PDA

View Full Version : Pens eyeing Suter/Parise...enter Bobby Ryan?

steelersbabex25
06-25-2012, 04:19 PM
An interesting article..

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1235008-nhl-rumors-pittsburgh-penguins-should-pass-on-parise-trade-for-bobby-ryan

The Pittsburgh Penguins have probably been the team that's made the most noise around the NHL over the past few days.

After trading Jordan Staal to Carolina, the Penguins went on to make two first-round selections on the first night of the draft, then topped it all off by dealing veteran defenseman Zbynek Michalek to the Phoenix Coyotes, in what can only be seen as a salary dump.

That last move by Penguins' GM Ray Shero, has prompted many to start asking whether Shero is done for the offseason, or if he is looking to make another huge splash in the coming weeks.

Logic would certainly dictate he is leaning towards the latter.

As a result, rumors have emerged that the Penguins are the latest players in the Zach Parise and Ryan Suter sweepstakes.

For Pittsburgh fans, this can't be anything but good, right?

I mean, sure, they have to re-sign Sidney Crosby sometime before he becomes an unrestricted free agent next offseason, but seeing as his cap hit already sits at $8.7 million, they probably won't need to use more than $300,000 of their $14.5 million in cap space on their captain.

The same goes for their other superstar center Evgeni Malkin, who takes up the identical amount of cap space as Crosby does.

That leaves well over $10 million of cap space to pursue players like Suter and Parise.

Should Ray Shero scrap any plans to sign Zach Parise and make a play for Bobby Ryan instead?

That, however, may not be the best option for the Penguins.

While Parise is an elite forward who recently led his team to the Stanley Cup Finals, he will, in all likelihood, command nearly $8 million a season for six or seven years on the free agent market.

As for Suter, he'll also be looking for a long-term place to call home and about $7 million per season.

With Pittsburgh already possessing a talented core of young defensemen, and another two taken in this year's entry draft, do the Penguins really need a guy like Ryan Suter to win another championship?

Enter Bobby Ryan.

Now we're talking about a 25-year-old winger who has tallied at least 30 goals in each of the past four seasons. That's a feat that not even Parise has managed.

Ryan would also come with a cap hit about $2 million less than what Parise will probably cost, and is also under contract for another three seasons.

Another potential advantage for the Penguins if they could bring in Bobby Ryan? They could very well be taking him away from their in-state and divisional rival Philadelphia Flyers, who are rumored to be in hot pursuit of the Cherry Hill, NJ native.

What could be better than bringing in a perennial 30 goal scorer, who is still only 25 years old, all while swooping in and plucking him from the clutches of your arch rivals?

We all know by now that the Pens have created quite a bit of cap space after getting rid of Staal and Michalek, and I think we'd all agree that the next step is getting a winger for Crosby, which seems to be where Shero is leaning. I, for one, am I all for the Penguins targeting Parise, that line would be absolutely unstoppable. But this article raises an interesting point about Bobby Ryan. He'll come cheaper and we'll possibly be able to snatch him away from the Flyers. Thoughts?

LatrobePA
06-25-2012, 04:33 PM
In Shero I trust! Great article, thanks!

LarryNJ
06-25-2012, 05:02 PM
I'd much rather have Parise and let the Flyers have Ryan. If Parise goes elsewhere (hopefully not to Philly) I'd take Semin, Ryan Smyth, Shane Doan or Bobby Ryan.

Prosdo
06-30-2012, 10:03 PM
Come on Parise!!!!!

Prosdo
07-01-2012, 10:18 AM
Love you Photoshop!

http://img713.imageshack.us/img713/3953/parisepens.jpg

LarryNJ
07-02-2012, 11:20 AM
I think it's looking dim. There has been some crazy $$ thrown around at guys that are average. I'd be surprised if we get crazy and over pay him. What Pittsburgh team ever gets the big FA?

Prosdo
07-02-2012, 01:11 PM
Its between the Wild, Pens, and Devils right now.

LarryNJ
07-02-2012, 02:28 PM
Really? No Flyers or Detroit? That's encouraging.

steelersbabex25
07-02-2012, 02:34 PM
I think we've got Parise. I can feel it.

Prosdo
07-02-2012, 02:46 PM
Hoping so. I hate the waiting game.

scudmissile29
07-04-2012, 05:18 PM
LMAO.

Parise going to the Wild.

LOL at your hopes, nobody wants to play hockey in Pittsburgh, they are the new Washington Capitals until they prove they aren't.

It says a lot when you go to the Wild and not the Penguins.

LarryNJ
07-05-2012, 01:35 PM
I was surprised that the Wild landed both of them. I am glad they didn't end up in our division or conference. Best of luck to them and the Wild.

If we can get Ryan without giving up too much, which Shero probably won't do, he'd be my first choice. Followed by Shane Doan, and I'd even take a shot at Semin as long as it wasn't a long term contract. The guy is great when he is on, unfortunately he isn't always on.

steelersbabex25
07-05-2012, 05:26 PM
Bobby Ryan is still an option.

scudmissile29
07-06-2012, 09:09 AM
At least we had a solid draft with that trade for the defenseman in the first couple of picks.

