PDA

View Full Version : Steelers hire special teams coach.....

DIESELMAN
01-26-2007, 06:30 PM
New head coach Mike Tomlin has made another hire on his coaching staff and it's someone with ties to Pittsburgh.

New head coach Mike Tomlinís first staff with the Pittsburgh Steelers continues to take shape as he has filled one opening and appears close to filling another.

According to the St. Louis Dispatch, Tomlin has hired former Rams special teams coach Bob Ligashesky to replace Kevin Spencer. Spencer joined Ken Whisenhuntís staff in Arizona last week in the same capacity.

The 44-year-old Ligashesky is a Pittsburgh native and played football at IUP. He also coached special teams at the University of Pittsburgh from 2000 through 2003.

Prior to joining the Rams in 2005, Ligashesky, who was fired earlier this week by St. Louis, served as special teams coach of the Jacksonville Jaguars in 2004. Under Ligashesky in 2006, St. Louis finished 25th in the league in punt returns, 26th in kickoff returns and 28th in kickoff coverage.

But placekicker Jeff Wilkins did finish second in the NFL in scoring with 131 points, making 32 of 37 field goals. And the teamís net punt average of 39.0 yards was also second in the NFL.

The hiring of Ligashesky leaves Tomlin with three openings on his staff, running backs, wide receivers and offensive line.

Tomlin may be close to filling one of those as he is reportedly talking to former Arizona Cardinals running backs coach Kirby Wilson about replacing Dick Hoak, who retired from the same position with the Steelers after more than 40 years with the team.

The 45-year-old Wilson, 45, had been with the Cardinals since 2004 but was not retained by Whisenhunt. Wilson coached in Tampa Bay in 2002 and 2003 when Tomlin was the teamís secondary coach.

By SteelCityInsider.com
Posted Jan 26, 2007
We'll see how this works out.....

K Train
01-26-2007, 06:33 PM
our ST coach doesnt matter if we draft that punter i want lol

SteelersfaninPhilly
01-26-2007, 06:41 PM
It matters a whole lot if your special teams cannot cover.

SteelerSal
01-26-2007, 07:23 PM
Prior to joining the Rams in 2005, Ligashesky, who was fired earlier this week by St. Louis, served as special teams coach of the Jacksonville Jaguars in 2004. Under Ligashesky in 2006, St. Louis finished 25th in the league in punt returns, 26th in kickoff returns and 28th in kickoff coverage.

Lets see here for a minute, his coaching expertise allowed his team to finish 25th, 26th and 28th. There are still only 32 teams, right?

Gonna be a long season watching our Sp. Teams.

AZ_Steeler
01-26-2007, 07:27 PM
Wow... Rams were ranked 26th last year and the Steelers were dead last or at least close it... I guess it's an improvement! :lol:

Koopa
01-26-2007, 07:27 PM
i'm starting to think tomlin is nothing more then a puppet, i bet all these hirings are art and colberts hires.............

Black@Gold Forever32
01-26-2007, 07:31 PM
i'm starting to think tomlin is nothing more then a puppet, i bet all these hirings are art and colberts hires.............

Oh God Koop is starting the smack talk with Tomlin.lol That didn't take long.:bluelol:

Back to the topic. This is a strange hire. The Rams special teams sucked.

BlitzburghRockCity
01-26-2007, 07:33 PM
WTF !! Kinda coach is that ! Our special teams were bad enough now they're gonna be worse !!!

Koopa
01-26-2007, 07:34 PM
Oh God Koop is starting the smack talk with Tomlin.lol That didn't take long.:bluelol:

Back to the topic. This is a strange hire. The Rams special teams sucked.

i'm not smacking him, it's more to art and colbert, they are just making him a puppet and not letting him do what he wants to do, he didn't even really get his own staff, it was cowher left overs

Black@Gold Forever32
01-26-2007, 07:39 PM
i'm not smacking him, it's more to art and colbert, they are just making him a puppet and not letting him do what he wants to do, he didn't even really get his own staff, it was cowher left overs

Just joking with you Koop.:bigthumb:

I doubt Tomlin is a puppet. The guy seems to have to much pride to be a puppet. But this is a questionable hire for a coach.

Captcoolhand
01-26-2007, 07:48 PM
I got to agree with koopa, Tomlin looks to be just crabbing anyone who can fill a need.:dunno:
But I got to consider, this is his First Rodeo, so he's got to learn and start somewhere:yesnod:

Black@Gold Forever32
01-26-2007, 07:50 PM
Well this guy doesn't look like a good coach at all. But we can't judge him until we see how our special teams play this year.

BlitzburghRockCity
01-26-2007, 07:51 PM
This whole, "hire people who are a good guys who happen to be good coaches" thing is starting to make me wonder. Im sure they are good guys, but damn their track record sux !

