PDA

View Full Version : Belgian fan trying to make his dream come through

MrSjokedijzen
06-27-2012, 11:19 PM
Hello fellow Steeler fans

I'm a 29y old Steeler fan from Belgium, a small European country that lies right in between France and Germany (for those who missed Geography 101)

Me and my wife temporarily moved to the US because of a career opportunity. We have been living in Richmond, VA for a year but this fall, my training program will take me to Philadelphia.
I won't bore you with the details, but as it turns out, I'll be in Philadeplhia on the 9th of December, when the Steelers host the Chargers. The 9th of December also happens to be my birthday, which due to circumstances, I'll have to celebrate on my own.

I couldn't imagine a better birthday gift than treating myself to a trip to Pittsburgh to go watch the Steelers play on Sunday.
That's where a little help from Steeler Nation would come in handy... I'm a rather sociable guy, so the idea of running around by myself is not very appealing to me.

Would any of you want to show me around town, and take me to the game? Anyone has 2 season tickets but his/her buddy can't make it Dec 9th? Needless to say I'll pay of course.

I fully understand committing yourself without knowing more about me might seem scary, therefore, you can send me a pm on this forum. Let me know if you'd like to show a die hard Steeler fan from Europe what Steeler Nation is all about.

Thanks in advance
Ben

BlitzburghRockCity
06-27-2012, 11:32 PM
Hey Ben, a belated welcome to the U.S friend.

You're best bet for tickets to that game is to watch places like the Steelers Ticket Exchange, Ebay, Stubhub, etc. There are always tickets there for the game but you'll pay a bit more of course simply because they are brokers or private sellers trying to unload their tickets.

We have many members in Pittsburgh who might be able to meet up with you. We always do a tailgate before the home games which is open to everyone. Stlrs4life hosts it and always enjoys the company, you can bring your own food or just pay a small donation to him to cover what you eat.

LarryNJ
06-28-2012, 01:08 PM
Welcome aboard Ben,

While in Philly there's a great bar in center city with tons of Steeler fans every game. Fox & Hound 15th & Spruce I'd be happy to meet you and catch a game with you. The great thing is it's only 1 block away from Monks which is a really cool Belgium beer pub. We'll get the best beer and football team. Belgium beer and Pittsburgh Steelers! :)

ChucktownSteeler
06-29-2012, 02:29 AM
Welcome, Ben. I can't help but would like to welcome you to the board.

By the responses posted you can see for yourself this is a great site.

C-town

BubbyBlister
06-29-2012, 12:31 PM
Likewise can't help either but welcome to the board Ben.

BlitzburghRockCity
07-01-2012, 11:05 PM
It should go without saying but never hurts to mention, it's friggin cold in Pittsburgh in December. Now last year was a mild winter for PA but don't expect the same this year. When you go through the mountains on the turnpike and head closer to Pittsburgh the weather changes quickly so come prepared just in case.

JensK
07-02-2012, 05:21 AM
I have yet to visit Pittsburgh myself, but my parents went and watched a game last year (against Jaguars iirc), and they told me that once you get there it is no problem to get people to show you all kinds of stuff. For instance, they got a taxi-driver to give them a small tour around the city and showed them some of the places they should visit etc. I wouldnt be too worried about that. Same goes with the actual game. I've been to 2 games, one in New York and one in San Francisco and both had extremely nice people who was more than willing to share food and company.

My point is, I believe you'll be just fine without getting a designated tour-guide to show you around! :) Just get over there and enjoy yourself.

If you have not ordered tickets yet, rumors has it that Norwegian Airlines will introduce a new type of Airplane around September which should allow them to fly from any point in Europe to New York, both ways, for roughly 300$.

CowherPower
07-02-2012, 10:23 AM
The airports in NY aren't all that far from Philly either.

Once you're in Pittsburgh and you're wearing Steelers gear, everybody is your friend :D