Prosdo
07-06-2012, 09:41 AM
Bobby Ryan is still an option.

I've heard his name come up a lot in the media regarding a possible trade with the Pens. Columbus is asking for way too much currently for Rick Nash.

LarryNJ
07-06-2012, 09:58 AM
Yes I figured to get Nash we would have to give up the entire future, certainly Shero wouldn't do that. If he can put together a deal and get Ryan that would be awesome.

Would you want to take a chance with Semin? I know he is off and on, but the guy is as talented as they come. I would love to see him on Sids wing. As long as it is not a long term contract. But what team would give him a long term?

steelersbabex25
07-06-2012, 12:21 PM
Yes I figured to get Nash we would have to give up the entire future, certainly Shero wouldn't do that. If he can put together a deal and get Ryan that would be awesome.

Would you want to take a chance with Semin? I know he is off and on, but the guy is as talented as they come. I would love to see him on Sids wing. As long as it is not a long term contract. But what team would give him a long term?

I wouldn't mind Semin at all, but I don't know if he'd want to play with the Pens.

Honestly at this point I wouldn't mind any decent player. We NEED a winger for Sid. It's been a search that has honestly been going on for way too long.

scudmissile29
07-09-2012, 10:36 PM
Who would possibly want Semin, he's an ex-Capital, no thanks.

Also, his name is weird.

LatrobePA
07-10-2012, 12:28 AM
Semin is a little beotch!

steelersbabex25
07-10-2012, 01:52 PM
Who would possibly want Semin, he's an ex-Capital, no thanks.

Also, his name is weird.

Also a good player..

scudmissile29
07-15-2012, 11:41 AM
Also a good player..

I can't take him seriously when the announcer screams Semin after he scores.

I would push for Nash, but we will see what they do.

Ibleedblk&gld
07-15-2012, 12:17 PM
You do realize it's sEMin, not semen...right?

scudmissile29
07-15-2012, 01:29 PM
yes but he's suppose to be pronounced "semen"...

like in russia natasha is said different than the USA tognue.

steelersbabex25
07-15-2012, 08:23 PM
You can't take him seriously after he scores because of his name? We sure need more fans like you...

LarryNJ
07-16-2012, 12:06 PM
yes but he's suppose to be pronounced "semen"...

like in russia natasha is said different than the USA tognue.

:LOL Thanks for the po-russki lesson but you are not correct. Semin is actually properly pronounced "Syomin". Natasha is pronounced the same in Moscow as it is in New York. Although it is usually shortened to simply Nata. Now it's very possible that they both are pronounced differently in Pittsburgh because they all talk funny there.

I'm more than willing to give him a shot as along as it's not long term. The guy is a top 10 talent without a doubt.

LarryNJ
07-16-2012, 12:21 PM
From this years world championship final game.

http://img685.imageshack.us/img685/9510/ovechkindatsyuksemin.jpg

LarryNJ
07-16-2012, 12:25 PM
http://i.thestar.com/images/3a/99/cae82d78429c82b9cb190fe7d384.jpg

http://www.russianmachineneverbreaks.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/05/malkin-putin.jpg

scudmissile29
07-16-2012, 06:26 PM
:LOL Thanks for the po-russki lesson but you are not correct. Semin is actually properly pronounced "Syomin". Natasha is pronounced the same in Moscow as it is in New York. Although it is usually shortened to simply Nata. Now it's very possible that they both are pronounced differently in Pittsburgh because they all talk funny there.

I'm more than willing to give him a shot as along as it's not long term. The guy is a top 10 talent without a doubt.

you are totally wrong with syomin. its semen.

steelersbabex25
07-16-2012, 10:21 PM
Yeah Larry, didn't you know that he's fluent in Russian? Sheesh.

LarryNJ
07-17-2012, 11:16 AM
My mistake..sorry.. I stand corrected! ;)

LatrobePA
07-17-2012, 11:27 AM
Why in the hell are we talking about semen Ovie's fav drink???

steelersbabex25
07-17-2012, 12:19 PM
Cause he's easily a top 10 player right now and he would be a good addition to the Pens...

LatrobePA
07-17-2012, 01:04 PM
Sorry my mind was thinking in the gutter...

scudmissile29
07-18-2012, 11:47 AM
Yeah Larry, didn't you know that he's fluent in Russian? Sheesh.

I have a russian friend.

Just saying...

Just get a winger in the next draft.

LarryNJ
07-18-2012, 05:07 PM
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Ibleedblk&gld
07-19-2012, 06:38 AM
My friends cousins sisters dogs owner once knew a guy who knew a girl who had an aunt that knew a man who was the son of a Russian guy...I'll ask my friend to find out the true pronunciation...

Stand by

scudmissile29
07-26-2012, 04:37 PM
SEMIN signs with 'Canes.

LatrobePA
07-26-2012, 11:52 PM
Horse ****!

scudmissile29
07-27-2012, 07:47 AM
Why does nobody want to sign with the Pens? LOL

LatrobePA
07-27-2012, 09:48 AM
Why does nobody want to sign with the Pens? LOL

They suck! lol

scudmissile29
07-27-2012, 08:48 PM
Hehe, personally I think they have become the new Capitals.