SteelerSal
01-26-2007, 07:54 PM
I got to agree with koopa, Tomlin looks to be just crabbing anyone who can fill a need.:dunno:
But I got to consider, this is his First Rodeo, so he's got to learn and start somewhere:yesnod:

Don't want his learning process to interfere with us winning.:banging:

Read on another site that he was talking to the Cardinals RB coach. The Running game has been awful in Arizona for years.:scratch:

House of Steel
01-26-2007, 07:58 PM
Well that was a joke for a hire. Looking at the stats, myself, I say we are in for another pathetic season at ST. DAMN.

I don't like the sound of what you just mentioned, Steelersal. Just what the hell is going on with hiring pathetic people to fill in the roles? We need talented coaches, one that has proven to be efficient and respected. This is going to be some ride this season.

BlitzburghRockCity
01-26-2007, 08:10 PM
As far as the Running game in Arizona goes, they've had no OL in nearly a decade so I can't fault him completely for that but still I'd rather see proven winners join our ranks, not a bunch of castoffs from other teams.

House of Steel
01-26-2007, 08:11 PM
I am glad someone sees the light in my opinion. :iagree:

Koopa
01-26-2007, 08:17 PM
well, we also have to realize, we ain't gonna get the cream of the crop for position coaches, if we are expecting that then we are stupid ****s lol..... all the good ones have jobs......the guys we are getting our out of jobs, for all we know, they might be the best available............ so we better just wait till the season begins and not judge them off of stats that don't matter cause those are with different shittier teams......... and any coach will look bad when they don't have talent.........

plus, all we have to do is hold on to the ball on special teams and we'll be set.......those stats they show are probably just run avg and **** like that, sometimes overrated stats and it could be that other teams just sucked and weren't kicking to where the other team had room to run and build up yards............

Stairwayto7
01-26-2007, 08:19 PM
Another coach from the BUrgh! I like

Koopa
01-26-2007, 08:19 PM
As far as the Running game in Arizona goes, they've had no OL in nearly a decade so I can't fault him completely for that but still I'd rather see proven winners join our ranks, not a bunch of castoffs from other teams.

well i guess this will also go with what i said in my post above, we can't expect the cream of the crop....... all the good ones are jobs, for all we know these are the best available.........also, you can't be a proven winner when you coach with **** *** teams.......not everyone coached for the steelers, pats, colts.........

BlitzburghRockCity
01-26-2007, 08:22 PM
We better block on ST too or holding onto the ball will be the least of our problems ;)

I hope all these guys work out and work out great for us, but initial reaction doesn't look too hopeful. We'll all be singing Tomlin's praises if these additions make our team better but if they don't we'll saying I told ya so :lol:

Black@Gold Forever32
01-26-2007, 08:24 PM
We better block on ST too or holding onto the ball will be the least of our problems ;)

I hope all these guys work out and work out great for us, but initial reaction doesn't look too hopeful. We'll all be singing Tomlin's praises if these additions make our team better but if they don't we'll saying I told ya so :lol:

I think this hire is a question mark. But we won't know how all these new coaches work out and that includes Tomlin until we how the team performs.

steelcurtain09
01-26-2007, 08:33 PM
St. Louis was actually worse than Pittsburgh last year
19th on punt returns vs. 25th for the Rams
21st kickoff returns vs. 26th
18th kickoff coverage vs. 28th

and no matter how bad ne one says the Steelers were on coverage...
they were 2nd on punt coverage vs 19th for the Rams...
i think it was a bad choice to both let Spencer go and now to hire this guy

if u doubt me...
own returns (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/statistics?stat=teamreturn&sort=pavg&pos=off&league=nfl&season=2&year=2006) opposition returns (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/statistics?stat=teamreturn&pos=def&league=nfl&season=2&year=2006)

this is definitely a step down from last year

BlitzburghRockCity
01-26-2007, 08:39 PM
I think this hire is a question mark. But we won't know how all these new coaches work out and that includes Tomlin until we how the team performs.

We as Steeler fans have been spoiled over the last decade by good hiring of assistant coaches overall. sure we had some glitches along the way like Jay Hayes for example, Ray Sherman, etc but overall Cowher was very adept to choosing a staff to fit us.

This wait and see game sux....

Koopa
01-26-2007, 08:41 PM
do y'all remember what tomlin said, coaching is sometimes overrated, it's more about the players you have...or some **** like that....y'all way over looking into this ****........we have better talent.....we are a better team.........y'all need to calm the hell down lol

BlitzburghRockCity
01-26-2007, 09:00 PM
Oh you're one to talk.. you get fired up quicker than anybody Ive ever seen. This whole calm koopa act you got going isnt fooling anybody dude ! :lol:

We have the same talent as last year, its up to the coaches to get the most out of our players and our players to step up to the challenge.

Koopa
01-26-2007, 09:01 PM
Oh you're one to talk.. you get fired up quicker than anybody Ive ever seen. This whole calm koopa act you got going isnt fooling anybody dude ! :lol:

We have the same talent as last year, its up to the coaches to get the most out of our players and our players to step up to the challenge.

exactly, but the way y'all are talking is like we've already played the season and went 0-16.........give to at least week 8 before y'all start saying they are failures.................

