stewart and a 1st round pick for sure.

K Train
06-30-2012, 10:38 AM
meanwhile andre has never had more than 9 TDs in a year...just something to keep in perspective

The Lakelander
06-30-2012, 11:07 AM
Sky's the limit for Wallace ... if you all are true to your beliefs, then Wallace has played three seasons in a bad offense with a bad playbook, predicatable play calling, and a bad O-line ... so to put up those numbers in THAT scenario ought to be the tell-tale matter at hand, given that THIS Steelers offense is going to put up 30+ per game ...

BubbyBlister
06-30-2012, 11:23 AM
No way is Wallace the best receiver in the AFC.
Nope that would be Andre Johnson but I expect AJ Green to be up there too this year. Wallace does have the potential to be great though.

tburg68
06-30-2012, 11:54 AM
Wallace sucks, the Steelers should just cut him. The nerve of an NFL player trying to leverage himself for the highest deal possible.

BlitzburghRockCity
07-01-2012, 10:56 AM
meanwhile andre has never had more than 9 TDs in a year...just something to keep in perspective

And that's battling through hamstring injuries. The thing that he does, where Wallace needs to grow more, is going up after the ball in traffic. If he can do that then man oh man is he going to be amazing to watch.

Sky's the limit for Wallace ... if you all are true to your beliefs, then Wallace has played three seasons in a bad offense with a bad playbook, predicatable play calling, and a bad O-line ... so to put up those numbers in THAT scenario ought to be the tell-tale matter at hand, given that THIS Steelers offense is going to put up 30+ per game ...

I've been waiting for that for so long that I'm convinced I'll never see it...LOL

K Train
07-02-2012, 10:27 AM
And that's battling through hamstring injuries. The thing that he does, where Wallace needs to grow more, is going up after the ball in traffic. If he can do that then man oh man is he going to be amazing to watch.

I've been waiting for that for so long that I'm convinced I'll never see it...LOL

i know that, im just sayin they are different types of WRs. Id never expect wallace to be able to pluck the ball out of the air in traffic between 9 defenders, but i wouldnt expect andre to be near the deep threat as wallace. Andre is an elit eplayer at the position, but wallace's production definitely rivals him

greennick
07-02-2012, 09:15 PM
What a terrible article. First of all, we've already addressed our o line needs. Secondly, if Carolina really wanted to do this, they would have picked him up for their first rounder when they could, not traded away next year's first rounder and a pro bowler.

BubbyBlister
07-02-2012, 09:22 PM
i know that, im just sayin they are different types of WRs. Id never expect wallace to be able to pluck the ball out of the air in traffic between 9 defenders, but i wouldnt expect andre to be near the deep threat as wallace. Andre is an elit eplayer at the position, but wallace's production definitely rivals him Yep Wallace never will be that type of wr but he is special for his own talent. We may not agree on Mendy and Redman but am on the Wallace bandwagon with ya.

Danger DANJ
07-03-2012, 04:37 AM
Let's not forget that a big problem is Pierre Garcon was signed to a 5-Year, $42.5M deal...that's pretty much the starting point for the Wallace negotiations. Vincent Jackson went 5-Year, $55.6M...

Neither of them are worth the money they are being paid IMO.

It doesn't matter what they are worth, it definitely sets the market for what Wallace will get. People saying $5 Million a year are delusional. I expect Wallace to get $9 - $10 Million a year. If I were Wallace, I wouldn't accept anything less than $9 Million a year, that's for sure.

FeelSteel
07-03-2012, 09:48 AM
I would entertain a trade for Jonathan Stewart if I were the Steelers. I think it's going to be hard for the Steelers to keep both Wallace and Brown, but what do I know about managing cap space.

86WARD
07-03-2012, 11:49 AM
It doesn't matter what they are worth, it definitely sets the market for what Wallace will get. People saying $5 Million a year are delusional. I expect Wallace to get $9 - $10 Million a year. If I were Wallace, I wouldn't accept anything less than $9 Million a year, that's for sure.

That's my point. People don't think Wallace is "worth" that money, however, players with much, much lesser talents are getting paid what they are getting paid. Garçon's deal is the starting point...and Garçon isn't worth what he got paid...

86WARD
07-03-2012, 11:50 AM
I would entertain a trade for Jonathan Stewart if I were the Steelers. I think it's going to be hard for the Steelers to keep both Wallace and Brown, but what do I know about managing cap space.

It's early to say, but it might not be that hard with the potential cap increase that could come in the future years. It could be significant enough to sign Brown too...

ChucktownSteeler
07-05-2012, 04:33 PM
I think 5 - 7 million is fair to Wallace and the Steelers.