Black@Gold Forever32
01-26-2007, 09:24 PM
**** I'm one to fly off the deep end during the season. But when its the off-season I take the wait and see approach. I'm not thrilled with some of these choices for coaches. But hey we won't know for sure until we see the team play.

BlitzburghRockCity
01-26-2007, 09:27 PM
exactly, but the way y'all are talking is like we've already played the season and went 0-16.........give to at least week 8 before y'all start saying they are failures.................

Exactly so take your own advice and stop touting Tomlin as the 2nd coming like you've done since the day he was announced. He could stink up the joint and then you'll eat your words and say he sucked. You don't know if he'll be great or not yet but you hope he will just like we all do.

Koopa
01-26-2007, 09:32 PM
Exactly so take your own advice and stop touting Tomlin as the 2nd coming like you've done since the day he was announced. He could stink up the joint and then you'll eat your words and say he sucked. You don't know if he'll be great or not yet but you hope he will just like we all do.

i don't care, he was obviously the best of the 3 candidates know matter what....so of course i'm gonna show support for him..........

BlitzburghRockCity
01-26-2007, 09:41 PM
Support is one thing but you downed every other guy and said they all suck, they were too fat, underrated, too influenced by Cowher, the whole 9 yards. Go back and read all your posts in all the coaches threads, to refresh you're memory ;)

We all support him as our coach whether we agree he should be there or not but we're also realistic and realize what the other coaches who were finalists did for us over the years as opposed to bashing them.

Koopa
01-26-2007, 09:47 PM
Support is one thing but you downed every other guy and said they all suck, they were too fat, underrated, too influenced by Cowher, the whole 9 yards. Go back and read all your posts in all the coaches threads, to refresh you're memory ;)

We all support him as our coach whether we agree he should be there or not but we're also realistic and realize what the other coaches who were finalists did for us over the years as opposed to bashing them.

well i said a few times that i like grimm, i was just talking ****............ mainly to get on your nerves and i succeed lol

i'm just talking him up cause you keep talking him down, you even started a thread basically saying you want nothing to do with him.........

grimm is a "assistant head coach" for a reason.......he is no good, he gets passed over everywhere he interviews and the team ends up being better........ grimm is nothing more then a pity case actually..... steelers felt bad when he got passed over by the bears and gave him the title, and then whiz felt bad for him and gave him the same title..........

i'll probably turn on tomlin soon, i just hate coaches......i hate the spurs coach i hated cowher, it's only a matter of time........but for now, i have to back him up cause ppl talk down on him or did.............

also grimm is old and a drunk, i don't want that as a steelers head coach.....i like the youth we have now.......old ppl suck lol

House of Steel
01-26-2007, 09:49 PM
I guess when I become a head coach of a High School team, Koopa will compare me to the fat *** Grimm he so calls. I am a fat *** too. :lol:

Koopa
01-26-2007, 09:53 PM
I guess when I become a head coach of a High School team, Koopa will compare me to the fat *** Grimm he so calls. I am a fat *** too. :lol:

are you serious about being a head coach of a high school team???

SteelerSal
01-26-2007, 09:55 PM
grimm is a "assistant head coach" for a reason.......he is no good, he gets passed over everywhere he interviews and the team ends up being better........ grimm is nothing more then a pity case actually..... steelers felt bad when he got passed over by the bears and gave him the title, and then whiz felt bad for him and gave him the same title..........

Most coaches are better suited for a supporting role and Grimm fits that role, period. Lebeau fits that mold also, not takin anything away from his skills of course.

SteelerNation
01-26-2007, 10:05 PM
I was looking and this was a step down i dont care really what people say. You have to keep it real people .. Mabye just maybe he will do alot better then he did in with the RAMS but. the fact we even thought about hireing a guy like this blows me aways im lost right now and. i dont want to see how are SP does this year cause if we play like he had his players play in the rams. You can forget about makeing the SB. cause are SP's is a big factor to us . You look what happend this last season we droped like 5 ,6 balls on SP's i dont think the acc number but none of the less. you get my point.

Owell lets just pray we do better then what im thinking.

Aunkster
01-26-2007, 11:35 PM

DONT WORRY KOOP I GOT YOUR BACK>>:lol: :lol: :lol:

House of Steel
01-27-2007, 12:13 AM
are you serious about being a head coach of a high school team???

I am looking into it, but doesn't mean I am going to get it anytime soon. I have had offers in the past to be a coordinator.

Koopa
01-27-2007, 12:17 AM
I am looking into it, but doesn't mean I am going to get it anytime soon. I have had offers in the past to be a coordinator.

oh, i was just wondering cause that other thread you said you couldn't work out of your house.............

House of Steel
01-27-2007, 12:19 AM
I know that. My wife and I are talking about down the road when things are better off for her. She is going through threapy and has a dietican, so therefore, I can probably see this happen in about a year or two possibly. Sorry, for the confusion.